redietz
redietz
  • Threads: 49
Thanked by
beachbumbabs
March 26th, 2020 at 4:15:12 PM permalink
The United States now has more confirmed cases than anyone (although personally, China's numbers probably aren't right). Complete disorganized mess.

So I'm sitting in the worst country to this point, in the 49th ranked state in terms of preparedness, and I'm thinking Costa Rica sounds good right about now.
"You can't breathe dead hippo waking, sleeping, and eating, and at the same time keep your precarious grip on existence."
tringlomane
tringlomane
  • Threads: 8
March 26th, 2020 at 4:20:03 PM permalink
And we're not even close to done.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 209
March 26th, 2020 at 4:53:28 PM permalink
Quote: redietz

The United States now has more confirmed cases than anyone (although personally, China's numbers probably aren't right). Complete disorganized mess.

So I'm sitting in the worst country to this point, in the 49th ranked state in terms of preparedness, and I'm thinking Costa Rica sounds good right about now.

You're in a closed tank, with water rising up to your chin. You gotta think like MacGyver and figure out how to get out with just a paperclip.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
redietz
redietz
March 26th, 2020 at 5:25:41 PM permalink
I've been saving my clergy collar and clergy license plate for an occasion like this. Haven't used them since needing parking spaces at combination biker week and spring break in Daytona 30 years ago.
"You can't breathe dead hippo waking, sleeping, and eating, and at the same time keep your precarious grip on existence."
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
March 26th, 2020 at 5:49:12 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

You're in a closed tank, with water rising up to your chin. You gotta think like MacGyver and figure out how to get out with just a paperclip.

Or you can sit back, binge watch tv, avoid other people and ride it out.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
michael99000
michael99000
  • Threads: 9
Thanked by
AxelWolf
March 26th, 2020 at 5:49:52 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

Or you can sit back, binge watch tv, avoid other people and ride it out.

My plan exactly
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 25
March 26th, 2020 at 6:24:02 PM permalink
Quote: michael99000

My plan exactly

My plan, too, for the next three weeks (or longer, if the State/Fed gov. says so). Unfortunately I'll have to go out once or twice to get groceries, but that's it.
redietz
redietz
March 26th, 2020 at 7:38:00 PM permalink
We have pick-up here from Kroger. You order online and get a time (it's a four-day wait now), drive to the store to designated spots, then call them and tell you're there. We have a van and don't quibble about substitutes, so we just have the guy load them in the back and take off.
tringlomane
tringlomane
  • Threads: 8
March 26th, 2020 at 10:01:53 PM permalink

We have pick-up here from Kroger. You order online and get a time (it's a four-day wait now), drive to the store to designated spots, then call them and tell you're there. We have a van and don't quibble about substitutes, so we just have the guy load them in the back and take off.

Four day wait? Wow.
jjjoooggg
jjjoooggg
  • Threads: 34
March 27th, 2020 at 2:08:11 AM permalink
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
Born in Texas and lived in Texas my whole life.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
March 27th, 2020 at 3:47:48 AM permalink

If you want to go, go. The USA will have more cases because the USA is one of the most populated countries in the world. The 3rd most populated. Of course we will end up with "the most confirmed cases." China cannot be trusted with numbers at all, India is probably not a ton better than China in reporting honesty.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 25
March 27th, 2020 at 9:46:36 AM permalink
We have the most cases, but according to this chart:

Quote: jjjoooggg

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

We rank 20th in per capita deaths from coronavirus, and 33rd in per capita infections, so we must be doing SOMEthing right.

Plus, there is no way India does not have a ton of cases right now. Probably Russia, too. I doubt they even know, or if they do, they're not reporting it.
jjjoooggg
jjjoooggg
  • Threads: 34
redietz
redietz
March 27th, 2020 at 11:41:53 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

If you want to go, go. The USA will have more cases because the USA is one of the most populated countries in the world. The 3rd most populated. Of course we will end up with "the most confirmed cases." China cannot be trusted with numbers at all, India is probably not a ton better than China in reporting honesty.

Even with massively fudged numbers from China, we will blow by any China estimate.
redietz
redietz
Thanked by
CrystalMathLuckyPhow
March 27th, 2020 at 11:42:59 AM permalink
The thing we're doing right is we're a month behind. Check back in 60 days.
billryan
billryan
March 27th, 2020 at 2:27:20 PM permalink
I give it two weeks. The few people I know that are taking this serious all have cabin fever. I can do another week or so but six weeks or more doesn't thrill me.
I took a ride to get pizza and drove past the dog park. I've never seen it so crowded. Usually,it has three to five dogs but there must have been a dozen and maybe twenty people, mostly sitting on the bleacher seats taking in the sun and socializing.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
March 27th, 2020 at 2:36:33 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

I give it two weeks. The few people I know that are taking this serious all have cabin fever. I can do another week or so but six weeks or more doesn't thrill me.
I took a ride to get pizza and drove past the dog park. I've never seen it so crowded. Usually,it has three to five dogs but there must have been a dozen and maybe twenty people, mostly sitting on the bleacher seats taking in the sun and socializing.

This is my first week and I just can't stay home. I have already went to a bar twice this week and will be going back tonight.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
  • Threads: 111
March 27th, 2020 at 2:42:47 PM permalink
NYC is likely to impose $500 fines for not being properly socially distant next week. They will also shut down church services this weekend, and maybe even shutdown the church for good and arrest the priests.
billryan
billryan
March 27th, 2020 at 2:54:28 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

This is my first week and I just can't stay home. I have already went to a bar twice this week and will be going back tonight.

That's just sad.
  • Jump to: