Administrator
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 75
Thanks for this post from:
onenickelmiracle
April 22nd, 2017 at 4:28:24 PM permalink
Quote: Mission146

What is it called, please?

If you're going to grind your own, no matter what brand you buy, you want a burr grinder rather than a thing with blades. You'll pay more, but it will do a much better job and last a lot longer. Burr grinders also adjust the granule size more precisely, and to a uniform size.

The only bad thing about combo jobs is, it's usually the heating element that wears out first on a drip coffeemaker. So you've lost all that counterspace and spent the extra money on the combo job for something that might last a year in daily use. YMMV.
"If the house lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game."
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 65
April 22nd, 2017 at 4:32:45 PM permalink
Thanks BBB, that is definitely an issue with types. I don't know the difference between columbian, french, and regular.

If it helps in directing me, I use slightly less tHan recommended so apparently I like it weaker. I also can't stand it black and since I am on a diet I use sweet n low but only 1 pack for a mug.
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 75
April 22nd, 2017 at 4:54:06 PM permalink
I think you just haven't found the right roast is all. Try the Colombian, slightly less than the directions say, without sugar, 3 days running. I think you might get past using sweeteners. Colombian is a medium roast, not strong (dark), and tends to be less bitter than most.

I'm convinced that artificial sweeteners used long term are poison that causes neurological damage anyway, so I guess I'd rather see you use a teaspoon of real sugar at 16 calories. But I'm not your mother, either. Lol.
"If the house lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game."
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 149
April 22nd, 2017 at 5:45:49 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

Starbucks is a waste of money IMO. It's not significantly better than home brew, and I don't like their signature beans at all.

Out of the 7 Starbucks within driving distance,, only one has this Clover.

$11k
https://www.chowhound.com/food-news/54246/you-cant-afford-this-coffee-maker/

Even fresh beans in it, and its really smooth taste aren't my favorite though. It actually tastes tooooo smooth to me. I've yet to try all their brands though.
Being a human cannonball is more than a job. It's a career.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 402
April 22nd, 2017 at 6:41:18 PM permalink
I buy Morton course kosher sea salt
because it has the best taste and you
it never clumps and you can use more
of it and get less salt taste. I've have
off brand salt that was awful.

I did a year long paper towel study
and found Brawny Pick a Size
towels in the 8 pack at Walmart
were the best towel for the money.
They are right up there in quality
with Bounty and are much cheaper
at $1.06 a roll for the jumbo size.
Viva always wins at Consumer Reports
but their rolls are small, not a good
bargain.

Toilet paper, Charmin, the expensive
Charmin, makes you feel guilty for
using something so soft and luxurious
for, well, what you're using it for. I
think about the people in Eastern
Europe who can see tree bark in their
TP and feel even more guilty.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 62
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 62
Thanks for this post from:
Mission146
April 22nd, 2017 at 9:44:15 PM permalink
Quote: Mission146

What is it called, please?

I don't know if this is the exact model but i know it is a Cuisinart.

https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-DGB-650BC-Thermal-Automatic-Coffeemaker/dp/B001G8Y2WW
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 116
April 22nd, 2017 at 10:20:13 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

If you're going to grind your own, no matter what brand you buy, you want a burr grinder rather than a thing with blades. You'll pay more, but it will do a much better job and last a lot longer. Burr grinders also adjust the granule size more precisely, and to a uniform size.

The only bad thing about combo jobs is, it's usually the heating element that wears out first on a drip coffeemaker. So you've lost all that counterspace and spent the extra money on the combo job for something that might last a year in daily use. YMMV.

It's always the heating element that goes with coffee makers. So irritating. Even if you pay more it'll last longer, but the yearly cost won't change. That's what blows my mind.
Looks like sh!t just got imaginary!
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 77
April 23rd, 2017 at 1:06:07 AM permalink
Quote: GWAE

Question for coffee drinkers. What type of home brewed do you like best. I just started drinking a cup every morning. I have been drinking Folgers classic. Has anyone had any home brewed ones they prefer?

Last year I started making coffee by hand without a coffeemaker. It's way better. IMO it makes a bigger impact than changing the brand. Most people don't routinely clean their coffeemakers and even if they do they don't get all the residue out which leaves a bitter taste. I pour hot water, close to but not boiling, over a strainer which has a coffee filter over it and directly into a cup. It's a lot more work and demands your attention but if you have the time and you love coffee it's worth it. It comes out very strong and very fresh.
genius has its limitations. but stupidity is boundless.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 116
April 23rd, 2017 at 1:11:28 AM permalink
Everyone used to use old fashioned percolators and people were happy. I dont even know if places even carry them now.
Looks like sh!t just got imaginary!

• Jump to: