7 votes (12.5%)
16 votes (28.57%)

56 members have voted

LostWages
LostWages
  • Threads: 38
November 11th, 2016 at 3:12:19 PM permalink
Quote: AxelWolf

I cant believe you topped it out at 150 and over.
235 and over would have been more appropriate, I don't think I had a electric bill under 200

I realize the last posting was almost 3 years ago, 26 Nov 2013. Perhaps many of those non-solar users are now users and their expenses have decreased.

We had our solar PV & solar water heater (120 gal) installed in Nov 2012, total of 28 panels on top of the 2nd floor roof, for a family of 5 adults. We live in Hawaii, and got the installation done right at the peak of installations. We opted to pay upfront and gradually get our ROI. Before installation, our monthly bill was often between $250 - $350!!!! Knock on wood, but we've not had any issues with the PV system or the water heater.

Hard to explain why, but our monthly water bill is in the $220-$260 range. We've had the plumbing checked for leaks, and even re-routed the entire system from the city pipes. Our plumber has also looked (but not found) for the usual suspects at all faucets, toilet flappers, and wet spots around the garden.

Since 2014, our monthly bill electric bill has never exceeded $18.12. 😄

LW
Eat real food . . . and you won't need medicine (or a lot less!)
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
November 11th, 2016 at 7:57:20 PM permalink
Do you have a main valve where you can shut the
water off that comes into the house? Try shutting it
off every night when you go to bed and turning it
back on in the morning for a month and see what
that does to your bill. If it's the same, it's not a leak.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
LostWages
LostWages
  • Threads: 38
November 12th, 2016 at 12:18:43 AM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Do you have a main valve where you can shut the
water off that comes into the house? Try shutting it
off every night when you go to bed and turning it
back on in the morning for a month and see what
that does to your bill. If it's the same, it's not a leak.

EB - Tks for the tip. Yes, we do have a main valve from which we can shut the water off that comes into the house. Right next to it is our meter. We tried a modification of your suggestion for a couple of hours, for a couple of days, turning on/off different faucets, then the main valve, while I tried to see if the meter moved. At this time, still no leaks. I believe we need to check in with Board of Water Supply to at least figure out if our consumption of H20 matches that of a family of 5 adults. Much appreciate this post of yours, and the dozens of others in so many categories.

LW
Eat real food . . . and you won't need medicine (or a lot less!)
  • Jump to: