Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 21
July 14th, 2017 at 6:11:08 AM permalink
Don't look now, but through 16 games with the St. Lucie Mets (Adv A), Tebow is hitting .327 and slugging .551 with an OPS of .972.

Still don't think he will make the majors, but I wouldn't be surprised if he gets called up to AA Binghamton before the end of the season.
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 52
July 14th, 2017 at 9:02:50 AM permalink
As a season ticket holder of the 51s, I'd love to see him make it here. I will happily sell my premium seats for exorbitant prices.
It's what you do and not what you say If you're not part of the future then get out of the way
WolfieWolfie
WolfieWolfie
  • Threads: 0
July 14th, 2017 at 10:03:46 AM permalink
"Different guy then, I remember this guy in the 1990s. White Sox IIRC"

Think you are thinking of Julio Franco. Guy played in the majors for like 18 teams is 25 seasons. Started in 82, finished in 2007. Played for the white Sox in 94.

Edit: Forgot to quote....n00b!
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
  • Threads: 12
July 14th, 2017 at 10:54:11 AM permalink
Funny, after doing much worse at low A. Extremely impressive. I was impressed that he hit .220 with 3 HRs at low A.

Still, this is a long way from MLB. I recently bet that he wouldn't taste the majors this year at -750.

Part of the reason is that, because getting to the majors is a long process with a lot of hard work for almost every player, even with a ton of talent, it would be seen as a huge slap in the face to bring him up as a novelty act IMO. The analogy I thought of was earning your PhD in physics, and then having one given to a youtube star, in hopes that she would make a video about it and create attention for the university.

If they do bring him up, better make sure not to have him hit against an old school SOB like Strickland.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 63
July 14th, 2017 at 11:08:12 AM permalink
Quote: Rigondeaux

Part of the reason is that, because getting to the majors is a long process with a lot of hard work for almost every player, even with a ton of talent, it would be seen as a huge slap in the face to bring him up as a novelty act IMO. The analogy I thought of was earning your PhD in physics, and then having one given to a youtube star, in hopes that she would make a video about it and create attention for the university.

I would consider it more similar to Honorary Degrees that schools give out all the time. If he sticks with it through next year I think they will bring him up to the majors even if it is just for a game or two.
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
  • Threads: 12
July 14th, 2017 at 11:13:44 AM permalink
But they aren't handing him a replica uniform and a plaque. They would be putting him on an MLB roster. Something many guys work tirelessly for many years to achieve. And, it would take a very nice paycheck from a AAAA player who earned it and could use it.

I'd actually have no problem with the opposing pitcher plunking him, even though I kinda like Tebow.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 63
Thanks for this post from:
WolfieWolfie
July 14th, 2017 at 12:05:17 PM permalink

Something many guys work tirelessly for many years to achieve. And, it would take a very nice paycheck from a AAAA player who earned it and could use it.

I don't disagree but I think we all know life isn't always fair. If they believe it will make the business more money it is going to happen.
WolfieWolfie
WolfieWolfie
  • Threads: 0
July 14th, 2017 at 12:08:45 PM permalink

Funny, after doing much worse at low A. Extremely impressive. I was impressed that he hit .220 with 3 HRs at low A.

Still, this is a long way from MLB. I recently bet that he wouldn't taste the majors this year at -750.

If they do bring him up, better make sure not to have him hit against an old school SOB like Strickland.

But you gotta think of it from the business side of the house. Come Sept when the Mets are 20 games out of first the team still wants fans to show up, so why not call him up? See what he can do and give people a reason to show up. I feel like a Sept call up is a very high possibilty.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 52
July 14th, 2017 at 12:15:08 PM permalink
With the Mets ownership, anything is possible. I have little doubt they would trade the integrity of the game for a shot at selling some tickets.
I love baseball, but hate the Mets. Having tickets to one of their farm teams still bothers me, but I enjoy the game itself.
It's what you do and not what you say If you're not part of the future then get out of the way

• Jump to: