Thread Rating:

rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
August 13th, 2013 at 12:13:56 PM permalink
Quote: Mission146

I don't know for sure, but imagine the Wizard might agree that we don't want to be one of the top hits on Google for a search of William Shatner AND @$$hole, so it's probably in the best interest of the Board, anyway.

EDIT: Just checked, we sit at #8 right now.

Could you do just what you did in your post and mask the word without making it any less clear to a human reader? Would that "fool" google?
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
August 13th, 2013 at 12:14:08 PM permalink
Quote: Face

True character is defined by how one handles adversity.

Agreed. What's in it for them? I loved PGD's Jones story, that seemed decent. Asking for more when the guy already gave you untold hours of Kirk and Hooker just seems...uncouth.

I guess I just don't get it. Skating with and being there to talk hockey with Rob Ray was way better than getting something from him. Feeling like I "gave back" to a guy that provided me with a villain for so long felt "right". Asking for more? Just don't get it.

I would love to shake Barry Sanders by the hand. Better would be to talk about his epic game in the last Lions play off win, but I'll take the hand shake. Same with Lidstrom, Chris Waddle and Jason Hanson. I did once meet and greet Patrick Moore (as a 16 year old nerdy astronomy buff), which was pretty damn awesome, and would also like to meet Douglas Hostadter. And that's about all the famous people I'd go out of my way to thank.

The 'experience' thing is what fans will tend to want, and some celebs seem to be happier to do that than the autograph.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
August 13th, 2013 at 12:17:11 PM permalink
Quote: rdw4potus

Could you do just what you did in your post and mask the word without making it any less clear to a human reader? Would that "fool" google?

Maybe, so I'll try it. I don't know how long it takes Google to do whatever it does to decide how popular something should be, so I'll do that and check on it tomorrow.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
JB
Administrator
JB
  • Threads: 334
August 13th, 2013 at 12:17:16 PM permalink
I just changed the thread title to something more neutral/journalistic.
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
August 13th, 2013 at 12:17:41 PM permalink
Quote: Mission146

What really happens is a mutual and equal exchange, which is that the person entertains you and you, "Buy," the person's entertainment. However, it seems as though there are two types of fans: those who think the celebrity/athlete/musician is doing them a favor by bringing entertainment into their lives and then there are those who think they are doing the celebrity a favor by partaking in the entertainment or even knowing who the person is.

I would suggest that many people in the latter category, which does not necessarily include any present company, are also the types who would get miffed about the celebrity not signing something for them immediately upon request.

I do ask local-type bands for autographs, though, it gives them a good laugh. Someone at this bar we played back when I was in a band asked me to sign his T-Shirt for him, and I thought it was the most hilarious thing ever, so I just figure I'll share the joke!

It takes me 30 minutes to make enough money to buy a years worth of his entertainment. It takes him how many thousands of hours to create it? That's how I look at it, anyway =)

I also vote to change the title. Forum rules, her own admission of haste and emotion, propriety... the list goes on.

EDIT:
Quote: thecesspit

I would love to shake Barry Sanders by the hand.

If you do, mail me a "high five" so I can be only a degree of seperation from a Great One!

Also, GJ JB.
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
August 13th, 2013 at 12:17:59 PM permalink
Never mind, someone else changed it already, maybe Op'ers can edit their own titles?

EDIT: Kudos to JB for being more decisive about things than I am!
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
August 13th, 2013 at 12:20:55 PM permalink
Quote: HotBlonde

Honestly? He asked to be in a TV series but never, ever be recognized or be asked for his autograph? Ok. Sure. And your definition of hounding? I don't feel I hounded him in that case. I, in all honestly, don't see how I could've been more polite than I was. Were I a celebrity, perhaps he would've come out of his "shell" and obliged. But one will never know.

(Unless, of course, I myself achieve celebrity status, which I have no desire to do so, so we REALLY may never know.)

How could you have been more polite? By leaving the guy alone to enjoy his dinner out with his friends!

You are implying that because you are polite you are entitled to get his autograph and at the same time giving him nothing in return!

No matter how big of a fan you are, or someone in your life is, you simply have no right to interrupt him when he is on his personal time. PERIOD.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
treetopbuddy
treetopbuddy
  • Threads: 34
August 13th, 2013 at 12:22:26 PM permalink
poor guy is 82....he doesn't care about HotBlondes
Each day is better than the next
HotBlonde
HotBlonde
  • Threads: 116
August 13th, 2013 at 12:35:33 PM permalink

Same with Lidstrom

If you're referring to Nicklas Lidstrom I want to meet him too. Except alone and naked.
OFFICIALLY and justifiably reclaimed my title as SuperHotBlonde!
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
August 13th, 2013 at 12:38:49 PM permalink
Frank and Dean called the public 'clydes' when they were
in the Rat Pack. It means hicks and bumpkins. They constantly
made fun of their fans and wanted nothing to do with them.
Dean would often not even finish his songs when doing a
nightclub gig, he'd sing half of it and go on to the next one.
Sometimes he'd say 'if you want to hear all of it, buy the record.'
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
thecesspit
thecesspit
August 13th, 2013 at 12:41:11 PM permalink

If you're referring to Nicklas Lidstrom I want to meet him too. Except alone and naked.

I'll be sure to let him know if it ever happens. I am sure his wife will be flattered.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
August 13th, 2013 at 12:44:53 PM permalink
deleted
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
HotBlonde
HotBlonde
August 13th, 2013 at 12:46:38 PM permalink

I'll be sure to let him know if it ever happens. I am sure his wife will be flattered.

Yeah, he has a wife and four kids. I'm not one to get involved with a married man but if the unfortunate happens and things don't work out between the two of them I would very much like to have his babies.
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
August 13th, 2013 at 12:49:46 PM permalink
Let's bust the post count right now: Anyone want to bet whether Shattner even tipped?
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
thecesspit
thecesspit
August 13th, 2013 at 12:53:49 PM permalink
Quote: Ibeatyouraces

I don't know if he still lives in Novi or moved back to Sweden which he planned on doing a few years before retirement. Wanted his kids to go to school there instead of metro Detroit.

That would not be a surprise...
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
August 13th, 2013 at 12:58:16 PM permalink
HB, you stepped in it when you disregarded Shatner's clear instruction to the staff that he did not want to be disturbed.

I can only hope that your friend, the one who tipped you off, loses his/her job over this: they should be fired!

I know, why don't you contact the restaurant's manager, explain what happened, and complain that Shatner didn't give you an autograph, after your buddy tipped you off that he'd be there.
"What, me worry?"
Sabretom2
Sabretom2
  • Threads: 11
August 13th, 2013 at 1:12:36 PM permalink
Honestly, why would anyone give a shit. Celebrity worship is stupid. These people make a living playing make believe. They contribute nothing.
MrV
MrV
August 13th, 2013 at 1:16:54 PM permalink
Quote: Sabretom2

Honestly, why would anyone give a shit. Celebrity worship is stupid. These people make a living playing make believe. They contribute nothing.

"Nothing?"

Blasphemy!

"The Trouble With Tribbles" is a timeless classic, worthy of comparison to "Citizen Kane" and "Gone With The Wind."
"What, me worry?"
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
  • Threads: 88
August 13th, 2013 at 1:25:10 PM permalink
Quote: MrV

"Nothing?"

Blasphemy!

"The Trouble With Tribbles" is a timeless classic, worthy of comparison to "Citizen Kane" and "Gone With The Wind."

Perhaps, but Shatner didn't win an Emmy or a Golden Globe until Denny Crane.

"Denny Crane!"

"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
EvenBob
EvenBob
August 13th, 2013 at 1:27:04 PM permalink
People don't remember that for the longest time
Shatner hated Kirk and Star Trek and Trekkies
and refused to attend their conventions. He made
fun of them for being 'idiots'. It wasn't until the
Trek movies began paying him huge bucks that
he started to pretend he liked Kirk and Trek. But
he never really did, he always felt it was beneath
his talents to play that part.
EvenBob
EvenBob
August 13th, 2013 at 1:30:56 PM permalink
Quote: MathExtremist

Perhaps, but Shatner didn't win an Emmy or a Golden Globe until Denny Crane.

I loved that show and Denny Crane. He was marvelous as the
ego centered crackpot old lawyer.

boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
August 13th, 2013 at 1:31:22 PM permalink
Spock got nominated for an Emmy for all three years.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
August 13th, 2013 at 1:40:32 PM permalink
Quote: boymimbo

Spock got nominated for an Emmy for all three years.

It's almost like Mr. Nemoy and Mr. Shatner have differing levels of acting skill or something...
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
HotBlonde
HotBlonde
August 13th, 2013 at 1:46:44 PM permalink
I've met Byron Katie and she signed some books I have of hers. It was great meeting her, she is so beautiful. I think if I had to think of who else I would love to meet it would probably be Paul McCartney and Larry David. If I saw Larry David somewhere I would absolutely have to go up to him and tell him how much I love him and how incredibly funny I think he is and smart and when I watch Curb Your Enthusiasm I laugh and smile in a way no other show has made me laugh or smile. Paul McCartney I would be too intimidated to go up to and approach, but I would hope to meet him in a professional or social setting.

Who would you all really like to meet?
KeyserSoze
KeyserSoze
  • Threads: 13
August 13th, 2013 at 1:50:02 PM permalink

Zenyatta - Queen of Racing
Talent hits a target no one else can hit; genius hits a target no one else can see.
reno
reno
  • Threads: 124
August 13th, 2013 at 2:10:16 PM permalink
Quote: Twirdman

Honestly you think a celebrity can just retire and get away from it all.

Also your example is horrible Bardot is still in the news.

You're right, Bardot is a lousy example. A better example would be Greta Garbo, who died in 1990 but hadn't been in a movie since 1941. Garbo granted no interviews, signed no autographs, attended no premieres, answered no fan mail. A more recent example would be comedian Dave Chappelle who left Hollywood in 2005 at the height of his career to live on a farm in rural Ohio (though it now appears his retirement won't be permanent and he may return to TV.)

My favorite example is cartoonist Bill Watterson who quit Calvin & Hobbes mid-career without ever making a penny off of toy merchandising. A search on Google Images turns up only 4 photos of him in existence. Amazing.

Maybe these reclusive J.D. Salinger-types are freakish extremes, and maybe there's a healthy middle ground. But there's something to be said for consistency: Greta Garbo wasn't refusing autographs and demanding privacy while shooting TV commercials.
Paigowdan
Paigowdan
  • Threads: 115
August 13th, 2013 at 2:17:45 PM permalink
Two words: Norma Desmond.
Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes - Henry David Thoreau. Like Dealers' uniforms - Dan.
HotBlonde
HotBlonde
August 13th, 2013 at 2:20:16 PM permalink
Oh and I'd really like to meet Brian Tracy. I learned so much from him and owe him so much gratitude.
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
  • Threads: 75
August 13th, 2013 at 2:24:40 PM permalink
RE: Brian Tracy

I saw Brian Tracy a few years ago. Didn't get his autograph, but listening to him speak was fantastic. That guy could sell a penny
for 25¢.
Fighting BS one post at a time!
HotBlonde
HotBlonde
August 13th, 2013 at 2:27:01 PM permalink
Quote: Beethoven9th

RE: Brian Tracy

I saw Brian Tracy a few years ago. Didn't get his autograph, but listening to him speak was fantastic. That guy could sell a penny
for 25¢.

I'm soooo jealous. I would live to hear him speak as well. I think going to an event like that is great cause you have an opportunity to meet and network with like-minded people.
mgreiche
mgreiche
  • Threads: 19
August 13th, 2013 at 2:36:52 PM permalink
Many years ago I was walking by the Ed Sullivan Theater in NYC and there was a big crowd by the stage door. I found out Harrison Ford was doing the David Letterman Show. I wanted to stay to try to get an autograph but decided against it because it was raining pretty hard and I though there is no way anyone will stand in the rain to sign autographs. Just as I was about to walk away, the stage door opened and out walks Ford. He stood in the rain without an umbrella for about 10 minutes, sighed every piece of paper, magazine, Star Wars memorabilia people stuck in front of him. He answered questions, shook hands, took pictures. Before he got into his limo, he asked the crowd if there was anyone he missed. No one spoke up so got into his car and left. A few years later I read a quote from Ford that said the only time he will not sign an autograph is if he is in the bathroom doing his business.

I can understand celebrities who try to balance their life between time for fans and time for privacy. As unhappy as the Shatner results were it didn’t seem like he came off rude. I was in LAX about 5 years ago and I saw Jack Nicholson, I was about to approach him to ask for an autograph, but some poor guy beat me to it. Jack looked at the guy and screamed at the top of his lungs, “get the fk away from me”. This was a little excessive.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
August 13th, 2013 at 2:39:14 PM permalink
Quote: Sabretom2

I know I don't get it. One dealing gig our booker told us there might be some celebrities in the room and reminded us not to ask for autographs or anything like that. The two of us looked at him and said, "really?!" Asked it with the expression of why he would have to remind *us*, who as a group could really care less. We were breaking his balls over the fact that he had to tell us of course.

Now if you are running a service business it is good sense to tell the staff there may be someone famous showing up. But to go goo goo just because a ballplayer is at your table, I mean come on.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
MrV
MrV
August 13th, 2013 at 2:48:44 PM permalink

Nobody I can think of, really.

At the end of the day, we're all just walking bags of meat.
"What, me worry?"
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
  • Threads: 75
August 13th, 2013 at 2:49:49 PM permalink
Quote: mgreiche

Jack looked at the guy and screamed at the top of his lungs, “get the fk away from me”.

I've never cared for Nicholson. He always comes off as a d-bag, and this story backs it up.
Fighting BS one post at a time!
reno
reno
  • Threads: 124
August 13th, 2013 at 2:55:33 PM permalink
Quote: mgreiche

He stood in the rain without an umbrella for about 10 minutes, sighed every piece of paper, magazine, Star Wars memorabilia people stuck in front of him. He answered questions, shook hands, took pictures. Before he got into his limo, he asked the crowd if there was anyone he missed.

Wow, I'm very surprised by this story. If anything, I would have predicted Shatner to be more accomodating than Ford.
treetopbuddy
treetopbuddy
  • Threads: 34
August 13th, 2013 at 2:56:38 PM permalink
Quote: MrV

Nobody I can think of, really.

At the end of the day, we're all just walking bags of meat.

Are you related to EvenBob?
Each day is better than the next
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
August 13th, 2013 at 2:59:24 PM permalink
Back in a previous life, I got to do the lights for Mr. Nimoy when he was touring his outstanding 1 man show Vincent. He was very professional but not at all welcoming, so we in turn respected his choice and made no attempt to engage him while being completely available to his requirements. Val Kilmer is a complete method actor and I was his dresser on a Shakespeare piece, so we were very intimately acquainted in one way (several quick changes involving tights) while completely impersonal about it; he preferred to remain concentrated and in character throughout the run. Mickey Rooney was very friendly and liked to kid around with the crew: his co-star Ann Miller was the Queen Of The Theatre and could not have been more of a pain. My toughest star, though, was Peter Marshall (of all people) (for non-Americans, he was a handsome band singer in the 50's who became known for a tv show called Hollywood Squares - he toured a show in his later years). So celebrities run the gamut in my experience, but my best move has always been to say, "hello, Mr/Ms Celebrity, I really enjoy your work" and offer a handshake if the body language is right, then move on. I sort of get what HB is saying about the price of celebrity, but I have to agree that Mr. Shatner was off duty and had no obligation to her.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
Sabretom2
Sabretom2
  • Threads: 11
August 13th, 2013 at 3:02:16 PM permalink

Buzz Aldrin
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
August 13th, 2013 at 3:06:11 PM permalink
Ford is incredibly nice. I was working him Christmas Day in Hawaii (Kona) 3 years ago where he was buying a new jet and taking familiarity instruction. Told him on the radio what a pleasure it was, and he asked me if I wanted to come fly, he'd stop in front of the tower and drop the stairs for me. I was SOOOOOO wishing I could that I damned near closed the tower to go, but I was working solo that day (covering the holiday) and couldn't accept. I did get to say hello at the FBO later (Callista Flockhart was there too, so that was interesting) but, man, to have gone airborne over the Pacific with him would've been the best. Can you imagine going up the stairs of a 50 million dollar jet and have Han Solo/Indy/etc. meeting you at the door with a grin and a hand aboard?
HotBlonde
HotBlonde
August 13th, 2013 at 3:12:28 PM permalink
Well he was pretty good at flying the Millenium Falcon, I'm sure he'd be just as good a pilot with a jet.

:P
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
August 13th, 2013 at 3:22:59 PM permalink
Yeah, I think he's hotter than John Travolta with the aviation crowd at the moment, but they're the top of the tier between them regardless.
djatc
djatc
  • Threads: 83
August 13th, 2013 at 4:30:02 PM permalink
being in casinos all the time I run into (minor) celebrities. they have caps on and try to disguise who they are, so I'm pretty sure they don't wanna be approached. that and they are trying to activate a STP machine for a big (not really) payday.
"Man Babes" #AxelFabulous
24Bingo
24Bingo
  • Threads: 23
August 13th, 2013 at 4:32:12 PM permalink
Hell, even I run into celebrities, and I pay nothing stakes. They don't owe me anything, so I leave them alone.
The trick to poker is learning not to beat yourself up for your mistakes too much, and certainly not too little, but just the right amount.
Nareed
Nareed
August 13th, 2013 at 6:03:38 PM permalink

Elon Musk.

I can't think of anyone else who's really famous I'd like to meet.

But back in the late 80s I saw Simon Wiesenthal up close when he gave a talk in Mex City. Great talk, too. Alas, he didn't take questions from the audience.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
August 13th, 2013 at 6:46:45 PM permalink
I wasn't really a fan of Shatner that much until he read Sarah Palin "poetry"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mF_t1A8LGzg
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
ahiromu
ahiromu
  • Threads: 112
August 13th, 2013 at 6:59:58 PM permalink
Although Shatner isn't really known as being the nicest/kindest/friendliest celebrity, I don't really have an opinion here. It doesn't sound like he was an asshole when denying you his autograph, and I'm on the side of the "He owes you nothing" crowd. On the other hand, it's something that would have taken him 5 seconds and made another human very happy. Not many people have the ability to do that on a daily basis, and it baffles me how one would deny others that.

Personally, I would have waited until he actually left the restaurant to approach him, but that's just me.
Its - Possessive; It's - "It is" / "It has"; There - Location; Their - Possessive; They're - "They are"
FinsRule
FinsRule
  • Threads: 128
August 14th, 2013 at 5:52:25 AM permalink
Quote: KeyserSoze

Zenyatta - Queen of Racing

Yeah, she's undisputed #1 on my list. I'm thinking in about 3 or 4 years when my daughter is old enough to remember it, we will go meet her.
Nareed
Nareed
August 14th, 2013 at 7:58:57 AM permalink
I dind't much care for Shatner on Star Trek. Face it, Kirk was a mimbo. When he actually used his brains, which was often, it seemed unnatural and forced. I liked Spock much more, he was always my favorite.

Conversely, in real life I've much more respect for Shatner as an actor than for Nimoy, as regards their choice of roles. Shatner never perpetrated something as bad as "unexplained mysteries" or whatever the pseudo-scientific crap Nimoy did was called. Lately he's done some decent stuff as a guest star, too. He's shed the overacting in his old age, sometimes.

Though my vote for best actor and character in old Trek is a close tie between Scotty (James Doohan) and Sulu (George Takei). Scotty definitely stole the show in ST IV, too. That scene with the Mac is by far the most hilarious bit of Trek commedy (not parody) ever filmed. In particular when he puts the mouse close to his mouth and says "Hello, Computer!"
slyther
slyther
  • Threads: 13
August 14th, 2013 at 9:24:28 AM permalink
Come on now.. the quintessential Shatner role is of course as the Chancellor of the American Dodgeball Association of America in "Dodgeball"

boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
August 14th, 2013 at 9:34:50 AM permalink
Quote: Nareed

I dind't much care for Shatner on Star Trek. Face it, Kirk was a mimbo. When he actually used his brains, which was often, it seemed unnatural and forced. I liked Spock much more, he was always my favorite.

HOW Dare you!
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
  • Jump to: