aceofspades
aceofspades
  • Threads: 366
September 15th, 2014 at 6:27:36 PM permalink
Apparently, a waitress who waited on Floyd "Money" Mayweather and his entourage (including Jaime Foxx) the day after his fight was not tipped by the Champ and decided to tell TMZ all about it
The bill was over $25k (of course, inflated prices of bottles of liquor) and was comped by the Hard Rock

TMZ info

Pics:

Ahigh
Ahigh
  • Threads: 90
September 15th, 2014 at 6:35:26 PM permalink
I don't know if it was Floyd or not, but I saw a guy who seemed to be associated with the fight event in one way or another hitting $1,500 hardway on hard six ($13,500 in pay) at the MGM last night. He had about $60,000 just in yellow chips (probably much more, when adding the bigger denominations but I didn't count) in the rail and the table had a few other players with a $100 minimum.

There was big action on all the craps tables (two tables with $25 minimum, two with $100 minimum and one with $50 minimums when I was there .. all mostly full.

Some of the WORST high limit bets I've seen. Multiple black chips on the don't pass, point set as 5 or 9, and the player moves all the money to the pass line!

The guy who won the $13,500 bet a hard four hopping the subsequent two rolls for $1,000 per roll.

I didn't see that guy tip anything either.
aahigh.com
FinsRule
FinsRule
  • Threads: 128
September 15th, 2014 at 6:44:35 PM permalink
How could you not know if it was Floyd or not? There's a picture of him in this thread. Was it him?
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
September 15th, 2014 at 6:47:11 PM permalink
deleted
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
September 15th, 2014 at 6:48:03 PM permalink
This sounds fabricated to me. Of course they include photos of her modelling a swimsuit

Also it says she was handling the entourage that had 150 people. Does that sound believable?.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 212
September 15th, 2014 at 7:20:03 PM permalink
Spoiled brats wanting 20% of $25,000 anyways. They aren't worth that if it were me. $5000 really just because some girl looks good, can't blame him.
I am a robot.
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
  • Threads: 32
September 15th, 2014 at 7:25:12 PM permalink
Quote: onenickelmiracle

Spoiled brats wanting 20% of $25,000 anyways. They aren't worth that if it were me. $5000 really just because some girl looks good, can't blame him.

I've never been to Rehab, but at a lot of these party pools, there is an 18% or 20% service charge already added to the bill if you get a cabana or day bed or something. This goes directly to the wait staff, bartender, etc.

If the service is particularly good I'll tip some over and above that, but I don't think that it should be expected.

Whether or not it's comped is irrelevant; I don't tip any better or worse on a comp than I would if I was paying out of pocket. (Although I do like the "service charges" since they get comped as well, whereas added tips generally don't)
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
September 15th, 2014 at 7:36:17 PM permalink
As a whole, black people are horrible tippers.
Never received a tip as a cab driver or when
I had the bar. This is well known in the biz and
you don't expect them to after awhile. In
the bar a few of my best customers were black,
they even ran monthly tabs, yet never tipped
a bartender a nickle in the 3 years I was there.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
September 15th, 2014 at 7:38:16 PM permalink
Keep your racist ramblings going, Bob! If not for them some people might believe some of the stuff you post...
aceofspades
aceofspades
September 15th, 2014 at 7:40:42 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

As a whole, black people are horrible tippers.
Never received a tip as a cab driver or when
I had the bar. This is well known in the biz and
you don't expect them to after awhile. In
the bar a few of my best customers were black,
they even ran monthly tabs, yet never tipped
a bartender a nickle in the 3 years I was there.

I was waiting for the not tipping plus the craps table being full during a fight weekend to bring out a "cultural argument".

And, before we all jump down Bob's throat, merely because something is a stereotype does not make it untrue

i.e. I am an attorney and an asshole

Click anywhere on the pic below for a link to the paper

AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
September 15th, 2014 at 7:44:32 PM permalink
Quote: aceofspades

And, before we all jump down Bob's throat, merely because something is a stereotype does not make it untrue

Is "racists are idiots" a stereotype?
aceofspades
aceofspades
September 15th, 2014 at 7:50:39 PM permalink
Quote: AxiomOfChoice

Is "racists are idiots" a stereotype?

You see, this is a problem with race in society today, any mention of differences between ethnic groups is viewed as racist rather than mere observation. It is really getting out of control.
I have white friends, black friends, asian friends, hispanic friends, etc. and we all live up to certain stereotypes within our cultures and we also come nowhere close to other stereotypes - we all discuss race and issues openly and frankly - if Americans were not conditioned that any mention of race is bad, there would be less of a racial problem

I am getting off of my soapbox and getting back to the actual topic of this thread
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
September 15th, 2014 at 7:53:58 PM permalink

You see, this is a problem with race in society today, any mention of differences between ethnic groups is viewed as racist rather than mere observation. It is really getting out of control.
I have white friends, black friends, asian friends, hispanic friends, etc. and we all live up to certain stereotypes within our cultures and we also come nowhere close to other stereotypes - we all discuss race and issues openly and frankly - if Americans were not conditioned that any mention of race is bad, there would be less of a racial problem

I am getting off of my soapbox and getting back to the actual topic of this thread

I accused no one of anything. I simply asked if it counted as a stereotype.

FWIW, from my observations, Bob is wrong, but that's not news.
aceofspades
aceofspades
September 15th, 2014 at 7:55:36 PM permalink
Deleted
soxfan
soxfan
  • Threads: 9
September 15th, 2014 at 8:00:36 PM permalink
Ah diversity, the gift that just keeps on giving! But, I do have to agree with the evenbob-spike, as years ago I waited tables to help pay my way through college and it was well known that black and jewish patrons were stingy, in the extreme. And, some of the other waiters would take pleasure in spitting into the food of those patrons to reward them for their stinginess, hey hey.
" Life is a well of joy; but where the rabble drinks too, all wells are poisoned!" Nietzsche
darkoz
darkoz
  • Threads: 297
September 15th, 2014 at 8:21:18 PM permalink
As a white guy who has dated black women almost exclusively my whole life, I can say that they just don't understand the basics of tipping (from what I have witnessed). They don't mind tipping, but they seem to think a flat tip is the correct norm.

My ex-fiancé once had a thousand dollar bedroom set delivered and installed in her house and when the movers were leaving, I reminded her to tip them for their work.

She replied, "Of course I'm going to tip them. You think I'm ungrateful or something."

I then watched as she walked over to the three delivery men and tipped them each a dollar.

I explained how this was worse than not tipping at all and how the whole percentage thing worked to which she replied, "WHAT? Give them a hundred and fifty bucks? F^%$ that, I got bills to pay, m----f---er!"
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
September 15th, 2014 at 8:29:34 PM permalink
Quote: darkoz

As a white guy who has dated black women almost exclusively my whole life, I can say that they just don't understand the basics of tipping (from what I have witnessed). They don't mind tipping, but they seem to think a flat tip is the correct norm.

My ex-fiancé once had a thousand dollar bedroom set delivered and installed in her house and when the movers were leaving, I reminded her to tip them for their work.

She replied, "Of course I'm going to tip them. You think I'm ungrateful or something."

I then watched as she walked over to the three delivery men and tipped them each a dollar.

I explained how this was worse than not tipping at all and how the whole percentage thing worked to which she replied, "WHAT? Give them a hundred and fifty bucks? F^%$ that, I got bills to pay, m----f---er!"

I don't think that you're supposed to tip a percentage of the total on an installation. That is crazy.

$1 is obviously cheap. I'd give them a $10 or a $20 each, depending on how long they were there for.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
September 15th, 2014 at 8:34:54 PM permalink

Just like all Muslims should not be stereotyped because there was a float in the NYC Muslim day parade of a hanging nun

You're probably displaying your ignorance as well (at the very least)

Look closer

The dress is equivalent to muslim attire for a woman.
The dress is the Egyptian flag.

That said, I'm not sure what it is protesting or representing. Muslim brothers being hanged. Perhaps democracy being hanged symbolically. Something to do with the military takeover?
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
teddys
teddys
  • Threads: 150
September 15th, 2014 at 8:38:13 PM permalink
Quote: Ahigh

Some of the WORST high limit bets I've seen. Multiple black chips on the don't pass, point set as 5 or 9, and the player moves all the money to the pass line!

That's got to be the most hilarious/worst craps bet I've ever seen.
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
aceofspades
aceofspades
September 15th, 2014 at 8:39:13 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Just like all Muslims should not be stereotyped because there was a float in the NYC Muslim day parade of a hanging nun

You're probably displaying your ignorance as well (at the very least)

Look closer

The dress is equivalent to muslim attire for a woman.
The dress is the Egyptian flag.

That said, I'm not sure what it is protesting or representing. Muslim brothers being hanged. Perhaps democracy being hanged symbolically. Something to do with the military takeover?

Firstly, maybe you are displaying your ignorance in assuming that I was stating that all Muslims are violent. Never assume what someone is meaning by posting - I have many Muslim friends who are all normal American people, living their lives, going to work, trying to make it one day to the next.
So, please, next time, don't assume anything about me

Secondly, I removed the photo before you replied as it could have been a protest of coptic christian being persecuted in egypt

However, coupled with the jihad "black flags" - unlikely
petroglyph
petroglyph
  • Threads: 19
September 15th, 2014 at 9:16:21 PM permalink
I watched the parade aos, and it just looked like a "false flag Op" to me. At least the part with the chariot and the goons in front dressed in black with ear coms. in their ears. I would like to know the country of origin on those fella's.

The nun, she looked a bit like Sally Fields in the "Flying Nun".

I would have laughed so hard at that parade had I been there they probably would have had to give me oxygen. I never knew the MB's could be so funny, or maybe the parade is just to mock them?

If the "real MB" had seen this they would probably go out there and get all the fat guys to go away, they present an over carb consuming image for the boys in the hood.

Might have had more effect if they had made the women tow the chariot?
tringlomane
tringlomane
  • Threads: 8
September 15th, 2014 at 9:47:22 PM permalink

LOL...Yeah, just stiff em at that point. I fight with my g/f's mom over this crap all the time. She worked a "tipping job" last in the early 80s, and she tends to think that similar dollar amounts are acceptable today, ignoring percentages... If we try to tip more than $5 on a $40 bill for good service she'll open her mouth...grrr...

Without her involved, I try to average 20% usually.
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
September 15th, 2014 at 10:02:23 PM permalink
Quote: tringlomane

LOL...Yeah, just stiff em at that point. I fight with my g/f's mom over this crap all the time. She worked a "tipping job" last in the early 80s, and she tends to think that similar dollar amounts are acceptable today, ignoring percentages... If we try to tip more than $5 on a $40 bill for good service she'll open her mouth...grrr...

I agree with you on food, but on delivery and installation? If you buy $10k worth of furniture (not hard to do) are you going to give the delivery guy $2k?
Ahigh
Ahigh
September 15th, 2014 at 10:04:07 PM permalink
Quote: FinsRule

How could you not know if it was Floyd or not? There's a picture of him in this thread. Was it him?

There's very little chance it was him or someone would have made mention of it. I was there long enough that I would have overheard someone say something. I didn't even watch this guy play long enough, though, to know if it was him or not. Most people were standing far away from the table. I walked up and was thinking about playing at the table, but when I saw his bet denominations and choices, I decided against it. The hard six hit that paid $13,500 was the first roll I watched. His point was four, and he was hopping the hard four for $1,000. He threw in a yellow and they set it up as two purples. I was confused why they set it up as two purples on the bet (hops are not marked there at all and they put it under the number four on the all-tall/all-small bet).

I didn't want to be involved in either the wins or the losses with those sorts of bets going on. Stupid and big bets are a recipe for somebody getting pissed off and blaming something on me, so I walked after watching three rolls.

I did look at the rail to see about three stacks worth of yellows and didn't study any further than that, and walked over to the $50 table to play.

But yeah, it probably wasn't Floyd or somebody would have said something that I would have overheard.
aahigh.com
darkoz
darkoz
September 15th, 2014 at 10:53:06 PM permalink

I agree with you on food, but on delivery and installation? If you buy $10k worth of furniture (not hard to do) are you going to give the delivery guy $2k?

But the dinner in the OP was for 25K. You're saying you would tip a waitress five thousand dollars for one meal but you wouldn't tip the guys who installed your home theater motion simulator sofa that you're going to sit in and enjoy blockbuster films on for the next five years 20%?
petroglyph
petroglyph
  • Threads: 19
September 15th, 2014 at 11:00:03 PM permalink
Quote: tringlomane

I feel your pain. There must be a special hell for mother in laws.

I think it wise for all single guys to head the advice, it's genetic with these people. When the daughter gets the age of the mother, more often than not they are very similar. So it's always good to get to know the mil first before signing anything.

Why couldn't I find just one without an opinion, or at least wait for me to ask for it?
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
September 15th, 2014 at 11:01:05 PM permalink

But the dinner in the OP was for 25K. You're saying you would tip a waitress five thousand dollars for one meal but you wouldn't tip the guys who installed your home theater motion simulator sofa that you're going to sit in and enjoy blockbuster films on for the next five years 20%?

Of course I would not tip the waitress $5k. I would also not spend $25k at a cabana.

20% for something that large is crazy. You can't compare it to a single meal. Home furniture is something that you might save for months or years for. If you tip the guy who hauls it over 20% of its value for half an hour's work, he is making an order of magnitude more money than you do. It's completely insane.

If you buy a new car and the dealership delivers it to you, are you going to tip the guy 20% of the value of the car? It just doesn't make any sense.
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
  • Threads: 30
September 15th, 2014 at 11:23:22 PM permalink
Don't know about this incident, however Floyd has a fine reputation around Vegas from what I can gather. Dealers and such have told me he's cool and a good tipper. Played with a guy who said he is friends with one of Floyd's body guards and Floyd is paying for the dude's daughter to go to private school. Never heard a bad thing about him, except on the news, of course.

He's kind of the opposite of Jordan, who is worshiped in the media, while nobody who has had to deal with him in real life has anything positive to report.

There are proportionately more bad/non tipping blacks. I've heard that thing with the flat tipping several times too. "If the waiter is nice, I'll give them $5." When I worked at Hollywood Park (my job was not for tips) I heard a lot of, "If I lose, the dealer's not going to tip me!" There's a billion things about it on google, but I found this Ebony article interesting. There were even some good comments.

http://www.ebony.com/news-views/are-black-people-really-bad-tippers-981#axzz3DSMTnT3y
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
  • Threads: 164
September 15th, 2014 at 11:25:28 PM permalink
On an average Black people tip less. Obviously not all of them. I cant believe not one black person ever tipped Bob in his cab and Bar-tending career.

NVM, actually I can believe it, since it's Bob.

Even the black people were laughing at his roulette system.
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
darkoz
darkoz
September 15th, 2014 at 11:29:38 PM permalink

Of course I would not tip the waitress $5k. I would also not spend $25k at a cabana.

20% for something that large is crazy. You can't compare it to a single meal. Home furniture is something that you might save for months or years for. If you tip the guy who hauls it over 20% of its value for half an hour's work, he is making an order of magnitude more money than you do. It's completely insane.

If you buy a new car and the dealership delivers it to you, are you going to tip the guy 20% of the value of the car? It just doesn't make any sense.

Well, I actually agree with you on this one.

Once you get into a tipping situation that is on a large order of magnitude, it makes no sense to use the percentage situation. I'm very rarely in a situation like that because I'm generally frugal but if I was going to need to make that decision, I would base it on how often I expected to receive repeat service.

I would be more likely to tip an installer a very generous tip if I expected to shop from their store regular and were going to have several more deliveries. Then the expectation of a return in value for the tip (attention to detail on their next installation) warrants it.

On the other hand, if I was never going to see them again, the reward for their services would have limited value and I would tip a highly priced hourly wage like a hundred bucks perhaps rather than a percentage of the order.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
September 16th, 2014 at 12:20:28 AM permalink
Gentlemen.

Mask your effing swears.

Thank you.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
EvenBob
EvenBob
September 16th, 2014 at 12:23:40 AM permalink

Thanks, Ace. As I said, and the article says,
it's well known in the tipping industry. It
has nothing to do with racism, it's just a
fact of life. I had lots of black drivers and
they didn't get tipped by black riders either.

Here's another fact, Amway distributors are
also terrible tippers. I live 10 miles from Amway,
this is Amway's town. When they have the
annual convention here, waitresses all over
downtown go on vacay, because Amway
people do not tip. That can't be considered
racist, Amway is all races. Very confusing.
EvenBob
EvenBob
September 16th, 2014 at 12:36:09 AM permalink
Quote: AxelWolf

I cant believe not one black person ever tipped Bob in his cab and Bar-tending career..

It's not part of their culture, not hard to understand
at all. One thing you learn when you deal with black
people on a daily basis, we are different from them
culturally, and they are different from us. TV and
movies like to make it look like we are all the same,
and that's BS. I liked most of the black guys who
worked at the cab co, and they liked me. But our
differences far outweighed what we had in common.
Ahigh
Ahigh
September 16th, 2014 at 12:59:43 AM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

It's not part of their culture, not hard to understand
at all. One thing you learn when you deal with black
people on a daily basis, we are different from them
culturally, and they are different from us. TV and
movies like to make it look like we are all the same,
and that's BS. I liked most of the black guys who
worked at the cab co, and they liked me. But our
differences far outweighed what we had in common.

You sound really old.

My grand-daddy was a racist.

He asked me one time when I was telling him about black people that I went to college with (this was in 1989), "do you find that the black people in your classes are not as smart as the white people?"

I responded to him by saying, "I find that the black people in school are, on average, more intelligent because they had to overcome more obstacles in order to get where they are."

My grandmother was already yelling at my grand-daddy for saying such a thing at all.

I thought the whole thing was funny and I was more than happy to shed some light on his views from someone who was 45 years older than me.

I just saw my grandmother. She is still alive and is living in a home, but her mind is sharp as a tack. She is 90 years old now.

I loved my grand-daddy. But yeah, he was old. Sometimes those old people see things a little bit different than us that grew up with different laws in place to allow black people to be treated like humans too.

Come to think of it, MrV seems really old too.
aahigh.com
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
  • Threads: 30
September 16th, 2014 at 2:10:56 AM permalink
Nobody is saying black people are more often bad tippers because of the shape of their skulls.

Someone posted a link to a study backing up the claim.

I posted a link to an article about the subject on Ebony. Read through the comments and you'll find a ton of black people weighing in on the subject with experience that backs up the claims of the black author. You'll find some spouting the standard lines, "I only tip for GOOD service," "I don't tip my mechanic" "If they don't like it they should get a different job" blah, blah, blah. You'll only find a tiny sliver of people trying to argue that it's not true.

Just google "black people tipping." The results are overwhelming, especially as reported by servers of all races.
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
September 16th, 2014 at 6:19:47 AM permalink
$1,500 pays $14,500? This is at MGM? Hard 6 n 8?

From my observation and experience, black people don't tend to tip. They also tend to do sh** like bet on the don't pass, then after the point is established, say "damn! I like the 10 (or 9 or 4), he finna hit, he's a field shooter here!" take it off the don't pass and put it on the line (put bet). And drop a stack in the field, of course, at the last second while the dice are in the air. When they get change, ask for $100 in all red, and proceed to bet $40-60 in the field at a time. When they're given green (because that's the amount theyre betting), they'll ask for red, instead of just betting the greens. And they think people don't like them because of their skin color. It's how they act and what they do -- not how they look.
ams288
ams288
  • Threads: 22
September 16th, 2014 at 6:41:48 AM permalink
Lisa Lampanelli had a joke:

"If you buy a canoe, paint it black - cause that thing'll NEVER tip!"
Ding Dong the Witch is Dead
aceofspades
aceofspades
September 16th, 2014 at 7:23:38 AM permalink

You sound really old.

He asked me one time when I was telling him about black people that I went to college with (this was in 1989), "do you find that the black people in your classes are not as smart as the white people?"

I responded to him by saying, "I find that the black people in school are, on average, more intelligent because they had to overcome more obstacles in order to get where they are."

My grandmother was already yelling at my grand-daddy for saying such a thing at all.

I thought the whole thing was funny and I was more than happy to shed some light on his views from someone who was 45 years older than me.

I just saw my grandmother. She is still alive and is living in a home, but her mind is sharp as a tack. She is 90 years old now.

I loved my grand-daddy. But yeah, he was old. Sometimes those old people see things a little bit different than us that grew up with different laws in place to allow black people to be treated like humans too.

I do not see anything Bob has said here as being racist. He is reporting observations from his own life experiences. Society is at the "if you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say it" point - everyone thinks any comment by a white person about any other race is racist — this foolishness has got to stop.
1BB
1BB
  • Threads: 18
September 16th, 2014 at 8:01:07 AM permalink
Quote: Ibeatyouraces

Just another whiney female who thinks she's entitled.

Another opportunist riding the wave of the McCoy incident. She certainly didn't waste any time. Maybe she's hoping Charlie Sheen will come to her rescue like he did for Rob the waiter. I found Ms. Nguyen's Twitter and oddly enough there is no mention of Mayweather. Who knows what she's up to?

Celebrities may be fair game for the media but I can't believe that a casino or any other business would condone or tolerate what this woman did. She deserves whatever she gets. I suggest she be offered a job as a maid.
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
djatc
djatc
  • Threads: 83
September 16th, 2014 at 8:02:38 AM permalink
I'll have to start stiffing waitresses to balance out the order of things, and it's all Charlie Sheen's fault.
"Man Babes" #AxelFabulous
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
September 16th, 2014 at 8:29:32 AM permalink

You sound really old.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"In my youth, I traveled much, and I observed in different countries, that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer."

--Benjamin Franklin
"What, me worry?"
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
September 16th, 2014 at 9:31:29 AM permalink
deleted
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
Ahigh
Ahigh
September 16th, 2014 at 10:24:21 AM permalink
Quote: RS

Fat fingers. My bad. I edited to fix.
aahigh.com
Ahigh
Ahigh
September 16th, 2014 at 10:29:18 AM permalink

I do not see anything Bob has said here as being racist. He is reporting observations from his own life experiences. Society is at the "if you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say it" point - everyone thinks any comment by a white person about any other race is racist — this foolishness has got to stop.

I didn't say he was racist. I said he sounded old. I said my grand-daddy was racist. He is passed on, but if he were still around, I think he'd be older than EB.

There no doubt that older generations still carry some of the outdated and obviously false beliefs that go along with how black people were treated in the early 1900's.
aahigh.com
SGIT
SGIT
  • Threads: 5
September 16th, 2014 at 10:35:24 AM permalink
Quote: RS

From my observation and experience, black people don't tend to tip. They also tend to do sh** like bet on the don't pass, then after the point is established, say "damn! I like the 10 (or 9 or 4), he finna hit, he's a field shooter here!" take it off the don't pass and put it on the line (put bet). And drop a stack in the field, of course, at the last second while the dice are in the air. When they get change, ask for $100 in all red, and proceed to bet $40-60 in the field at a time. When they're given green (because that's the amount theyre betting), they'll ask for red, instead of just betting the greens. And they think people don't like them because of their skin color. It's how they act and what they do -- not how they look.

Lol.... see this every night at work. You also forgot to mention making $20 come bets and then looking at me like I have two heads when I ask if they want odds after it goes to the 8 ("nah man...DAT odds stuff is a sucker bet for the house"), then throw $50 into the field
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
September 16th, 2014 at 10:54:19 AM permalink

No, what he reported was his selective memory caused by confirmation bias of his pre-conceived racist stereotypes. This can cause you to believe all sorts of nonsense. I'm sure that every time he wins a roulette bet it re-enforces his view that he is beating the game, too.
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
  • Threads: 164
September 16th, 2014 at 10:59:59 AM permalink

I do not see anything Bob has said here as being racist.

It's not what Bod said that makes him a racist. You have to wonder why he felt the need to say it. Bob wanted us all to Black people don't tip.
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
aceofspades
aceofspades
September 16th, 2014 at 11:00:30 AM permalink

No, what he reported was his selective memory caused by confirmation bias of his pre-conceived racist stereotypes. This can cause you to believe all sorts of nonsense. I'm sure that every time he wins a roulette bet it re-enforces his view that he is beating the game, too.

How do you know…?

People on this board are quick to call out others for what they say without having any empirical evidence to back it up…

Everything on here could be 100% true or 100% false, but, unless we are there to witness every single occurrence, it is impossible to tell which one it is
RonC
RonC
  • Threads: 40
September 16th, 2014 at 11:03:36 AM permalink
EB is old (he has said so) but he has experiences that are valid--I've never been a bartender or cabbie; how would I know what their experiences with tippers has been over the years?

It doesn't take someone old to read the report (from this century, not last), the Ebony articles, or other things that show there are some obvious cultural differences between different folks. Tipping, from what I have read and been told by servers that I know, is one of them. There is nothing racist or anything of the sort in saying that; you can disprove the case that has been presented (the report, Ebony, etc.) but just calling it "racist" is akin to trying to win the argument with no information.

As to EB and roulette, I sure wish he would share his system for winning with us...
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
September 16th, 2014 at 11:04:55 AM permalink
Quote: AxelWolf

It's not what Bod said that makes him a racist. You have to wonder why he felt the need to say it. Bob wanted us all to Black people don't tip.

Just like he felt the need to point out that all the stealing maids were black when he talked about the tipping maids thread.
  • Jump to: