onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 212
November 10th, 2016 at 3:35:13 PM permalink
I met someone I think does that once. I'm not sure how long in a year you must live in said state, but iirc six months. But then they vote in Florida, Nevada. Who is going to check where you're eating breakfast 183 days a year? Can't find anything on the subject with my google search. People do this sometimes to get instate tuition, or used to anyways, by showing mail and bills. So how many from 49 other states voted in Florida?
I am a robot.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
November 10th, 2016 at 4:48:19 PM permalink
An uncle of mine domiciled in FL to protect his rights as an adoptive father. Kept it for years, partly for taxes. In 2000 he mentioned how his vote damn well made a difference for once.

He had condos down there for years and split his time more and more over the years. Not sure how he did it on paper but am sure a lawyer helped.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
November 10th, 2016 at 7:10:07 PM permalink
NY is very strict on extracting taxes, even from part time residents. Derek Jeter had a big fight with them over this as he claimed his $25 million dollar home in Florida was his home, not his $30 million dollar apartment in Manhattan. He lost.
When I was in the service, we had to pay NY State income tax even though I was stationed overseas and had no NY property.
Sucked to make 6% less than my brothers while performing the same duties.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
ahiromu
ahiromu
  • Threads: 112
November 10th, 2016 at 7:38:41 PM permalink
A handful of states, including NY (I think), actually tax teleworkers living in another state.
Its - Possessive; It's - "It is" / "It has"; There - Location; Their - Possessive; They're - "They are"
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 212
November 10th, 2016 at 9:48:11 PM permalink
Must be a smaller group than I thought
I am a robot.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
November 11th, 2016 at 10:03:45 AM permalink
You can be domiciled in one state if you have sufficient contacts and an intent to return there even if you are living in another state. Its simply that tax purposes often ignore rules in an attempt to get income.

Same thing with retired persons with pensions... I think its California who taxes pensions if you were a California resident prior to qualifying for a pension even for work performed over seas.

Its an area for a tax lawyer if you have massive funds to protect.

Some of those 'asset protecton' seminars give false and misleading information.

And remember, if you form what under US law would be a corporation, you darn well better call it a COMPANY in the Cayman Islands, because corporate records are open to the general public down there but COMPANY records and banking records are generally private. And there are TWO 'companies acts' in the Cayman Islands,,, be sure to choose the correct one if you want to hide assets from creditors or the tax man.
  • Jump to: