billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
July 22nd, 2017 at 12:59:01 PM permalink
Which is your favorite, and do you add water?

I generally pour out the sauce, then put an ounce or two of water into the jar, close it and shake it to get the residual sauce out, but I've been watching youtube videos and many people add an entire jar of water .

My favorite is Paul Newman's brand Sausage Sauce, or his Vodka Sauce with Classico a close second, and Prego a distant third. I add enough stuff- onions, peppers, cheeses to the sauce that it takes on its own flavor but don't see the point of making sauce from scratch.
Last edited by: billryan on Jul 22, 2017
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
July 22nd, 2017 at 1:13:57 PM permalink
Hunt's, that comes in a can, is as good as any of them.

If you get a deer processed, you wind up with a lot of hamburger, and it can be pretty lean, in fact I ask for it that way. They can add beef or pork fat to make it whatever - but when fat is needed you can do this yourself. Making meatballs and covering them with the sauce, then bringing to a simmer [do not boil] for a good hour, is one hell of a great way to use this stuff up. Meatball subs, spaghetti and meatballs, whatever.

In fact no matter what kind of leftover meat you have this is a pretty good way to use it up too. Even chicken. No need to grind it up, just drop it right in there and make pasta.

PS: I add as little water as possible to get the last bit of sauce out.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
billryan
billryan
July 22nd, 2017 at 1:23:19 PM permalink
Not a Hunt's fan, but everyone has their own favorite. I sometimes added a can of their Five Cheese sauce to several other jars of ' better stuff" when making a ten pound lasagna or ziti, but living alone, those days are gone.
Never had venison meatballs. They sound interesting. My friend had a meat grinder and we ground up some prime rib once. While it made a great hamburger, it surprisingly didn't add much to the meatballs, except for cost.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 26
Thanked by
onenickelmiracle
July 22nd, 2017 at 2:10:00 PM permalink
I get whatever the cheapest brand is with no corn syrup, and I don't add water.
rsactuary
rsactuary
  • Threads: 29
July 22nd, 2017 at 2:10:32 PM permalink
OMG. Make your own.. it's easy and so much better. I can post a recipe if you want.
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
  • Threads: 57
July 22nd, 2017 at 2:24:20 PM permalink
I mix 1/2 jar red sauce with 1/2 jar white sauce, no water.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
July 22nd, 2017 at 5:18:18 PM permalink
Quote: rsactuary

OMG. Make your own.. it's easy and so much better. I can post a recipe if you want.

Yeah, post an easy recipe. Thanks.

I use sauces without sugar in them and add things. Newman's is a favorite. I also only use enough water to rinse the jar clean of it; I like thick sauce.

My one secret is, place a whole carrot in the sauce while it is simmering (I like to simmer at least an hour.) Throw away the carrot. It will add a little sweetness to the sauce while absorbing most of the acid, so no heartburn after dinner.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
tringlomane
tringlomane
  • Threads: 8
July 22nd, 2017 at 6:20:34 PM permalink
We use this.

Don't use water.
billryan
billryan
July 22nd, 2017 at 6:52:12 PM permalink
Quote: tringlomane

We use this.

Don't use water.

Old favorite of mine, until I discovered Classico. I generally stock up when I see my brand on sale. Not unusual to have 8-10 jars in my pantry.
If I'm low and Rinaldi is on sale I'll buy a couple jars to hold me over.
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
  • Threads: 30
July 23rd, 2017 at 12:35:25 AM permalink
I have used this method. However it is like 1% harder to make it yourself. I mean, I use canned paste, but basically you just start with that and throw in what you like, fresh, which you are doing anyway. You just have to throw in a few extra things. Fresh. And it is dramatically better.

Recipes are for the weak. Pasta sauce is the domain of the improvisor. The visionary. The dreamweaver.

However, I almost always use a ton of wine and a healthy amount of olive oil. Those are my professional tips.

I invented putting a layer of mozzarella on top of ziti or rigatoni.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
July 23rd, 2017 at 8:11:54 AM permalink
I use Prego and only add a little garlic powder
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
OnceDear
OnceDear
  • Threads: 63
Thanked by
Rigondeaux
July 23rd, 2017 at 8:43:26 AM permalink
Quote: Rigondeaux

I have used this method. However it is like 1% harder to make it yourself. I mean, I use canned paste, but basically you just start with that and throw in what you like, fresh, which you are doing anyway. You just have to throw in a few extra things. Fresh. And it is dramatically better.

Recipes are for the weak. Pasta sauce is the domain of the improvisor. The visionary. The dreamweaver.

However, I almost always use a ton of wine and a healthy amount of olive oil. Those are my professional tips.

I invented putting a layer of mozzarella on top of ziti or rigatoni.

Great post !!!!!!
For genuine Italian style Bolognese sauce, equal measure Onions, Carrots, Celery and just a bits of tomato ( canned, pureed or pasata) and no herbs or garlic.
But genuine Italian style sucks! What do they know?

I must say that carrots are essential as are oregano and garlic and wine.
Adding mushrooms is, of course, heresy.
Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
OnceDear
OnceDear
July 23rd, 2017 at 9:10:56 AM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

Yeah, post an easy recipe. Thanks.

OnceDear's pasta sauce.
1 large carrot. Diced to 1cm
1 large onion diced
2 sticks celery diced
6oz unsmoked sliced bacon, diced to 1cm squares
8oz lean ground beef
1 14oz can quality plum tomatoes chopped.
4 salad tomatoes chopped roughly with skin on.
2 large glasses Cabernet Sauvignon or Merlot. ( retain some more in the bottle )
1 stock cube ( I use chicken ) made up with 6 fl oz boiling water.
2 oz tomato puree.
some olive oil
teaspoon dried oregano
1 bay leaf (optional)
2 crushed cloves of garlic ( optional )

Fry the carrots in a splash of oil for a couple of minutes.
add the onions and garlic and celery
fry till the onions go soft but not brown.
put those ingredients aside in a big saucepan

Fry the bacon in a splash of oil till just starting to brown. Add the ground beef (Seasoned lightly with salt and pepper) and just brown that. .

Move that to the big pan.
Add the tomatoes, tomato puree, bay leaf and stock to the big pan
Add one glass of wine to the pan
Drink the other glass of wine.

Simmer the big pan for 45 minutes
Add the oregano. simmer for 15 more minutes.
remove and discard the bay leaf.
Then, either serve with al-dente pasta of your choosing, or better still, let it go cold to reheat and serve the next day ( or freeze it)
Maybe sprinkle with a hard cheese or chedder when serving.
Drink the rest of that wine.

You could make the sauce up without the meat and add fried meatballs later. Meatballs made with a mix of pork sausage meat, beef and finely chopped bacon go well.

Nom Nom Nom.
Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
rsactuary
rsactuary
  • Threads: 29
July 23rd, 2017 at 10:20:54 AM permalink
rsactuary's pasta sauce (with meat)

Butter
Olive Oil
½ cup diced onions
½ cup diced green bell peppers
2 cloves garlic, diced
2 cups diced tomatoes
2 cups tomato sauce
1 cup water
¼ cup chopped, fresh parsley leaves
1 ½ tsp Italian Seasonings
1 tsp Salt
½ tsp Black Pepper
½ tsp Garlic powder
1 ½ tsp Seasoning salt
1 ½ tsp Sugar (optional)
2 Bay leaves
1 ½ lbs Lean ground beef
Optional: Parmesan Cheese

Brown ground beef and drain.

In a large sauce pot, over medium heat, sauté onions, green peppers and garlic in butter and olive oil until onions are soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.

Add in all other ingredients except Parmesan Cheese and parsley and simmer for one hour. Remove bay leaves. I leave pot uncovered. You need to watch in case it starts getting too thick.

With about 5 minutes to go, add parsley and fresh parmesan cheese that has been grated using a microplane.

My comments: I used 28oz cans of diced tomatoes and tomato sauce, which is more than 2 cups, which is why I simmered uncovered. I increased the proportions of everything else (ie: heaping measurements), to keep the flavor even.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
Thanked by
Joeman
July 23rd, 2017 at 11:20:23 AM permalink
Now, wait a minute, this thread is not titled "for those who don't use jarred spaghetti sauce" ... J/K
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
OnceDear
OnceDear
July 23rd, 2017 at 11:23:38 AM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

Now, wait a minute, this thread is not titled "for those who don't use jarred spaghetti sauce" ... J/K

No. But it is in the 'off topic' sub-forum, so our replies are on-topic :)
Alright. To answer the OP. Just use enough water to rinse all to goodness out of the jar. But then just consider the jar to hold a base ingredient to your own masterpiece.
billryan
billryan
July 23rd, 2017 at 12:39:53 PM permalink
I've tried making my own sauce. It takes a long time and isn't any better than the stuff I can buy. It's healthier, but when I factor everything in, I go with the jars.
I like cheese. When I cook a pound of pasta, I generally use four ounces of parmesan cheese either in the cooking or on the plate.
I use a pound of chopped meat per pound of pasta, and usually two jars of sauce. Stir the parmesan in the sauce while cooking, add parmesan to the noodles while they are draining, add more as I'm mixing the two and even more when I have plated the food. Perhaps the pasta is just a delivery system for the cheese.
Used to use a lot of ricotta, but it is much more money out here. In NY I could get a three pound tub for under $7 on sale. Here a two pound tub is about $10.
Still have not found a store in the area that sells Buffalo Mozzarella..
Anyone?
MaxPen
MaxPen
  • Threads: 13
July 23rd, 2017 at 9:20:34 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

I've tried making my own sauce. It takes a long time and isn't any better than the stuff I can buy. It's healthier, but when I factor everything in, I go with the jars.
I like cheese. When I cook a pound of pasta, I generally use four ounces of parmesan cheese either in the cooking or on the plate.
I use a pound of chopped meat per pound of pasta, and usually two jars of sauce. Stir the parmesan in the sauce while cooking, add parmesan to the noodles while they are draining, add more as I'm mixing the two and even more when I have plated the food. Perhaps the pasta is just a delivery system for the cheese.
Used to use a lot of ricotta, but it is much more money out here. In NY I could get a three pound tub for under $7 on sale. Here a two pound tub is about $10.
Still have not found a store in the area that sells Buffalo Mozzarella..
Anyone?

Might want to try Roma deli on Spring Mtn. near Jones. If they don't have it they will probably know who does.
Cugino's Italian deli would be another good shot.
billryan
billryan
July 23rd, 2017 at 10:21:07 PM permalink
Cugini's doesn't carry it. Have to try Roma. Thanks.
ten2win
ten2win
  • Threads: 20
July 24th, 2017 at 4:24:40 AM permalink
We've been using Smith's (Kroger) jarred sauce when we use jarred sauce.

Their Private Selection brand is really good.

It comes in a few different flavors.

Arrabbiata, Basilico, Napoletana, Marinara and Vodka.

If you purchase any of these with your Rewards Shopper Card, eventually you'll get coupons for a free one in the coming months.
I don't know everything but I know a lot.
  • Jump to: