Thread Rating:

EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
August 29th, 2010 at 12:43:30 AM permalink
Anybody else here a fan of 'Lost'? I started out hating it and ended up watching every episode. I put off till tonight watching the final 2 episodes, I don't know why. All I can say is: WOW!

It wasn't what I was expecting at all. The closure they had on all those relationships that were formed and lost during the series was fantastic. It was an emotional experience for me, I had no idea I was so attached to some of these characters. What an amazing job by the writers, I tip my hat to them. They all died in the crash. The very first scene in the first ep was Jack opening his eye. The last scene is Jack closing his eye. Absolutely perfect...
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
August 29th, 2010 at 5:38:43 AM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

They all died in the crash.

I'm a big fan of the show too. However, the last episode did not bring me the closure I was hoping for. While I lean towards agreeing with your theory, many don't. The main argument against it was Christian saying to Jack, "It was all real." It was already discusses in this thread. Let's pick this up there, if you wish.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
EvenBob
EvenBob
August 29th, 2010 at 8:08:36 AM permalink
There were too many questions raised over the years for them to all be answered in the last few episodes. It wall all fiction anyway, they made it up as they went along. Why make up a bunch of other stuff that made no sense? When we invent Santa Claus, do we have to invent the answers to all the questions his existance would raise, or can we just accept him for what he is. The writers singled out the relationships the characters had with each other, and gave them closure. In doing so, they gave the audience closure on them as well. It was a stroke of brilliance. Who really cares about the other stuff, it was all invented to get us to watch the next episode anyway, just like the pulp fiction books a hundred years ago that always ended with a cliff hanger. Fun stuff, we have to accept it for what it is and move on.

>>The main argument against it was Christian saying to Jack, "It was all real.">>

And maybe it was, a reality we can't understand or comprehend because our circumstances are different than theirs. The things I did 30 years ago were all very real too, but that reality is completely gone and I can't find it anywhere. Where did it go? I can't even prove it happened. Reality is a slippery slope, it changes minute by minute.
EvenBob
EvenBob
August 30th, 2010 at 1:49:24 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I'm a big fan of the show too. However, the last episode did not bring me the closure I was hoping for. While I lean towards agreeing with your theory, many don't. The main argument against it was Christian saying to Jack, "It was all real." It was already discusses in this thread. Let's pick this up there, if you wish.

I didn't know there was a dispute about the ending. It was a dream or they all died is what I got out of it. Its been used many times. Wizard of Oz, Who Shot JR, Stephen King used it to end his long Gunslinger series. Sam Delaney ended his epic novel 'Dhalgren' by implying it had all been the hallucination of a mental patient. When Lost opens with an eye blinking, and ends with an eye closing, that implies it was all a dream. To my mind, anyway.
  • Jump to: