100xOdds
100xOdds
  • Threads: 638
March 18th, 2012 at 12:03:28 PM permalink
i was close enuf to the crosswalk when the light turned yellow that i thought it'd be safer to go pass than hard brake.

just as i crossed the crosswalk, the yellow turned red.
WTF?! 1sec yellows around here?

anyway, any red light cameras in Vegas?
Craps is paradise (Pair of dice). Lets hear it for the SpeedCount Mathletes :)
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 46
March 18th, 2012 at 12:35:20 PM permalink
You'll probably be getting the ticket/bill in the mail. Hope you had your video camera running to be able to prove that it was a 1 sec yellow.
QuadDeuces
QuadDeuces
  • Threads: 25
March 18th, 2012 at 12:54:33 PM permalink
I haven't seen any. Was there a flash?
PopCan
PopCan
  • Threads: 1
March 18th, 2012 at 1:04:02 PM permalink
I'm not sure if it varies from state-to-state but where I live you must be behind the line, whatever that line is defined as, when the light is red and then cross over the line at a speed greater than 10mph. This applies to traffic cops and red light cameras. I also did a bit of googling and found this:

Quote:

2.5.2.5 Minimum Yellow Phase Duration
The RLCS shall not save event information or otherwise activate when the yellow
phase duration is less than 3 seconds, when tested in accordance with §5.5.2.5.

That's from page 13 of the NHTSA's guide for manufacturers of red light camera systems.

I think you're just being a bit paranoid though. If you didn't notice a camera system it probably wasn't there.
QuadDeuces
QuadDeuces
March 18th, 2012 at 1:38:33 PM permalink
A good rule of thumb for the line is the line formed by the near curbs of the perpendicular road you are crossing. If you see yellow while you're "in the intersection" you should be good. Not that you won't get a ticket, but you should have a fighting chance. I am not a lawyer and I have no idea if case histories bear this out. The prohibited act is "entering the intersection" when the light is red.

Pertinent sections of NRS:

Quote:

NRS: 484B.307 6. Where the signal is a steady yellow signal alone:

(a) Vehicular traffic facing the signal is thereby warned that the related green movement is being terminated or that a steady red indication will be exhibited immediately thereafter, and such vehicular traffic must not enter the intersection when the red signal is exhibited.

Quote:

NRS 484A.105 “Intersection” defined. “Intersection” means:

1. The area embraced within the prolongation or connection of the lateral curb lines, or, if none, then the lateral boundary lines of the roadways of two highways which join one another at, or approximately at, right angles, or the area within which vehicles traveling upon different highways joining at any other angle may come in conflict.

2. Where a highway includes two roadways 30 feet or more apart, then every crossing of each roadway of such divided highway by an intersecting highway shall be regarded as a separate intersection. In the event such intersecting highway also includes two roadways 30 feet or more apart, then every crossing of two roadways of such highways shall be regarded as a separate intersection.

3. The junction of an alley with a street, road or highway shall not constitute an intersection.

(Added to NRS by 1969, 1478)—(Substituted in revision for NRS 484.073)

EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
March 18th, 2012 at 2:01:21 PM permalink
There was a 2004 episode of the TV show Las Vegas and it
was about one of the characters getting a ticket from a red
light camera. I always assumed they were in Vegas.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
QuadDeuces
QuadDeuces
March 18th, 2012 at 2:11:53 PM permalink
Hmm. This site says there are four.

http://www.photoenforced.com/las-vegas.html

I'll try to remember to verify the one near Texas Station next time I'm up that way.
boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
March 18th, 2012 at 2:28:59 PM permalink
There are seven states that do not allow ticketing for red light cameras:

Nevada: Nevada prohibits the use of all imaging equipment unless it is hand held by an officer or installed in a vehicle or facility of a law enforcement agency. The Nevada Senate (last year) rejected the proposal to install red light cameras due to the belief that it eliminates a citizen’s right to due process essentially; the citizen is guilty until proven innocent rather than vice versa.

Maine, Mississippi, Montana, New Hampshire, West Virginia, and Wisconsin are the other 6 states.

There are red-light cameras in Nevada, but you can't get ticketed. They're for study related purposes.

So, no red light cameras in Nevada.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
Tiltpoul
Tiltpoul
  • Threads: 32
March 18th, 2012 at 2:35:23 PM permalink
Quote: boymimbo

Nevada: Nevada prohibits the use of all imaging equipment unless it is hand held by an officer or installed in a vehicle or facility of a law enforcement agency. The Nevada Senate (last year) rejected the proposal to install red light cameras due to the belief that it eliminates a citizen’s right to due process essentially; the citizen is guilty until proven innocent rather than vice versa.

I'm guessing that a lobbyist for taxicab companies managed to get that stopped. I can't tell you how many cabs I've been in Vegas that drove somewhat recklessly through red lights.
"One out of every four people are [morons]"- Kyle, South Park
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
March 18th, 2012 at 3:33:57 PM permalink
Quote: Tiltpoul

I'm guessing that a lobbyist for taxicab companies managed to get that stopped. I can't tell you how many cabs I've been in Vegas that drove somewhat recklessly through red lights.

Red lights are the bane of cab driving. The meter
runs when you're stopped, but you don't don't
make diddly. It drives some people insane when
the meter ticks off if you're at a red light. They'll
writhe around in the back seat and even moan
sometimes. They say things like "Can't you shuts
dat meter off? Dat meter is killin me!" Lots of fun
driving a cab...
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
sunrise089
sunrise089
  • Threads: 6
March 18th, 2012 at 3:35:24 PM permalink
Quote: Tiltpoul

Good for them ;) Too bad in most states the camera manufacturer and operator lobbies are stronger...
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
March 18th, 2012 at 3:55:48 PM permalink
When AZ had them you could not miss that the intersection had one. This was just 5 years ago, so I doubt they have gotten much smaller. Plus the city wanted you to know there was one there. In any state I saw them (AZ/CA) there was plenty of signage.

In addition I once met a guy who sold them for a living in a bar. (How on earth I manage to meet a never-ending stream of people in weird jobs like this at bars I will never know, EB any idea why from your bar-owning daye?) Anyways, he told me there would always be a red-line across the intersection. Sort of a point-of-n--return and this line was both where the camera got triggered and where the courts would find you guilty. After I met him and learned this I noticed the red lines. They were not in such a place as if you just nugged at the crosswalk they would go off, they were almost always a few feet beyond it.

As a side note this guy initally refused to tell me what he did. Said a few times in bars he was nearly in a fight over the things. He sold all kinds of traffic devices, but this one caused the most issues.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
Tiltpoul
Tiltpoul
  • Threads: 32
March 18th, 2012 at 4:28:05 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Red lights are the bane of cab driving. The meterruns when you're stopped, but you don't don't make diddly. It drives some people insane when the meter ticks off if you're at a red light. They'll writhe around in the back seat and even moan sometimes. They say things like "Can't you shuts dat meter off? Dat meter is killin me!" Lots of fun driving a cab...

I guess it depends on the driver. When I've been in Vegas, they seem more concerned about getting more fares and maybe can tell I tip when I get out of the cab. If a driver does a poor job, I tip less. If I feel my life was in danger though, that's not a good thing.
"One out of every four people are [morons]"- Kyle, South Park
ahiromu
ahiromu
  • Threads: 112
March 18th, 2012 at 4:37:08 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

When AZ had them you could not miss that the intersection had one. This was just 5 years ago, so I doubt they have gotten much smaller. Plus the city wanted you to know there was one there. In any state I saw them (AZ/CA) there was plenty of signage.

In Seattle you are usually, if not always, warned with a sign. I'm not sure if it's applicable when it comes to red light cameras, but we are a two party consent state so even if you don't have a reasonable expectation of privacy when it comes to telephone/video surveillance all parties must be made aware. It seems logical this would apply to red light cameras also, but you never know.

The "Las Vegas" episode is a pretty good one, it centers around James Caan's character (who is the undisputed surveillance and security king) getting busted for running a red light.
Its - Possessive; It's - "It is" / "It has"; There - Location; Their - Possessive; They're - "They are"
AlanRRT
AlanRRT
  • Threads: 1
March 18th, 2012 at 6:37:01 PM permalink
I once blew right through a red light on the strip (stone cold sober) because all the lights on the strip made it hard to see the traffic light. No ticket, so I can vouch for at least one intersection on the strip doesn't have red light cameras.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1491
March 18th, 2012 at 6:42:53 PM permalink
They have cameras at just about every light but I've never heard of anyone getting a ticket from them. I think they are either used to monitor traffic, or just decoys.

Personally, I support red light cameras.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
  • Jump to: