mickeycrimm
mickeycrimm
  • Threads: 62
December 17th, 2014 at 9:37:27 AM permalink
I've been flying under the radar for a long time. I don't have any bank accounts. And I don't have a credit rating. I pack a lot of money away on prepaid debit cards. When applying for these cards Homeland Security is in the act and I have to prove who I am. I was highly surprised at how much these credit card companies knew about me. I had to answer a series of trick questions like:

Which town is 16th Ave SW in?

A. San Francisco
B. Seattle
C. Chicago
D. Houston

In the eighties I bartended at the Gold Rush Saloon on 16th Ave. SW in Seattle. How the hell did they know that?

In which state is El Paso County?

A. Texas
B. Arizona
C. Colorado
D. New Mexico

I thought this was a great trick question. I guess most people would think Texas. But I used to spend a lot of time in Colorado Springs, Colorado, which is in El Paso County. I haven't been back there since the early nineties. So how the hell did they know I used to hang out there?

Their other trick questions were along the same lines and I was approved.

The first card I got was the Walmart Visa Card. For the first two years I could only carry a $500 max balance. Then they raised it to $3000. The card costs $3 to load and $3 a month service fee. You can withdraw a maximum of $300 per day.

Then I got the Western Union Gold Cards which you can have up to five and carry a max balance on each one of up to $10,000. But you can only load $950 per 24 hours on each card and there is a $5 load fee. There is no monthly service fee. You can withdraw a maximum of $500 per card per day.

The best prepaid card I've come across is the American Express Bluebird. Its sold a Walmart. You won't find it in the racks with the other cards they sell. They put it on rows all by itself. You can load up to $7500 with no load fee if you make yours deposits at Walmart. The other locations are a $1 load fee. There is no monthly service charge. You get Walmart Buck$ for any purchases you make at Walmart which you can spend at Walmart when you have enough saved. You can withdraw up to $500 per day. I just got this card and plan to use it at Walmart for all my purchases to see what percentage I get in Buck$.
"Quit trying your luck and start trying your skill." Mickey Crimm
jml24
jml24
  • Threads: 2
December 17th, 2014 at 10:02:23 AM permalink
Wow, I did not realize what a scam these prepaid cards are. I guess it is the price you pay to "fly under the radar." You let them borrow your money for free, they charge YOU a fee, they charge the store a fee every time you use the card, and they put limits on how often you can withdraw YOUR OWN MONEY.

I am pretty sure those trick questions come from stuff on your credit report, even if you think you don't have one.
mickeycrimm
mickeycrimm
December 17th, 2014 at 10:21:08 AM permalink
Quote: jml24

Wow, I did not realize what a scam these prepaid cards are. I guess it is the price you pay to "fly under the radar." You let them borrow your money for free, they charge YOU a fee, they charge the store a fee every time you use the card, and they put limits on how often you can withdraw YOUR OWN MONEY.

I am pretty sure those trick questions come from stuff on your credit report, even if you think you don't have one.

I personally like the max withdrawal per day. I get texts when my cards are used. Of course its me using them. But if someone else is using them I'm going to be quicly notified and can shut the card down before they raid all the money.
jml24
jml24
  • Threads: 2
December 17th, 2014 at 10:31:36 AM permalink
I'm not understanding the rationale for limiting the max amount you can put on the cards either. Are they liable in case of fraud and they are trying to limit their exposure? This is in comparison to a standard bank account where they want you to deposit as much money as they can get.
Boz
Boz
  • Threads: 155
December 17th, 2014 at 11:13:50 AM permalink
Quote: jml24

These cards are not designed for most people and most people are not like Mickey. They are designed to take advantage of, or penalize, however you like to look at it, those who do not have regular bank accounts. In many cases the people cannot get a bank account for reasons of their own design. Therefore the companies that make them charge huge fees to people who have no other choice. As for someone like Mickey, I assume he knows the costs and feels it is worthwhile to him, while many others never even know the costs.
mickeycrimm
mickeycrimm
December 17th, 2014 at 11:42:43 AM permalink
Quote: Boz

These cards are not designed for most people and most people are not like Mickey. They are designed to take advantage of, or penalize, however you like to look at it, those who do not have regular bank accounts. In many cases the people cannot get a bank account for reasons of their own design. Therefore the companies that make them charge huge fees to people who have no other choice. As for someone like Mickey, I assume he knows the costs and feels it is worthwhile to him, while many others never even know the costs.

I tried to open bank accounts in Nevada. And this was before 9/11. But I was either living in comped rooms or weekly/monthly hotels. They didn't consider you a resident if you were living in a hotel. And they knew all those addresses. They wanted me to show apartment leases, power bills, etc. to prove I was a Nevada resident. I eventually quit trying
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
December 17th, 2014 at 12:04:26 PM permalink
It doesn't sound like you are under the radar at all mickeycrimm. With all the info on your spending habits tied into the debit cards, it sounds like you are clearly entered in some databases. The feds know about you, but perhaps don't have a way to contact you that doesn't involve locking down all your accounts... yet.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
DrawingDead
DrawingDead
  • Threads: 9
December 17th, 2014 at 12:10:34 PM permalink
Mickey, I have a suggestion, which comes partly from having once been a landlord for a lot of people at a lot of places, which involves seeing a lot of peoples' credit reports. There can be all kinds of stuff & junk in them that you probably wouldn't ever have guessed, and sometimes some of it might get put in there wrong. If you'd like to see what others see when they run a check, you can do that without breaking a sweat on your keyboard or missing a drink:

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0155-free-credit-reports

...and then...

http://www.annualcreditreport.com/

Quote: Federal Trade Commission of the United States

The Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) requires each of the nationwide credit reporting companies — Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion — to provide you with a free copy of your credit report, at your request, once every 12 months. The FCRA promotes the accuracy and privacy of information in the files of the nation’s credit reporting companies. The Federal Trade Commission (FTC), the nation’s consumer protection agency, enforces the FCRA with respect to credit reporting companies.

A credit report includes information on where you live, how you pay your bills, and whether you’ve been sued or have filed for bankruptcy. Nationwide credit reporting companies sell the information in your report to creditors, insurers, employers, and other businesses that use it to evaluate your applications for credit, insurance, employment, or renting a home.

Here are the details about your rights under the FCRA...

So, does buying those prepaid cards require cash only? Or could someone use a credit card (potentially with a rewards/cash-back deal) to buy them? I suspect not. Probably just folding green cash.
Suck dope, watch TV, make up stuff, be somebody on the internet.
mickeycrimm
mickeycrimm
December 17th, 2014 at 12:31:14 PM permalink
Quote: Ayecarumba

It doesn't sound like you are under the radar at all mickeycrimm. With all the info on your spending habits tied into the debit cards, it sounds like you are clearly entered in some databases. The feds know about you, but perhaps don't have a way to contact you that doesn't involve locking down all your accounts... yet.

Why would they do that?
mickeycrimm
mickeycrimm
December 17th, 2014 at 1:13:59 PM permalink
Quote: DrawingDead

So, does buying those prepaid cards require cash only? Or could someone use a credit card (potentially with a rewards/cash-back deal) to buy them? I suspect not. Probably just folding green cash.

With any of my cards you can direct deposit paychecks, social security checks, etc., with no load fee. The load fees apply only to cash deposits.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
December 17th, 2014 at 2:55:13 PM permalink
Quote: mickeycrimm

Why would they do that?

Every dime you put on a pre paid card
the gov't knows about and it has to
be accounted for. If you claim your
income last year was $20K and you put
$25K on the cards, the IRS will eventually
want to know what's going on. You are
not only not flying under the radar, you
are blatantly telling them your every move.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
mickeycrimm
mickeycrimm
December 17th, 2014 at 2:56:50 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

I don't have a problem with that.
EvenBob
EvenBob
December 17th, 2014 at 2:58:45 PM permalink

I don't have a problem with that.

You said it was flying under the radar and
it's the opposite. Using cash for everything
and a fake ID is flying under the radar.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 212
December 17th, 2014 at 3:04:49 PM permalink
A few companies have secured credit credit cards, with fees of their own, maybe consider getting one, then eventually getting an unsecured credit card when an offer comes when you've had credit a while. Hear many banks getting out of this business, so there might not be many options.
I am a robot.
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 89
December 17th, 2014 at 3:05:29 PM permalink

IRS budget slashed by the republicans.
Mickey is safe :-)
Its just a forum. Nothing here to get obsessed about.
Gandler
Gandler
  • Threads: 35
December 17th, 2014 at 3:11:45 PM permalink

I've been flying under the radar for a long time. I don't have any bank accounts. And I don't have a credit rating. I pack a lot of money away on prepaid debit cards. When applying for these cards Homeland Security is in the act and I have to prove who I am. I was highly surprised at how much these credit card companies knew about me. I had to answer a series of trick questions like:

A. San Francisco
B. Seattle
C. Chicago
D. Houston

In the eighties I bartended at the Gold Rush Saloon on 16th Ave. SW in Seattle. How the hell did they know that?

A. Texas
B. Arizona
C. Colorado
D. New Mexico

I thought this was a great trick question. I guess most people would think Texas. But I used to spend a lot of time in Colorado Springs, Colorado, which is in El Paso County. I haven't been back there since the early nineties. So how the hell did they know I used to hang out there?

The first card I got was the Walmart Visa Card. For the first two years I could only carry a $500 max balance. Then they raised it to $3000. The card costs $3 to load and $3 a month service fee. You can withdraw a maximum of $300 per day.

Then I got the Western Union Gold Cards which you can have up to five and carry a max balance on each one of up to $10,000. But you can only load $950 per 24 hours on each card and there is a $5 load fee. There is no monthly service fee. You can withdraw a maximum of $500 per card per day.

The best prepaid card I've come across is the American Express Bluebird. Its sold a Walmart. You won't find it in the racks with the other cards they sell. They put it on rows all by itself. You can load up to $7500 with no load fee if you make yours deposits at Walmart. The other locations are a $1 load fee. There is no monthly service charge. You get Walmart Buck$ for any purchases you make at Walmart which you can spend at Walmart when you have enough saved. You can withdraw up to $500 per day. I just got this card and plan to use it at Walmart for all my purchases to see what percentage I get in Buck$.

If you work anywhere legally in the last 50 years (you pay taxes and are on the books) they have that in their records. It takes like 2 seconds to look up if you enter your SSN. So this is not surprising, I remember a similar question on some such cards (granted not nearly as far back as your as I was not even born in the 80s).

As for where you hang out especially if it was in the 90s the only thing I could think of is did you have a legal apartment there? If so then that is obviously how, if not I have no clue, unless you entered that as a security questions years ago and forgot about it.

Its not any of my business, but out of sheer curiosity, why don't you use banks? Do you not trust them or do you have a moral/philosophical objection to using them?
mickeycrimm
mickeycrimm
December 17th, 2014 at 3:12:12 PM permalink

You said it was flying under the radar and
it's the opposite. Using cash for everything
and a fake ID is flying under the radar.

Where did you come up with fake ID? I've never had one. Flying under the radar was meant about my paying cash for everything. So I don't have a credit rating. I learned it from my grandfather. He bought a house and 40 acres in 1935 on credit for $500. It was a family project, cotton and corn, to pay the farm off. After that he never bought another thing on credit for the rest of his life. It makes life very simple. If I can't pay cash for it I don't want it. I don't complicate my life by buying things on credit.

I have to carry around enough cash to put my plays down. I don't take the chance that a cop will lift my money in a traffic stop....or that it will get stolen. Whatever town I'm in, when the money builds up, I drop by Walmart or a Western Union office and deposit the money. So I'm not an easy mark for anyone.
mickeycrimm
mickeycrimm
December 17th, 2014 at 3:18:02 PM permalink
When I shop at J.C. Penney's they always ask me if I have a J.C. Penney credit card. I always respond no. Then they offer me a 10% discount if I apply for one. So I apply. A couple of weeks later I get a letter in the mail saying I don't have any credit history so they can't issue me a card. I've done this a half a dozen times. If they keep offering me a 10% discount I will keep applying.
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
December 17th, 2014 at 3:31:56 PM permalink

When I shop at J.C. Penney's they always ask me if I have a J.C. Penney credit card. I always respond no. Then they offer me a 10% discount if I apply for one. So I apply. A couple of weeks later I get a letter in the mail saying I don't have any credit history so they can't issue me a card. I've done this a half a dozen times. If they keep offering me a 10% discount I will keep applying.

Having no credit history is different than not having a score. You almost certainly have a score but it is probably not to great without any current credit lines.

As far as those questions. Those come from a company called lexis nexis. They compile their data from various sources including pre paid card. Google lexis nexis and yoyou can get all the info. You can also opt out of them so they stop storing your info.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
SlackJawYokel
SlackJawYokel
  • Threads: 7
December 17th, 2014 at 3:35:53 PM permalink

It makes life very simple. If I can't pay cash for it I don't want it. I don't complicate my life by buying things on credit.

I have to carry around enough cash to put my plays down.

Mickey,

I think that you are looking at this backwards. I used to buy everything with cash (still use it for a fair amount of things) but have changed my tune in the past few years. I established a credit history and opened a credit card that gives cash back. I buy all of my everyday things on credit and pay it off monthly. I pay no interest and get 1.5% cash back on all purchases. If you use a local bank you can go into a branch pay it off with cash. You would be surprised how fast your cash back racks up buying necessities and other nonsense.
EvenBob
EvenBob
December 17th, 2014 at 3:36:27 PM permalink

Where did you come up with fake ID? I've never had one.

I don't have one. My point was,
that's flying under the radar,
cash for everything. It's what
drug dealers do.

When I had the cab co, the gov't
wasn't monitoring taxi companies
yet so none of the drivers paid
taxes, it was an all cash business.
The only guy I knew who ever got
caught was a long time driver who
got careless and paid cash for a
car that was over $10k. The IRS
swooped in over a year later wanting
to know where somebody not paying
taxes got money to buy a car.

They did a forensic audit on the previous
seven years and he had to pay taxes
on the figures they came up with. He
said it was frightening how accurate
their figures were in assessing how much
he made every year.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
December 17th, 2014 at 3:36:59 PM permalink
The data on each of these applications is stored. The fact that you attempted to open a line of credit, how much was asked for, and the decision is also stored.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
December 17th, 2014 at 4:10:54 PM permalink
I bought a $500 prepaid debit card recently to try to make a deposit at an Internet casino. No dice. International purchases were strictly blocked.

However, it makes me wonder why the ordinary drug store where I purchased it had a huge rack of them to choose from. They clearly must sell well.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
December 17th, 2014 at 5:09:03 PM permalink
Quote: Ayecarumba

The data on each of these applications is stored. The fact that you attempted to open a line of credit, how much was asked for, and the decision is also stored.

Yeah, applying for credit card, loan, short term apartment, whether you get it or not goes on a credit report.

They are always looking at stuff you are applying for, not just actually getting.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
djatc
djatc
  • Threads: 83
December 17th, 2014 at 5:23:38 PM permalink
Quote: SlackJawYokel

Mickey,

I think that you are looking at this backwards. I used to buy everything with cash (still use it for a fair amount of things) but have changed my tune in the past few years. I established a credit history and opened a credit card that gives cash back. I buy all of my everyday things on credit and pay it off monthly. I pay no interest and get 1.5% cash back on all purchases. If you use a local bank you can go into a branch pay it off with cash. You would be surprised how fast your cash back racks up buying necessities and other nonsense.

Somehow I think this is not a benefit to people like mickey, he just wants to be able to stash away cash without anyone knowing his spending habits. Also quick access for plays.
"Man Babes" #AxelFabulous
scubatim84
scubatim84
  • Threads: 12
December 17th, 2014 at 5:36:29 PM permalink
Quote: terapined

IRS budget slashed by the republicans.
Mickey is safe :-)

Yeah they also target Republicans. Hope he isn't flagged in the system as one. :)
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
  • Threads: 164
December 17th, 2014 at 6:28:15 PM permalink

A. San Francisco
B. Seattle
C. Chicago
D. Houston

A. Texas
B. Arizona
C. Colorado
D. New Mexico

They limit you to the number of some of Green Dot prepaid debit cards. PER ADDRESS 3 I believe. Even if there's a family, and 2 people already have one, or even former tenants at the same address. EVEN WITH PROOF that it's all separate real people.

I wanted 2 separate cards for various legitimate reasons(you can have more than one) I wanted them separated for Hotel rooms when using RFB incase casinos tried to screw me/ same with online (when online purchases were available )

WITH NO WARNING OR NOTHING After I deposit and tried to set up the online features on a 2nd card for myself. They canceled ALL of them. Including my GF's (we have same address)

I had to jump through hoops and prove who I was, with certified letters and a bunch of crap, just get all MY money sent via check. On top of that, they now they deny me and her for anything associated green dot OR blue bird cards(Blue Bird is a good deal but they deny people for various reasons, I heard even based on location). My sister with my same last name had trouble getting A GD card (lives in a different state even)

So F**K Green Got debit cards, I think GD was mainly made for Walmart suckers.
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
harvson3
harvson3
  • Threads: 0
December 17th, 2014 at 8:08:05 PM permalink
Quote: DrawingDead

To answer your speculation, there's a whole subculture of hobbyists buying pre-paid debit cards (that can have PINs associated with them) using rewards credit cards, then off-loading the prepaid debit cards onto Bluebird (or Serve) cards at Wal-Mart (or online). People do this for the miles and points to fly and stay in hotels.

Edit: Bluebird/Serve can be easily liquidated to cash through bill pay or withdrawals. The term is "manufactured spending," buying cash with a credit card to earn points, then liquidating.

Quote: Wizard

However, it makes me wonder why the ordinary drug store where I purchased it had a huge rack of them to choose from. They clearly must sell well.

The unbanked and the poor (and the intersection of these two groups) need them for multiple transactions such as renting a car or a hotel room, paying utilities, etc. There are multiple transactions in this country that are more expensive or impossible without a debit/credit card. Unfortunately, pre-paid cards do have higher fees than do credit cards (if paid off monthly), which further hurts those without good credit. Unfortunately, pre-paid cards are also viewed suspiciously and have been subject to fraud concerns because people have used them to fund or launder money for illegal activities.
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
December 18th, 2014 at 9:43:11 AM permalink
Quote: harvson3

The unbanked and the poor (and the intersection of these two groups) need them for multiple transactions such as renting a car or a hotel room, paying utilities, etc. There are multiple transactions in this country that are more expensive or impossible without a debit/credit card. Unfortunately, pre-paid cards do have higher fees than do credit cards (if paid off monthly), which further hurts those without good credit. Unfortunately, pre-paid cards are also viewed suspiciously and have been subject to fraud concerns because people have used them to fund or launder money for illegal activities.

With respect to renting a car, in my experience prepaid debit cards (or even "real" debit cards linked to a checking account) won't fly. They want a real credit card so if you trash the car, they can charge you for it. What happens if you use a pre-paid card with $200 on it and run out with a car?

Anyway, one of my groomsmen at my wedding tried this, and got stranded 90 minutes away from the wedding. He made it eventually (on a bus) but it was a clusterf**k.
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
mickeycrimm
mickeycrimm
December 18th, 2014 at 9:47:12 AM permalink
Quote: harvson3

You really have to do your homework to find the better cards. A lot of them are just horrible, $5 load fee's, $8 a month service charge, and $1 per transaction. Just horrible.
kenarman
kenarman
  • Threads: 28
December 18th, 2014 at 11:24:07 AM permalink
The prepaid card I use is issued by a Canadian bank and most people would not even realize it is not a normal "credit" card. I have never had it refused anywhere even when there is sign saying 'prepaid cards not accepted'.

It cost $5 / year and no transaction fee for purchases with a $5000 maximum balance. Cash or cash like withdrawals are subject to fees. It is linked with my bank account and I can load it on-line directly from my bank account with instant access to the funds.

It has all the protection and add-on values of a basic credit card from the same bank.

Like Mickey says it is just one more place to have cash stashed. You don't want all your eggs in one basket if things ever go sideways on you.
Be careful when you follow the masses, the M is sometimes silent.
teddys
teddys
  • Threads: 150
December 18th, 2014 at 1:35:55 PM permalink
I had a lot of fun racking up miles using Bluebird, Vanilla Reload, and Credit Cards. Until I didn't anymore . . .

Mickey, check out Target's Red Card if it ever comes to your area. Great card with even lower fees and better ease of access than Bluebird.
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
mickeycrimm
mickeycrimm
December 18th, 2014 at 1:37:53 PM permalink
Quote: teddys

I had a lot of fun racking up miles using Bluebird, Vanilla Reload, and Credit Cards. Until I didn't anymore . . .

Mickey, check out Target's Red Card if it ever comes to your area. Great card with even lower fees and better ease of access than Bluebird.

I'll check it out.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
December 18th, 2014 at 2:33:14 PM permalink
Quote: GWAE

Having no credit history is different than not having a score. You almost certainly have a score but it is probably not to great without any current credit lines.

If you don't have any accounts that are being reported to the credit bureaus, you don't have a score.

If you've never had any accounts reported to the credit bureaus, you don't have a history.

(Useful credit score seminar at a financial institution one evening. Free pizza was OK, too.)
May the cards fall in your favor.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
December 18th, 2014 at 6:49:09 PM permalink

FWIW, Macy's has the same promotion. Might as well do it there, too. :)
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
zrxmax
zrxmax
  • Threads: 0
December 29th, 2014 at 12:36:15 PM permalink
One way I stash cash is simply to buy money orders made out to myself. Walmart raised its price from 33 cents to 70 cents some time ago and has a $1000 limit. 7-11 has western union and charges a dollar with a $500 limit. Make photo copies and store them in a safe place like a gun safe or at a minimum a small safe that is fireproof. Now you have small fees, negotiable instruments, and various denominations. Might cost you $10 to $25 a month... however, except for cashing checks you become a bit more discreet as compared to electronic trail blazing like you will with pre paid cards. Beside that, most places accept cash.
EvenBob
EvenBob
December 29th, 2014 at 1:22:24 PM permalink
Quote: zrxmax

One way I stash cash is simply to buy money orders made out to myself.

You're turning something liquid, cash, into
something that's a pain to get rid of. Even
my bank won't cash MO's anymore, you
have to deposit them and wait. And you
can buy as many Walmart MO's as you like,
but they won't cash them for you.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
December 29th, 2014 at 1:26:37 PM permalink

I was highly surprised at how much these credit card companies knew about me.

There's a humorous story that came out of the collapse of the USSR and subsequent Capitalist practices moving in. Turned out that, yeah, the KGB/secret police/whatever had all kinds of dossiers on certain people, and a lot of people, sure. But when it came to the needs of the new businesses offering credit, there was nothing in place, and it was quite shocking and eye-opening to the Russkies the extent of information that was now to be collected.

The secret police were stunned, they just had nothing like that!

People started complaining about privacy intrusions!
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
December 29th, 2014 at 2:27:54 PM permalink

You're turning something liquid, cash, into
something that's a pain to get rid of. Even
my bank won't cash MO's anymore, you
have to deposit them and wait. And you
can buy as many Walmart MO's as you like,
but they won't cash them for you.

Thanks Bob I was wondering about that.

I thought I asked the WM-money store about that and they said no they won't cash them.

Sounds like a hassle to me. If you're going to to that just get cashier's checks.

I remember thinking what kind of BS is that.... you won't even cash your own money orders.
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
EvenBob
EvenBob
December 29th, 2014 at 2:45:42 PM permalink
Quote: AxelWolf

I remember thinking what kind of BS is that.... you won't even cash your own money orders.

There are tons of MO scams now, everybody
is leery of a MO over $20. Your bank will take
them but it takes 10 days sometimes before
it's turned into cash in your account. They're
handy for paying bills, that's about it.

What's wrong with a money belt, they make
some real good ones now that hold a lot of
cash.
mickeycrimm
mickeycrimm
December 29th, 2014 at 2:49:54 PM permalink

cash.

Where can I buy a money belt, or order one online?
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
December 29th, 2014 at 2:50:11 PM permalink

cash.

We have been over this before. It's nice to have different options and access to money when you need it without the risk of having someone steal your cash.
EvenBob
EvenBob
December 29th, 2014 at 2:51:36 PM permalink

Where can I guy a money belt, or order one online?

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Dfashion&field-keywords=money%20belt&sprefix=money+be%2Cfashion
mickeycrimm
mickeycrimm
December 29th, 2014 at 3:00:45 PM permalink

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Dfashion&field-keywords=money%20belt&sprefix=money+be%2Cfashion

Thanks.
EvenBob
EvenBob
December 29th, 2014 at 3:04:14 PM permalink
These look the most interesting. They're
pockets you iron on the inside of your
pant legs. If I can fit $5K into pill bottle,
I bet 10 of these in your pants could
hold $50K. And what robber makes you
take your pants off. I just ordered them.

http://www.amazon.com/Secret-Pockets-Money-Pants-Graham/dp/B00FSOVM0U/ref=sr_1_41?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1419893987&sr=1-41&keywords=money+belt

Venthus
Venthus
  • Threads: 24
December 29th, 2014 at 3:14:07 PM permalink

These look the most interesting. They're
pockets you iron on the inside of your
pant legs. If I can fit $5K into pill bottle,
I bet 10 of these in your pants could
hold $50K. And what robber makes you
take your pants off.

"Brigands demand money or your life. Women require both."
RogerKint
RogerKint
  • Threads: 15
December 29th, 2014 at 3:46:49 PM permalink

Buy? I have a Binions money belt you can have. Just the sight of it reminds me of a failed kiosk swipe.
100% risk of ruin
EvenBob
EvenBob
December 29th, 2014 at 3:57:58 PM permalink
Quote: RogerKint

Buy? I have a Binions money belt you can have. Just the sight of it reminds me of a failed kiosk swipe.

A what?
Keyser
Keyser
  • Threads: 35
December 29th, 2014 at 4:19:30 PM permalink

The best place to get money belts is at WalMart, Target, or KMart. The ones from KMart are the most comfortable to wear. The WalMart ones are little bit too large but will still work well. They usually cost $7.50. These money belts will typically hold $20k in 100s.

I finally had my wife start making them for me out of custom fabrics so that they looked more fashionable (black fabric suit style fabric). They're also more comfortable, and she was able to custom size them. I even keep a version as my wallet, in place of a traditional wallet, because they zip shut, can lay flatter, fit in your front pocket if needed, and you can carry casino chips in them without fear of them falling out.

By the way, don't try to wear them through airports anymore. Take them off and put them in your computer bag.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
December 29th, 2014 at 4:44:35 PM permalink
Several topics:

Repeated credit applications... show that you are constantly being turned down for credit and thus guarantee you a negative report.

Prepaid debit cards... You pay fees and charges and its just easier to go open a darn bank account.

Don't forget PayPal. Limit on monthly transfers, but no charges. Download their app to your phone and pay at various merchants such as home Depot. All you need is an email address and a verified bank a/c.

Postal money orders take six months to clear and are often bought in one dollar denominations and then altered.

Internet scams abound about: cash our money orders, keep 200.00 and send us the rest. Of course the money order bounces and the endorser is on the hook for the full amount. Many of the money orders are obvious forgeries with misspellings.

I've heard that Tobacconists rent out humidors if you need a safe deposit box.

A few years ago Bank of America let zillions of immigrants without a social security number open up accounts so I don't see why it would be a problem for you to get one.
  • Jump to: