thompsontw
  • Threads: 2
November 28th, 2010 at 3:49:42 PM permalink
Interesting NY Times article by N. R. KLEINFIELD: Link
Paigowdan
Paigowdan
  • Threads: 115
November 28th, 2010 at 6:16:45 PM permalink
A New York institution, I tell ya. A dying one too, like Keno here.
I remember old movie houses converted into Bingo Halls as a kid in the 60's and 70's, all in outer Boroughs or neighborhoods like Washington Heights.
Before the NYS Lottery, there were number runners, OTB, and bookies; still some bookies operating out of false candy store/news agent fronts.
(OTB is "Off-Track Betting") All of these things hail back to the seedy 70's of New York, before re-gentrification, Donald Trump, the go-go 80's.

Personally, I don't get Bingo. At the Fiesta, some players clear out of the tables for an hour to go to the Bingo room upstairs.
Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes - Henry David Thoreau. Like Dealers' uniforms - Dan.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
November 28th, 2010 at 6:53:13 PM permalink
Quote: Paigowdan

A New York institution, I tell ya. Personally, I don't get Bingo. At the Fiesta, some players clear out of the tables for an hour to go to the Bingo room upstairs.

Bingo is weird. Non-players can't understand it but players love them and are more superstitous than craps players. I worked one 2 or three times to help out a local group. (For those who never lived in NY the bingo hall has an owner and various non-profits rent the concession giving the owner a cut of the proceeds just like a renting a McDonald's or "renting a game" from the mafia depeding on your level of cynicism.) Anyways, my part was selling "special" game cards. Players wanted one from the top, bottom, middle, buy two not-touching, whatever. Same as yelling "SAME DICE." As far as giving good customer service, most didn't want anything but to "get their GD cards" and a few out-and-out ignored you when you thanked them for their business. Of course some were nice. All were bingo-crazed.

The "smoking room" was a treat. Even with modern filtration you could have a years worth of secondhand smoke in minutes in there. Even a guy who recently gave up smoking said how nuts the smoking room was.

The group had a good slot time (a weekend night, Saturday I think) and made some cash. No idea what they had to kick back to the owner. You could never make money on this if not for volunteer labor.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
  • Jump to: