WatchMeWin
WatchMeWin
  • Threads: 34
January 10th, 2017 at 6:56:58 AM permalink
As disturbing as it is to have our incoming president tweeting out comments on a show title, as he did with 'Blackish' this week, I was always thinking the same thing. How does a network put on a show called 'Blackish'. I understand diversity and such, but the hypocrisy is ridiculous.
'Winners hit n run... Losers stick around'
ams288
ams288
  • Threads: 10
January 10th, 2017 at 7:13:38 AM permalink
Quote: WatchMeWin

As disturbing as it is to have our incoming president tweeting out comments on a show title, as he did with 'Blackish' this week, I was always thinking the same thing. How does a network put on a show called 'Blackish'. I understand diversity and such, but the hypocrisy is ridiculous.

Have you ever watched the show?
"Trumped up trickle down" has an entire new meaning now, thanks to those Russian prostitutes...
RS
RS
  • Threads: 48
January 10th, 2017 at 7:19:33 AM permalink
Quote: ams288

It sounds awful.
"Orchestration is the height of professionalism in advantage play, because it means playing to win the bigger game, the cat and mouse game, the game of getting away with playing to win."
ams288
ams288
January 10th, 2017 at 7:31:13 AM permalink
Quote: RS

It sounds awful.

I've never watched it, but I've heard good things.

And if Donald thinks it's racist, it's gotta be good.
"Trumped up trickle down" has an entire new meaning now, thanks to those Russian prostitutes...
ams288
ams288
January 10th, 2017 at 7:34:51 AM permalink
Here's the tweet, for anyone who's curious:

And here's the best response:

VCUSkyhawk
VCUSkyhawk
  • Threads: 13
January 10th, 2017 at 9:34:59 AM permalink
Quote: ams288

I have watched the show. Watched most of the first season. The father in the show while funny, can border on some racist comments. The wife and the children are hilarious. The young daughter is cute.
"In the poker game of life, women are the rake." ~ Worm
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 60
January 10th, 2017 at 10:14:24 AM permalink
How does it do it? One viewing of the pilot explains it. The lead male character works in an advertising agency, and is put in charge of "urban" campaigns, which he considers a racist slight; IIRC, his first "ad" smacks of Amos & Andy-level racism, and when everybody else reacts appropriately (as he expected), he points out something like, "You don't want black - you want black-ish!" before revealing his actual ad, which is more what they were expecting (middle-class blacks).

As for "white-ish", I can think of a couple of shows where this would apply in a similar vein; Roseanne and Raising Hope. (Possibly [i[My Name is Earl as well.)

I'd hate to see what Trump thought of The White Shadow...
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 65
January 10th, 2017 at 10:32:29 AM permalink
White Men cant jump
Loved the movie
I'm sure Trump hates the title lol
Trump needs to grow up
"Everybody's bragging and drinking that wine, I can tell the Queen of Diamonds by the way she shines, Come to Daddy on an inside straight, I got no chance of losing this time" -Grateful Dead- "Loser"
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
  • Threads: 88
January 10th, 2017 at 10:34:54 AM permalink
Quote: ThatDonGuy

How does it do it? One viewing of the pilot explains it. The lead male character works in an advertising agency, and is put in charge of "urban" campaigns, which he considers a racist slight; IIRC, his first "ad" smacks of Amos & Andy-level racism, and when everybody else reacts appropriately (as he expected), he points out something like, "You don't want black - you want black-ish!" before revealing his actual ad, which is more what they were expecting (middle-class blacks).

In other words, in context, the show's title isn't racist at all? You mean this is just another example of artificial outrage and perceived insult when none exist?

I thought it was a conservative dogma that leftist social justice warriors had a monopoly on artificial outrage. I guess not.

Or maybe Trump is a closet SJW? That'd be just desserts.
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
WatchMeWin
WatchMeWin
  • Threads: 34
January 10th, 2017 at 10:35:57 AM permalink
Quote: ThatDonGuy

As for "white-ish", I can think of a couple of shows where this would apply in a similar vein; Roseanne and Raising Hope. (Possibly [i[My Name is Earl as well.)

I'd hate to see what Trump thought of The White Shadow...

The White Shadow!!! Damn that was a good show. lol They should remake that show but with a black coach and call it the 'Black Shadow'.... see how that works out. Or just call it 'The Steelers'.
'Winners hit n run... Losers stick around'

• Jump to: