EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
January 13th, 2011 at 6:29:06 PM permalink
MKL should do quite well, he has the same IQ (190) as chess grandmaster Garry Kasparov. Bobby Fischer, on the other hand, was only in the 150 IQ range. MKL obviously could have mopped the floor with him. Piece of cake.. Isaac Newton reportedly had an IQ of 190 also. Imagine Newton and MKL having a conversation, we mere mortals can only gasp at the possibilities.. Sigh.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
mkl654321
mkl654321
  • Threads: 65
January 13th, 2011 at 7:45:02 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

MKL should do quite well, he has the same IQ (190) as chess grandmaster Garry Kasparov. Bobby Fischer, on the other hand, was only in the 150 IQ range. MKL obviously could have mopped the floor with him. Piece of cake.. Isaac Newton reportedly had an IQ of 190 also. Imagine Newton and MKL having a conversation, we mere mortals can only gasp at the possibilities.. Sigh.

I know that you and others scoff at that IQ figure. But the truth is, you don't know one way or the other--and the measure of IQ has varied throughout the years. If Fischer tested 150, that may have been equal to Kasparov testing 190 many years later. I tested 190 probably halfway between the times those two took their tests. It's all somewhat subjective--so it's kind of silly to make sarcastic remarks about it, unless you're simply calling me a liar---are you?

In any case, measured IQ only roughly correlates to chess ability. Fischer was something of an idiot savant, with badly developed verbal and social skills. He was ONLY a chessplayer, in other words. Kasparov is a gifted writer and is well-versed on a wide range of subjects. The estimate of Newton's IQ is just that--an estimate--but based on his works and theories, his intellect would have towered over that of Kasparov, or of myself. So if eother Kasparov or I am at 190, I'd say Newton belongs at, say, 220 or 230 (and before anyone makes a snarky comment about the relatively small difference, they should realize that the IQ scale is basically logarithmic, so a person with an IQ of 150 is much more than 1 1/2 times smarter than a person with an IQ of 100).
The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. The happiness of credulity is a cheap and dangerous quality.---George Bernard Shaw
EvenBob
EvenBob
January 13th, 2011 at 7:47:02 PM permalink
Quote: mkl654321

I know that you and others scoff at that IQ figure. But the truth is, you don't know one way or the other--.

LOL! Sure we do...
mkl654321
mkl654321
January 13th, 2011 at 7:58:03 PM permalink

LOL! Sure we do...

And what is that scoffing based on? Do you have any OBJECTIVE measure of my intelligence? (And I don't mean the fact that my political views disagree with yours.)

Or is all you can do is say "LOL" over and over? (Remember, I said OBJECTIVE measure, not just what you think.)
The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. The happiness of credulity is a cheap and dangerous quality.---George Bernard Shaw
EvenBob
EvenBob
January 13th, 2011 at 8:04:28 PM permalink

And what is that scoffing based on?

Good grief. You must be joking.

Never mind...
mkl654321
mkl654321
January 13th, 2011 at 8:06:05 PM permalink

Good grief. You must be joking.

Never mind...

No, I'm quite serious, Bob. When someone calls me a liar, I want to know is what their basis for doing so. Particularly when they have no way of telling whether I'm lying or not.
EvenBob
EvenBob
January 13th, 2011 at 8:12:11 PM permalink

No, I'm quite serious, Bob. When someone calls me a liar

I never said you're lying. Maybe you really believe it. Why worry about it, bask in the glory that only a few people out of the 6 billion on the planet are smarter than you. I'd love to go to bed at night thinking Einstein and Hawking couldn't stand in my shadow.
mkl654321
mkl654321
January 13th, 2011 at 8:32:44 PM permalink

I never said you're lying. Maybe you really believe it. Why worry about it, bask in the glory that only a few people out of the 6 billion on the planet are smarter than you. I'd love to go to bed at night thinking Einstein and Hawking couldn't stand in my shadow.

Wow, Bob. What a weaseling little reply. You call me a liar and then back away from it.
mkl654321
mkl654321
January 13th, 2011 at 8:33:23 PM permalink
Sorry, everybody. Back to chess.
EvenBob
EvenBob
January 13th, 2011 at 9:15:32 PM permalink

You call me a liar and then back away from it.

If you really believe it, you're not lying. I had a crazy great aunt who thought she was still in grade school. We never argued with her.
petro
petro
  • Threads: 17
January 24th, 2011 at 11:41:36 AM permalink
Sorry I haven't logged on for a few weeks. Now I suddenly find myself entered into a chess tournament w/o my consent???
I'll re-read these posts and see if I want to enter.
It all depends where and when this tournament will be played.
petro
petro
January 24th, 2011 at 11:41:36 AM permalink
omg double post??? this has happened to me before...
petro
petro
January 24th, 2011 at 11:47:27 AM permalink
Okay, you can count me in. I will only play if Wizard does though.
Make sure all times are in GMT so everyone can understand what the times are.
I also need verification of where the tourney is gonna be played. Yahoo Chess would be an easy place to host it.
Players on this forum should post their yahoo chess names.

EDIT: I give you warning I am pretty good. :) But I haven't played seriously in about a year.
petro
petro
January 24th, 2011 at 12:34:54 PM permalink
I just checked out yahoo chess then. pretty crummy place. typical for the internet.
I would suggest also making it clear which yahoo chess room we intend to play at.
I would suggest the "owl tree"
If anyone needs to know my yahoo chess name its; petroWOVchess
I will log on periodically to see if there is any progress to this tournament.
  • Jump to: