discflicker
discflicker
Joined: Jan 1, 2011
  • Threads: 26
  • Posts: 375
October 4th, 2016 at 12:45:34 PM permalink
Very nice post. I can suggest a few things, first of, get yourself a copy of WinCraps and program your basic strategies into it. Then put it into "hyper" mode and sit back and watch how much money you invariably WILL lose. "Vegas was NOT built upon winners."

Next, I STRONGLY suggest you find a sport/hobby or two, like Disc Golf, and play it every time you get the urge to waste a month's pay for a few minutes of "bliss". That ain't bliss, that is self destruction. Fishing is another sport that can satisfy your gambling urges because its very much like playing a slot machine... when you hit a big fish, its even better than hitting a jackpot because you used your skill to catch it, not just "dumb luck". Imagine the rush you'd get if you bowled a 300 game... now THAT is a rush.

I met a woman in a Vegas casino a while back wearing thick sunglasses. She said she had macular degeneration, and would be blind within a year or so, and so she wanted to "see the world". I told her that every casino in the world looks the same from the inside, and she ain't seeing anything; I suggested touring the Grand Canyon instead.

Vegas glamorizes the gaming industry for only ONE reason... duh. Don't fall for it, please, just take it for what it is... a big rip-off. The pharmaceutical industry does the same thing with mental health "cures"... they advertise to make you think there's something wrong, so they can get you hooked on their drugs. Back in 1849 they advertised claims there was gold in the Sierra mountains for the taking... out of 10,000 prospectors how many do you think actually made money digging for gold?

The world is full of hustlers, con men and thieves, and "let the BUYER beware"... please, don't fall for huge scams like gambling, pharmaceuticals, alcohol, or radical religion. Play some disc golf and when you hit an ace (hole in one), you'll feel way better than you ever did in a casino!!

Quote: GWAE

ummmm if you have a gambling problem the very last thing you should do is come to a gambling website. Block the site and seek professional help.



This site does not encourage reckless gambling; the "betting systems" thread is full of chumps that claim they have winning systems, and we try to teach them that there is no such a thing, and warn them to please keep it under control.

Marty, 04-Oct-2016
The difference between zero and the smallest possible number? It doesn't matter; once you cross that edge, it might as well be the difference between zero and 1. The difference between infinity and reality? They are mutually exclusive.
jjjoooggg
jjjoooggg
Joined: Jul 13, 2012
  • Threads: 22
  • Posts: 356
October 4th, 2016 at 2:22:31 PM permalink
Once, I was sitting in a hotel room. I saw a gambling addiction advertisement with a sad gambler crouched on his bed, and thought maybe that is me.

A dealer said that they are not allowed to talk about the fact that everyday someone commits suicide in Vega. It is also a destination that suicide people decide to be their last place on earth. They have gambling addiction help groups.
I belong to an elite group called the "Zombie Outbreak Response Team."
BTLWI
BTLWI
Joined: Nov 6, 2013
  • Threads: 4
  • Posts: 299
October 4th, 2016 at 2:49:55 PM permalink
Move to a city with no casino.
DeMango
DeMango
Joined: Feb 2, 2010
  • Threads: 24
  • Posts: 1779
October 4th, 2016 at 2:54:49 PM permalink
Quote: BTLWI

Move to a city with no casino.



Good one. Hawaii comes to mind!
jjjoooggg
jjjoooggg
Joined: Jul 13, 2012
  • Threads: 22
  • Posts: 356
October 4th, 2016 at 3:12:58 PM permalink
Hawaii has a casino. LOL.
I belong to an elite group called the "Zombie Outbreak Response Team."
Tortoise
Tortoise
Joined: Mar 7, 2012
  • Threads: 4
  • Posts: 35
October 4th, 2016 at 3:16:18 PM permalink
You're brave to ask for help. I think you'll find that many people want to help if you just ask.

There's basically 2 common strategies for addiction.

The functional addict or the methadone approach:
In this strategy you continue to gamble but do so less frequently and only under strict rules. For example you might make a rule that you can only gamble on Saturdays and only play Full Pay Deuces, nothing else no exceptions. If youíre able to adhere to these strict rules youíll have your addiction under control and wonít have any negative consequences and can do so for the rest of your life. 2 Keys are that you have to be the one to make and enforce these rules, you canít rely on others to do so and remember the HALT Acronym. Donít gamble if youíre Hungry, Angry, Lonely, or Tired, this will help a lot.

Abstinence:
In this strategy you go to Gamblers Anonymous, get a sponsor, and follow the program with the goal of complete abstinence from gambling. You might even consider the nuclear option of self-banning yourself from the casinos. I donít have much knowledge about these programs but thereís lots and lots of people out there who want to help and Gamblers Anonymous is free.

I donít want to scare you but one thing that makes addiction complicated is that addiction is sometimes symptom of other psychological problems instead of the disease. From talking with gambling addicts and reading biographies itís very common for addicts to have a history of trauma like having a very bad childhood or PTSD. Stu Ungar is a good example of this if you read his biography One of Kind youíll read about his abusive father and neglectful mother. Itís impossible to know your situation without talking personally, but if you are in this situation the good news is that if you treat the underlying psychological illness the addiction might just go away on its own.

On the brighter side you might just grow out of your addiction. For a guy 22 is just about the worst time of your life psychologically and it only gets better. If you achieve success, whatever that means for you, graduating college, getting a better job, moving away from home,etc. Things might improve and you might no longer feel the need to gamble.

Whatever you choose to do please get help, most people actually want to help if you ask them.
GWAE
GWAE
Joined: Sep 20, 2013
  • Threads: 66
  • Posts: 6135
October 4th, 2016 at 3:41:01 PM permalink
Quote: discflicker

Very nice post. I can suggest a few things, first of, get yourself a copy of WinCraps and program your basic strategies into it. Then put it into "hyper" mode and sit back and watch how much money you invariably WILL lose. "Vegas was NOT built upon winners."

Next, I STRONGLY suggest you find a sport/hobby or two, like Disc Golf, and play it every time you get the urge to waste a month's pay for a few minutes of "bliss". That ain't bliss, that is self destruction. Fishing is another sport that can satisfy your gambling urges because its very much like playing a slot machine... when you hit a big fish, its even better than hitting a jackpot because you used your skill to catch it, not just "dumb luck". Imagine the rush you'd get if you bowled a 300 game... now THAT is a rush.

I met a woman in a Vegas casino a while back wearing thick sunglasses. She said she had macular degeneration, and would be blind within a year or so, and so she wanted to "see the world". I told her that every casino in the world looks the same from the inside, and she ain't seeing anything; I suggested touring the Grand Canyon instead.

Vegas glamorizes the gaming industry for only ONE reason... duh. Don't fall for it, please, just take it for what it is... a big rip-off. The pharmaceutical industry does the same thing with mental health "cures"... they advertise to make you think there's something wrong, so they can get you hooked on their drugs. Back in 1849 they advertised claims there was gold in the Sierra mountains for the taking... out of 10,000 prospectors how many do you think actually made money digging for gold?

The world is full of hustlers, con men and thieves, and "let the BUYER beware"... please, don't fall for huge scams like gambling, pharmaceuticals, alcohol, or radical religion. Play some disc golf and when you hit an ace (hole in one), you'll feel way better than you ever did in a casino!!



This site does not encourage reckless gambling; the "betting systems" thread is full of chumps that claim they have winning systems, and we try to teach them that there is no such a thing, and warn them to please keep it under control.

Marty, 04-Oct-2016



Mary you are right that this site does not promote anything reckless, however the worst thing that can happen for an addict is to see advantage plays. Take vulturing for example. Said addict sees some of the nice wins done from vulturing. He goes to the casino for the sole purpose of doing that. He finds no plays. N addict is now probably going to stick a 20 or 50 in the machine and play just because. A non addict like myself will say aww damn no play, walk to the pepsi machine, fill up his pepsi bottle and walk back to the car. If he didn't read about that on here then he probably would have had time to play disc golf.

Speaking of, I really messed up my shoulder this year and haven't been able to play a single round. It makes me sad.
discflicker
discflicker
Joined: Jan 1, 2011
  • Threads: 26
  • Posts: 375
October 4th, 2016 at 4:25:25 PM permalink
Quote: GWAE


Mary you are right that this site does not promote anything reckless, however the worst thing that can happen for an addict is to see advantage plays. Take vulturing for example. Said addict sees some of the nice wins done from vulturing. He goes to the casino for the sole purpose of doing that. He finds no plays. An addict is now probably going to stick a 20 or 50 in the machine and play just because. A non addict like myself will say aww damn no play, walk to the pepsi machine, fill up his pepsi bottle and walk back to the car. If he didn't read about that on here then he probably would have had time to play disc golf.

Speaking of, I really messed up my shoulder this year and haven't been able to play a single round. It makes me sad.



Don't call me Mary.

The "Betting Systems" thread on this forum serves the purpose of discouraging any strategy. If he follows my suggestions to simulate his strategy then watch it invariably lose in WinCraps, for example, he should see the light.

I'm sorry to hear about your shoulder, you can try using your off arm, or take up fishing, but it sounds like you have managed your gaming risks. Maybe the OP doesn't know how to manage his money, like limiting his daily losses, etc. I used to just leave my money and credit cards in the car and walk in with, say $50; more than enough to have fun in a Henderson casino for a good 20 minutes or so.

I still, to this day, tightly control my gaming by starting with a base amount and going on a set of SHORT RUNS. If I lost the money, I would walk back out to the car and get another $50. But if I turned it into $125, I would walk out to the car and leave the $75 profit there, and walk back in with $50. OK, now, I quit when I lose three times in a day. Most of the days this never happens, and if it does, I call it a bad day and I QUIT!

Following this money management strategy, your daily max loss is $150, and on the vast majority of days (7 out of 8 days), you lose less than that and you can play for quite a long while. And plus, you get a lot of exercise walking out to the car + back.

These days, I'm strictly poker, where I can let my skill dictate the game, rather than "dumb luck". And in poker, you can buy in with the $50 one-time and just not re-buy until you take a little walk outside. I live in Detroit, they have 3 casinos all within a mile of each other, so I bop from one to the next whenever I lose my buy-in or have > $125 in my stack. They call me "hit + run".

There are plenty of posts here on WOV, and plenty of books and videos that discuss money management.

The OP could also make casual bets in bowling and disc golf, and again, his skill dictates the winner, and so he can learn how to win with talent vs. casino randomization /w built-in house advantages.

Let's say he takes up the game of snooker... if he ever gets good enough to run a 147, he will be in heaven and he will thank his lucky starts to have given up casino gambling. Eh?
The difference between zero and the smallest possible number? It doesn't matter; once you cross that edge, it might as well be the difference between zero and 1. The difference between infinity and reality? They are mutually exclusive.
GWAE
GWAE
Joined: Sep 20, 2013
  • Threads: 66
  • Posts: 6135
October 4th, 2016 at 4:27:10 PM permalink
Lmao I didn't read your whole post yet but my auto correct changed marty to mary. Lol it just did it again.

Now your talking bowling. We should hang out. When I hurt my arm I did switch to left handed for the season. I currently have a 172 average so not so bad.
discflicker
discflicker
Joined: Jan 1, 2011
  • Threads: 26
  • Posts: 375
October 4th, 2016 at 4:46:51 PM permalink
Quote: GWAE

Lmao I didn't read your whole post yet but my auto correct changed marty to mary. Lol it just did it again.



Better than "millie".
Quote: GWAE


Now your talking bowling. We should hang out. When I hurt my arm I did switch to left handed for the season. I currently have a 172 average so not so bad.



Hey I wonder if the OP DRINKS??? Does he go into the casino and take advantage of "free drinks"? That right there would make your lose your paycheck...

https://youtu.be/LgEApN9ap0A?t=182
The difference between zero and the smallest possible number? It doesn't matter; once you cross that edge, it might as well be the difference between zero and 1. The difference between infinity and reality? They are mutually exclusive.

  • Jump to: