• Threads: 20
June 10th, 2017 at 1:05:38 PM permalink
Quote: Calder

Possibly closing it to private vehicles. Allow only cabs, buses, and shuttles. I'd prohibit limos. This might also free up enough space for the Wiz's monorail idea within the current right-of-way.

But in the end, the strip congestion doesn't bother me, I know enough to just avoid it.

It is a good idea if the city can establish alternate routes for non-commercial vehicles to access to properties on the strip.

The city need tax revenues, and prohibiting private vehicles without providing alternate convenient access points to properties on the strip is like killing the goose that lays the golden eggs.
coilman
coilman
  • Threads: 121
June 10th, 2017 at 1:52:20 PM permalink
Quote: AxelWolf

One light rain sprinkle and a subway would probably flood.

build it to take care of any city flooding problems

Megastructures - Smart Tunnel Kuala Lumpur Documentary National Geographic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kw1wuhGg0k
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 206
June 10th, 2017 at 6:27:56 PM permalink
Quote: SanchoPanza

Updated June 9, 2017 - 9:47 pm
Gov. Brian Sandoval gave the green light this week for officials to seek funding to build a light-rail line that could cost up to $705 million and carry passengers from McCarran International Airport to downtown Las Vegas as soon as 2023. -lvrj.com

And for my next prediction, the answer to the card in the envelope that has been hemetically sealed in a pickle jar on the porch of Funk and Wagnell's is,

"Sis Boom Bah"
America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, bad-ass speed. - Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 972
June 10th, 2017 at 7:22:59 PM permalink
Quote: Ayecarumba

And for my next prediction, the answer to the card in the envelope that has been hemetically sealed in a pickle jar on the porch of Funk and Wagnell's is,

I think it was a mayonnaise jar.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 206
June 10th, 2017 at 9:12:12 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I think it was a mayonnaise jar.

Hehe... That's only after noon... on the back porch
America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, bad-ass speed. - Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 58
Thanks for this post from:
beachbumbabs
June 11th, 2017 at 2:51:51 AM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

That was my first thought. Despite the enormous cost of boring and the inevitable discrepancy between where pipes are indicated and where they actually are, rember why the land at the old IP was so cheap, it was built over a flood drain.

BEST would be a trackless train....one that follows pavement painted rectangles. No rails, no boring, no construction. Just paint four inch square dice on the strip and its 'instant light rail without any rails'.

Didn't Wynn get a great deal on the land for the Mirage as it was adjacent to a volcano?
It's what you do and not what you say If you're not part of the future then get out of the way
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
June 11th, 2017 at 11:10:43 AM permalink
Quote: Ayecarumba

Hehe... That's only after noon... on the back porch

I think there was a WoV trivia challenge question about this.
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 6
June 12th, 2017 at 8:35:19 AM permalink
They should just build an elevated walkway with one of those airport conveyor belts on it.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 211
June 12th, 2017 at 11:13:15 AM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

They should just build an elevated walkway with one of those airport conveyor belts on it.

Only if it moves FAST. With all the laws about the handicapped, it would probably crawl and have too many gawkers.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
June 12th, 2017 at 12:31:45 PM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

it would probably crawl and have too many gawkers.

It definitely would have tons of gawkers. The moving walkway leading into the Bellagio is a perfect example.

• Jump to: