Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
Joined: Aug 18, 2014
  • Threads: 9
  • Posts: 779
April 19th, 2017 at 11:07:50 AM permalink
Quote: AxelWolf


People may not understand how one could beat most games in the casinos, but they could somewhat understand how one could beat poker. Their first thoughts were not skepticism, cheating, addicted gambler or whatever.



There's also an element of "it's on TV so it has to be legit." Obviously, many poker players are gambling addicts, and we don't really know how many of the TV guys are cheaters, con artists and crooks. But we know it's way more than most people think.

As for the religious stuff. I'd think serious -ev gambling would be at least frowned upon by most religions. I don't know what religion is going to endorse a self destructive compulsion driven by love of money and attachment to the material world.

A little bingo to raise money for the church should be fine. Basically, messing around with pocket money and having fun wit friends. I think even a home game might be ok.

Being religious and being owning or operating a casino must take some amazing mental gymnastics. Unless you are a religious bigot maybe, like Sheldon.

AP/poker pro, it's hard to say. You are a parasite, but not actively harming anybody any more than many other competitive businesses. You are driven by money. But then, what compels a secretary or a garbage man to go to work? It's probably a small mark against you, but you can make up for it elsewhere.
Romes
Romes
Joined: Jul 22, 2014
  • Threads: 24
  • Posts: 3687
April 19th, 2017 at 11:21:53 AM permalink
Quote: Rigondeaux

...As for the religious stuff. I'd think serious -ev gambling would be at least frowned upon by most religions. I don't know what religion is going to endorse a self destructive compulsion driven by love of money and attachment to the material world...

I think it's rather comical that most religions denounce gambling, but EVERY CHURCH in a 500 mile radius of me that I know of has "festival night" to raise money for the church or some cause in which they offer blackjack, craps, poker, etc, etc, etc. We condemn gambling, unless you're going to give your money to USSSSSSSS! #Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiirrrrrrrrrrooooooooonnnnnnnnnyyyyyyyyyy
Playing it correctly means you've already won.
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
Joined: Aug 18, 2014
  • Threads: 9
  • Posts: 779
April 19th, 2017 at 11:38:33 AM permalink
Well, if they say gambling per se is a sin, that's a big problem.

If they oppose casinos but think that truly recreational gambling for pocket money, or to raise money for charity is ok, then I think they are in the clear. I'm sure they see the maintenance of their churches as a legitimately good cause.

If they are taking people's rent money and cashing SS checks so they can be gambled away at the church function, that's also a problem.
RS
RS
Joined: Feb 11, 2014
  • Threads: 49
  • Posts: 4768
April 19th, 2017 at 12:01:37 PM permalink
Quote: Romes

I think it's rather comical that most religions denounce gambling, but EVERY CHURCH in a 500 mile radius of me that I know of has "festival night" to raise money for the church or some cause in which they offer blackjack, craps, poker, etc, etc, etc. We condemn gambling, unless you're going to give your money to USSSSSSSS! #Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiirrrrrrrrrrooooooooonnnnnnnnnyyyyyyyyyy


I've never known of a church that had a casino or festival night. I've heard of it, like on WOV or BJTF, but never actually seen one or heard of one first hand. First hand, I've never heard of a church condemning gambling like you're insinuating they all do.
"What would Brian Boitano do?"
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
Joined: Oct 10, 2012
  • Threads: 113
  • Posts: 12052
April 19th, 2017 at 12:03:27 PM permalink
Quote: Rigondeaux

Well, if they say gambling per se is a sin, that's a big problem.

If they oppose casinos but think that truly recreational gambling for pocket money, or to raise money for charity is ok, then I think they are in the clear. I'm sure they see the maintenance of their churches as a legitimately good cause.

If they are taking people's rent money and cashing SS checks so they can be gambled away at the church function, that's also a problem.

Theres a reason all dogs go to heaven....none of them gamble. And dog spelled backward is God.
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
Romes
Romes
Joined: Jul 22, 2014
  • Threads: 24
  • Posts: 3687
April 19th, 2017 at 12:21:57 PM permalink
Quote: RS

I've never known of a church that had a casino or festival night. I've heard of it, like on WOV or BJTF, but never actually seen one or heard of one first hand. First hand, I've never heard of a church condemning gambling like you're insinuating they all do.

Well here in the mid-west we clearly are better christians than you... For the record I suppose I'm agnostic, but was raised catholic and went to sunday school every week and 'studied' the bible.

Yeah, almost every church around says it's a sin and condemns it, though "now days" mostly it's frowned upon and less harshly condemned (because everyone has done it or does do it in some fashion).

And yeah, tons of churches put on events. Also, private christian schools do the same, and many "town festivals" are held on church grounds. It's a hodgepodgery of irony.
Playing it correctly means you've already won.
DiscreteMaths2
DiscreteMaths2 
Joined: May 4, 2016
  • Threads: 8
  • Posts: 192
April 19th, 2017 at 12:30:36 PM permalink
The hatred of gambling has surpassed religion at this point. Lots of millennials who are non-religious in the USA take a strong stance against gambling and Europeans as well. The only place where it seems to have a decent balance yet is in Asia and Oceania.
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
Joined: Oct 10, 2012
  • Threads: 113
  • Posts: 12052
April 19th, 2017 at 12:32:45 PM permalink
Quote: megapixels

Yeah, I heard some parishes "fist bump" now during the sign of peace, instead of shaking hands. <== not making that up.

Thats just because they don't know where eachothers hands have just been.
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
Joined: Oct 10, 2012
  • Threads: 113
  • Posts: 12052
April 19th, 2017 at 12:33:34 PM permalink
Quote: Romes

Well here in the mid-west we clearly are better christians than you... For the record I suppose I'm agnostic, but was raised catholic and went to sunday school every week and 'studied' the bible.

Did you get the extra special clergy treatment?
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪

  • Jump to: