Thread Rating:

Steverinos
Steverinos
  • Threads: 5
December 12th, 2017 at 12:52:55 PM permalink
Quote: mcallister3200

Wait. Do we have people who voted for Hillary actually trying to claim some sort of moral outrage/high ground, is that what we have here? 😂

Absolutely.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
December 12th, 2017 at 1:04:48 PM permalink
Wait. That was a real question?
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
  • Threads: 57
December 12th, 2017 at 1:11:33 PM permalink
I have no doubt Roy Moore will win.

I would have bet on it if Bovada didn’t have him at -300 yesterday....30 cents on the dollar is not worth the small risk that some non-scumbag voters turned out today.
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 26
Thanked by
OnceDear
December 12th, 2017 at 1:11:48 PM permalink

Wait. Do we have people who voted for Hillary actually trying to claim some sort of moral outrage/high ground, is that what we have here? 😂

You bet.

And I hated that I had to vote for her. Unfortunately this last batch of Presidential candidates was probably the worst in my lifetime.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
Thanked by
RogerKint
December 12th, 2017 at 1:25:18 PM permalink
Well alrighty then. Please let me know the current topic I'm supposed to be outraged about next week.
TigerWu
TigerWu
December 12th, 2017 at 1:28:01 PM permalink

Well alrighty then. Please let me know the current topic I'm supposed to be outraged about next week.

Maybe Net Neutrality? Or something to do with Christmas. Probably some "War on Christmas" nonsense.
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 89
December 12th, 2017 at 1:28:15 PM permalink

Yup
in my eyes
Bill Clinton guilty of sexual assault
Donald Trump guilty of sexual assault

I did not vote for either sicko
I hold the high moral ground. Very high. So high, gonna do another dab :-)
Its just a forum. Nothing here to get obsessed about.
darkoz
darkoz
  • Threads: 297
December 12th, 2017 at 1:33:14 PM permalink
Quote: terapined

Yup
in my eyes

Bill clinton was not on the last ballot
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
December 12th, 2017 at 1:40:40 PM permalink

Yup
in my eyes

So Ed, what would you tell a voter who believes abortion is murder, and only will support a candidate who is against murder? Which Alabama candidate is "the high ground" for that voter?

What would you do if you had to vote between Spacey or Moore?

What if Moore apologized, while saying he has done nothing wrong for 40 years? Is that OK?
ams288
ams288
  • Threads: 22
December 12th, 2017 at 1:47:53 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Spacey? As in Kevin Spacey? Huh?!

What does a blacklisted Hollywood actor have to do with anything?

This comparison is so stupid it's making my head hurt...
Ding Dong the Witch is Dead
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
December 12th, 2017 at 1:52:47 PM permalink
Quote: Boz

And yet everyone of the liberals on here complaining about Roy would never vote for any Republican over a Dem. So while complaining about Moore, the end result is no different than any other election, you hate all GOP candidates.

I am sort of a living refutation of that statement. I consider myself moderate, not liberal, but have definitely agreed more with liberals lately. And am widely regarded as a liberal here.

I vote for Republicans who are competent, experienced, intelligent people. I can disagree with them on some things if they appear to be decent and respectable people who are not wrapped around a religious axle or unable to work with and listen to others. There is a long list of those good people in politics.

And, increasingly, there are those others, especially as Republicans. When there are unacceptable Republicans, I vote against them, both in primaries and in the General.

Every voter has the responsibility to take at least a couple hours and Google these people, visit their websites, and ask around before they pull the lever. Even if they're only choosing between 2 people they don't want.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
December 12th, 2017 at 1:56:45 PM permalink
Quote: ams288

Spacey? As in Kevin Spacey? Huh?!

What does a blacklisted Hollywood actor have to do with anything?

This comparison is so stupid it's making my head hurt...

I can't help it if you can't understand a simple question. If you had to choose between two such people, how do you choose? The analogy, which obviously went right above your blinded liberal head, was to note that many Alabamans consider Jones unacceptable on MORAL grounds, just like you consider Moore unacceptable on moral grounds. So my question stands; if you have two unacceptable candidates, what do you do? You can't understand that an anti abortion voter doesn't think a person's stance on that issue disqualifies him more than unproven allegations from 40 years ago, with no allegations of misdeeds since his early 30's? If your head still hurts take an aspirin.
TigerWu
TigerWu
December 12th, 2017 at 2:03:09 PM permalink

So Ed, what would you tell a voter who believes abortion is murder, and only will support a candidate who is against murder? Which Alabama candidate is "the high ground" for that voter?

I would tell that voter they seriously need to look at more than one issue, because people like that shouldn't be voting.
ams288
ams288
December 12th, 2017 at 2:04:53 PM permalink

I can't help it if you can't understand a simple question. If you had to choose between two such people, how do you choose? The analogy, which obviously went right above your blinded liberal head, was to note that many Alabamans consider Jones unacceptable on MORAL grounds, just like you consider Moore unacceptable on moral grounds. So my question stands; if you have two unacceptable candidates, what do you do? You can't understand that an anti abortion voter doesn't think a person's stance on that issue disqualifies him more than unproven allegations from 40 years ago, with no allegations of misdeeds since his early 30's? If your head still hurts take an aspirin.

Oh I understood the question just fine. It was just a dumb, dumb, dumb comparison.

And the answer to your question is simple: write in somebody you find acceptable.

https://www.vox.com/2017/12/11/16730574/alabama-senate-election-republican-write-in-roy-moore
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
December 12th, 2017 at 2:05:29 PM permalink

Even if all these child molester situations had not been revealed (and I believe the women ), Moore proved himself completely unacceptable for this job many times. Your post reads as if he has no misdeeds in the last 30 years, when he's had nothing BUT misdeeds.

A Senator serves his people in a civil capacity. There is a separation of church and state under our Constitution. Moore willfully imposed his own standards over our law, based on his interpretation of God's law. AND WAS REMOVED FOR IT BY REPUBLICANS, NOT ONCE BUT TWICE.

He's completely unfit for the Senate, because he will not uphold the Constitution, upon which he is required to swear allegiance before taking the job.

End of story. No particular litmus test overrides willful incompetence.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
TigerWu
TigerWu
December 12th, 2017 at 2:06:58 PM permalink

So my question stands; if you have two unacceptable candidates, what do you do?

I personally would either abstain from voting (which I have done in the past) or choose what I perceived to be the lesser of two evils (which I have also done). My choice, however, would not come down to one single issue. That would be irresponsible.

Quote:

You can't understand that an anti abortion voter doesn't think a person's stance on that issue disqualifies him more than unproven allegations from 40 years ago, with no allegations of misdeeds since his early 30's?

Moore has many other problems besides whatever he did or didn't do in his 30's.
TigerWu
TigerWu
December 12th, 2017 at 2:19:17 PM permalink
Sweet Enola Gay... Roy Moore's campaign spokesman is an idiot.
Steverinos
Steverinos
  • Threads: 5
December 12th, 2017 at 2:20:13 PM permalink
Meh...

It will take a very long time to repair the damage the republican party, collectively, as a whole, did throughout Barack Obama's presidency. Standing in the way of progress while ABANDONING their OWN ideas in pursuit of electoral gains is, well, it's treason in my book. I'm young and can see myself voting for the right republican, but at the current moment, there simply isn't any.
Boz
Boz
  • Threads: 155
December 12th, 2017 at 2:21:51 PM permalink

I never voted for that sexual harasser sicko Bill Clinton
I voted for Bob Dole
No way would I ever vote for sickos such as Roy Moore or Trump

But plenty of Dems proudly voted for Ted Kennedy every 6 years.

If Moore wins, and is found guilty in an ethics investigation then send him packing. Far better than giving the seat to a Dem.
Boz
Boz
December 12th, 2017 at 2:26:01 PM permalink
Quote: gamerfreak

I have no doubt Roy Moore will win.

I would have bet on it if Bovada didn’t have him at -300 yesterday....30 cents on the dollar is not worth the small risk that some non-scumbag voters turned out today.

So if a member in good standing here lives in Alabama and votes for Judge Roy they are a “scumbag”?

Again thanks for showing why it’s easy to say the majority of today’s so called “ millennials” are lazy and will never amount to anything.

Sorry for the generalization, just following your logic.
Boz
Boz
December 12th, 2017 at 2:28:44 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

I am sort of a living refutation of that statement. I consider myself moderate, not liberal, but have definitely agreed more with liberals lately. And am widely regarded as a liberal here.

I vote for Republicans who are competent, experienced, intelligent people. I can disagree with them on some things if they appear to be decent and respectable people who are not wrapped around a religious axle or unable to work with and listen to others. There is a long list of those good people in politics.

And, increasingly, there are those others, especially as Republicans. When there are unacceptable Republicans, I vote against them, both in primaries and in the General.

Every voter has the responsibility to take at least a couple hours and Google these people, visit their websites, and ask around before they pull the lever. Even if they're only choosing between 2 people they don't want.

So if you are a Republican and believe in the vision our President has for America, the decision is easy. Let the investigations come. But having Moore or his replacement as Senator sure beats Jones for 6 years.
TigerWu
TigerWu
December 12th, 2017 at 2:31:32 PM permalink

But having Moore or his replacement as Senator sure beats Jones for 6 years.

Why do you think so?
Boz
Boz
December 12th, 2017 at 2:44:02 PM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

Why do you think so?

Really? Until January 2019 when the GOP has 4-7 votes to spare they need every vote. With Flake and Corker along with other wildcards Alabama’s vote is needed.
ams288
ams288
December 12th, 2017 at 2:46:08 PM permalink
In the exit polls today, Donald's approval is at 48% approve, 48% disapprove.

In Alabama.
TigerWu
TigerWu
December 12th, 2017 at 2:49:02 PM permalink

Really? Until January 2019 when the GOP has 4-7 votes to spare they need every vote. With Flake and Corker along with other wildcards Alabama’s vote is needed.

No, my question is why is Roy Moore better than Doug Jones for 6 years...
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
December 12th, 2017 at 3:05:06 PM permalink

What if Moore apologized, while saying he has done nothing wrong for 40 years? Is that OK?

What if someone apologizes for something he never did any damn thing about making up for 40 years later is what you mean to say. Would I elect him senator? No Why, would you?

Why would I vote for Spacey or Moore. I'd use the write in if possible or vote for no one if not.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
ams288
ams288
December 12th, 2017 at 3:25:18 PM permalink

Really? Until January 2019 when the GOP has 4-7 votes to spare they need every vote.

One of the silver linings of the Trump Presidency for me is the fact that if Hillary was President, the GOP could have EASILY gotten to 60 votes in the Senate in 2018 based on how bad the map is for Dems in 2018. With a President as unpopular as Donald, not gonna happen.
Boz
Boz
December 12th, 2017 at 3:42:26 PM permalink

One of the silver linings of the Trump Presidency for me is the fact that if Hillary was President, the GOP could have EASILY gotten to 60 votes in the Senate in 2018 based on how bad the map is for Dems in 2018. With a President as unpopular as Donald, not gonna happen.

Which is why I say 54-57. Not sure I ever see 60 again for either party moving forward.
Boz
Boz
December 12th, 2017 at 4:05:42 PM permalink
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slut-shaming
https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/slut_shaming

Trying to figure out what Aunty Liz Warren was trying to say about the female Senator from NY today.
terapined
terapined
December 12th, 2017 at 4:06:20 PM permalink

Hmm, abortion is murder?
That's insane crazy thinking. Its right up there with believing some all powerful being controlling everything on the planet. Its so crazy, its right up there with believing a god was born 2k years ago without sex.
I just cant advise what crazy people should vote for.
Maybe insane people should not vote.
I live in the real world, not the fantasy religious world
Boz
Boz
Thanked by
beachbumbabs
December 12th, 2017 at 4:18:32 PM permalink

Hmm, abortion is murder?
That's insane crazy thinking. Its right up there with believing some all powerful being controlling everything on the planet. Its so crazy, its right up there with believing a god was born 2k years ago without sex.

Agree 100% on abortion. It’s a loser for the GOP and the sooner they understand that the sooner they can get more on their side. Should be the woman’s right and decision , period.

Why bring a child into the world when the parent either doesn’t want it or can’t afford it?
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
December 12th, 2017 at 4:22:24 PM permalink

Hmm, abortion is murder?

I think there are millions of Americans that think abortion is murder. I wholeheartedly disagree with them, but don't think they are insane.
I also don't think that those that believe in a god are insane.

To answer BBB's questions about whether Moore is qualified to be a Senator.... He is right of looney.... Failed twice at his previous job..... Likely likes his girls too young..... But...... The ONLY qualification he needs is more votes than Jones. Because you think him going after 14 year olds 35 years ago makes him unfit is irrelevant. The voters of Alabama either care enough and will vote Jones in, or not and will vote Moore in. If your opinion mattered there would not be a President Trump.

To answer someone else, I agree, I could not vote for either.

As far as the lefties who feel that this election is a win win situation for the Democrats, I will agree with them unless the Republicans are smart enough to immediately seek to oust Mr. Moore after he wins the election. If they just accept him then I agree the optics will look so bad for the republican party that they could lose far more seats in 2018 then anyone now is predicting.
terapined
terapined
December 12th, 2017 at 6:19:22 PM permalink
Watching live results
27% in
Moore up by 36k
ams288
ams288
December 12th, 2017 at 6:23:32 PM permalink

Watching live results
27% in
Moore up by 36k

The statistics pundits I follow on Twitter are excited because it's such a weird race and both Moore and Jones are seeing good numbers in the places where they need them.

It seems like it's going to be a close one.
terapined
terapined
December 12th, 2017 at 6:37:51 PM permalink

The statistics pundits I follow on Twitter are excited because it's such a weird race and both Moore and Jones are seeing good numbers in the places where they need them.

It seems like it's going to be a close one.

Half the vote counted
Moore up by 28k

Watching 2 games
Laker/Knicks on TV and Moore/Jones on the internet
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
terapined
terapined
December 12th, 2017 at 6:56:52 PM permalink

NYT has a really nice live numbers page with analysis

https://www.nytimes.com/elections/results/alabama-senate-special-election-roy-moore-doug-jones?action=click&module=TopStories&pgtype=Homepage

Excellent link
Thanks
I was really really worried
Their analysis of the live vote got me smiling :-)
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
December 12th, 2017 at 6:59:36 PM permalink

Excellent link
Thanks
I was really really worried
Their analysis of the live vote got me smiling :-)

I’m not hopeful, but it’s definitely still a tossup.
terapined
terapined
December 12th, 2017 at 7:05:16 PM permalink

I’m not hopeful, but it’s definitely still a tossup.

Yup
Moore up by 20k with 78% counted
I'm worried
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
December 12th, 2017 at 7:05:59 PM permalink
I wish I could write a Sigma Derby simulation. You watch the two political horses round the track. Coming into the final stretch now.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
terapined
terapined
December 12th, 2017 at 7:08:38 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

I wish I could write a Sigma Derby simulation. You watch the two political horses round the track. Coming into the final stretch now.

Fun race
Lead down to 14k with 79% in
about time
Have not seen the lead so small since about 15% counted
terapined
terapined
December 12th, 2017 at 7:20:23 PM permalink
Jones just pulled ahead
woohoo
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
  • Threads: 30
December 12th, 2017 at 7:24:33 PM permalink
I bet a whopping $50 on Jones +340.

I figured there would be a Hillary effect. i.e. that voting for a morally repugnant human being just isn't a satisfying experience, so a lot of Republicans will either vote 3rd party or, more likely, stay home.

One thing I didn't think of but might be working for Jones is, Dems might turn out more because they actually have a chance. It's also not that fun to make a symbolic vote for someone who has no chance. But to finally pull the upset is fun.

I wonder why Republicans didn't come out and say, "look, vote for the scum bag, then we'll replace him with someone else immediately." They'd have won easily.
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
Thanked by
ams288beachbumbabsRomes
December 12th, 2017 at 7:25:39 PM permalink
Wow, Fox News just called it for Doug Jones.

Terrific day for Alabama, and America.
terapined
terapined
Thanked by
ams288Romes
December 12th, 2017 at 7:25:46 PM permalink
Fox is calling it
Jones WINS
ams288
ams288
December 12th, 2017 at 7:26:01 PM permalink
Quote: Rigondeaux

I wonder why Republicans didn't come out and say, "look, vote for the scum bag, then we'll replace him with someone else immediately." They'd have won easily.

Because many republicans actually like the scumbag.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
December 12th, 2017 at 7:28:12 PM permalink

Trump is right up there with that sicko Bill Clinton. Both are sickos

Oh, please: all this sexual harassment frenzy is getting old real fast.

What ever happened to "boys will be boys?"

It's the testosterone speaking, ladies: nothing more.
"What, me worry?"
ams288
ams288
Thanked by
RogerKintbeachbumbabsBozRomes
December 12th, 2017 at 7:32:28 PM permalink
Roy Moore preferred this night when it was young.
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
  • Threads: 30
Thanked by
SOOPOO
December 12th, 2017 at 7:33:28 PM permalink

Some do, but he just pulled a Hillary. He lost an election virtually anybody else would have won.
ams288
ams288
December 12th, 2017 at 7:35:38 PM permalink
Quote: Rigondeaux

Some do, but he just pulled a Hillary. He lost an election virtually anybody else would have won.

Yup. You can thank Steve Bannon.
  • Jump to: