odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
May 11th, 2011 at 1:22:53 PM permalink
Just noticed both senators from Nevada are Mormon. No one seems to mention that, as they do with Romney.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
May 11th, 2011 at 1:30:17 PM permalink
Mormons were often used in the developing days of Las Vegas. They don't gamble and so could be trusted more than many others.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
May 11th, 2011 at 1:37:23 PM permalink
It's a hop, skip and jump to Utah. Although it's not a non-issue in local politics, probably not as much of an issue because of location. Unless you're a big loud mouth about it, or a polygamist

Reid has been in office quite awhile, and wasn't the position of Senate majority leader more or less just going to happen with the change in Congress?

Now if he were to run for President ... well, it ain't going to ever happen anyway.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
May 11th, 2011 at 2:30:25 PM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

Just noticed both senators from Nevada are Mormon. No one seems to mention that, as they do with Romney.

I didn't know that about Dean Heller. As was mentioned, there are quite a few here in Nevada. He neither gets nor loses points with me for that, compared to the average allegedly church-going politician.

Speaking of Reid, if you're ever driving southbound on the 95, Reid's house is a big one, all by itself, with a flag on top, just before you roll into the main part of Searchlight.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
May 11th, 2011 at 2:41:48 PM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

They're already politicians, which is a huge strike against them anyway...
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Wavy70
Wavy70
  • Threads: 15
May 11th, 2011 at 3:57:41 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Speaking of Reid, if you're ever driving southbound on the 95, Reid's house is a big one, all by itself, with a flag on top, just before you roll into the main part of Searchlight.

Have you ever been to the Joshua Tree forest past Reid's house? Nicer than Joshua Tree NP and almost deserted. Good driving loop (4WD). On the right a few miles past The Walking Box Ranch.
I have a bewitched egg that I use to play VP with and I have net over 900k with it.
7outlineaway
7outlineaway
  • Threads: 9
May 11th, 2011 at 4:04:26 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Reid has been in office quite awhile, and wasn't the position of Senate majority leader more or less just going to happen with the change in Congress?

He was minority whip before congress changed hands in 2006. That's pretty much the career path. Pelosi in the House was the same way.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
May 11th, 2011 at 4:07:25 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I didn't know that about Dean Heller. As was mentioned, there are quite a few here in Nevada. He neither gets nor loses points with me for that, compared to the average allegedly church-going politician.

There is a main part of Searchlight?

There were lots of Mormons in AZ as well. "Deseret" was to be a state in their plans and takes up most of AZ, NV, UT, and parts of CA.

I never understood why people had or have a problem with the average mormon. I worked for one for most of a summer. He brought up he was a member of LDS but didn't bother anyone about it. He was happy to answer basic questions if they came up. One thing I learned was they (at least he) had the option of doing their missionary work overseas. He did his in Europe.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
  • Jump to: