WatchMeWin
WatchMeWin
  • Threads: 105
January 10th, 2017 at 6:56:58 AM permalink
As disturbing as it is to have our incoming president tweeting out comments on a show title, as he did with 'Blackish' this week, I was always thinking the same thing. How does a network put on a show called 'Blackish'. I understand diversity and such, but the hypocrisy is ridiculous.
'Winners hit n run... Losers stick around'
ams288
ams288
  • Threads: 22
January 10th, 2017 at 7:13:38 AM permalink
Quote: WatchMeWin

As disturbing as it is to have our incoming president tweeting out comments on a show title, as he did with 'Blackish' this week, I was always thinking the same thing. How does a network put on a show called 'Blackish'. I understand diversity and such, but the hypocrisy is ridiculous.

Have you ever watched the show?
Ding Dong the Witch is Dead
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
January 10th, 2017 at 7:19:33 AM permalink
Quote: ams288

It sounds awful.
ams288
ams288
January 10th, 2017 at 7:31:13 AM permalink
Quote: RS

It sounds awful.

I've never watched it, but I've heard good things.

And if Donald thinks it's racist, it's gotta be good.
ams288
ams288
January 10th, 2017 at 7:34:51 AM permalink
Here's the tweet, for anyone who's curious:

And here's the best response:

VCUSkyhawk
VCUSkyhawk
  • Threads: 21
January 10th, 2017 at 9:34:59 AM permalink

I have watched the show. Watched most of the first season. The father in the show while funny, can border on some racist comments. The wife and the children are hilarious. The young daughter is cute.
I got a plan, we take all your picks we reverse them like one of those twilight zone episodes where everything is the opposite. You say "black" we go white.
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 117
January 10th, 2017 at 10:14:24 AM permalink
How does it do it? One viewing of the pilot explains it. The lead male character works in an advertising agency, and is put in charge of "urban" campaigns, which he considers a racist slight; IIRC, his first "ad" smacks of Amos & Andy-level racism, and when everybody else reacts appropriately (as he expected), he points out something like, "You don't want black - you want black-ish!" before revealing his actual ad, which is more what they were expecting (middle-class blacks).

As for "white-ish", I can think of a couple of shows where this would apply in a similar vein; Roseanne and Raising Hope. (Possibly [i[My Name is Earl as well.)

I'd hate to see what Trump thought of The White Shadow...
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 89
January 10th, 2017 at 10:32:29 AM permalink
White Men cant jump
Loved the movie
I'm sure Trump hates the title lol
Trump needs to grow up
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
  • Threads: 88
January 10th, 2017 at 10:34:54 AM permalink
Quote: ThatDonGuy

How does it do it? One viewing of the pilot explains it. The lead male character works in an advertising agency, and is put in charge of "urban" campaigns, which he considers a racist slight; IIRC, his first "ad" smacks of Amos & Andy-level racism, and when everybody else reacts appropriately (as he expected), he points out something like, "You don't want black - you want black-ish!" before revealing his actual ad, which is more what they were expecting (middle-class blacks).

In other words, in context, the show's title isn't racist at all? You mean this is just another example of artificial outrage and perceived insult when none exist?

I thought it was a conservative dogma that leftist social justice warriors had a monopoly on artificial outrage. I guess not.

Or maybe Trump is a closet SJW? That'd be just desserts.
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
WatchMeWin
WatchMeWin
January 10th, 2017 at 10:35:57 AM permalink

As for "white-ish", I can think of a couple of shows where this would apply in a similar vein; Roseanne and Raising Hope. (Possibly [i[My Name is Earl as well.)

The White Shadow!!! Damn that was a good show. lol They should remake that show but with a black coach and call it the 'Black Shadow'.... see how that works out. Or just call it 'The Steelers'.
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 117
January 10th, 2017 at 11:49:04 AM permalink

The White Shadow!!! Damn that was a good show. lol They should remake that show but with a black coach and call it the 'Black Shadow'.... see how that works out.

Saturday Night Live already did this, a long time ago - with O.J. Simpson as the coach.
  • Threads: 31
January 10th, 2017 at 12:10:36 PM permalink
Quote: MathExtremist

In other words, in context, the show's title isn't racist at all? You mean this is just another example of artificial outrage and perceived insult when none exist?

I thought it was a conservative dogma that leftist social justice warriors had a monopoly on artificial outrage. I guess not.

Trump has discovered a way to manipulated the angry white crowd, and Trump is playing into the angry crowd's mind because he knows that the "blackist" word alone will make the angry white crowd's blood boil.

Let me repeat with emphasis, Trump is playing into the angry white crowd's mind.
RogerKint
RogerKint
  • Threads: 15
January 10th, 2017 at 12:42:28 PM permalink
Quote: terapined

White Men cant jump
Loved the movie
I'm sure Trump hates the title lol
Trump needs to grow up

Great movie. Rosie Perez tho!!
100% risk of ruin
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
January 10th, 2017 at 1:22:25 PM permalink
Quote: 777

Quote: MathExtremist

Trump has discovered a way to manipulated the angry white crowd, and Trump is playing into the angry crowd's mind because he knows that the "blackist" word alone will make the angry white crowd's blood boil.
And
Let me repeat with emphasis, Trump is playing into the angry white crowd's mind.

In nearly every case where there is serious news breaking, Trump puts out garbage tweets with outrageous statements on relatively small issues. Guess what gets covered.

This and the Streep rant are getting a yuuuuge amount of coverage, when the discussion should be centered on his denial of the intelligence reports, what those reports say, and the rushed confirmation hearings on his cabinet, many without background checks and required disclosures completed. This is not by accident. And far from the first time he's done it.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
ams288
ams288
January 10th, 2017 at 1:30:16 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

This and the Streep rant are getting a yuuuuge amount of coverage, when the discussion should be centered on his denial of the intelligence reports, what those reports say, and the rushed confirmation hearings on his cabinet, many without background checks and required disclosures completed. This is not by accident. And far from the first time he's done it.

In Donald's defense (*gasp*), the Blackish tweet is from 2014.

It only regained steam because the lead actress won Best Comedy Actress at the Golden Globes the other night and people started widely retweeting it.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
January 10th, 2017 at 1:34:06 PM permalink

In Donald's defense (*gasp*), the Blackish tweet is from 2014.

It only regained steam because the lead actress won Best Comedy Actress at the Golden Globes the other night and people started widely retweeting it.

Didn't know that. Thanks.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
terapined
terapined
Thanked by
RogerKint
January 10th, 2017 at 1:38:39 PM permalink
Whats next
Trump going after the TV show the BlackList lol
ams288
ams288
January 10th, 2017 at 1:42:09 PM permalink

Whats next
Trump going after the TV show the BlackList lol

If James Spader speaks poorly of him, it will become the "most overrated" show on tv!
terapined
terapined
January 10th, 2017 at 2:04:13 PM permalink

If James Spader speaks poorly of him, it will become the "most overrated" show on tv!

Of Course
If Tiger criticized him, trump will call Tiger overrated
If Labron criticized him, Trump would call Labron overrated
If Micheal Jordan criticized Trump, Trump would call him overrated
If Adelle criticized Trump ect ect
lol

In Trumps eyes, you cannot be highly rated and criticize him
absurd
Calder
Calder
  • Threads: 5
January 10th, 2017 at 2:46:17 PM permalink
So if someone has a hissy fit and calls for boycotting Meryl Streep films, is that racist?

I confess I'm having trouble keeping up.
terapined
terapined
January 10th, 2017 at 2:50:10 PM permalink
Quote: Calder

So if someone has a hissy fit and calls for boycotting Meryl Streep films, is that racist?

Absolutely not
I enjoyed her golden globes speech. Rock on Meryl.
but on the flip side,
dam right I boycott her films
They are all chick flicks. I boycott all chick flicks
RogerKint
RogerKint
  • Threads: 15
January 10th, 2017 at 2:54:53 PM permalink

Absolutely not
I enjoyed her golden globes speech. Rock on Meryl.
but on the flip side,
dam right I boycott her films
They are all chick flicks. I boycott all chick flicks

Sexist!!!! ;)
100% risk of ruin
WatchMeWin
WatchMeWin
January 10th, 2017 at 3:00:54 PM permalink
She should get an Oscar for the performance she put on accepting her GG. I think I saw a few tears along with her sniffles.
ams288
ams288
January 10th, 2017 at 3:07:52 PM permalink
Quote: Calder

I'd say no.

But double check with a rightie, they're usually the experts on nonexistent reverse racism...
JimRockford
JimRockford
  • Threads: 12
January 10th, 2017 at 3:16:14 PM permalink

She should get an Oscar for the performance she put on accepting her GG. I think I saw a few tears along with her sniffles.

That's her signature look. Whenever I think of Meryl Streep I think of a runny nose on a 45 foot movie screen
Last edited by: JimRockford on Jan 10, 2017
"Truth is ever to be found in the simplicity, and not in the multiplicity and confusion of things." -- Isaac Newton
terapined
terapined
January 10th, 2017 at 3:33:12 PM permalink

With acting, you never know :-)
TomG
TomG
  • Threads: 16
January 10th, 2017 at 4:37:42 PM permalink

Just another example of easily offended politically correct crap
  • Jump to: