Thread Rating:

GWAE
GWAE
Joined: Sep 20, 2013
  • Threads: 66
  • Posts: 6135
April 22nd, 2017 at 2:15:59 PM permalink
Question for coffee drinkers. What type of home brewed do you like best. I just started drinking a cup every morning. I have been drinking Folgers classic. Has anyone had any home brewed ones they prefer?
MrV
MrV
Joined: Feb 13, 2010
  • Threads: 268
  • Posts: 5500
April 22nd, 2017 at 2:26:34 PM permalink
Seattle's Best.
"What, me worry?"
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
Joined: Oct 10, 2012
  • Threads: 114
  • Posts: 12531
April 22nd, 2017 at 2:36:50 PM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

Yeah, but when you don't eat fast food but 2 or 3 times a year, they kind of look at you funny when you ask for one hamburger and two hundred packets of salt!! :D

Many of the places in vegas have a condiment station.
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
Mission146
Administrator
Mission146
Joined: May 15, 2012
  • Threads: 99
  • Posts: 9084
April 22nd, 2017 at 2:47:16 PM permalink
Quote: GWAE

Question for coffee drinkers. What type of home brewed do you like best. I just started drinking a cup every morning. I have been drinking Folgers classic. Has anyone had any home brewed ones they prefer?



Depends on whether or not it is prepackaged, if so, Gevalia. If I can include any type of coffee, probably just the fresh beans that you can use the grinder at the store to chop up.
Vultures can't be choosers.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
Joined: Oct 19, 2009
  • Threads: 211
  • Posts: 10889
April 22nd, 2017 at 2:54:36 PM permalink
I prefer the individual packets. You drop them in and its premeasured then the next day you use that packet as a dish scrubber.

I'm really in no shape in the mornings to do any mixing and measuring.
DRich
DRich
Joined: Jul 6, 2012
  • Threads: 63
  • Posts: 3201
April 22nd, 2017 at 3:12:56 PM permalink
Quote: Mission146

Depends on whether or not it is prepackaged, if so, Gevalia. If I can include any type of coffee, probably just the fresh beans that you can use the grinder at the store to chop up.



My wife has a pretty cool coffee maker that has a hopper for the beans. When you start it it just grinds enough beans for that pot and drops the grinds right into the filter. Completely autonomous other than hitting the start button.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
Joined: Jan 26, 2012
  • Threads: 124
  • Posts: 4702
April 22nd, 2017 at 3:56:14 PM permalink
We've been drinking Maxwell House Master Blend for years. I can drink any kind of coffee, don't really care that much. Maxwell house is preferred, but can be just as happy with Aldi coffee or WalMart Great Value donut shop coffee. I've never really liked Folgers myself, so our preferences might be opposite.
Looks like sh!t just got imaginary!
GWAE
GWAE
Joined: Sep 20, 2013
  • Threads: 66
  • Posts: 6135
April 22nd, 2017 at 3:59:14 PM permalink
This question came from a poker game today. I had coffee from the waitress and thought it was pretty good. Another player went and got starbucks. Thst prompted a convo about coffee and he said the casino uses Folgers premium but thought starbucks was worth the $4. While I would never pay $4 a day for coffee I am wondering if there really is a difference between folgers, folgers premium, maxwell house, and the like. Then I see mcd has home coffee and starbucks, Seattle best, plus all the ones you can buy as beans and grind them yourself. Of course I could experiment but it took my 6 or 7 weeks to go through the small can I had when only drinking 1 cup a day.
Mission146
Administrator
Mission146
Joined: May 15, 2012
  • Threads: 99
  • Posts: 9084
April 22nd, 2017 at 4:09:03 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

My wife has a pretty cool coffee maker that has a hopper for the beans. When you start it it just grinds enough beans for that pot and drops the grinds right into the filter. Completely autonomous other than hitting the start button.



What is it called, please?
Vultures can't be choosers.
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
Joined: May 21, 2013
  • Threads: 76
  • Posts: 8973
April 22nd, 2017 at 4:21:02 PM permalink
Quote: GWAE

This question came from a poker game today. I had coffee from the waitress and thought it was pretty good. Another player went and got starbucks. Thst prompted a convo about coffee and he said the casino uses Folgers premium but thought starbucks was worth the $4. While I would never pay $4 a day for coffee I am wondering if there really is a difference between folgers, folgers premium, maxwell house, and the like. Then I see mcd has home coffee and starbucks, Seattle best, plus all the ones you can buy as beans and grind them yourself. Of course I could experiment but it took my 6 or 7 weeks to go through the small can I had when only drinking 1 cup a day.



I highly recommend you get Colombian Roast no matter whose brand you buy. Next would be French Roast. The aroma of Colombian really can't be beat.

That said, I'm very fond of Eight o clock brand, followed by chock full of nuts for inexpensive coffees. I enjoy grinding my own beans when I am at home.

Starbucks is a waste of money IMO. It's not significantly better than home brew, and I don't like their signature beans at all.

If you want to spend money on great coffee, go to my friends' site mokulelefarms.com . They grow and hand pick 100% kona on the Big Island and ship it Priority Mail. Fantastic, cheaper than Starbucks by the cup, custom roasted to your liking. But before you buy from them, you should figure out what roast you prefer. She was an airline pilot, he was a PhD in pharma, they retired there and do coffee, honey, macadamia nuts, and chocolate, all produced on their hillside farm. Sorry for the commercial, but since people are talking brands, I thought I'd put in a good word.
"If the house lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game."

  • Jump to: