onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 212
June 28th, 2017 at 7:05:39 PM permalink
http://www.kiro7.com/news/local/convicted-hole-in-one-insurance-scammer-facing-more-charges/479625630

He sold insurance and never paid a penny for 15 years investigators claim.
I am a robot.
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
June 28th, 2017 at 7:08:30 PM permalink
All insurance is a scam. This includes health, life, auto, home owners, etc.
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
June 28th, 2017 at 7:20:40 PM permalink
My Fraternity runs an annual charity golf outing. Some of the money goes for a scholarship, some to local youth programs. Each of us is expected to work on the outing every five or six years. In other words, I do nothing for five years, then get involved one year and sit back for the next five. This way a rotating workforce helps keep anyone from getting intimate with the funds and possibly abusing them.
We have one hole where a line is painted straight down the course from tee to pin and the closest to that line, after a minimum distance wins a lease on a Mercedes for 24 months. We also have a hole in one contest on a designated hole. The one year I worked, it was a par 3 172 yard hole. Only thing was, pin placement made the shot 168 yards, short of the 170 that our insurance premium required. Now I'm wondering if that was an innocent mistake like the course claimed.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
June 28th, 2017 at 7:35:13 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

My Fraternity runs an annual charity golf outing. Some of the money goes for a scholarship, some to local youth programs. Each of us is expected to work on the outing every five or six years. In other words, I do nothing for five years, then get involved one year and sit back for the next five. This way a rotating workforce helps keep anyone from getting intimate with the funds and possibly abusing them.
We have one hole where a line is painted straight down the course from tee to pin and the closest to that line, after a minimum distance wins a lease on a Mercedes for 24 months. We also have a hole in one contest on a designated hole. The one year I worked, it was a par 3 172 yard hole. Only thing was, pin placement made the shot 168 yards, short of the 170 that our insurance premium required. Now I'm wondering if that was an innocent mistake like the course claimed.

I immediately thought of stories like you mentioned where the tee box set up disqualified people. I'm not sure if it was you talking about it before or somewhere else, but id guess this was his number one excuse. My second thought, bet this guy is a forum member.
I am a robot.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
June 28th, 2017 at 7:35:44 PM permalink
He wasn't licensed to sell insurance. He was just a scam artist, no different than Madoff.

"Lightning strike" event insurance allows golf tournaments or other sporting events to offer valuable prizes for reasonable premiums. You can offer a prize like a full scholarship for throwing a football 35 yards into a hole 12" across, or a Mercedes for a 140 yard hole in one, without actually having 50k on hand or buying a 70k car. The documentation for a claim is pretty strict, and I recall a prize for a half court shot at a college basketball game being disallowed because video replay showed the participant with their foot on the line. I think there was a similar case at a hockey match where the contestant wasn't even told all the rules, but after his slapshot went through a hole barely bigger than the puck, the prize was denied because the announcer lined him up over the line instead of behind it.

The biggest scam I see are the car or motorcycle that is parked in the middle of the mall that people think they can win by giving their contact info on a slip of paper. Has anyone ever seen the drawing, or met a "winner"?
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
June 28th, 2017 at 7:47:36 PM permalink
Quote: Ayecarumba

He wasn't licensed to sell insurance. He was just a scam artist, no different than Madoff.

"Lightning strike" event insurance allows golf tournaments or other sporting events to offer valuable prizes for reasonable premiums. You can offer a prize like a full scholarship for throwing a football 35 yards into a hole 12" across, or a Mercedes for a 140 yard hole in one, without actually having 50k on hand or buying a 70k car. The documentation for a claim is pretty strict, and I recall a prize for a half court shot at a college basketball game being disallowed because video replay showed the participant with their foot on the line. I think there was a similar case at a hockey match where the contestant wasn't even told all the rules, but after his slapshot went through a hole barely bigger than the puck, the prize was denied because the announcer lined him up over the line instead of behind it.

The biggest scam I see are the car or motorcycle that is parked in the middle of the mall that people think they can win by giving their contact info on a slip of paper. Has anyone ever seen the drawing, or met a "winner"?

Pretty sure they busted those sweepstakes drawings around here in the past. If you look at the website, they do(did?) a lot more than just hole in ones. Basically any sport, and also car promotions for dealerships, which is very disappointing considering all the people that walked into dealerships under false pretenses presumably. The website claims Kevin Kolenda was not involved with the site since 2008, but I'm not sure it adds up.
I am a robot.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
Thanked by
onenickelmiracle
June 29th, 2017 at 5:57:07 AM permalink
I was on a course in Canada where for $10 you could enter their hole in one sweepstakes. It was a very difficult hole, around 200 yards. They had a beautiful expensive sportscar parked there. Reading the fine print, if you made the hole in one you got the car for A WEEKEND! The fine print limited the miles you could drive, and also prohibited you from taking it across the border! They did give you a coupon for $10 to use in their proshop, but who ever buys anything in a golf proshop?
  • Jump to: