petroglyph
petroglyph
  • Threads: 19
October 11th, 2014 at 11:17:45 PM permalink
Quote: mickeycrimm

Is that guy still living? We had a big barbecue up Lynn Canal out of Juneau one summer. Christ, that was like 1986. Hobo Jim showed up and gave us a free concert.

As of at least this past summer.

All three of my kids have been on stage with him at one time or another. I played a cd of his just the other day. I saw he even did a cameo on "deadliest catch".

If you know who "Jewel" [sp?] is he gave her her start down in Homer, word is she doesn't want to acknowledge that is where she is from.

Lynn Canal, hell I worked in Haines in 92? Didn't the Klondikers have to go past there to get to Skagway and up the famous trail?

Hobo is a loose friend of ours, don't want to reveal more publicly.

"there's no sled tracks in front of me and no one on my trail, I did, I did, I did, the Iditarod trail" HJV

If you was there in 86, did you stick around and become a "spillionaire" in PWS in 88?
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
October 12th, 2014 at 5:11:35 AM permalink
Quote: Sonuvabish

I can't close the thread, I'm not a moderator? Are you soft in the head? I didn't say I quit the thread, I'm never posting again. I said you win, Fox is great. I said thread closed, as in, ok everyone can stop posting now. WTF? Do you already figure this and just want to argue, or are you slow?

Funny how the poster says they are done yet in the thread keeps posting. To Sonuvabish, you may want to watch the personal insults as well as the ones to the group in general. Such insults both degrade the forum and additionally show you have nothing to say and nothing to back up your point.

Quote:

Look up the references. You expect me to do a research project to attempt to prove to some strange, old, republican that Fox sux (which would fail, because you would disbelieve even overwhelming evidence) ? What do I care if you sound like a lunatic to your grandchildren? I don't. All you'd have to do is watch Fox news with half of a brain, and there'd be some evidence enough of all these 'contentions'.

You seem to find this strange, but yes we do expect you to do some research to make your point. You have done nothing to advance your position of FNC being biased. Most everyone who is pro-FNC has cited specific examples of why they think it is not. Others have pointed out the ratings and asked why if FNC was so bad would so many people watch. Your retort is to call them old, racist, or whatever.

So, let the research begin. Bring your points. Of course, if the wikipedia article is dragging up arguments with bias itself, do be prepared for intelligent report from the conservative-libertarian minority on this board. After which you may retort. This is how intelligent thread flow here works.

Bring your examples of bias. But be careful, never throw rocks at a guy with a machine gun.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
Sonuvabish
Sonuvabish
  • Threads: 29
October 12th, 2014 at 5:22:23 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Funny how the poster says they are done yet in the thread keeps posting. To Sonuvabish, you may want to watch the personal insults as well as the ones to the group in general. Such insults both degrade the forum and additionally show you have nothing to say and nothing to back up your point.

Shut up for christ sake. In my opinion, you are not entitled to an opinion.

\

So, let the research begin. Bring your points.

Yeah I'll get right on that. After I'm done, I'll begin a research project for Holocaust-deniers because they also have a respectable point of view and are worth the time.
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
October 12th, 2014 at 6:13:16 AM permalink

Shut up for christ sake. In my opinion, you are not entitled to an opinion.

Oh dearie me... that's kinda of a 'facepalm' move.

I'd call it ironic, but I am never sure what is after Alanis.

In short, FNC is probably biased. But so is MSNBC. Taking news from one source will show the internal editorial biases, whether that be to entertain, shock, promote a conservative view, a democratic one, or just to make advertising numbers.

I personally can't stand the style of FOX news, and find their lead commentator, Bill-O an insufferable blowhard. I still go there occasionally when there's something big I want to get a second view on.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
mickeycrimm
mickeycrimm
  • Threads: 62
October 12th, 2014 at 7:55:42 AM permalink
Quote: petroglyph

As of at least this past summer.

All three of my kids have been on stage with him at one time or another. I played a cd of his just the other day. I saw he even did a cameo on "deadliest catch".

If you know who "Jewel" [sp?] is he gave her her start down in Homer, word is she doesn't want to acknowledge that is where she is from.

Lynn Canal, hell I worked in Haines in 92? Didn't the Klondikers have to go past there to get to Skagway and up the famous trail?

Hobo is a loose friend of ours, don't want to reveal more publicly.

"there's no sled tracks in front of me and no one on my trail, I did, I did, I did, the Iditarod trail" HJV

If you was there in 86, did you stick around and become a "spillionaire" in PWS in 88?

Well, I have a lot of stories per your above post. I have a long Alaska history. I first went there, Juneau, in 1974. It was the pipeline days and I was 21 years old. My mother, stepfather, and two sisters have been living in Juneau since 1970. I bounced all over the state living and working in Juneau, Ketchikan, Anchorage, Fairbanks, Kodiak, Valdez, Nenana, Naknek, Dutch Harbor, etc. That was mixed in with periods where I would be in the lower 48.

In 1988 I went into a sort of island hopping phase. I had two bartending jobs that year. The Gold Rush Saloon, a biker bar in White Center, Washington, a suburb of Seattle, and the Vagabond, in Canby, Oregon, just south or Portland. I had been bartending for about 6 years and the lifestyle was getting old. Putting me behind the bar is like putting a bull in a china closet. I had to make a break from it so I could at least spend half my life sober.

So I drug up and took off driving to visit my folks in Mississippi. I was driving on a revoked Alaska driver's license. There was no way I was going to go back to living in Mississippi. So after visiting with my folks I took off for Florida. I was living out of my car, in homeless parlance that is called "rubber tramping." I also had plenty of day labor experience so that's what I did in Florida. I worked day labor in St. Petersburg, Tallahasse, Gainesville, Orlando, Fort Myers, Fort Lauderdale, then took off for the Keyes.

I spent a few months working day labor in Key West and getting drunk on Duvall Street every night. In January 1989 I decided to drag up on Florida. My intention was to make it back to Alaska. Driving north through Florida I got pulled over for a tail light being out. It was before internet saturation so the cop wrote me up for driving without a license and insurance. I kept driving. I had enough gas money to make it to Phoenix, Arizona where I worked day labor for Arizona Labor Force. I got pulled over again and got wrote up for driving without a license and insurance. Then took off for Salt Lake City where I once again worked day labor.

Seattle is where the corporate offices for all the Alaska Fisheries are. That's where they do the hiring. And there was plenty of day labor in the Seattle area. That's where I was headed to when I got pulled over in Kelso, Washington, this time for a headlight being out. Washington was in the "west coast check." California, Oregon, Washington, Alaska and Hawaii were all in the same computer. So off to jail I go for driving on a revoked license. My car was impounded. When I got out of jail I didn't even come close to having enough money to get my car out of impound. It was gone, period. I had to scramble.

I caught an add in the classifieds for laborers being hired on to the All Alaska, a freighter sitting in the Port of Tacoma, that was being refit for a floating processor. I headed on down and applied, got hired on the spot. They handed me a key to a stateroom, and they served four meals a day. In one fell swoop I had a job, a place to stay, and all I could eat.

The time period ended every Saturday and we got paid every Monday. So there we were, a confederacy of dunces, working 12 hour days, seven days a week. And getting drunk in the bars just off the dock every night. There was a girl on the boat spreading it around. Except the foreman who did all the hiring and firing fell in love with her. Two guys had already been fired over her. Then she started throwing it at me. I couldn't resist. So I was the next one to get canned.

At that point I narrowed it down to two choices. I could fly to Valdez and work the oil spill, or fly to Dutch Harbor and work the docks. I chose Dutch. I was a stevedore loading and offloading ships, mostly seafood product. It was a rough tough job. You had to be able to stack 60 pound boxes 12 hours a day, sometimes 18, and the longest shift I did was 32 hours.

The Chief Engineer off the All Alaska was working in Dutch on a shored based processor. After I left the boat he got fired over the girl on the boat. The foreman couldn't fire the guy because he had to much rank. But the Chief Engineer went off and punched the foreman in the face, so got canned for violence. We became quick friends.

One day he came to me and said

"I got this friend who is a gold miner in the Alaska Range. He's looking for someone to run a back hoe feeding the plant. Do you know anybody?"
"What's he paying?" I asked.
"$1000 a week plus room and board but you have to work 7 twelves."
"Yeah, me." I said.

So I flew to Anchorage where I met a pilot at the airport who flew me up to the camp. It was 5000 feet high in the Alaska Range close to the Yukon border, about 60 miles east of Paxson Lodge. I spent the rest of the summer feeding the plant with a back hoe just like you see on Gold Rush. The guy I worked for took out 7000 ounces a year. We ran until the water wouldn't run anymore then flew back to Anchorage.

So I'm standing in Anchorage with $6000 in my pocket. Where do I want to go next? Hawaii!!!! I never island hopped that joint. So I flew to Honolulu and wound up on Mauai. It was a blast until the money dried up. I was reduced all the way back down to a goddam day laborer working for Island Movers. Hawaii is pretty nice when you are just dealing with the tourist traps. But living and dealing with the locals is quite the culture shock. You wind up bored to tears sitting on a big rock in the middle of the ocean.

I got my income tax return the next spring and flew back to Seattle. And from there I eventually wound up back in Dutch. But that's another story....
"Quit trying your luck and start trying your skill." Mickey Crimm
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
October 12th, 2014 at 8:50:34 AM permalink
Quote: Rules

1. Absolutely no personal insults. If you disagree with another forum member, politely attack the writing, not the writer.

Quote: Rules

12. No bullying/trolling: Members are expected to act like ladies and gentlemen. Members may not be overly divisive or abusive to another member.

Edit: re: Sonovabish suspension for 14 days.
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
mickeycrimm
mickeycrimm
October 12th, 2014 at 1:24:50 PM permalink

I once saw a free Jewel performance but I didn't know it was her. My home bar in downtown Great Falls is a karaoke bar on Friday nights. It's party night, we all get together, get drunk, and get up there and butcher songs. So one night a few years back this strawberry blond chick walks through the door and signs up for karaoke. She was a total stranger to us. No one had ever seen her before. So she gets up there and does Celine Dion's Titanic song. We were all like "Holy Sh@t!! This girl doesn't belong in Great Falls, she belongs in Nashville." She had all the guys crying in their frickin' beers. She came up to the bar to get a drink and I told her she sounded an awful lot like Jewel. She just gave me a blank stare and said something like "Well, I'm trying to be a recording artist." After that night no one ever saw her again.

A couple of months later I was watching Larry King Live and Jewel was the guest. Larry asked her what she had been up to lately. She said her and her husband had spent the summer touring Montana on motorcycles and hitting the karaoke bars. Holy crap I thought. That was her in our bar that night. Motorcyclists touring Montana is big time tourist dollars here in the summer.

I told everyone in our bar about it. Kelly, the manager is a pretty good karaoke singer herself. She said "No wonder that bitch made me look bad."

I recently discovered that her family, the Kilchers, are the ones featured on the Discovery's Channel's Alaska: The Last Fronter. Atz Kilcher is her father. How they live on that show is how she lived growing up outside Homer.
petroglyph
petroglyph
October 12th, 2014 at 4:34:13 PM permalink

I once saw a free Jewel performance but I didn't know it was her. My home bar in downtown Great Falls is a karaoke bar on Friday nights. It's party night, we all get together, get drunk, and get up there and butcher songs. So one night a few years back this strawberry blond chick walks through the door and signs up for karaoke. She was a total stranger to us. No one had ever seen her before. So she gets up there and does Celine Dion's Titanic song. We were all like "Holy Sh@t!! This girl doesn't belong in Great Falls, she belongs in Nashville." She had all the guys crying in their frickin' beers. She came up to the bar to get a drink and I told her she sounded an awful lot like Jewel. She just gave me a blank stare and said something like "Well, I'm trying to be a recording artist." After that night no one ever saw her again.

A couple of months later I was watching Larry King Live and Jewel was the guest. Larry asked her what she had been up to lately. She said her and her husband had spent the summer touring Montana on motorcycles and hitting the karaoke bars. Holy crap I thought. That was her in our bar that night. Motorcyclists touring Montana is big time tourist dollars here in the summer.

I told everyone in our bar about it. Kelly, the manager is a pretty good karaoke singer herself. She said "No wonder that bitch made me look bad."

I recently discovered that her family, the Kilchers, are the ones featured on the Discovery's Channel's Alaska: The Last Fronter. Atz Kilcher is her father. How they live on that show is how she lived growing up outside Homer.

That show is embarrassing. They make all homesteaders look inbred. I believe it was they're ranch we had a chopper staging area out of in '90. That show has got to be staged big time, they make cutting firewood look like brain surgery, it's not. They act like if they don't harvest some range cow they will starve. I say, "or" you could just drive into Safeway and check the meat counter. We like to refer to them as "Homeroids"

Great Falls? There used to be a nice little whore house in Great Falls once, and some dandy's over back toward Kellogg. Is that still open?

Talk about chance encounters, we met Linda Hamilton [terminator 1] in BJ's bar in Soldotna, [was the bear den] and I do believe this chick was stealth performing in Kodiak and I was lucky enough to see her and somehow wrangle a big hug, till she made me for a lecher. What was I supposed to do?

She sung "black velvet" for us, un friggin real talent up close. http://youtu.be/tkXNEmtf9tk

Mickey, I got to know, what year were you in Kodiak?
mickeycrimm
mickeycrimm
October 12th, 2014 at 5:17:52 PM permalink

Mickey, I got to know, what year were you in Kodiak?

Kodiak was an easy place for a guy like me to get a job in the shore based processors when the salmon were running. The first time there was the summer of 86. The next and last time there was the summer of 1991.
Mooseton
Mooseton
  • Threads: 14
November 14th, 2014 at 2:28:15 AM permalink
Guess it's time to bump this thread. Gruber's comments aren't getting coverage from the MSM. Big surprise!
$1700, 18, 19, 1920, 40, 60,... :/ Thx 'Do it again'. I'll try
Sonuvabish
Sonuvabish
November 14th, 2014 at 2:47:00 AM permalink
Quote: Mooseton

Guess it's time to bump this thread. Gruber's comments aren't getting coverage from the MSM. Big surprise!

As the starter of this thread, this topic has nothing to do with this thread...this is just more nonsense. I agree with BBB that the entire conversation that this stems from is nonsense, and you're taking nonsense into another thread.

I request to the mods that this thread be CLOSED.
Mooseton
Mooseton
November 14th, 2014 at 3:30:29 AM permalink
Nonsense you say! I'm Not a part of that conversation in another thread. Unless there's another media bias thread my comment seemed very appropriate.

And on my phone it looks like RonC is the OP, not you.
Sonuvabish
Sonuvabish
November 14th, 2014 at 4:06:29 AM permalink

Nonsense you say! I'm Not a part of that conversation in another thread. Unless there's another media bias thread my comment seemed very appropriate.

And on my phone it looks like RonC is the OP, not you.

He's responding to a post I made. This thread was split from another thread. This thread is entirely about Fox news. It was named by BBB.

Your topic is about something being discussed in Obamacare (for no particular reason, I might add). That whole thread is utter nonsense.

I apologize, I didn't realize you were not part of the nonsensical conversation in that thread. However, I have a feeling your topic belongs there. MrWarmth thinks everyone's agenda, conspiratorially, is to ignore the Gruber statements, even tho they have nothing to do with anything. Another person persistently argues that french fries are healthy, and therefore, Michelle Obama's war on obesity is outrageous.
mickeycrimm
mickeycrimm
November 14th, 2014 at 6:52:22 AM permalink

All the networks are ignoring the story. CNN did a tiny little bit. The story favors the right so the liberal media is ignoring it. Only the minority conservative media like Fox News is covering it.

Gruber's comments come as no surpise to me. I think both sides use deceptive practices.
mickeycrimm
mickeycrimm
November 14th, 2014 at 6:56:03 AM permalink

He's responding to a post I made. This thread was split from another thread. This thread is entirely about Fox news. It was named by BBB.

This thread is called New Channel Bias. It's highly appropriate to make comments about what liberal and conservative news outlets are doing or not doing with the story. I for one refuse to be controlled by you. You don't run anything here.
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 89
November 14th, 2014 at 7:17:35 AM permalink

This thread is called New Channel Bias. It's highly appropriate to make comments about what liberal and conservative news outlets are doing or not doing with the story. I for one refuse to be controlled by you. You don't run anything here.

Best news channel covering the USA
Aljazeera America.
No left right slant, just great reporting with the facts.
I have been quite impressed.
I refuse the watch the garbage reporting on FOX, MSNBC and CNN.
Aljazeera America rocks. Number 2, BBC America, again no left right slant.
Its just a forum. Nothing here to get obsessed about.
SanchoPanza
SanchoPanza
  • Threads: 34
November 14th, 2014 at 9:55:11 AM permalink

As the starter of this thread, this topic has nothing to do with this thread...this is just more nonsense. I agree with BBB that the entire conversation that this stems from is nonsense, and you're taking nonsense into another thread. I request to the mods that this thread be CLOSED.

That is inaccurate in much the same way that the WOO seal is. The quotation that started this thread was chosen by a moderator.
SanchoPanza
SanchoPanza
November 14th, 2014 at 10:05:09 AM permalink
Quote: terapined

Best news channel covering the USA Aljazeera America. No left right slant, just great reporting with the facts. I have been quite impressed.

The Doha operation does not have exactly the most sterling reputation, as Wikipedia notes:

"Al Jazeera has been criticized for being state media owned by the government of Qatar.[12][13][14][15][16][17] Al Jazeera has been accused of being pro-Wahabi as well as being pro-political Islam (Including Muslim Brotherhood), and having a strong anti-Iranian and anti-Shia bias. Compared to all the other network, Al Jazeera seldom broadcast extremist Salafi's attacks on the cultural heritage in Afghanistan, Iraq and Syria, which can be attributed to the Salafi beliefs of its owners and executives. The network also downplays atrocities committed by the extremist groups, and instead highlights actions taken by the Western governments. It also never broadcasts anything even remotely critical of Qatar's ruling family, including human right violations or the abuse of immigrant workers in Qatar. Al Jazeera can be recognized as an apparatus of the Qatari elites to exert influence over the region via propagation of political Islam combined with Salafism, hence being accused of supporting terrorism. In 2010, United States Department of State internal communications, released by WikiLeaks as part of the 2010 diplomatic cables leak, claim that the Qatar government manipulates Al Jazeera coverage to suit political interests.[18][19][20][21][22][23]

"Al Jazeera's Shia Beirut correspondent Ali Hashem resigned from Al Jazeera after leaked e-mails shows his discontent over the outlet's "unprofessional" and biased coverage of the Syrian civil war in light of the Bahraini uprising, which was not given the prominence of the Syrian conflict on the network,[24][25] one side of the conflict which was partly funded by the state of Qatar, who also fund Al Jazeera.

"Al Jazeera's long-time Berlin correspondent Aktham Suliman left in late 2012 "It wasn't just because the broadcaster seemed less interested in reports from Europe. Rather, Suliman had the feeling that he was no longer being allowed to work as an independent journalist. "Before the beginning of the Arab Spring, we were a voice for change," he says, "a platform for critics and political activists throughout the region. Now, Al-Jazeera has become a propaganda broadcaster." "Al-Jazeera takes a clear position in every country from which it reports -- not based on journalistic priorities, but rather on the interests of the Foreign Ministry of Qatar," he says. "In order to maintain my integrity as a reporter, I had to quit.""[2] [26] He writes, "The news channel Al Jazeera was committed to the truth. Now it is bent. It's about politics, not journalism. For the reporter that means: time to go. [...] The decline 2004-2011 was insidious, subliminal and very slow, but with a disastrous end."[27]

"Walid Phares indicated that the Qatar-owned Al Jazeera television network became the “primary ideological and communication network” for the Muslim Brotherhood and Salafists during the Arab Spring in Tunisia, Egypt, Libya , Yemen, and Syria in 2011.[28] He noted that after democratic forces had initiated the rebellions, Al Jazeera played a “tremendous role”[28] in supporting the Islamic forces that then seized the revolutions.

"Al Jazeera has suffered the exodus of numerous prominent staff members. Reporters and anchors, particularly in cities like Paris, London, Moscow, Beirut and Cairo have left Al-Jazeera, despite what are seen as luxurious working conditions in centrally located offices. And despite the fact that the network is investing an estimated $500 million (€375 million) in the US, so as to reach even more viewers on the world's largest television market—one in which its biggest competitor, CNN, is at home.[2][29][30] Among the largest walk-offs, was that of 22 members of Al Jazeera's Egyptian bureau. The group announced their resignation on July 8, 2013, citing bias coverage of the ongoing Egyptian power redistribution in favor of the Muslim Brotherhood.[31][32][33][34][35][36]"
terapined
terapined
November 14th, 2014 at 11:39:47 AM permalink
Could of linked all this.
Thats alot for fair use.
Maybe edit and simply provide a link, The Wiz and Zuga might appreciate that :-)
Also could been a little more objective and state that the Foxnews controversey wiki page is a lot lot longer the the Al Jazeera controversey page :-)
I'll simply provide a link, web page way too long :-)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fox_News_controversies
Sonuvabish
Sonuvabish
November 14th, 2014 at 11:42:52 AM permalink

Well, they didn't close it per my request so I suppose you are correct. And I wrongly thought he was part of the nonsense thread, for which I owed and gave an apology. But I didn't say or imply I run anything old dude, chill.
Sonuvabish
Sonuvabish
November 14th, 2014 at 11:48:45 AM permalink
Quote: SanchoPanza

That is inaccurate in much the same way that the WOO seal is. The quotation that started this thread was chosen by a moderator.

It was a completely arbitrary decision. Why do several of you persist in debating non-issues?
SanchoPanza
SanchoPanza
November 14th, 2014 at 11:53:30 AM permalink

It was a completely arbitrary decision. Why do several of you persist in debating non-issues?

Stating facts that were intentionally or coincidentally omitted does not constitute "debate."
Sonuvabish
Sonuvabish
November 14th, 2014 at 11:57:09 AM permalink

Stating facts that were intentionally or coincidentally omitted does not constitute "debate."

No facts were omitted, they were fully fleshed out between me and the OP. We're still debating a non-issue and you don't know what a debate is. Please quit.
SanchoPanza
SanchoPanza
November 14th, 2014 at 4:41:56 PM permalink

Also could been a little more objective and state that the Foxnews controversey wiki page is a lot lot longer the the Al Jazeera controversey page :-)

That is to be expected, what with its immensely larger number of viewers.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
November 23rd, 2014 at 12:42:05 AM permalink
Just curious if Fox News will spend all day on this new report. The conclusions basically go against their usual agenda.

Quote:

An investigation by the Republican-led House Intelligence Committee has concluded that the CIA and U.S. military responded appropriately to the attacks on U.S. facilities in Benghazi, Libya, in 2012, dismissing allegations that the Obama administration blocked rescue attempts during the assault or sought to mislead the public afterward.

After a two-year probe that involved the review of thousands of pages of classified documents, the panel determined that the attack could not be blamed on an intelligence failure, and that CIA security operatives “ably and bravely assisted” State Department officials who were overwhelmed at a nearby but separate diplomatic compound.

The committee also found “no evidence that there was either a stand down order or a denial of available air support,” rejecting claims that have fed persistent conspiracy theories that the U.S. military was prevented from rescuing U.S. personnel from a night-time assault that killed U.S. Ambassador Christopher Stevens and three other Americans.

The House panel faulted preliminary assessments by the CIA and other agencies on what had caused the attacks and motivated militants, leading to erroneous public assertions by then-U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations Susan Rice that the assault had erupted from a spontaneous protest. The White House effort to assemble her talking points was deemed “flawed.”

But overall, the panel’s findings were broadly consistent with the Obama administration’s version of events. Previous investigations have reached similar conclusions, but the House committee’s report may be seen as more credible by critics of the administration’s handling of Benghazi because the panel is controlled by Republicans.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/house-panel-finds-no-intelligence-failure-in-benghazi-attacks/2014/11/21/0749a070-71dd-11e4-ad12-3734c461eab6_story.html
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
RonC
RonC
  • Threads: 40
November 23rd, 2014 at 4:38:29 AM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Just curious if Fox News will spend all day on this new report. The conclusions basically go against their usual agenda.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/house-panel-finds-no-intelligence-failure-in-benghazi-attacks/2014/11/21/0749a070-71dd-11e4-ad12-3734c461eab6_story.html

Why would they need to spend all day on it? They consistently asked for an investigation, finally got an independent one (one not run by the administration), and the results have come in.

The questions around Susan Rice's comments remain and calling them "flawed" is an understatement. The attitude the administration presented when questioned about the whole thing--by not answering and stonewalling--is why the whole thing became a daily story.

Lesson never learned by this administration in spite of proof coming in that transparency does work--It is hard to have a daily story about something that is done in the open and that questions are answered about promptly. This whole thing would have not been in the news this long if the administration had gotten the talking points right and allowed a full independent investigation as soon as possible after the events in Benghazi.

I know, I know...it is all just them mean old dastardly Republicans picking on this fantastic President. It has nothing to do with the thing everyone was for when he ran for President--transparency and the lack thereof--or with anything they might have actually been wrong about.

Some people won't fully believe the report, but this will put the issue to bed for many because the proper investigation and results have been done (if the story is correct; the Post does have a liberal lean in the news department). See how easy that was?

edit...

Of course, we all need to read from more than one source...

“CIA security personnel testified that State Department (diplomatic security) agents repeatedly stated they felt ill-equipped and ill-trained to contend with the threat environment in Benghazi,” the report said. “According to eyewitnesses . . . the DS agents knew well before the attacks that they could not defend the (Special Mission) against an armed assault.”

http://www.stripes.com/news/us/new-benghazi-report-says-security-flaws-were-known-but-not-why-stevens-was-there-1.315545

Why was ambassador allowed to stay there for what was to be four nights when the security was known to be lacking? Poor decision making; at what level, I am not sure...
Dalex64
Dalex64
  • Threads: 1
November 23rd, 2014 at 9:34:06 AM permalink
Lindsey Graham appears to not accept a report which doesn't say what he wanted it to say.

I put him in the group who didn't want the truth, just a specific result.
SanchoPanza
SanchoPanza
November 23rd, 2014 at 6:29:16 PM permalink
Quote: Dalex64

Lindsey Graham appears to not accept a report which doesn't say what he wanted it to say. I put him in the group who didn't want the truth, just a specific result.

Maybe, just maybe, the fact that the Rogers family is involved with a $10 billion (cq) security contract for U.S. diplomatic installations, including Benghazi, was a factor in Rogers's continuing his pooh-poohing about any such problems. As well as maybe, just maybe, the conflict-of-interest problem with the Intelligence Committee led to the creation of the select committee.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
December 4th, 2014 at 5:49:58 AM permalink
FNC beats nightly broadcast news in select markets!

Yes, it is just five markets for now, but it was also "just a car from Germany with the engine in the wrong place" before import cars crushed Detroit. The networks are dead.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
December 6th, 2014 at 12:46:42 AM permalink

FNC beats nightly broadcast news in select markets!

'In cable news, Baier ranks #1 in the 6PM/ET hour, beating CNN, MSNBC, and HLN combined in both demo and total viewers'

Why you would watch any other news
show is a mystery. At the end you get
to see George Will and Krauthammer.
It makes me giddy with delight.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
Keyser
Keyser
  • Threads: 35
December 6th, 2014 at 8:10:40 AM permalink
The general public doesn't trust CNN or the others, and for some very good reasons.

Fox also has the best talent.
Mooseton
Mooseton
December 6th, 2014 at 1:36:57 PM permalink
I loved it yesterday when Meghan Kelly brought up duke lacrosse story and how she was reporting the facts with an unbiased journalist type view. They rolled a clip showing all the other MSM condemning dukes lacrosse team and fraternities. Of course the story ended up all a hoax. It was just nice to see Fox News call out all the others and show why they're the fairest.
Gandler
Gandler
December 6th, 2014 at 3:27:15 PM permalink
I think Fox News is the most fair and balanced channel. Their actual News segments (NOT their commenters) is really good and balanced.

Obviously shows like Hannity And Oreilly are commentary opinions shows and as such reflect the opinions of the show host. But even then they invite people of opposing views on to debate.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
December 6th, 2014 at 3:29:06 PM permalink

I loved it yesterday when Meghan Kelly brought up duke lacrosse story and how she was reporting the facts with an unbiased journalist type view. They rolled a clip showing all the other MSM condemning dukes lacrosse team and fraternities. Of course the story ended up all a hoax. It was just nice to see Fox News call out all the others and show why they're the fairest.

This is why I laugh when people call FOX
FauxNews. What are they watching if they
think a fair and balanced network is lying?
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
terapined
terapined
January 8th, 2015 at 7:03:55 AM permalink
The news score from last nite concerning the attacks in France.

MSNBC and NBC - TOTAL FAIL-Reported duo arrested
FOXNEWS - PARTIAL FAIL - reported possible arrest of duo
CNN - WIN - never reported rumour duo arrested.
SanchoPanza
SanchoPanza
January 9th, 2015 at 11:01:55 AM permalink

The news score from last nite concerning the attacks in France. MSNBC and NBC - TOTAL FAIL-Reported duo arrested
FOXNEWS - PARTIAL FAIL - reported possible arrest of duo CNN - WIN - never reported rumour duo arrested.

That third network has quite a reputation for not being careful: "CNN actually was quite gullible to the extent that they cited a tweet from the well known North Korean parody account of @DPRK_News as if it were the real deal. Although CNN eventually pulled the parody tweet citation, @Popehat who is the real author of the @DPRK_News preserved the screen shot below for all eternity so that future generations can laugh at both the CNN gullibility and their lack of basic fact checking:
Screenshot, before it's memory-holed, and yes this head is going on the family wall. pic.twitter.com/iDznxxuwIY
— Popehat (@Popehat) January 4, 2015
Finance Minister Choe Kwang-Jin order all assets of U.S. President Obama frozen in response to braggartly aggressions against DPRK.
"Braggartly?" You think CNN might have gotten a clue here but noooooo. They fell for it hook, line, and sinker. Later they had to post a correction for being so incredibly gullible:
Note: An earlier version of this story included a tweet from what was actually a parody account. CNN regrets the error." media resource center
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
January 9th, 2015 at 12:41:54 PM permalink

The news score from last nite concerning the attacks in France.

MSNBC and NBC - TOTAL FAIL-Reported duo arrested
FOXNEWS - PARTIAL FAIL - reported possible arrest of duo
CNN - WIN - never reported rumour duo arrested.

I am not sure why FNC gets a "partial fail?" News channels will talk about "possible" or "unconfirmed reports" during breaking news all of the time. They did the best of both worlds, mentioned what the chatter was but said they could not confirm it.
terapined
terapined
January 9th, 2015 at 12:51:51 PM permalink

I am not sure why FNC gets a "partial fail?" News channels will talk about "possible" or "unconfirmed reports" during breaking news all of the time. They did the best of both worlds, mentioned what the chatter was but said they could not confirm it.

Actually that nite switched from Fox to CNN to BBC to MSNBC to Al Jazeera.

Just about every news channel treated this as a huge story except FOX. With FOX, very little news reporting, stuck with same talking heads opinion shows such as Oreilly and his spin zone covering other topics.
SanchoPanza
SanchoPanza
January 9th, 2015 at 5:13:02 PM permalink

That is an especially pivotal factor when trying to obtain information from a bumbling bunch of officials like the French government. Even after the killings at the kosher grocery in the Marais, the authorities remained unsure about just which terrorists were in the store and just how the wife of the dead jihadi might have fled a supposed lockdown enforced by thousands of law enforcement personnel.

Of course, the fact that most of them, as well as the entire civilian populace, are not allowed to be armed in any way could also contribute to the widespread and growing sense of insecurity and peril. At any rate, we will still have to wait to see what the American reaction might be. Even if nothing specific is taken up, that, too, will send a crystal clear message.
Twirdman
Twirdman
  • Threads: 0
January 9th, 2015 at 6:03:51 PM permalink

That third network has quite a reputation for not being careful: "CNN actually was quite gullible to the extent that they cited a tweet from the well known North Korean parody account of @DPRK_News as if it were the real deal. Although CNN eventually pulled the parody tweet citation, @Popehat who is the real author of the @DPRK_News preserved the screen shot below for all eternity so that future generations can laugh at both the CNN gullibility and their lack of basic fact checking:
Screenshot, before it's memory-holed, and yes this head is going on the family wall. pic.twitter.com/iDznxxuwIY
— Popehat (@Popehat) January 4, 2015
Finance Minister Choe Kwang-Jin order all assets of U.S. President Obama frozen in response to braggartly aggressions against DPRK.
"Braggartly?" You think CNN might have gotten a clue here but noooooo. They fell for it hook, line, and sinker. Later they had to post a correction for being so incredibly gullible:
Note: An earlier version of this story included a tweet from what was actually a parody account. CNN regrets the error." media resource center

Yeah fox has the same problem with falling for that https://www.popehat.com/2014/12/20/the-curious-case-of-the-t-v-attorney-and-twitter/ . Even after Greta was contacted by the owner and told the news was fake she tried to hold fast. The fact is most news now seems more concerned with getting there first rather then actually being right so they all have major failures.
SanchoPanza
SanchoPanza
January 9th, 2015 at 9:54:37 PM permalink
There are frequent and very good reasons, including mindless and rank amateurism, that CNN is regarded so lowly in the field of journalism. Here is just one of today's goof-ups:

"CNN's Chris Cuomo made a "colorful" gaffe on Friday's @ This Hour, as he reported live from Paris, France. Minutes after police stormed both sites where Islamists had barricaded themselves, Cuomo labeled one of the dead French terrorists "African-American." Anderson Cooper quickly corrected his colleague: "Not American – the man of African descent." Cuomo replied, "Right – African descent. Thank you. Sorry, Anderson." [video below]

The two journalists were referring to Amedy Coulibaly, who had stormed a kosher market just outside of the French capital and had taken hostages. According to a Friday report by the Washington Post's Michael Birnbaum, "French police believe he [Coulibaly] converted to radical Islam while in prison for armed robbery in 2005." The UK's Daily Telegraph also pointed out that the terrorist was a "Frenchman of Senegalese descent from Juvisy in the Essonne area outside Paris."

This wasn't the first time that a CNN anchor made this sort of gaffe. Back in November 2005, Carol Lin also used the "African-American" label during a report on riots near Paris by Islamic immigrants." --mrc
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
January 10th, 2015 at 4:45:47 AM permalink

There are frequent and very good reasons, including mindless and rank amateurism, that CNN is regarded so lowly in the field of journalism. Here is just one of today's goof-ups:

"CNN's Chris Cuomo made a "colorful" gaffe on Friday's @ This Hour, as he reported live from Paris, France. Minutes after police stormed both sites where Islamists had barricaded themselves, Cuomo labeled one of the dead French terrorists "African-American." Anderson Cooper quickly corrected his colleague: "Not American – the man of African descent." Cuomo replied, "Right – African descent. Thank you. Sorry, Anderson." [video below]

Journalists are allergic to saying "black." I remember reading where some local news did one of those quick time fill international pieces at the end of the show about the first black female in South Africa to win some kind of beauty contest. They said she was "the first African-American to win." They say the switchboard lit up with people calling in to complain.
petroglyph
petroglyph
January 10th, 2015 at 12:56:41 PM permalink
You may just be reading news written by a bot?

http://www.technologyreview.com/news/533976/robot-journalist-finds-new-work-on-wall-street/
SanchoPanza
SanchoPanza
January 11th, 2015 at 3:14:36 PM permalink

Actually that nite switched from Fox to CNN to BBC to MSNBC to Al Jazeera.

Hopefully, it is clear to one and all that Jazeera is not much more than a tool for a narrow and aggressive poitical-religious viewpoint.
To the extent of the propaganda organ's being unable to abide even the most basic concept of free speech:

"As journalists worldwide reacted with universal revulsion at the massacre of some of their own by Islamic jihadists in Paris, Al Jazeera English editor and executive producer Salah-Aldeen Khadr sent out a staff-wide e-mail.
“Please accept this note in the spirit it is intended — to make our coverage the best it can be,” the London-based Khadr wrote Thursday, in the first of a series of internal e-mails leaked to National Review Online. “We are Al Jazeera!”
Below was a list of “suggestions” for how anchors and correspondents at the Qatar-based news outlet should cover Wednesday’s slaughter at the Charlie Hebdo office (the full e-mails can be found below).
Khadr urged his employees to ask if this was “really an attack on ‘free speech,’” discuss whether “I Am Charlie” is an “alienating slogan,” caution viewers against “making this a free speech aka ‘European Values’ under attack binary [sic],” and portray the attack as “a clash of extremist fringes.”
“Defending freedom of expression in the face of oppression is one thing; insisting on the right to be obnoxious and offensive just because you can is infantile,” Khadr wrote. “Baiting extremists isn’t bravely defiant when your manner of doing so is more significant in offending millions of moderate people as well. And within a climate where violent response — however illegitimate — is a real risk, taking a goading stand on a principle virtually no one contests is worse than pointless: it’s pointlessly all about you.” --national review
terapined
terapined
January 11th, 2015 at 4:12:31 PM permalink

Hopefully, it is clear to one and all that Jazeera is not much more than a tool for a narrow and aggressive poitical-religious viewpoint.
To the extent of the propaganda organ's being unable to abide even the most basic concept of free speech:

Link doesn't work.
I watch it.
Its pretty fair and balanced.

Do you ever check it out yourself? Judge for yourself.
I could care less what liberal media publishes or says about Fox.
I check out Fox for myself and what I have seen with my own eyes, definitely unfair and unbalanced. Take the so called no spin zone show, I've watched it myself, its a spin zone :-)
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
January 11th, 2015 at 4:51:45 PM permalink

I check out Fox for myself and what I have seen with my own eyes, definitely unfair and unbalanced. Take the so called no spin zone show, I've watched it myself, its a spin zone :-)

Yeah, investigating when the government just says nothing happened. Guests from both left and right. FNC is just biased.
Gandler
Gandler
January 11th, 2015 at 6:12:25 PM permalink

"As journalists worldwide reacted with universal revulsion at the massacre of some of their own by Islamic jihadists in Paris, Al Jazeera English editor and executive producer Salah-Aldeen Khadr sent out a staff-wide e-mail.
“Please accept this note in the spirit it is intended — to make our coverage the best it can be,” the London-based Khadr wrote Thursday, in the first of a series of internal e-mails leaked to National Review Online. “We are Al Jazeera!”
Below was a list of “suggestions” for how anchors and correspondents at the Qatar-based news outlet should cover Wednesday’s slaughter at the Charlie Hebdo office (the full e-mails can be found below).
Khadr urged his employees to ask if this was “really an attack on ‘free speech,’” discuss whether “I Am Charlie” is an “alienating slogan,” caution viewers against “making this a free speech aka ‘European Values’ under attack binary [sic],” and portray the attack as “a clash of extremist fringes.”
“Defending freedom of expression in the face of oppression is one thing; insisting on the right to be obnoxious and offensive just because you can is infantile,” Khadr wrote. “Baiting extremists isn’t bravely defiant when your manner of doing so is more significant in offending millions of moderate people as well. And within a climate where violent response — however illegitimate — is a real risk, taking a goading stand on a principle virtually no one contests is worse than pointless: it’s pointlessly all about you.” --national review

Disgusting. Al Jazeera and RN both infuriate me. Both have such an obvious agenda. But all of the hipsters and anti-government people I know like to watch them.

The ironic thing: Both RN and AJ are owned by governments (governments that, regardless of what you think of America, are far more oppressive than America...).

And AJ and RN love to focus on stories that make America look horrible, and love to minimize stories that make extremists from certain backgrounds look horrible.

We are all Charlie. Anyone who does not realize the threat we face from after this attack where these people spit on the face of free speech is very naïve.

Though I have a lot of political differences with France, one thing I can greatly respect is there freedom of speech and art.
But, its ashamed they lack the 2nd amendment there, especially the way the country is going, I would want to be heavily armed if I lived there. Especially with their politically correct police that let endless amounts of criminals and extremists filter through...

Free speech is one of the greatest facets of the Western World. And, one that needs to be defended.

Here is one of the pics that offended them, ISIS beheading Muhammad while claiming he is an infidel.
Source Credit: (Picture and Cover design property of Charlie Hebdo, posted for education use only)

SanchoPanza
SanchoPanza
January 11th, 2015 at 6:27:06 PM permalink

Link doesn't work. I watch it. Its pretty fair and balanced.

The link does work if it is copied and pasted. The problem may be its lengthiness and how different computers work with more complicated entries.

At any rate, here are more of Jazeera's "fair and balanced" comments, all in their very own email messages, and all, we are told, to be taken as pure objective "news," and not the cherry-picked single most opinionated program on the television service:

"Hours later, U.S.-based correspondent Tom Ackerman sent an email quoting a paragraph from a January 7 blog post by Ross Douthat. The New York Times’ Douthat (film critic for National Review) argued that cartoons like the ones that drove the radical Islamists to murder must be published “because the murderers cannot be allowed for a single moment to think that their strategy can succeed.”

That precipitated an angry backlash from the network’s Qatar-based correspondents, revealing in the process a deep cultural rift at a network at times accused of overt anti-Western bias.

“I guess if you insult 1.5 billion people chances are one or two of them will kill you,” wrote Mohamed Vall Salem, who reported for Al Jazeera’s Arab-language channel before joining its English wing in 2006. “And I guess if you encourage people to go on insulting 1.5 billion people about their most sacred icons then you just want more killings because as I said in 1.5 billion there will remain some fools who don’t abide by the laws or know about free speech” [sic].

“What Charlie Hebdo did was not free speech it was an abuse of free speech in my opinion, go back to the cartoons and have a look at them!” Salem later wrote. “It’ snot [sic] about what the drawing said, it was about how they said it. I condemn those heinous killings, but I’M NOT CHARLIE.”

That prompted BBC alumna Jacky Rowland — now Al Jazeera English’s senior correspondent in Paris — to email a “polite reminder” to her colleague: “#journalismsinotacrime.”

But her response triggered a furious reaction from another of the network’s Arab correspondents. “First I condemn the brutal killing,” wrote Omar Al Saleh, a “roving reporter” currently on assignment in Yemen. “But I AM NOT CHARLIE.”
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
January 11th, 2015 at 6:29:11 PM permalink

Journalists are allergic to saying "black." I remember reading where some local news did one of those quick time fill international pieces at the end of the show about the first black female in South Africa to win some kind of beauty contest. They said she was "the first African-American to win." They say the switchboard lit up with people calling in to complain.

I wish I could find British athlete Kriss Akabusi's interview after winning a medal in the Atlanta Olympics. The interviewer didn't understand his dislike of the term 'African-American'. Kriss didn't give a monkey's if he was white, black or purple after winning a silver... just that he was a proud Brit... his skin colour didn't make any difference.

Wasn't there a US lady who was from white South African descent denied entry into an African-American beauty pageant once?
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
terapined
terapined
January 11th, 2015 at 7:31:51 PM permalink
Quote: Gandler

Free speech is one of the greatest facets of the Western World. And, one that needs to be defended.
We are all Charlie. Anyone who does not realize the threat we face from after this attack where these people spit on the face of free speech is very naïve.
Though I have a lot of political differences with France, one thing I can greatly respect is there freedom of speech and art.

Yes very noble yet in the same post below, quite the opposite reaction
Quote: Gandler

Disgusting. Al Jazeera and RN both infuriate me. Both have such an obvious agenda. But all of the hipsters and anti-government people I know like to watch them.
The ironic thing: Both RN and AJ are owned by governments (governments that, regardless of what you think of America, are far more oppressive than America...).
And AJ and RN love to focus on stories that make America look horrible, and love to minimize stories that make extremists from certain backgrounds look horrible.

Interesting the duality of the thoughts in 1 post after a reorginazation by me.

Another duality, you are a gambler that hates AP's.
You are a gambler that supports Harrahs taking down a teenage female and breaking the nose.
The duality of your thoughts fascinate me.
  • Jump to: