"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
aceofspades
aceofspades
  • Threads: 366
July 19th, 2013 at 6:17:58 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

But Ace, you were on that millionaires show. Are
you saying this is, well, you?

That show was a long time ago...in a galaxy far, far away...
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
July 19th, 2013 at 6:21:05 PM permalink
Quote: aceofspades

That show was a long time ago...in a galaxy far, far away...

Yet its still on in reruns and people tend
to believe what they see on TV. I know
I do..
Paigowdan
Paigowdan
  • Threads: 115
July 19th, 2013 at 6:23:48 PM permalink
Millionaires are assholes who are far smarter than the rest of us, - assuming they are self-made, and not trust fund kiddies.

So, if we consider:
1. Life of Earth is nothing but assholes, as we humans are sadly the smartest, if you can use that word, then...
2. These rich assholes are the smart assholes, and the rest of us are the broke, even dumber assholes, even if you see some hubris.

We use our brains to make our bed.
Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes - Henry David Thoreau. Like Dealers' uniforms - Dan.
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
July 19th, 2013 at 7:11:44 PM permalink
I know a lot of low class stupid assholes. I know a lot of rich assholes too, but I have more than enough to fill a flush with either. Past a certain number the actual count is meaningless. Lots of assholes out there.
A falling knife has no handle.
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
July 19th, 2013 at 7:53:57 PM permalink
deleted
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
UCivan
UCivan
  • Threads: 84
July 19th, 2013 at 10:47:56 PM permalink
Quote: Paigowdan

Millionaires are assholes who are far smarter than the rest of us, - assuming they are self-made, and not trust fund kiddies.

So, if we consider:
1. Life of Earth is nothing but assholes, as we humans are sadly the smartest, if you can use that word, then...
2. These rich assholes are the smart assholes, and the rest of us are the broke, even dumber assholes, even if you see some hubris.

We use our brains to make our bed.

What is a rich person nowadays? net assets of 1 million or more? I try to find out how rich I am.
ahiromu
ahiromu
  • Threads: 112
July 19th, 2013 at 11:43:17 PM permalink
I tend to believe most people on this forum are relatively well off, gambling isn't exactly a cheap hobby.

Being rich is one of those things you can really only know when you see it, especially when considering net worth. In some places 1mil in net worth will let you live like a god. In others, you're an average Joe. A 45 year old with 1mil in a 401k is far wealthier than a 65 year old.
Its - Possessive; It's - "It is" / "It has"; There - Location; Their - Possessive; They're - "They are"
KeyserSoze
KeyserSoze
  • Threads: 13
July 20th, 2013 at 4:10:52 AM permalink
(age * income) / 10 = expected net worth.

(age * income) / 5 = you are wealthy.
Talent hits a target no one else can hit; genius hits a target no one else can see.
DeMango
DeMango
  • Threads: 36
July 20th, 2013 at 4:42:08 AM permalink
Something I've always noticed on the road: BMW drivers are assholes. Or maybe a better word: Entitled. No comparison to say Corvette drivers, much nicer people on the road. Probably same money, so I wonder why.
When a rock is thrown into a pack of dogs, the one that yells the loudest is the one who got hit.
21Revolution
21Revolution
  • Threads: 8
July 20th, 2013 at 6:41:54 AM permalink
Quote: DeMango

Something I've always noticed on the road: BMW drivers are assholes. Or maybe a better word: Entitled. No comparison to say Corvette drivers, much nicer people on the road. Probably same money, so I wonder why.

Target marketing :) I would agree there is a big difference between those feeling entitled versus those who are grateful.
zippyboy
zippyboy
  • Threads: 2
July 20th, 2013 at 6:59:04 AM permalink
Quote: UCivan

What is a rich person nowadays? net assets of 1 million or more? I try to find out how rich I am.

Here's a quiz you can ask yourself to determine if you are rich:

If you get all your income from one source, then you're probably not rich.
If you're at a cocktail party, and someone asks what you do for a living; if you can answer that question in a single sentence, then you are probably not rich.
"Poker sure is an easy game to beat if you have the roll to keep rebuying."
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 212
July 20th, 2013 at 7:44:58 AM permalink
The video is pretty accurate describing the thoughts, rationalization, lying, cheating, etc. Endorsing unethical behaviors in others is something I had trouble understanding on the internet and now I get it. They're secretly defending themselves when they speak out he way they do. The video describes the millionaires I know very well and by contrast me. It's funny the more you start thinking about fairness, the less you're willing to accept advantage and reject it.
I am a robot.
KeyserSoze
KeyserSoze
July 20th, 2013 at 8:09:07 AM permalink
PBS has an extreme liberal bias. Of course they will say rich people are assholes.
Talent hits a target no one else can hit; genius hits a target no one else can see.
tringlomane
tringlomane
  • Threads: 8
July 20th, 2013 at 8:11:18 AM permalink
Quote: DeMango

People driving BMWs drive better than those with Mustangs though.

Quote: KeyserSoze

(age * income) / 10 = expected net worth.

(age * income) / 5 = you are wealthy.

Does this mean I am wealthy because I have no income but have more than $0? And oh yeah, fml.
aceofspades
aceofspades
  • Threads: 366
July 20th, 2013 at 8:12:13 AM permalink
Quote: KeyserSoze

PBS has an extreme liberal bias. Of course they will say rich people are assholes.

Yet it is mostly the rich persons and corporations who support PBS - strange dichotomy
KeyserSoze
KeyserSoze
July 20th, 2013 at 9:25:47 AM permalink

Yet it is mostly the rich persons and corporations who support PBS - strange dichotomy

You are correct. That is strange, isn't it?
98Clubs
98Clubs
  • Threads: 52
July 20th, 2013 at 11:52:34 AM permalink
I look at it this way, we all have a$$holes, some are blessed with a second one that has teeth and tongue.
Some people need to reimagine their thinking.
ahiromu
ahiromu
  • Threads: 112
July 20th, 2013 at 2:40:02 PM permalink

There's a difference between the "super rich" (CEO's, Kennedy-types) who have enough money to control the game and the "rich" (doctors, lower level executives) who are smart enough to play the game.
Its - Possessive; It's - "It is" / "It has"; There - Location; Their - Possessive; They're - "They are"
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
July 20th, 2013 at 2:53:57 PM permalink
deleted
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
July 20th, 2013 at 3:01:43 PM permalink
I watched it again. The say how people are rich if they
make 150-200k a year, they're at 'the top'. Bullcrap.
200k a year is hardly rich by any standards. Its upper
middle class but rich it ain't. These people can be rude
and pushy because thats how they got there, cheating,
lying, being an asshole to get ahead.

The Monopoly experiment is also a crock. Look at the person
winning at the craps table or the poker table. They also act
entitled and full of themselves. Winning does that to you,
it emboldens you and makes you cocky. They will never do
a study on the people who are rich because they're not
accessible. They're the smart ones, and they're usually smart
about a lot of things, including how not to be perceived as
jerks by pushing little people around.
P90
P90
  • Threads: 12
July 20th, 2013 at 3:46:33 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

I watched it again. The say how people are rich if they
make 150-200k a year, they're at 'the top'.

200k is about what you will make in a year as a skilled player if you have the patience to grind WSOP/WPT time side games, Macau tables, and key US AP opportunities.

Any penetration or qualified saturation diving welder that agrees to work 6-9 months a year, health breaks included in these, can average about $300k. The starting qualifications are fairly modest (there's free training), as is the physical stress, and, while high-risk, it's not especially lethal in statistical terms. But the psychological pressure makes most people in the trade pick a more relaxed schedule.

Quote: zippyboy

If you're at a cocktail party, and someone asks what you do for a living; if you can answer that question in a single sentence, then you are probably not rich.

At least half, probably 2/3 or more of the currently rich people would be able to answer it with "Not a damn thing".

And it is what separates the rich from the common man. If you can, starting tomorrow, never do a damn thing in your life other than get wasted in fashionable places and sleep it off, and comfortably maintain that lifestyle till the end, you're rich. If you can do it for a while, but realistically would have to check your assets in a year, you're not.
Resist ANFO Boston PRISM Stormfront IRA Freedom CIA Obama
  • Jump to: