RS
RS
  • Threads: 49
February 17th, 2017 at 10:43:52 PM permalink
Quote: MaxPen

Stay far far away from the Palace Station buffet. All Stations buffet meat is subpar. I have often wondered if it is a quality issue or that they just don't know how to cook a piece of meat.

What's with having to ask for "country scrambled" in order to get a real egg in Vegas?

This sounds like a conspiracy.
"What would Brian Boitano do?"
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
  • Threads: 9
February 17th, 2017 at 10:57:51 PM permalink
Quote: AxelWolf

Interesting. Lots downtowners went there just for the chili. I have had it many times and I thought it was always fairly good. Their snack bar and deli always seemed good and reasonably priced. The burgers were always good too.

Plus one on binions chili and the snack bar in general. Good stuff.

Worst I've had was boulder station buffet. Once for dinner. I couldn't make the 10 minute drive home.

Once for breakfast because how bad can you screw up breakfast? The answer is, real bad.
billryan
billryan 
  • Threads: 22
February 17th, 2017 at 11:28:08 PM permalink
Wildfire, someplace up north of downtown.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 204
February 18th, 2017 at 5:23:11 AM permalink
We have all had disappointing experiences but its always a balance between results and expectations. I knew Terribles was "lower tier" but I didn't know how bad until I stayed there one night and felt uncomfortable with the players as well as the dealers.

It never occured to me that the buffet could be as bad as it was. I mean Thursdays at a homeless shelter are always bad news but at least its edible or almost edible. Terribles was worse. I felt cheated and it was free.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 62
February 18th, 2017 at 8:14:09 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

That's easy for me to answer. The Guatamalan food joint by UNLV that nearly killed me with food poisoning. Read my blog entry JUST RELEASED FROM THE HOSPITAL for the whole story.

Maybe you should be more open minded, doesn't every restaurant deserve a second chance? j/k
DRich
DRich
February 18th, 2017 at 8:22:44 AM permalink
I am a very simple eater and I can say that I have never had a buffet where I couldn't find at least one average item. I would put Westgate buffet on the lower end of my scale but at least they usually have turkey and ham at the carving station. For me that would be a meal. I don't require any side items.
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
February 18th, 2017 at 8:29:33 AM permalink
The dinner buffet at Planet Hollywood - some of the meat was undercooked to the point of inedible.

A close second is Samba at Mirage; I felt sick after 15 minutes - I think it was something in the salad.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 262
February 18th, 2017 at 9:11:10 AM permalink
My worst buffet experience was at a Chinese buffet located on the second level in a building between PH and MGM; flavorless, totally uninspiring (no food poisoning, knock on wood).

The worst experience was at a Hash House a Go Go off strip.

I like corned beef hash, and had looked forward to trying their home made variety.

The amount served was copious, but the corned beef was not finely chopped, it was in long strands and quite stringy.

Tasted OK, but a chunk got lodged in my throat and I choked badly for at least five seconds.

My poor long-suffering wife was about to give me the Heimlich maneuver before the offending morsel leaped out of my mouth and onto the table.
"What, me worry?"
LostWages
LostWages 
  • Threads: 25
February 18th, 2017 at 9:51:55 AM permalink
Quote: Mission146

. I thought the buffet at Main Street Station was okay . . .

I second the motion. In our last trip Oct 2016, the main breakfast feature for us was to watch "Mainstreet Manny" (don't know if that's his moniker, but it's fitting) taking as many as 6 a la carte orders at the same time. This may be one of the few buffets in Las Vegas offering live entertainment - even a 15-min wait seems like 2 minutes, with Manny's entertaining non-stop bantering - he can talk to 6 different people and remember the ingredients for 6 different omelets!

Eat real food . . . and you won't need medicine (or a lot less!)
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 262
February 18th, 2017 at 10:23:01 AM permalink
Replenishing the Chinese buffet:

"What, me worry?"

• Jump to: