MathExtremist
MathExtremist
  • Threads: 88
April 20th, 2011 at 3:04:20 PM permalink
An executive recruiter recently sent me a job posting recently for a gaming mathematician, to be based in Las Vegas, base salary up to $150,000. He's also looking for a Vegas-based software architect as well as several slot game designers, all up to $150,000. If anyone's been looking to move to Vegas and get into the gaming industry on the vendor side, this might be a good opportunity. PM me if interested and I'll forward you the contact details. For the record, this is a confidential search and I don't know who's hiring -- all I know are the job titles and salary ranges.
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
DorothyGale
DorothyGale
  • Threads: 40
April 20th, 2011 at 3:23:10 PM permalink
This one?

--Ms. D.
"Who would have thought a good little girl like you could destroy my beautiful wickedness!"
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
April 20th, 2011 at 3:43:00 PM permalink
I actually don't know -- rumor has it there are a lot of LV gaming companies hiring right now. This is 2nd-hand from a recruiter I know, but he only works with 100k+ jobs.
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
DorothyGale
DorothyGale
  • Threads: 40
April 20th, 2011 at 3:52:21 PM permalink
One of my pet peeves is when recruiters call me up or e-mail me and ask if I know someone blah blah who would fit some job they have open ... I ask if they are willing to share their fee with me ... after all, they get a fee for finding someone for a job and they're asking me to do their work for them ... they seemed genuinely shocked that I shouldn't just tell them the names I have, out of the goodness of my heart ... I've just started getting really nasty about this ... maybe it's because no one wants to recruit me, they just want me to give up names of people better than me who are looking for work, without paying me for my leads ...

--Ms. D.
"Who would have thought a good little girl like you could destroy my beautiful wickedness!"
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
April 20th, 2011 at 3:59:29 PM permalink
Oh, I see -- I didn't mean to imply that this was a cold-call from a recruiter. I wouldn't post that here (or anywhere, really). This position is being handled by a former colleague and long-time Vegas networking guru. I'm happy to do a friend the favor.

In the general case, when a faceless recruiter cold-calls me based on some resume from 10 years ago that they still have in their database (I get this several times a year), I say thanks but not interested.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
April 20th, 2011 at 11:16:32 PM permalink
Sounds fascinating. Of course in view of the fact that I have some real difficulty with math that goes beyond fingers and toes, I don't think I will apply but one thing can be viewed as good news: not everyone in the world of gambling is a "doom and gloom" type these days. Someone sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
  • Jump to: