• Threads: 43
January 5th, 2017 at 6:27:26 AM permalink
For those who follow the stock market.
'Winners hit n run... Losers stick around'
WatchMeWin
WatchMeWin
January 5th, 2017 at 6:41:14 AM permalink
Well, today doesnt look so promising. We are getting sooo close. But I think it will happen in the coming weeks.
Boz
Boz
  • Threads: 131
January 5th, 2017 at 9:27:07 AM permalink
Always goes down as soon as I make my IRA deposit each January.
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
  • Threads: 88
January 5th, 2017 at 9:37:33 AM permalink
Quote: Boz

Always goes down as soon as I make my IRA deposit each January.

Talk to your CPA about estimating your contribution and dividing it up over 12 months. You smooth out a lot of market volatility that way.

But if the market really does go down as soon as you make your payment, call me first: I'll short the market and cover your losses. :)
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
Wizardofnothing
Wizardofnothing
  • Threads: 115
January 5th, 2017 at 10:15:59 AM permalink
Good time to buy calls today
NOW HIRING!!!! REQUEST INFO VIA PM
Avincow
Avincow
  • Threads: 23
January 5th, 2017 at 10:20:51 AM permalink
Quote: MathExtremist

Talk to your CPA about estimating your contribution and dividing it up over 12 months. You smooth out a lot of market volatility that way.

But if the market really does go down as soon as you make your payment, call me first: I'll short the market and cover your losses. :)

Never really understood that logic. Just put the full contribution in on Jan 1st if you have the money. Aren't you missing out on 11 months of return if you delay your investment until December? Don't try to time the market they say. I'm new to investing and try to use my gambling knowledge for understanding. Please explain.
Boz
Boz
  • Threads: 131
January 5th, 2017 at 10:46:56 AM permalink
Quote: Avincow

Never really understood that logic. Just put the full contribution in on Jan 1st if you have the money. Aren't you missing out on 11 months of return if you delay your investment until December? Don't try to time the market they say. I'm new to investing and try to use my gambling knowledge for understanding. Please explain.

ME is usually right when it comes to numbers, but I think you are correct in this case. There are advantages to dollar cost averaging, but I would like to see a performance chart over time of money invested on the first trading day of the year, versus divided equally over 12 months.

I did see something years ago about how much further you would be ahead by investing immediately compared to putting it in 16 months later, ie. 2017 contribution in April 2018. But it didn't compare to DCA over the year.

Either way, Thanks to ME for the advice.
WatchMeWin
WatchMeWin
January 5th, 2017 at 12:07:51 PM permalink
For those into the stock market. I like AKAO very much. Strong antibacterial pipeline with great management. Other successful antibacterial focused biotech companies have been bought out by large pharma, as it is a hot area of pharma development.... AKAO will too be bought out in my opinion. Give it some time. Do you own DD and GL.
Wizardofnothing
Wizardofnothing
  • Threads: 115
Thanks for this post from:
RogerKint
January 5th, 2017 at 12:11:09 PM permalink
Ha,,,,, just for a sweat for the forum- I'll donate 20 percent of the profits to the football pool next year

https://imgur.com/gallery/PVr0m
NOW HIRING!!!! REQUEST INFO VIA PM
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 201
January 5th, 2017 at 12:13:01 PM permalink
I think it depends on what the money that is not invested is doing. If it is earning in a contra fund some place (bonds, metals, real estate), you are actually taking a loss by pulling it out and putting it in a stock fund that is, temporarily at least, losing value. If it simply sitting in a pile under your mattress, by all means invest it on day 1.
America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, bad-ass speed. - Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936

• Jump to: