billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
May 15th, 2017 at 12:56:30 PM permalink
I own two tvs. The one in my living room has Fox News and CNN at the same or just about the same volume. The one in my bedroom has Fox at a noticeably higher volume. One in our clubhouse has them at pretty much the same, while my neighbors has Fox slightly higher.
Please take a minute and let me know if there is a difference on your sets. No harm will come from tuning into the opposition for a few seconds.
Thanks.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
Romes
Romes
  • Threads: 29
Thanked by
onenickelmiracle
May 15th, 2017 at 1:18:40 PM permalink
I would think that comes down to the individual TV audio settings and what each manufacturer considers "standard." Makes sense to me that they could be slightly different. Would be odd to me if they were the same exact TV and at the same volume level sounding different. Again, that would have to come down to individual hardware though I'd presume.

p.s. niiiiiiiiice way to subtly get people to try to understand other peoples opinions/views. I see what ya did there. =)
Playing it correctly means you've already won.
Romes
Romes
  • Threads: 29
May 15th, 2017 at 1:19:24 PM permalink
quote != edit... =(
Playing it correctly means you've already won.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
May 15th, 2017 at 2:20:21 PM permalink
I don't see any sense in having the manufacturer set Channel 21 higher than 20. I don't know if the cable system does it or if each network chooses the volume. I have noticed some commercials are louder than the program, which leads me to think its the network that does it.
I can't spell subtle, its not my strong point.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
May 16th, 2017 at 7:27:23 AM permalink
There's a setting on many newer tv's that equalizes the volume between channels and on the same channel (they DO program commercials to be louder on many channels). It seems likely, if your LR tv is a newer one, that you have that enabled and it's filtering your selections.

Trying to look up what that control is called. It's in your audio menu if you have it. I'm away from the tv I have that does it, but will edit if I find the info.

Edit: AVL or Automatic Volume Leveling ON will equalize volumes between channels and on the same channel. It is modulated when received and then broadcast to you. Turn it OFF to receive unmoderated volumes.

Note : this from Google. I'm not sure that's the only name for this setting, as I think mine called it something else, but it will be this or something similarly vague in your audio settings.

In any case, I think it's the tv, nor the station or provider, that's giving you variable experiences.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 26
May 16th, 2017 at 8:24:20 AM permalink
He's teasing you, nobody has two television sets...

Arennwen
Arennwen
  • Threads: 1
July 15th, 2017 at 3:37:25 AM permalink
I had about the same problem with the sound in the TV, everything was decided with the help of the internal settings of the TV to equalize the sound
prozema
prozema
  • Threads: 24
July 15th, 2017 at 7:41:23 AM permalink
If your cable company digitally compresses channels differently, that can cause variation in volume and picture quality.

It is also possible that the content provider broadcasts with different defaults.

Usually this sort of thing is most notable when a local commercial is inserted into a national broadcast by your cable company.
mel.liu
mel.liu
  • Threads: 1
July 16th, 2017 at 8:55:55 AM permalink
cut my cable a while back. life is so much more peaceful now.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 211
July 16th, 2017 at 11:20:15 AM permalink
Also may depend on amount of hard and soft surfaces as far as acoustics and size and even shape of room. Play any TV in a bare room with hard floors and walls and it will make more unpleasant noise than usual.

Lots of knick knacks would even diffuse sound some.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
  • Jump to: