Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 206
September 8th, 2016 at 11:50:27 AM permalink
I'm surprised an AL team didn't make a play for him. DH's must not be that scarce.
America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, bad-ass speed. - Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936
487tracydrive
487tracydrive
  • Threads: 1
September 8th, 2016 at 1:50:06 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

Minosa played for Cleveland in 1949 and the White Sox in 1980. He was the last player to play in five consecutive decades.

I think Minnie last played in 1976 with 8 at bats. He did hit .311 AT AGE 38. Won 3 gold gloves, and that award did not exist until he was 35 years old
DrawingDead
DrawingDead
  • Threads: 7
September 8th, 2016 at 1:51:25 PM permalink
My understanding of the most optimistic possible timeline from this point, assuming all went spectacularly well for him at each and every step, has "Babe" Tebow reporting to an instructional league (I think in Brooklyn), then perhaps to the Arizona Fall League (go Scorpions) in October, followed by a possible invite to the Mets spring training camp, looking towards the possibility of then being assigned to one of their minor league farm teams after that. That September call-up plan earlier in the thread would need to be 2017, if ever. Doesn't work for this calendar year.

I'm seeing unofficial reports that the Mets came up with $100k for a signing bonus to win whatever bidding there may have been. I wouldn't call that very spendy at all as raw player development lottery-ticket style prospects go, even though I might be persuaded to take it myself if you throw in some subway tokens and New York level meal money.
Nevermind.
DrawingDead
DrawingDead
September 8th, 2016 at 2:47:18 PM permalink
Quote: 487tracydrive

I think Minnie last played in 1976 with 8 at bats. He did hit .311 AT AGE 38. Won 3 gold gloves, and that award did not exist until he was 35 years old

Nope, Buzzard, er, "487 Tracy." When looking at his stats it may appear that '76 was the end. And I guess it sorta pretty much was. But he was activated for two games by the White Sox in 1980.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/m/minosmi01.shtml

Quote:

Last Game: October 5, 1980 (Age 54.311) vs. CAL 1 AB, 0 H, 0 HR, 0 RBI, 0 SB

http://www.minoso.com/minnie%20minoso%20Biography.html

Quote:

In 1980, he would join the White Sox for two games and thus become one of only two five-decade players in major league history.

Which gets to the reason I'm resigning my trial membership in the lukewarmish neutral camp & officially joining the 'Tebow = toast' camp today. Because he doesn't have the right kind of baseball name to pull this kind of thing off at all. Like a Minnie Minoso or Manny Mota or Mookie Betts or Coco Crisp. There's no echo of a rosin bag or pine tar in "Tim" at all, and he's no son of Ted Williams, so I'm not buyin' it. He's not even qualified in that way to be one of the fancy-dancey twinkle-toes new-age types in the baseball name department with a high-rent kinda baseball name like Arizona's Socrates (Brito) or Seattle's Archimedes (Caminero). "Tim" is not much of a basketball name either, surely can't jump; straight-up football name and nuttin' else, so if his football thing is over, I'm sayin' he's done. So there.

ADDENDUM: And in what I'm now convinced is related news, it saddens me that I'm gonna have to miss the Cardinals' interesting promo giveaway tomorrow:

Quote:

Eddie Gaedel Bobblehead
Relive one of the most memorable baseball moments in history! 30,000 fans ages 16 & older will receive an Eddie Gaedel bobblehead commemorating his historic plate appearance for the St. Louis Browns in 1951, courtesy of Maryville University!

Short video description of promo & origin of Gaedel's two and a half minutes of little greatness: http://m.mlb.com/video/v1095527483/eddie-gaedel-bobblehead-night-by-maryville-university
Last edited by: DrawingDead on Sep 8, 2016
Nevermind.
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 170
September 8th, 2016 at 4:17:25 PM permalink
This is how you know TimTebow is serious about committing to becoming a Major League Baseball player:

https://mobile.twitter.com/BNightengale/status/773911880817455104?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw
NO KILL I
JoelDeze
JoelDeze
  • Threads: 43
September 29th, 2016 at 3:13:40 AM permalink
First official game in the instructional league was yesterday against the St Louis Cardinals.

Tim Tebow hit a home run on his very first at bat on the very first pitch.
“Know where to find information and how to use it; that is the secret of success.” – Albert Einstein
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 63
September 29th, 2016 at 10:51:14 AM permalink
Quote: JoelDeze

Tim Tebow hit a home run on his very first at bat on the very first pitch.

Isn't is funny that the news media doesn't report that he was out his next five at bats and ended 1-6 batting 0.166.
JoelDeze
JoelDeze
  • Threads: 43
September 30th, 2016 at 9:06:55 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

Isn't is funny that the news media doesn't report that he was out his next five at bats and ended 1-6 batting 0.166.

If you popped out or grounded out 5 times and hit 1 home run would you say you did okay? It's not like he struck out 5 times. His worst play was grounding out in a double play. Other than that, he hit the ball solid the entire day.

And, look at Game 2 now:

Game Two

He went 2-4 with one RBI and two runs scored. He also had a walk and a strikeout. So, he's now 3 for 10.

More importantly, he was ahead in the count on almost every at bat which means he's seeing things fairly well. One of his hits was against a 97 mph fastball.
“Know where to find information and how to use it; that is the secret of success.” – Albert Einstein
DrawingDead
DrawingDead
November 17th, 2016 at 2:47:28 PM permalink
The Scottsdale Scorpions (with the Tebow guy on the roster) completed their Arizona Fall League schedule today. The AZFL rosters include some guys who actually have played some professional baseball at the AA minor league level or above, even including a few who've had a call-up to the majors, but who need some extra off-season work for one reason or another (such as injury rehab or working on significant weaknesses in their game) and some other prospects who eventually will, along with guys who'll be delivering a UPS package to your door a year from now.

In 60 at bats the Tebow dude finished with a batting average of .183, a .269 on-base pct, .233 slugging pct, 0 home runs, and a .502 OPS. Not so good, to be polite about it, unless you're a pitcher. He's not a pitcher. I assume the next step, if there is one, would be an invite to spring training. Or not, depending on the purpose he and the Mets have in mind.

MLB Auctioning Off Ridiculous Baseball From Tim Tebow Groundout ($160.00)

People Are Bidding Over $800 On A Game-Worn Tim Tebow Mets Jersey, For Some Reason ($910.00)
Nevermind.
tringlomane
tringlomane
November 17th, 2016 at 5:13:51 PM permalink
I think it's pretty clear if Tebow was legally allowed to run for President, he would have easily beat Trump and Clinton. The obsession with this man even with all his professional athletic failures still amazes me.

• Jump to: