DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
November 2nd, 2016 at 2:44:55 PM permalink
This is the distribution and redemption of prizes from a California lottery scratcher game. I don't claim to understand the intricacies of lottery scratchers but on the surface it seems strange that over 25% of all prize paying tickets have been redeemed but only 2% of the big prize. Can anyone explain this other than just random bad luck? I notice similar trends in other scratcher games.

CA Lottery
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
ChesterDog
ChesterDog
  • Threads: 8
November 2nd, 2016 at 4:00:48 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

This is the distribution and redemption of prizes from a California lottery scratcher game. I don't claim to understand the intricacies of lottery scratchers but on the surface it seems strange that over 25% of all prize paying tickets have been redeemed but only 2% of the big prize. Can anyone explain this other than just random bad luck? I notice similar trends in other scratcher games.

CA Lottery

That is strange! I would like to know the answer, too. I see that 25.21% of the prizes have been awarded. I would estimate that the probability of only one or fewer of the 50 top prize tickets being already sold would be 0.00088%.

However, big prizes require the player to file a claim form with the state. On this page, it says, "It can take up to 6 to 8 weeks to process a claim once received by the Lottery." So, I guess this time causes a lag in the reporting of results for big prizes.
  • Jump to: