sodawater
sodawater
  • Threads: 64
January 16th, 2013 at 2:17:52 PM permalink
This is one of the craziest stories I have ever read. Do yourself a favor and read all the way to the end.

http://deadspin.com/5976517/manti-teos-dead-girlfriend-the-most-heartbreaking-and-inspirational-story-of-the-college-football-season-is-a-hoax
kmumf
kmumf
  • Threads: 1
January 16th, 2013 at 3:19:17 PM permalink
Its a cover up for him being gay in the Mormon church.
sodawater
sodawater
January 16th, 2013 at 3:28:41 PM permalink
Quote: kmumf

Its a cover up for him being gay in the Mormon church.

that sure seems like a likely explanation.

Teo put out a statement just before saying he was a victim of the hoax, but from the deadspin story, it's pretty clear he was in on it.
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
January 16th, 2013 at 4:24:42 PM permalink
Quote: sodawater

that sure seems like a likely explanation.

Teo put out a statement just before saying he was a victim of the hoax, but from the deadspin story, it's pretty clear he was in on it.

If he was the victim of a hoax, he lied several times early in the season by saying he met "her" in person. The only possible outcomes are that either he was in on it from the beginning, or he really was a victim, and lied several times about meeting her to save face about being in such a serious online-only relationship.
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 121
January 16th, 2013 at 4:26:40 PM permalink
As little as I recall, wasn't she always referred to as his girlfriend? This one REALLY smells....
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
January 16th, 2013 at 4:39:00 PM permalink
I remember hearing early in the story that she wasn't his "girlfriend", but a really close friend; that very quickly changed to girlfriend.

I don't think there are many explanations available that aren't really strange.

If he's a gay Mormon athlete at Notre Dame (who knows, no evidence either way), then he's got the deck pretty well stacked against him... on the other hand, he might be the guy who breaks the ice. My daughter is very active in trying to change ND's stance on gay issues. It is a tough uphill battle when the university is duty bound to hold the position it does, but by that measure any small victory is heartening. She's in his class, graduating this May, but I don't think they've ever met. If he's in the closet, he's in deep, I guarantee it.
A falling knife has no handle.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
January 16th, 2013 at 4:41:41 PM permalink
Quote: Mosca

If he's in the closet, he's in deep, I guarantee it.

If he is in the closet, that door is about to swing wide open.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
January 16th, 2013 at 5:07:17 PM permalink
What, a gay football player?

Say it isn't so!

Sort of gives new meaning to "Go deep!"
"What, me worry?"
kewlj
kewlj
  • Threads: 216
January 16th, 2013 at 5:14:38 PM permalink
This story smells bad. Breaking big time right now on major networks, so it won't take long to get to the bottom of it. My initial thoughts are it was all about publicity to benefit Te'o. His statements today that he is the victim is not credible. Not sure how you guys made the leap to him being gay though. Did I miss something?
Buzzard
Buzzard
  • Threads: 90
Thanked by
KennedyTeagan
January 16th, 2013 at 5:18:36 PM permalink
Quote: MrV

What, a gay football player?

Say it isn't so!

Sort of gives new meaning to "Go deep!"

Glad you did not say Tight End.
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
MrV
MrV
January 16th, 2013 at 5:20:53 PM permalink
Quote: Buzzard

Glad you did not say Tight End.

Or its opposite: "Wide Receiver."
"What, me worry?"
sodawater
sodawater
January 16th, 2013 at 5:22:01 PM permalink
ESPN has been running footage of him telling an interviewer in October about meeting the girl and talking to her over the phone "every single night for four months."

So I can think of three possibilities:

1. He was in on it the entire time, and was aware it was a hoax, and did it for media coverage and Heisman votes, or

2. He was in on it the entire time, to cover up something else, such as being gay or a different Mormon-forbidden relationship, or,

3. He just thought he knew her online, but played up to the media saying how close he was to the dead girl, for the narrative and Heisman votes.

1 and 2 seem most likely. I think 3 is even more despicable, though.

The deadspin article has very good proof Te'o was in on it, including this gem:

Quote: deadspin.com

"They started out as just friends," Te'o's father, Brian, told the Tribune in October 2012. "Every once in a while, she would travel to Hawaii, and that happened to be the time Manti was home, so he would meet with her there."

Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
January 16th, 2013 at 8:25:04 PM permalink
Quote: MrV

Or its opposite: "Wide Receiver."

Do you think he is practicing Safety sex?
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
Croupier
Croupier
  • Threads: 58
January 16th, 2013 at 8:29:41 PM permalink
Quote: Mission146

Do you think he is practicing Safety sex?

is that something to do with his Defensive Tackle?
[This space is intentionally left blank]
SanchoPanza
SanchoPanza
  • Threads: 34
January 17th, 2013 at 5:52:25 AM permalink

ESPN has been running footage of him telling an interviewer in October about meeting the girl and talking to her over the phone "every single night for four months."

With all the cock-and-bull cover-up from all the media, including CBS, the completely discredited Sports Illustrated and even The New York Times, it appears that not one reporter or editor has ever asked the simple question of how Te'o supposedly found out about her death.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
January 17th, 2013 at 6:53:19 AM permalink
Quote: SanchoPanza

With all the cock-and-bull cover-up from all the media, including CBS, the completely discredited Sports Illustrated and even The New York Times, it appears that not one reporter or editor has ever asked the simple question of how Te'o supposedly found out about her death.

EXCELLENT question!!! Someone else must have called, someone with a phone number that can be traced... Can't they trace the number he supposedly called her on for hours at a time, too? What a liar he is!!! Anyone think of the possibility that he was set up by game - fixers... He could not have played worse in that championship game had he tried.... Perhaps he was being blackmailed.... You suck (which he did!) or else we spill the beans?
MakingBook
MakingBook
  • Threads: 24
January 17th, 2013 at 7:14:04 AM permalink
I wonder if I'm being duped at WoV?

Is the Wizard a fictitious person?
What about the rest of you? Do any of you exist?
Am I the only real person here?
"I am a man devoured by the passion for gambling." --Dostoevsky, 1871
Buzzard
Buzzard
January 17th, 2013 at 7:19:04 AM permalink
Well, if you were really a bookmaker, you would have posted a line on reality. Now I am wondering about YOU !
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
January 17th, 2013 at 7:51:26 AM permalink
Supposedly his brother Brian told him.

As far as the gay angle, there is absolutely no evidence, other than high profile ultra-pious guy with an imaginary girlfriend.
A falling knife has no handle.
sodawater
sodawater
January 17th, 2013 at 1:29:31 PM permalink
Quote: MakingBook

I wonder if I'm being duped at WoV?

Is the Wizard a fictitious person?
What about the rest of you? Do any of you exist?
Am I the only real person here?

pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.
SanchoPanza
SanchoPanza
January 17th, 2013 at 3:13:29 PM permalink

pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

What "man behind what curtain"? And we always thought that was the Wicked Witch of the West.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
January 18th, 2013 at 8:47:27 AM permalink
I'm betting Te'o is gay. Having a made up girlfriend far away is cover for him not taking advantage of the local female talent. As open a society as we think we are, there are no out of the closet NFLers, MLBers, NHLers, NBAers, or PGAers. I believe there is one top PBAer who is admittedly gay, if you count bowling as a major sport.
aceofspades
aceofspades
  • Threads: 366
January 18th, 2013 at 8:53:29 AM permalink
Gay or not gay - I suppose society is not ready for a gay athlete? LOL I am sure through all the years of professional and college sports, not one man or woman was gay LOL
Although it seems that LPGA and WNBA members can be openly lesbian - why can't a man be openly gay?
kmumf
kmumf
January 18th, 2013 at 9:58:33 AM permalink
Well one of his teammates just admitted that he was having relations with other women durring the whole fake girlfriend. LOL So he was cheating on his fake girlfriend now. This is too much.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
January 18th, 2013 at 10:25:43 AM permalink

Well one of his teammates just admitted that he was having relations with other women durring the whole fake girlfriend. LOL So he was cheating on his fake girlfriend now. This is too much.

And now a pro NFLer (Arizona Cardinal) is saying the make believe girlfriend does exist!
kewlj
kewlj
  • Threads: 216
January 18th, 2013 at 11:19:02 AM permalink

Well one of his teammates just admitted that he was having relations with other women during the whole fake girlfriend.

Wait! How can this be. Members of this site has already definitively proclaimed him gay. lol

Quote: SOOPOO

And now a pro NFLer (Arizona Cardinal) is saying the make believe girlfriend does exist!

Makes you wonder if these Island guys are playing with a full deck. Maybe the salt air of island life has softened their skull and then when you mix in football, the brain just starts rolling around. lol I mean look at Troy Polamalo...we KNOW he's nuts.

Seriously, this story is disturbing to me and it just keeps getting weirder. I am trying to give Manti Te'o the benefit of the doubt, but there is just insurmountable doubt. If you believe his new story that he found out that this online 'girlfriend' was a fake on December 6, while at an awards banquet, Then why 2 days later on December 8 did he yet again state that he hated cancer because he lost his girlfriend to cancer??? 2 more days later an interview in the LA times again quotes him making references about his girlfriends death. Both these statements after he 'found out he was the victum of a hoax....??? Add to that his father's statement that he had met the girlfriend in the Islands and Manti Teo and his family are no longer credible. I'm afraid a more sensible conclusion is this story was made up in an effort to further his career. Playing for the deceased girlfriend legend to garnish a few extra sympathy votes in the Heisman race. That's my take.

I am a Notre Dame fan. Despite taking quite a shallacking in the title game, ND football team has a very nice season. You can debate whether they belonged in the title game....that is another topic, but they had a very successful season winning all their games and Manti Te'o was a huge part of that with an outstanding season. As a fan, this story doesn't diminish those achievements, but it does leave you with a weird vibe.

Now as far as the University of Notre Dame itself, they were notified of this situation on Dec 26 by Manti Te'o himself. I think they had an obligation to make this story public at that time, simply because of the legend of the season which grew out of this story. They chose not to do so, because the championship game was approaching and they didn't want a negative story interfering with their moment. That is disappointing to me as a ND fan. Once again, trying to cover up, and protect the football program, as so many programs do, rather than deal with the truth.

As for Te'o's career, this story won't change all that much. He will still be drafted highly, probably first round and still play NFL football and still make a lot of money. It may cost him some money, if a few teams pass on him, wondering about his character or even mental stability and he drops a few spots in the draft. Perhaps teams will not be willing to risk quite as much on him and his financial worth will drop slightly. I kind of hope that is the case. Would serve him and his family right, if they did make up this whole thing to better his career.
aceofspades
aceofspades
  • Threads: 366
January 18th, 2013 at 11:43:26 AM permalink
Nude photo of Manti T'eo's girlfriend in the shower has leaked online (photo in SPOILER)

kmumf
kmumf
January 18th, 2013 at 11:47:35 AM permalink
Quote: kewlj

Wait! How can this be. Members of this site has already definitively proclaimed him gay. lol

Yeah I still think this is plausible as I was the ass who brought that up. I think at this point is anything is possible.
98Clubs
98Clubs
  • Threads: 52
January 18th, 2013 at 11:54:09 AM permalink
Just a cover-up for the EMBARRASSING loss to 'BAMA.

ROLL TIDE
Some people need to reimagine their thinking.
SanchoPanza
SanchoPanza
January 18th, 2013 at 12:30:40 PM permalink
Quote: kewlj

Now as far as the University of Notre Dame itself, they were notified of this situation on Dec 26 by Manti Te'o himself. I think they had an obligation to make this story public at that time, simply because of the legend of the season which grew out of this story. They chose not to do so, because the championship game was approaching and they didn't want a negative story interfering with their moment. That is disappointing to me as a ND fan. Once again, trying to cover up, and protect the football program, as so many programs do, rather than deal with the truth.

For that, the university should be sanctioned by the N.C.A.A., along the lines of suspending Penn State over the Paterno cover-up. Anything less just serves to confirm the degradation and corruption of collegiate athletics.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
January 18th, 2013 at 12:34:22 PM permalink

corruption of collegiate athletics.

Isn't that redundant? reiterative? and repetitive?
Buzzard
Buzzard
January 18th, 2013 at 12:55:59 PM permalink
SOOPOO, as a professional man, please do not degenerate AMATEUR Athletics.
SanchoPanza
SanchoPanza
January 18th, 2013 at 5:20:49 PM permalink

Isn't that redundant? reiterative? and repetitive?

More like a tautology, no?
MrV
MrV
January 18th, 2013 at 6:29:39 PM permalink

More like a tautology, no?

taut - hole -oh - gee!

Enough with the gay references.
"What, me worry?"
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
January 19th, 2013 at 5:19:05 AM permalink
Jeremy Schapp interviewed Te'o off camera. He gave a summary of the interview on Sportcenter last night.
Sounded like all soft questions.

How about these?

1. If she was the 'love of your life' how come you never went to meet her? Even after her life threatening car accident?
2. Did you ever 'google' her just for kicks? You never wanted to see her via skype or another 'viewable' technology?
3. Were you dating other women at Notre Dame despite having the 'love of your life' at Stanford?
4. Did you send flowers to the funeral?
5. Will you be willing to take a lie detector test, at ESPN's expense?

I've heard Lance Armstrong, a good friend of Te'o, is vouching for Te'o's story...........
Buzzard
Buzzard
January 19th, 2013 at 8:09:04 AM permalink
I am not making any judgement till Oprah explains what really happened.

I mean surely Lance getting caught and sued has nothing to do with his sincerity.
SanchoPanza
SanchoPanza
January 19th, 2013 at 8:12:54 AM permalink

Jeremy Schapp interviewed Te'o off camera. He gave a summary of the interview on Sportcenter last night.
Sounded like all soft questions.

How about these?

1. If she was the 'love of your life' how come you never went to meet her? Even after her life threatening car accident?

The "love of his life" was really the fake rape accuser in the Duke lacrosse case. She is a college jock groupie.
KennedyTeagan
KennedyTeagan
  • Threads: 0
December 12th, 2016 at 1:01:03 PM permalink
How you know about tightness :D ?
Wizardofnothing
Wizardofnothing
December 12th, 2016 at 1:18:07 PM permalink
Wow talk about a weird rehash- what did you even search to get this thread up
No longer hiring, don’t ask because I won’t hire you either
Nathan
Nathan
  • Threads: 65
Thanked by
WizardofnothingRogerKint
January 7th, 2017 at 6:07:08 PM permalink
Well, as for the speculation that Manti could be gay because he wasn't really interested in the women fawning over him, lots of straight professional athletes are more focused on their careers than in getting laid by random football groupies.
In both The Hunger Games and in gambling, may the odds be ever in your favor. :D "Man Babes" #AxelFabulous "Olive oil is processed but it only has one ingredient, olive oil."-Even Bob, March 27/28th. :D The 2 year war is over! Woo-hoo! :D I sometimes speak in metaphors. ;) Remember this. ;) Crack the code. :D 8.9.13.25.14.1.13.5.9.19.14.1.20.8.1.14! :D "For about the 4096th time, let me offer a radical idea to those of you who don't like Nathan -- block her and don't visit Nathan's Corner. What is so complicated about it?" Wizard, August 21st. :D
RogerKint
RogerKint
  • Threads: 15
January 7th, 2017 at 6:36:23 PM permalink
Right? Let em know, Nathan.
100% risk of ruin
Nathan
Nathan
January 8th, 2017 at 11:03:15 PM permalink
Quote: RogerKint

Right? Let em know, Nathan.

LOL. But seriously, a lot of straight athletes really would focus on their career than go have fun with random groupies. If you are making $420,000 a year as just a rookie, wouldn't you be more focused on that money rather than having fun with random groupies?
In both The Hunger Games and in gambling, may the odds be ever in your favor. :D "Man Babes" #AxelFabulous "Olive oil is processed but it only has one ingredient, olive oil."-Even Bob, March 27/28th. :D The 2 year war is over! Woo-hoo! :D I sometimes speak in metaphors. ;) Remember this. ;) Crack the code. :D 8.9.13.25.14.1.13.5.9.19.14.1.20.8.1.14! :D "For about the 4096th time, let me offer a radical idea to those of you who don't like Nathan -- block her and don't visit Nathan's Corner. What is so complicated about it?" Wizard, August 21st. :D
RogerKint
RogerKint
  • Threads: 15
January 8th, 2017 at 11:54:40 PM permalink
Quote: Nathan

LOL. But seriously, a lot of straight athletes really would focus on their career than go have fun with random groupies. If you are making $420,000 a year as just a rookie, wouldn't you be more focused on that money rather than having fun with random groupies?

I'd like to pretend I'd be responsible and disciplined but I'm not as smart as you are. That's a hard chess match to win.

100% risk of ruin
Nathan
Nathan
January 13th, 2017 at 5:23:59 AM permalink
Quote: RogerKint

I'd like to pretend I'd be responsible and disciplined but I'm not as smart as you are. That's a hard chess match to win.

LOL. But seriously, lots of straight athletes choose not to have trysts with random female groupies, mainly because they don't want to deal with gold diggers and have to end up having to pay child support if they get a groupie pregnant during a fun tryst for now 20+ years(In some states, you have to pay child support until the child is like 23! WTF!)
  • Jump to: