Thread Rating:

odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
July 16th, 2014 at 5:59:04 AM permalink
Quote: Buzzard

I always get the last words in any fight with Josie. YES DEAR

Good! I'll remember this one, thanks!
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
July 16th, 2014 at 6:05:43 AM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

It's possible my generation is the last where nearly everyone learned to cook. But I don't think it died out in one or two generations; lots out there who CAN, and even enjoy it. But it's become really easy now to have incredibly good food pre-made, right along with incredibly bad (but great-tasting) complex food. So I'm sure it's changing still.

Nearly all women you mean? Otherwise it would mean you never met the men in my family in the older generations. These guys took it on faith that they would never have to do what they defined as 'women's work'. They could be monumentally ignorant about such as a result.

It sometimes was quite comical. For example, at one point when my dad was on his own for a bit, he complained to me about the cheap wire hangers in the closet, he couldn't understand why Mom [deceased] could ever waste her money on such cheap items. He had no concept they came from the cleaners.

An older brother is pretty bad himself when it comes to cooking. He nearly never had to do any of it, and the old joke about not knowing how to boil water pretty much applies.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
July 16th, 2014 at 6:30:40 AM permalink
Quote: MrWarmth

I'm not saying I could do it under pressure like those contestants, but if I had enough time (a couple of weeks, maybe), I could definitely figure it out without formal training. After all, that's how it was first created!

I've never made souffle, or cake even, but it might not be that difficult to do. This, mind you, from someone who failed to mix tortilla flour with water to make tortillas ;)

The trick is to have the right equipment and use the right technique. Cooking, as I told the good father elsewhere, is mostly preparation (chopping, mixing, grating, etc). Sometimes lacking a single piece of equipment or utensil renders the whole enterprise impossible, like not having a tortilla press. Maybe I should try to bake a cake next weekend, or even a souffle, if I can find one that isn't loaded with butter and eggs.

My dessert goal, though, is flan.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
July 16th, 2014 at 8:16:04 AM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

An older brother is pretty bad himself when it comes to cooking. He nearly never had to do any of it, and the old joke about not knowing how to boil water pretty much applies.

My wife still laughs at me because when we were dating I agreed to make her dinner one night. I was visiting her in San Diego, while she was at work she texted me and said she wanted grilled cheese sandwiches for dinner. I had no idea how to make one and actually had to Google it.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
July 16th, 2014 at 8:19:39 AM permalink
My favorite TV show used to be "How To Boil Water" an introductory Cooking Channel show which unfortunately aired far too early in the morning and featured this faux bimbo who supposedly had to be shown simple things.

Yachtsmen have to learn how long things keep and what can be stored in close proximity to other items and what can not be. They have to know how to supplement items and the like.

It only takes a husband one time to think that cooking is easy. One time to forget to lock down the mixing bowl before turning the mixer on and suddenly the walls, floor and ceiling have chocolate cake all over them.

Home Ec was taught in my school, girls only of course, but it was all pancake mix and cake mix and prepared this and that.
Nareed
Nareed
July 16th, 2014 at 8:56:06 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

I was visiting her in San Diego, while she was at work she texted me and said she wanted grilled cheese sandwiches for dinner. I had no idea how to make one and actually had to Google it.

I'm guessing bread, butter/margarine and American kind-of-cheese.

Long ago we had a sandwich maker (I guess that's what it's called). The thing about it was it pressed the bread slices tight along the edges. I'd put two slices of ham, one of near-cheese and some onions and pressed the whole thing. The result was pretty good, but I missed having mustard inside (I tried it. It did not end well). The downside was having to clean the appliance afterwards, too.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
July 16th, 2014 at 9:50:45 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

she wanted grilled cheese sandwiches for dinner.

Wow. How considerate of her to request something so simple for you. No wonder you married her!
DrawingDead
DrawingDead
  • Threads: 9
July 16th, 2014 at 11:34:51 AM permalink
I guess it really depends on who you are and where you're from. My late stepmother was not an honors graduate of the Babs School of Home Economics. Visiting them one Thanksgiving about 25 years ago she got uncharacteristically ambitious for the event, deciding she would actually cook instead of doing the holiday at the same nice restaurant as on other holidays. We were not allowed to enter the kitchen side of the house while the (experimental) production of the holiday feast was underway. Unfortunately, the directions did not specifically say to remove the packaging material from the poor bird & other stuff. We got the fire put out without too much trouble, and after clearing the house enough to come back inside we settled in to their usual dinner of steak, grilled by Dad.
Suck dope, watch TV, make up stuff, be somebody on the internet.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 209
July 16th, 2014 at 2:21:22 PM permalink
I'm not used to having TVs die on me so quick. Had a small RCA which died after a year. Now a Sanyo which is having picture problems after 2 years.

Both Walmart purchases. I used to TVs lasting much longer.

What kind of chicanery involves electronics designed to last barely out of warranty? No, didn't buy any extended warranties.

Bah humbug.

Plus the freakin' things just stay in one place. Not like they are getting bounced around.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
Nareed
Nareed
July 16th, 2014 at 3:10:36 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

I'm not used to having TVs die on me so quick. Had a small RCA which died after a year. Now a Sanyo which is having picture problems after 2 years.

I'd no idea those brands still existed!

In 2009 I bought my first HD TV, a 36" Samsung. after a little over a year it stopped working. I took a chance and brought it to an "authorized" service place. They told me what it had wrong but I forget what it was. A day and about $40 later it worked again. It's been working perfectly well ever since.

The funny thing is they told me it shouldn't fail again. I thought to myself "Shoudl it have failed at all to begin with?"
Lemieux66
Lemieux66
  • Threads: 24
July 16th, 2014 at 5:31:16 PM permalink
A guy at my job got his girlfriend a dog for her birthday(she also works at my job). She apparently loves it, but her feelings are wrong. They don't live together and the dog is obviously going to her place AND she has a roommate. So she has to buy all the food and get her stuff chewed on initially. She's also pretty and he's out of shape which makes things worse.
10 eyes for an eye. 10 teeth for a tooth. 10 bucks for a buck?! Hit the bad guys where it hurts the most: the face and the wallet.
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
  • Threads: 32
July 16th, 2014 at 5:33:48 PM permalink
Quote: Lemieux66

A guy at my job got his girlfriend a dog for her birthday(she also works at my job). She apparently loves it, but her feelings are wrong. They don't live together and the dog is obviously going to her place AND she has a roommate. So she has to buy all the food and get her stuff chewed on initially. She's also pretty and he's out of shape which makes things worse.

"Her feelings are wrong"... lol
Lemieux66
Lemieux66
July 16th, 2014 at 5:34:56 PM permalink
Quote: AxiomOfChoice

In an EV sense lol
10 eyes for an eye. 10 teeth for a tooth. 10 bucks for a buck?! Hit the bad guys where it hurts the most: the face and the wallet.
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
July 16th, 2014 at 5:51:51 PM permalink

lmao, that is great. I do agree that her feelings are wrong.

both my dogs are 12 and I am ready for their funeral. I will be sad, but they are more work than my newborn
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
Lemieux66
Lemieux66
July 16th, 2014 at 5:57:24 PM permalink
Quote: GWAE

both my dogs are 12 and I am ready for their funeral. I will be sad, but they are more work than my newborn

I love animals(particularly English bulldogs and penguins) but the idea of owning a pet doesn't appeal to me. Too much money. Food, toys, them chewing your stuff potentially, vet bills that really are just squeezing a little bit more time etc. I don't need pet love. I just want woman love and MONEY!
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
July 16th, 2014 at 6:04:44 PM permalink

If you have kids (intentionally), you don't get to comment on the EV of other peoples' life decisions, IMO.

Love kids or hate them, you will probably never make a more expensive decision in your life.
GWAE
GWAE
July 16th, 2014 at 6:25:46 PM permalink

If you have kids (intentionally), you don't get to comment on the EV of other peoples' life decisions, IMO.

Love kids or hate them, you will probably never make a more expensive decision in your life.

I have been debating the +/- EV of the situation. I really never wanted kids but I love my wife. If we didn't have kids then we would probably not be together. Kids may be -ev but the relationship is +ev. I am just not sure which one is the greater number.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
Lemieux66
Lemieux66
July 16th, 2014 at 7:38:30 PM permalink

I have been debating the +/- EV of the situation. I really never wanted kids but I love my wife. If we didn't have kids then we would probably not be together. Kids may be -ev but the relationship is +ev. I am just not sure which one is the greater number.

There's a possibility that while kids might be -EV now they can be +EV way down the line. You can potentially live with them, they can help you get around etc. But you MUST play the hand correctly!
GWAE
GWAE
July 16th, 2014 at 7:41:10 PM permalink

There's a possibility that while kids might be -EV now they can be +EV way down the line. You can potentially live with them, they can help you get around etc. But you MUST play the hand correctly!

That is very true. Since my 2.5 year old started crawling I have been making him use his left and right arm. He is going to be 3 in a few months and can throw well with both left and right. He also bats left handed. Hopefully his coordination is good and I just may have a switch pitching, power lefty. cha ching
Lemieux66
Lemieux66
July 16th, 2014 at 7:53:12 PM permalink

That is very true. Since my 2.5 year old started crawling I have been making him use his left and right arm. He is going to be 3 in a few months and can throw well with both left and right. He also bats left handed. Hopefully his coordination is good and I just may have a switch pitching, power lefty. cha ching

I'm 6'4 and I was in a relationship with a woman a couple years ago who is 6'1. I joked, yet I secretly did mean, that I was going to turn our gigantic future baby into a basketball player. She later broke up with me mainly because of my AC trips. Not fair.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
July 17th, 2014 at 12:06:52 PM permalink
Quote: DrawingDead

Unfortunately, the directions did not specifically say to remove the packaging material from the poor bird & other stuff.

I ate T-day dinner once served by a woman who said she didn't actually know how to cook. So she got a lot of people to bring stuff and only did the turkey, helped by extensive advice at every step.

We discovered she never removed the giblets.
1BB
1BB
  • Threads: 18
July 17th, 2014 at 12:25:03 PM permalink

Who's out of shape, the dog or the boyfriend? :-)
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
July 17th, 2014 at 12:35:37 PM permalink
First, round is a shape.

Second, I'm out of shape and it doesn't matter. Obviously looking better is always a plus, but it's not the most important thing in getting women once you pass a certain age.
Tomspur
Tomspur
  • Threads: 28
July 17th, 2014 at 12:45:26 PM permalink
Anybody see the news about a Malaysia Airlines flight possibly being shot down over Ukraine?

I have a feeling we may be looking at some serious doo-doo here soon
“There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.” - Winston Churchill
GWAE
GWAE
July 17th, 2014 at 1:30:10 PM permalink
Quote: Tomspur

Anybody see the news about a Malaysia Airlines flight possibly being shot down over Ukraine?

I have a feeling we may be looking at some serious doo-doo here soon

http://news.msn.com/world/malaysian-airliner-downed-in-ukraine-war-zone-295-dead
GWAE
GWAE
July 17th, 2014 at 1:33:25 PM permalink
I know 1 thing for sure. I am staying the hell off planes from Malaysia.
Nareed
Nareed
July 17th, 2014 at 3:01:02 PM permalink

I know 1 thing for sure. I am staying the hell off planes from Malaysia.

I know for sure many people will believe the plane that went down somewhere in Asia earlier this year was shot down by the Russians.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
July 17th, 2014 at 3:07:32 PM permalink
They're saying it was (unconfirmed) shot down by Ukrainian rebels backed by Russia. 23 Americans on board, which will help give the US investigatory status (along with it being a Boeing). No word yet on other nationalities, but the Ukraine has just requested the US lead the investigation. 280 pax and 15 crew, all fatalities. Also, Israel has put ground troops into the Gaza Strip. 10 mile debris field, which helps indicate it was an explosion. The rebels have already recovered the black boxes, but say they will only turn them over to the Russians. There is electronic evidence that the aircraft was targeted and locked on.

WWIII feels very close at the moment.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
Lemieux66
Lemieux66
July 17th, 2014 at 3:51:06 PM permalink
Quote: 1BB

Who's out of shape, the dog or the boyfriend? :-)

The boyfriend. Plus he's short. I'm taller, in better shape, smarter, and everything she needs. So clearly she's wrong for being with him and not me.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
July 17th, 2014 at 3:57:33 PM permalink

They're saying it was (unconfirmed) shot down by Ukrainian rebels backed by Russia.

MH was only carrier foolish enough to use that route near a war zone. No one else was using it.

Its hard to shoot down an airliner at FL 33 if you are a militant rebel group even with Russian backing. Now an intermediate range missle from a Russian radar controlled weapons unit with telemetry and course correction, that is more military than local rebels. So it was more likely Russian than Ukrainian no matter which side the Ukrainians were on.

Some indication of trouble at FL 33 with descent to FL 21 but even that way, its hard for an insurgency unit to be doing that stuff, such as with a BUK system. It will turn out to be a military Russian unit, not a poorly equipped Ukrainian unit.

It was the Russians that had just shot down a high flying Ukrainian Transport Plane a week ago.
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
July 17th, 2014 at 3:58:25 PM permalink

The boyfriend. Plus he's short. I'm taller, in better shape, smarter, and everything she needs. So clearly she's wrong for being with him and not me.

I can see that your understanding of women is exceeded only by your understanding of blackjack and heat avoidance.
Nareed
Nareed
July 17th, 2014 at 4:06:57 PM permalink

So clearly she's wrong for being with him and not me.

She likes dogs, you don't want to own a pet. You shouldn't even be looking at her.
Lemieux66
Lemieux66
July 17th, 2014 at 4:24:34 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

She likes dogs, you don't want to own a pet. You shouldn't even be looking at her.

Well she owns a dog because of the horrible boyfriend. If I was with her, I'd alert her about all the negatives of owning a pet using logic,
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
July 17th, 2014 at 4:26:05 PM permalink

using logic

Oh man you are going to be single forever
Lemieux66
Lemieux66
July 17th, 2014 at 4:27:23 PM permalink

Oh man you are going to be single forever

I think I might have found one who is logical. Lucky lucky.
Nareed
Nareed
July 17th, 2014 at 4:33:30 PM permalink

Well she owns a dog because of the horrible boyfriend. If I was with her, I'd alert her about all the negatives of owning a pet using logic,

That would work perfectrly only if you're a mascohist.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
July 17th, 2014 at 4:40:48 PM permalink
Israel attacks Gaza, separatists shoot down jetliner:

*calls stock broker*

"Short the market!"
"What, me worry?"
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 89
July 17th, 2014 at 5:36:49 PM permalink
Quote: MrV

separatists shoot down jetliner:

I checked out Foxnews TV channel on this, Gretas show.
It's non political news. Well, this is Fox, Greta had John Bolton on. He's going off, its all Obama's fault, he's not tough enough on Putin.
sheesh, is everything political on Fox?
Had to switch the station.
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
July 17th, 2014 at 5:43:07 PM permalink
deleted
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
GWAE
GWAE
July 17th, 2014 at 5:47:20 PM permalink
I was at the park today with my son this evening and there was a little league play off game. It kinda made me sad that I am getting old and are so far away from playing little league. I guess that is probably the only reason that people coach, it is the only way they can stay in the game.
rudeboyoi
rudeboyoi
  • Threads: 27
July 17th, 2014 at 7:07:15 PM permalink

What do you consider negative about owning a pet?
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
July 17th, 2014 at 7:42:56 PM permalink
Quote: Ibeatyouraces

Nothing wrong with that.

I agree with that but it's nice to get laid once in a while. "Using logic" is not the best way to accomplish that goal.
Lemieux66
Lemieux66
July 17th, 2014 at 8:05:35 PM permalink
Quote: rudeboyoi

What do you consider negative about owning a pet?

I don't like the idea of feeding or building an emotional bond with something with such a short lifespan. Dog food and vet bills are expensive. You WILL pay the vet bills if something bad goes down because you love your pet. I'd rather not have the pet to love thus no responsibility.
Lemieux66
Lemieux66
July 17th, 2014 at 8:09:57 PM permalink

I agree with that but it's nice to get laid once in a while. "Using logic" is not the best way to accomplish that goal.

I tried that on the 6'1 girl. Here's one little example. When we went out to go eat, I generally paid about 70% of the bill. Virtually all the time. Instead she complained(after a long while, I would have altered my approach if I knew earlier) that I never "treated her". She basically wanted to go Dutch most of the time and I pay the whole thing once in a while. I logically tried to explain to get that in the long run I'm paying more. That certainly didn't work.
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
  • Threads: 164
July 17th, 2014 at 8:18:41 PM permalink

FWIW, I grew up in an ordinary house

I will resist temptation :)
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
July 17th, 2014 at 9:04:23 PM permalink

I tried that on the 6'1 girl. Here's one little example. When we went out to go eat, I generally paid about 70% of the bill. Virtually all the time. Instead she complained(after a long while, I would have altered my approach if I knew earlier) that I never "treated her". She basically wanted to go Dutch most of the time and I pay the whole thing once in a while. I logically tried to explain to get that in the long run I'm paying more. That certainly didn't work.

It's not about who pays more.
Lemieux66
Lemieux66
July 17th, 2014 at 9:36:27 PM permalink

It's not about who pays more.

It's about doing nice thoughtful things right?
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
July 17th, 2014 at 9:47:45 PM permalink

It's about doing nice thoughtful things right?

It's about making her feel special. No one feels special picking up 30% of a tab.
Lemieux66
Lemieux66
July 17th, 2014 at 10:06:05 PM permalink

It's about making her feel special. No one feels special picking up 30% of a tab.

I've learned that.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
July 17th, 2014 at 10:43:36 PM permalink

I was at the park today with my son this evening and there was a little league play off game. It kinda made me sad that I am getting old and are so far away from playing little league. I guess that is probably the only reason that people coach, it is the only way they can stay in the game.

That's also why guys ump.

"What, me worry?"
  • Jump to: