Thread Rating:

HotBlonde
HotBlonde
  • Threads: 116
August 12th, 2013 at 9:16:40 PM permalink
So I've been coming to this restaurant by my house for a while now. I love the staff and they love me. There are celebrities that come here every once in a while. I've been told that William Shatner frequents here here and there. I thought that was pretty neat. I'm not a sci-fi fan or geek but I knew it would be cool to meet a legend like that. Anyway, I've been coming here a long time, and very frequently (I'm actually the Duchess of this restaurant on Yelp for those of you who knows what that means. For those who don't it means I'm a super-regular basically, above all others). Anywho, I asked a couple days ago to one of the friendly staff here when he thought Shatner would be in again. He told me that he actually had a reservation here Monday (tonight) at 6pm. A cousin of mine is one of those gamer/geeky-type (sorry Beth, love you!) and put up a post on Facebook recently something about William Shatner (and she's way younger than me, like by 15 years). So I knew she was a Star Trek fan and told her that I was told he comes to the restaurant I frequent quite often and if she'd like an autograph if I see him which I predicted I eventually would. She said yes.

So I'm told he was going to be here tonight and although I should have been working I make it a point to come in to see if I could snag an autograph and possibly a quick photo with him. When I showed up I peeked around for him and saw someone that looked like him and went up to the bar and asked my bartender/server if that was him that I saw. She said yes. I asked how she thought I could get an autograph and told her I was too scared to approach him. She said that they weren't really supposed to bother him but his server said that he would ask him for me and that he would feel most comfortable asking after they were finished with their dinner (Shatner was here with 3 other adults). I said sure, no problem and had my paper on my clipboard ready and my Sharpie pen ready and my cousin's name spelled out on a napkin so he would spell her name correctly. I wait and eat and wait and drink (I wasn't planning on coming in this night and actually had been planning on coming in here way less often now that I've been busy) but it was worth it to me to be able to put a smile on my cousin's face by sending her something special in the mail. I even made the mistake of writing to her on Facebook (twice!) that I was in the process of getting his autograph for her and to be prepared for a surprise in the mail!

So after about an hour and a half his server comes up to me and says that he went and asked Shatner and that he said no, thank you, but that he wasn't going to sign. I was dumbfounded and wasn't sure whether I believed the server, A) cause my bartender told me about something he lied about just the other day regarding something a customer "supposedly" said to him but didn't, and B) the staff guy who told me Shatner was going to be here tonight had said that he had asked Shatner for an autograph for one of his family members in the past and Shatner signed and gave it to him. So, after some encouragement from my bartender lady, I decided to go up to Shatner personally and if he said no he'd say no. So, very scared to do it but mustering up the courage to do so, I went up to his table and said "I'm so sorry, I was just wondering if I could get an autograph from you really quick for my cousin." As I'm asking him each person at the table looks up at me and he is the last to look up which made me feel embarrassed and felt like he was purposely taking his time to look up at me. He then looks at me and says, "I'm sorry, I don't do that." to which I responded very kindly and sincerely, "I'm so sorry, enjoy the rest of your dinners" even though it appeared there were empty dessert plates - I just didn't know what to say and quickly thought of something polite to say. I walked away defeated and couldn't believe he turned me down. A couple of the staff asked if he was nice and I said no, not really. He wasn't necessarily rude but I was still a bit startled and now very disappointed. I remember watching Star Trek with my dad as a little girl!

So long story short, I know the title of this post is harsh (and luckily since it's not an insult of a forum member it doesn't merit a supension) but I just don't get how celebrities don't get the fact that they make a living STRICTLY because of their fans. It's not like a business where people are a fan of a product, in his line of work he makes a living from people who are a fan of HIM. And I can understand if there were gobs and gobs of people pestering him. But I kindly waited until they were done with their dinner and I asked very politely and respectfully. I was just very surprised at the response I got.

No bueno, Mr. Shatner!!! Very disappointed!!! Boo!!!!
OFFICIALLY and justifiably reclaimed my title as SuperHotBlonde!
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
August 12th, 2013 at 9:31:11 PM permalink
I'll reply very obliquely, that I was favorably impressed Penn and Teller graciously signed autographs, took questions and posed for photos with the fans, after their show at the Rio.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
August 12th, 2013 at 9:32:23 PM permalink
He was just feeling feisty
"What, me worry?"
rainman
rainman
  • Threads: 18
August 12th, 2013 at 9:34:38 PM permalink
You asked, he said no. I don't see the problem.
jon
jon
  • Threads: 11
August 12th, 2013 at 9:40:10 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

I'll reply very obliquely, that I was favorably impressed Penn and Teller graciously signed autographs, took questions and posed for photos with the fans, after their show at the Rio.

I would say that is very clever marketing on the part of Penn (who is incredibly smart) & Teller. I've seen their show numerous times and taken pictures with both of them along with everyone else. Those pics end up on Facebook, etc. What a way to generate free publicity for their show!
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
  • Threads: 75
August 12th, 2013 at 10:07:26 PM permalink
The Penn & Teller example is different because they were giving autographs AFTER a show when they knew fans would ask. Shatner was having dinner and didn't expect to be bothered (especially after telling the server that he wouldn't give an autograph).

Situations like this are so tough though. On the one hand, whenever an individual fan sees someone famous, it's a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to ask for an autograph. But on the other hand, from the famous person's perspective, they have to deal with this every single time they go out in public, and I'm sure it gets tiresome.

I would be disappointed too though.
Fighting BS one post at a time!
zippyboy
zippyboy
  • Threads: 2
August 12th, 2013 at 10:10:49 PM permalink
After 45 years of fans pestering him every time he's in public, I'm sure Shatner's had it. On SNL, he's famous for telling his Star Trek convention fans to "get a life". I know he likes horses, so you might've had an 'in' with that approach.

A-Rod's famous for this too. He was a nice guy with the Mariners 20 years ago, but now he shows up to the ballparks surrounded by bodyguards and refuses to sign for any kid who comes up to him, using the bodyguards to keep them distant.

You asked Shatner, he said no, and you backed out gracefully. Good for you! But, if he reads your synopsis here, it'll reinforce why he eschews the public even more. He apparently likes that restaurant and may seek solitude there. He may have scolded the staff afterwards for encouraging you, and may have tipped badly to punish them. Who knows? You tried, and you're probably just embarrassed that you facebooked a prospective success which wasn't forthcoming.
"Poker sure is an easy game to beat if you have the roll to keep rebuying."
HotBlonde
HotBlonde
August 12th, 2013 at 10:12:37 PM permalink
Quote: jon

I would say that is very clever marketing on the part of Penn (who is incredibly smart) & Teller. I've seen their show numerous times and taken pictures with both of them along with everyone else. Those pics end up on Facebook, etc. What a way to generate free publicity for their show!

exactly!!! Doesn't Shatner know that we live in a digital world these days where everybody shares everything? If you end up being not so nice nor approachable people spread the word REAL quick!

My brother, after posting my incident on Facebook, shared this on my post:
George Takei's opinion
djatc
djatc
  • Threads: 83
August 12th, 2013 at 10:13:34 PM permalink
Quote: Beethoven9th

Situations like this are so tough though. On the one hand, whenever an individual fan sees someone famous, it's a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to ask for an autograph. But on the other hand, from the famous person's perspective, they have to deal with this every single time they go out in public, and I'm sure it gets tiresome.

This is exactly what I was going to post. If you get hounded for an autograph or photo every day in every public place you'll get sick of it too. You'll mean well when you decline autographs but the person who asked will think "he's so stuck up"
"Man Babes" #AxelFabulous
HotBlonde
HotBlonde
August 12th, 2013 at 10:15:31 PM permalink
Quote: djatc

This is exactly what I was going to post. If you get hounded for an autograph or photo every day in every public place you'll get sick of it too. You'll mean well when you decline autographs but the person who asked will think "he's so stuck up"

But you have to understand he makes a living off the public, in literally a worldwide way. You can't ask for a job like that and then not take the responsibility for that. No way.
jon
jon
  • Threads: 11
August 12th, 2013 at 10:16:39 PM permalink
Quote: zippyboy

A-Rod's famous for this too. He was a nice guy with the Mariners 20 years ago, but now he shows up to the ballparks surrounded by bodyguards and refuses to sign for any kid who comes up to him, using the bodyguards to keep them distant.

Some athletes refuse to sign autographs because it brings the value down of their memorabilia, in fact I think it is in some contracts that the players cannot sign autographs. Of course A-Rod found another way to bring down the value of his autographs...
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
August 12th, 2013 at 10:19:18 PM permalink
Quote: HotBlonde

But you have to understand he makes a living off the public, in literally a worldwide way. You can't ask for a job like that and then not take the responsibility for that. No way.

He makes his living of TV and films and probably done plenty of that. Sometimes he'll want a night off, just like I want a night off testing software. Yeah it sucks, to wait so long, but he's within his rights to have a night off, ask not to be disturbed and enjoy his friends. If he'd totally blanked you, or ripped up the autogrpah book, he'd be a jerk... tonight he just wanted to be Bill Shatner with his buddies.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
August 12th, 2013 at 10:20:16 PM permalink
He's old.

His life is winding down, his career is long past its prime.

What's in it for him?
"What, me worry?"
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
August 12th, 2013 at 10:23:39 PM permalink
deleted
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
August 12th, 2013 at 10:24:38 PM permalink
Quote: MrV

What's in it for him?

HotBlonde!
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
HotBlonde
HotBlonde
August 12th, 2013 at 10:30:27 PM permalink
OMG what a strange coincidence (serendipity, perhaps?!) I just got home and continued watching an interview that I was watching earlier of Larry King on Sharon Stone and he asked her a question and she told him it was none of his business and he responded with, "What do you mean none of my business? Your business is our business. You belong to the public." Wow. Thanks Larry for having my back! ;)
EdgeLooker
EdgeLooker
  • Threads: 21
August 12th, 2013 at 10:32:00 PM permalink
Quote from Will Smith:

(on fame) There are members of the press who make their living infringing on people's private moments. You never know where these people are going to be. They stay outside your house and climb the gates and walk around looking in your windows. Now I've got a bunch of 140-pound Rottweilers. It's just a shame to have to live like that, because I like people so much. Still, you don't know what people will do. You can never feel completely safe. You've got to look around all the time. I'm kind of used to that, being black, watching out for white people coming to get you. Now it's tenfold...I'm having trouble dealing with the concept that you sacrifice your right to courtesy by being a celebrity. Because I'm a celebrity, someone is allowed to block my way from getting into my car. If I'm in the middle of a conversation, because I'm a celebrity, someone can come up to me and go, 'Can you sign this?' You're supposed to do the nice thing and sign, because if you don't, it's like, 'He's such an asshole. He doesn't sign autographs.' You're in mid-gulp at a restaurant and people ask you to put down your fork, take some dirty pen that you have no idea of where it's been, sign some filthy piece of paper ripped off a paper bag they found outside, then go back and put your hands in your food. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000226/bio#quotes
HotBlonde
HotBlonde
August 12th, 2013 at 10:57:34 PM permalink
Quote:

They stay outside your house and climb the gates and walk around looking in your windows.

Ok that's intusive, and possibly illegal, and not even close to what I did.

Quote:

I'm having trouble dealing with the concept that you sacrifice your right to courtesy by being a celebrity.

I was very courteous, so still not an example of my behavior.

Quote:

If I'm in the middle of a conversation, because I'm a celebrity, someone can come up to me and go, 'Can you sign this?' You're supposed to do the nice thing and sign, because if you don't, it's like, 'He's such an asshole. He doesn't sign autographs.'

So why wouldn't a celebrity just choose to be nice and just do it? Is it really so much easier NOT to be nice?

Quote:

You're in mid-gulp at a restaurant and people ask you to put down your fork, take some dirty pen that you have no idea of where it's been, sign some filthy piece of paper ripped off a paper bag they found outside, then go back and put your hands in your food.

That's an exaggeration, and to the negative extreme. How about all those fans that have made you a multi-millionaire and world-wide A-list celebrity? Not looking at it that way? Then that's why celebrities are complaining, they can't claim stupidity and say they didn't know that this is what they would expect when they sook out fame. In fact this is EXACTLY what they expected, hence the definition of fame. Why ask for something, get exactly what you ask for (which is very rare, almost as rare as winning the lottery) and then bitch about it? My god, there are seriously WAY worse things in this world! These people should be ashamed and count their blessings!!
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 212
August 12th, 2013 at 10:57:53 PM permalink
He is 80 years old more or less and if he doesn't want to be bothered, go on Ebay. I look at the situation with there being billions of people in the world and only one William Shatner, so you have to take what you can get. Everyone can't possibly meet him and get an autograph.
I am a robot.
DeMango
DeMango
  • Threads: 36
August 12th, 2013 at 11:02:22 PM permalink
Reminds me of the time someone backed out of dinner.

As of two years ago a friend at work got an A Rod autograph at Tropicana field.
When a rock is thrown into a pack of dogs, the one that yells the loudest is the one who got hit.
HotBlonde
HotBlonde
August 12th, 2013 at 11:08:51 PM permalink
Imagine a parent who says, "God, I can't wait to be a parent! I look forward to my bundle of joy!" and expect it all to be bliss. Really? How about the baby (at least initially) crying half of the time, the shitty diapers you have to change, the temper tantrums, having to constantly tell them no, experiencing resistance from them, then them finding ways to get around your commands, lying to you, rebelling in their teenage years, doing their own thing despite your fervent attempts to bring them up right. Yet experiences with children really aren't all blissful. There's the good and the bad. But when you decide to be a parent, when you make that choice, you have to accept all of it. There is not one without the other.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
August 12th, 2013 at 11:32:52 PM permalink
Shatner never signs autographs, why would he sign yours.
He signs his books at book signings, he signs stuff for money,
but he's not an 'asshole' because he didn't jump thru your hoop
for you. Many famous people rerfuse to sign. Get over it.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
August 12th, 2013 at 11:32:59 PM permalink
Article on 15 stars who are opposed to autographs which includes William Shatner.

I remember Paul Newman said he quit signing autographs when someone interrupted him at the urinal mid-stream to ask for his autograph.

HotBlonde
HotBlonde
August 12th, 2013 at 11:58:10 PM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

15 stars who are opposed to autographs

Paul McCartney & Ringo Starr?? :'(

I'll get them... just you watch... I'll get them.

Steve Carrell and Will Ferrel? :(

Tobey Maguire... unexpected.

John C. Riley.. I'm not surprised. The guy I was dating during my weigh-in told me he saw JCR and asked for his autograph (I actually had told him he looked like JCR) and he told me how he was turned down by him as well. So this rumor is true!
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
August 13th, 2013 at 12:50:25 AM permalink
I saw lot of celebrities when I lived in Santa Barbara. It
never occurred to me to interupt them. Its rude and
selfish. I would have told you to piss off if I was Shatner,
he's more of a gentleman than me apparently.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
HotBlonde
HotBlonde
August 13th, 2013 at 12:51:20 AM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

I would have told you to piss off if I was Shatner,
he's more of a gentleman than me apparently.

apparently
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
  • Threads: 75
August 13th, 2013 at 1:16:05 AM permalink

Quote: pacomartin

15 stars who are opposed to autographs

Paul McCartney & Ringo Starr?? :'(

I'll get them... just you watch... I'll get them.

Steve Carrell and Will Ferrel? :(

Tobey Maguire... unexpected.

John C. Riley.. I'm not surprised. The guy I was dating during my weigh-in told me he saw JCR and asked for his autograph (I actually had told him he looked like JCR) and he told me how he was turned down by him as well. So this rumor is true!

I laughed when I saw the list. Steve Carell, Cameron Diaz, Tobey Maguire, Rosie O'Donnell, Will Ferrell, and John C. Reilly should be flattered that anyone even wants their autograph.
Fighting BS one post at a time!
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
August 13th, 2013 at 1:32:35 AM permalink
For what might be a different take on all this, I have a lot of astronaut autographs/memorabilia, but one I could never get was Neil Armstrong. He signed a few before he went to the moon, and a few after, but then he found out people were asking him to do it just to turn around and sell them, so for the last 40 years of his life he refused all requests, for anyone, and any amount of money. He was deeply offended that something he felt was a lifetime gift to him (getting to be the first man on the moon) was being turned into a commercial transaction. He never did commercials or traded on his fame in later years, either. Of course, that meant his authenticated autograph is now worth tens of thousands of dollars in some places, so it didn't work.

I went to the 100th celebration of flight dinner in DC and was lucky enough to sit next to the head table, where John Travolta and John Glenn were, and they were both gracious enough to sign my wine bottle. In fact, Travolta stood next to me for almost an hour as a line of people approached him to say hello; he was incredibly kind about it. So were Buzz Aldrin and John Young (2nd man on the moon and first shuttle pilot commander, respectively). Almost all the top aviators were there as well. But Neil refused his invitation, like he did all others. (Not sure where Chuck Yeager was that night, but I'd gotten his in 1996 when he visited us, so I didn't miss him much, except he deserved to be there more than anybody. Others did miss him.)
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
HotBlonde
HotBlonde
August 13th, 2013 at 2:12:08 AM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

For what might be a different take on all this, I have a lot of astronaut autographs/memorabilia, but one I could never get was Neil Armstrong. He signed a few before he went to the moon, and a few after, but then he found out people were asking him to do it just to turn around and sell them, so for the last 40 years of his life he refused all requests, for anyone, and any amount of money. He was deeply offended that something he felt was a lifetime gift to him (getting to be the first man on the moon) was being turned into a commercial transaction. He never did commercials or traded on his fame in later years, either. Of course, that meant his authenticated autograph is now worth tens of thousands of dollars in some places, so it didn't work.

I went to the 100th celebration of flight dinner in DC and was lucky enough to sit next to the head table, where John Travolta and John Glenn were, and they were both gracious enough to sign my wine bottle. In fact, Travolta stood next to me for almost an hour as a line of people approached him to say hello; he was incredibly kind about it. So were Buzz Aldrin and John Young (2nd man on the moon and first shuttle pilot commander, respectively). Almost all the top aviators were there as well. But Neil refused his invitation, like he did all others. (Not sure where Chuck Yeager was that night, but I'd gotten his in 1996 when he visited us, so I didn't miss him much, except he deserved to be there more than anybody. Others did miss him.)

See the difference between graciousness and just being an asshole? You watch someone on screen who becomes a part of your life and even becomes a hero, a mentor... a real part of your life. And you can instantly meet them and BAM!... the façade just diminishes before your eyes. Happened to me when I was in college. Very sad and a huge let-down.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
August 13th, 2013 at 2:46:09 AM permalink

So I've been coming to this restaurant by my house for a while now. I love the staff and they love me.

Yes, I know the staff love you. I've sent that restaurant faxes almost daily to approach you and have you come work in my nearby whorehouse entertainment establishment but they've just quietly let you eat your meals in peace and have a nice time there. I've asked when you might next be in, but they've protected your privacy and never told me anything about you.

Aren't you glad the staff love you so? Don't you think Mr. Shatner is equally entitled to a little love from the restaurant staff and to be allowed to eat his meals in peace and quiet and not have anything revealed about his comings and goings?

Note: For the best about autographs, see the opening sequence of In A Lonely Place. (The film I mean. Although the book was a best seller it was totally different than the film).
DeMango
DeMango
  • Threads: 36
August 13th, 2013 at 3:09:04 AM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

Yes, I know the staff love you. I've sent that restaurant faxes almost daily to approach you and have you come work in my nearby whorehouse entertainment establishment but they've just quietly let you eat your meals in peace and have a nice time there. I've asked when you might next be in, but they've protected your privacy and never told me anything about you.

What a romantic suitor!
When a rock is thrown into a pack of dogs, the one that yells the loudest is the one who got hit.
1BB
1BB
August 13th, 2013 at 3:17:52 AM permalink
I think it may be time for Mr. Shatner to find a new restaurant where he can dine in peace and not be betrayed by the help or accosted by the public.

I have been in the company of more celebrities than I can remember, not by choice, and have never even considered asking for an autograph or photo. I don't begrudge those who do but it's not for me.
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
  • Threads: 51
August 13th, 2013 at 3:25:38 AM permalink

I tend to disagree. He is an (over) actor and made some money doing that job but the bulk of his fortune came from getting paid stock options for doing the priceline.com commercials. It's pretty widely known that the Shat isn't a people person. He may make his living from entertaining but that doesn't obligate him to press the flesh. It might help his career to do a little hand kissing and baby shaking but at this point in his life, why should he bother or even feel obligated? He's a bitter 'get-off-my-lawn' old man and should get as much privacy or solitude as he desires.
Someday, joor goin' to see the name of Googie Gomez in lights and joor goin' to say to joorself, "Was that her?" and then joor goin' to answer to joorself, "That was her!" But you know somethin' mister? I was always her yuss nobody knows it! - Googie Gomez
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
August 13th, 2013 at 3:28:53 AM permalink
If you are in the company of celebrities they generally appreciate it if you treat them normally. If you chance upon them, this usually means leaving them alone, not pointing or staring, etc.

If they catch my gaze I might allow myself a wry smile, then look away.

There are other circumstances. Obviously if they show up somewhere to sell a book, they know everyone will want their copy signed, it's expected. From that circumstance to others the propriety of expecting them to autograph something falls quickly. It's mortifying for you and them both to get this wrong.

I'd say asking for an autograph while they are in a restaurant was just a bad idea. Sorry!

PS: there have been some times I have encountered a somewhat publicly known person who could hardly be considered a celebrity and noticed they were very phobic about any contact with the public at all. Once I saw the author P.J. O'rourke at an airport waiting for a flight. I had just recognized him from about 20 feet away and he caught my gaze and instantly frowned before I could politely avert it. It surprised me to get this reaction because his fame must be pretty much limited to certain circles. I'd expect a fair number of people reading this post would have to google him.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
Beardgoat
Beardgoat
  • Threads: 29
August 13th, 2013 at 3:34:10 AM permalink
Pretty selfish... Shat won't sign an autograph for me so I'm going to post about it online for thousands to see.... And HE is the asshole. I am not surprised
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
August 13th, 2013 at 3:40:32 AM permalink
William Shatner probably doesn't sign autographs for the same reason that, when I visit a big city, I don't go to a bridge under which homeless people reside and hand the first one I see a five-spot. It's a good way to turn every public outing you ever have into an autograph session.

Could you imagine the life of a major celebrity? I just came off of the back porch where I was smoking a cigarette, 6:30 in the morning, imagine there being people walking around looking for me to come outside so they can grab some pictures of me in my pajama bottoms, lighting up the Marlboro Black Menthol, sitting down on my porch chair....giving the old chest hair a scratch. Now, I have to go to the grocery store later, line of people between me and my car both on the way to the store and when I get there, flashbulbs all over the place, people following me around for autographs. Fans of mine all shouting compliments that I have heard a thousand times before, making bad jokes that I have heard a thousand times before, people who don't like my work shouting insults I have heard one thousand times before. Done at the store, bunch of people between me and my car through which I have to wade.

I think I would find the whole thing amusing for maybe two hours, and then after that I'd be completely sick of it. I'd certainly live with that kind of lifestyle for the money that goes along with it, but at the same time, I wouldn't do anything to encourage anyone to behave that way toward me who wasn't already going to do so.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
August 13th, 2013 at 3:44:02 AM permalink
Quote: jon

Some athletes refuse to sign autographs because it brings the value down of their memorabilia, in fact I think it is in some contracts that the players cannot sign autographs. Of course A-Rod found another way to bring down the value of his autographs...

I'm not sure that it is in their contracts, but their agents often get them to limit signings. I was once at a banquet with Vinny Pazienza among others as celebrity speakers. He willingly signed autographs, supposedly loves doing it, but prefaced the fulfillment of the request with, "My agent is going to kill me....." Yes, each and every autograph they sign reduces the value of the next one they can sign. And many of the, know deep down that there is a good chance the person only wants it to be able to take it to the "Gold and Silver Pawn Shop."

Back to the post. The "asshole" here is the person who thought it was no big deal to interrupt a person at dinner with their friends.

I have autographed photos from Don Schula and Walter Payton. I have them because my company paid them about $10,000 to show up and talk to us, then sign the autographs. Also a signed card from Barry Foster, who was doing a paid signing. I have met other athletes from time to time, mostly through my dealing gigs. I would never ask them to sign an autograph. In most cases I barley talked about them and sports at all. Besides the fact that I would never work again, it just seems plain rude. At most I might quickly thank them for their good play, or ask if they were feeling better from an injury. But just a sentence or two and only if we had occasion to be talking anyways, because I was dealing their table and knew who they were; because we were sitting on an airplane near each other; or something like that.

But to plainly interrupt them when they were at dinner with friends? NEVER.

There is a very funny episode of "Just Shoot Me" where Mark Hamill gets tired of this and takes revenge.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
treetopbuddy
treetopbuddy
  • Threads: 34
August 13th, 2013 at 3:50:42 AM permalink
Looks like OP's Star Trek junk is going on eBay
Each day is better than the next
HotBlonde
HotBlonde
August 13th, 2013 at 3:55:29 AM permalink
Quote: Mission146

William Shatner probably doesn't sign autographs for the same reason that, when I visit a big city, I don't go to a bridge under which homeless people reside and hand the first one I see a five-spot. It's a good way to turn every public outing you ever have into an autograph session.

Could you imagine the life of a major celebrity? I just came off of the back porch where I was smoking a cigarette, 6:30 in the morning, imagine there being people walking around looking for me to come outside so they can grab some pictures of me in my pajama bottoms, lighting up the Marlboro Black Menthol, sitting down on my porch chair....giving the old chest hair a scratch. Now, I have to go to the grocery store later, line of people between me and my car both on the way to the store and when I get there, flashbulbs all over the place, people following me around for autographs. Fans of mine all shouting compliments that I have heard a thousand times before, making bad jokes that I have heard a thousand times before, people who don't like my work shouting insults I have heard one thousand times before. Done at the store, bunch of people between me and my car through which I have to wade.

I think I would find the whole thing amusing for maybe two hours, and then after that I'd be completely sick of it. I'd certainly live with that kind of lifestyle for the money that goes along with it, but at the same time, I wouldn't do anything to encourage anyone to behave that way toward me who wasn't already going to do so.

But again, isn't anyone asking to be famous asking for this famous lifestyle?
1BB
1BB
August 13th, 2013 at 4:20:37 AM permalink
My brother lived a few houses down from the Wood family when New Kids on the Block were at the height of their fame. The fans/stalkers surrounded the house 24/7 screaming for Danny to come outside. This good, down to earth family was held prisoner in their own home and no, they did not ask for it. The street was constantly blocked and littered with trash all because these people thought it was their right.

It was the same at the homes of the other kids. Shame on the parents who drove their kids there and dropped them off for the day. It was ridiculous and you could spot license plates from almost every state in the country as well as Canada.
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
EdgeLooker
EdgeLooker
  • Threads: 21
August 13th, 2013 at 4:37:56 AM permalink
http://static.fjcdn.com/pictures/Shatner_4adb33_554147.jpg

Found an autograph fan site/forum at http://www.fanmail.biz/11980.html

Fan Mail Address:

William Shatner
TalentWorks
3500 West Olive Avenue
Suite 1400
Burbank, CA 91505-5512
USA

How to send your fan mail and autograph requests to William Shatner?:

If you want to request an autograph, follow the guidelines bellow. If you just want to mail a letter with the address above, and do not want anything back, then you can stop reading! If you live in USA send a properly stamped and self addressed envelope (minimum size 8.5" x 4") with your request letter and a photo. You can include a piece of cardboard to keep the photo from bending in shipping and also add "Do Not Bend" on the envelopes. Send your letter and wait. On average, there is going to be a 3+ month wait for a response.
ewjones080
ewjones080
  • Threads: 33
August 13th, 2013 at 4:38:28 AM permalink
Here's a funny story.. I live literally 15 miles from James T. Kirk's birthplace and every summer they have a Trek Fest. One year I think it's Shatner that's making a documentary about it and drives around with a guy I work with... He said Shatner was kind of an ass to him and the movie was making fun of the Fest'ers even though Shatner tells him he's serious. He didn't enjoy his time with Shatner.... Strangely there's a local law firm that hired him for a commercial as well.. Always thought that was kinda weird..
jetermacaw
jetermacaw
  • Threads: 1
August 13th, 2013 at 4:44:49 AM permalink
A little story from chidhhood. My dad brought me to my first Yankee game in the summer of 1961. He had a 1956 Plymouth with the shifter on the column, what a ride for the first time over the GW Bridge. Hung around after the game and as we were walking back to the card we passed the players gate as some players were leaving. All the other kids were screaming for the players autographs but I didn't have pen or pencil, my Dad says men shake hands. That summer afternoon in 1961 I shook Mantle and Maris hand and got a smile from both.
treetopbuddy
treetopbuddy
  • Threads: 34
August 13th, 2013 at 4:52:16 AM permalink
Quote: jetermacaw

my Dad says men shake hands. That summer afternoon in 1961 I shook Mantle and Maris hand and got a smile from both.

Your dad was right on..... wow Mantle and Maris .....I played golf with Mantle in late 70's....... getting his autograph never crossed my mind.
Each day is better than the next
boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
August 13th, 2013 at 5:03:07 AM permalink
I'm a giant fan of Shatner, have been since I was a kid. Star Trek made me interested in science and from then age of 7, a Canadian boy was more interested in reruns of Star Trek over playing hockey, much to my dad's profound (and understandable) disappointment. My major in University is Astronomy and Physics thanks to the inspirations of Mr. Spock and Captain Kirk.

That said, Shatner is over 80 years old. Late last year, he came to do his one man show near us and I won free tickets. Unfortunately it was the same weekend that Shania was playing in Vegas and I had already booked tickets with my daughter, so my best friends got the tickets, which included "coffee" with Shatner before the show. They didn't go to the coffee portion, and I was extremely disappointed. And they didn't get autographs either -- he wasn't signing.

As for Shania, my daughter (a short lifetime fan) wanted very much to meet her, and we wrote letters to her promoters and to Shania herself asking if she could somehow get on stage for the show (Shania pulls about a half-dozen fans out of the audience to do a sing-along). They responded and said that they couldn't do anything for her, and lo-and-behold, when the sing-along came and went, my teenaged daughter was reduced to a pile of tears because Shania (her husband, actaully) didn't pick her!

But despite all of this, Shania Twain and William Shatner are just people.

It's great that you asked nicely, but it would be completely understandable that an 80+ year old man doesn't want to sign an autograph in one of his places of respite. A man is entitled to a private life. He said, "I'm sorry, I don't do that", and that's a fair response. He's out with friends. He was asked earlier by a bartender and already politely said "no".

He no longer serves the public. His career is done. He's made his money.

Take a photo next time.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
HotBlonde
HotBlonde
August 13th, 2013 at 5:08:04 AM permalink
Quote: boymimbo

Take a photo next time.

Well, being that I didn't even get a "quick" autograph from him, I don't see how in any way he would have obliged to a photo with him.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
August 13th, 2013 at 5:33:16 AM permalink

But again, isn't anyone asking to be famous asking for this famous lifestyle?

NO!

I think it was Joe DiMaggio who they said was "king of room service" because being naturally shy he didn't like the attention and hounding. Remember, they are people just like you and I are. Some people are naturally friendly and will talk to and, and sign for anyone, anytime. Some are happy to do so when they are at an event of some sort or even "on duty." Richard Petty is known to be willing to sign autographs because he well remembers when his sport was a dirt track and you treated the fans as customers; but they say don't ask him to stop what he is doing, if he is walking you need to keep up because he is still "at work." And some don't want to be hassled, or may just be tired of being hassled.

Shatner "asked" to star in a TV Series. He didn't "ask" to be hounded anyplace he goes by fans. It is simple respect for other people to not interrupt them at dinner and otherwise hound them.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
CrystalMath
CrystalMath
  • Threads: 8
August 13th, 2013 at 5:33:48 AM permalink
Kudos to Shatner. He doesn't owe you a thing.

This reminds me of when my kids say "but, Dad, I even said please." I tell them that just because they were polite doesn't mean I have to agree. I'm sure that sometimes they even go to Facebook to let their friends know how much of an asshole I am... brats ;)
I heart Crystal Math.
HotBlonde
HotBlonde
August 13th, 2013 at 5:41:49 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Shatner "asked" to star in a TV Series. He didn't "ask" to be hounded anyplace he goes by fans. It is simple respect for other people to not interrupt them at dinner and otherwise hound them.

Honestly? He asked to be in a TV series but never, ever be recognized or be asked for his autograph? Ok. Sure. And your definition of hounding? I don't feel I hounded him in that case. I, in all honestly, don't see how I could've been more polite than I was. Were I a celebrity, perhaps he would've come out of his "shell" and obliged. But one will never know.

(Unless, of course, I myself achieve celebrity status, which I have no desire to do so, so we REALLY may never know.)
boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
August 13th, 2013 at 6:45:31 AM permalink
Polite and nice as you may be, polite and nice was he as well. He said, "Sorry, I don't do that".

He didn't tell you to stick the pen up your ass or to f-off. It was a pleasant response and one that he has probably given thousands of times before when he's been out for dinner. And given that he was already asked before and said "no", he had a right to be perturbed by being asked again.

Look on the bright side. William Shatner acknowledged your existence. That's way better than 99.9% of the other people on the planet and more than what I have.

He doesn't owe you anything. You could have easily turned that autograph into a $10 sale on E-Bay.

Gotta stick up for my Canadians.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
  • Jump to: