Thread Rating:

terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 89
December 7th, 2013 at 4:26:32 AM permalink
You all are lucky, you get cold for free.
I have to pay for cold.
Warm night here in Tampa, had to run the AC to get to sleep.
Its just a forum. Nothing here to get obsessed about.
aluisio
aluisio
  • Threads: 19
December 7th, 2013 at 5:12:26 AM permalink
It's cold in Calgary...

http://weather.gc.ca/city/pages/ab-52_metric_e.html
No bounce, no play.
wroberson
wroberson
December 7th, 2013 at 5:36:58 AM permalink
Quote: tringlomane

Did a coworker (who you referred to as KC) call in? The other post you made was confusing to read without background info.

No. KC and Clarence have been there since exit opened. I stated like 6 months later. Last high KC was hard to get hold of. I haven't met KC. Everything I her par about KC has been he's undependable. My opinion of KC comes from what is heard around the store. Including he likes keeping the money until the shift is over. Takes to long. Makes a delivery and then vanishes instead of going back to settle the sale. Clarence is cool. I talk to him every other week and fill in for him we he goes off.

Last night I was asleep when the phone rang and found myself in a "fire drill". Saint, the owner's son was complaining and explaining his feelings. Of course I'd take the hours. Son while performing this fire drill, I wax doing what I do and anylizing the effect of sudden change on my life. If I was in the hot seat I would adjust and suffer little damage.

The business is black owned.I'm one of the whites guys. I have no friend I would be comfortable referring for employment. The one guy I know, Rick, is goofy too and from the description of KC, he would be the white version, with a drinking problem. I have a feeling KC was there and background "music" was some kind of warning.

For all I know KC was in the shower when his phone rang and then got stuck in traffic on the way to work.

It's 8 with a. Chill factor at 4 below.
Buffering...
teddys
teddys
  • Threads: 150
December 7th, 2013 at 5:43:24 AM permalink
Quote: wroberson

No. KC and Clarence have been there since exit opened. I stated like 6 months later. Last high KC was hard to get hold of. I haven't met KC. Everything I her par about KC has been he's undependable. My opinion of KC comes from what is heard around the store. Including he likes keeping the money until the shift is over. Takes to long. Makes a delivery and then vanishes instead of going back to settle the sale. Clarence is cool. I talk to him every other week and fill in for him we he goes off.

Last night I was asleep when the phone rang and found myself in a "fire drill". Saint, the owner's son was complaining and explaining his feelings. Of course I'd take the hours. Son while performing this fire drill, I wax doing what I do and anylizing the effect of sudden change on my life. If I was in the hot seat I would adjust and suffer little damage.

The business is black owned.I'm one of the whites guys. I have no friend I would be comfortable referring for employment. The one guy I know, Rick, is goofy too and from the description of KC, he would be the white version, with a drinking problem. I have a feeling KC was there and background "music" was some kind of warning.

For all I know KC was in the shower when his phone rang and then got stuck in traffic on the way to work.

It's 8 with a. Chill factor at 4 below.

http://chicagoshomeofchickenandwaffles.com/
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
December 7th, 2013 at 6:15:24 AM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

A video for proof would be nice. If I made cyber bets,
I'd bet you can't get a pic of actual steam. Using dry
ice not allowed.

Who doesn't like a skeptic around here?! Okay, I'm going to see what I can do. I'll take my dog out around 7 AM (45 minutes from now). It should be light enough to see, but nice and cold for the steam effect.

---

The video project didn't work out. I think it was too humid to see a lot of steam rising off the stool.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
mickeycrimm
mickeycrimm
  • Threads: 62
December 7th, 2013 at 11:22:27 AM permalink
It's a hot and balmy -18 in Great Falls at noon today. But this is really weird. The wind isn't blowing. For a population of 50,000 or more GF is the windiest town in the country. Fargo, ND is second. I'm just before jumping out into it. I'll give you my patented process:

1. Steamy hot shower
2. Thermal underwear, top and bottom.
3. Regular pants and shirt.
4. Winter boots
5. Lightweight windbreaker type of coat with spandex bottom that seals around the waist when zipped up.
6. Very long scarf around the neck.
7. Outer shell water proof Columbia coat.
8. Columbia winter gloves.

I got everything on but the gloves. Hard to type with those damn things on. But this is the last post before jumping out into it. But I can already tell you that while everyone else is shivering I'll be as snug as a bug in a rug. So I'm fixing to walk out the door. Have a nice day.
"Quit trying your luck and start trying your skill." Mickey Crimm
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
December 7th, 2013 at 12:03:27 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

The video project didn't work out. I think it was too humid to see a lot of steam .

Dang. I had a great caption for that video. Oh well.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
kenarman
kenarman
  • Threads: 28
December 7th, 2013 at 1:13:50 PM permalink
It was -32 C (-25.6 F) this morning. Dog decided the walk should be a little shorter than normal ,she was getting cold feet. Was easier than yesterday though when it was a little warmer but I had to work outside for a while.
Be careful when you follow the masses, the M is sometimes silent.
kewlj
kewlj
  • Threads: 216
December 7th, 2013 at 3:28:41 PM permalink
Quote: mickeycrimm

It's a hot and balmy -18 in Great Falls at noon today. But this is really weird. The wind isn't blowing. For a population of 50,000 or more GF is the windiest town in the country. Fargo, ND is second. I'm just before jumping out into it. I'll give you my patented process:

1. Steamy hot shower
2. Thermal underwear, top and bottom.
3. Regular pants and shirt.
4. Winter boots
5. Lightweight windbreaker type of coat with spandex bottom that seals around the waist when zipped up.
6. Very long scarf around the neck.
7. Outer shell water proof Columbia coat.
8. Columbia winter gloves.

I got everything on but the gloves. Hard to type with those damn things on. But this is the last post before jumping out into it. But I can already tell you that while everyone else is shivering I'll be as snug as a bug in a rug. So I'm fixing to walk out the door. Have a nice day.

Mickey, you just laid out my worst nightmare. You folks spend half your day getting dressed and undressed to go outside. WTF???

But I won't feel bad for any of you folks that have chosen or continue to chose to live in such an ungodly place. What is wrong with you people?? Some sort of mascochistic issues? Lol
Hunterhill
Hunterhill
  • Threads: 53
December 7th, 2013 at 4:08:45 PM permalink
KewlJ I used to hate the cold now that I'm old and fat I hate the heat.I used to work in below zero weather and sometimes I wouldn't shower for 3 days as it would keep me feeling a little warmer. I like winter now more than summer but I still don't like it below zero
The mountain is tall but grass grows on top of the mountain.
mickeycrimm
mickeycrimm
  • Threads: 62
December 7th, 2013 at 4:28:49 PM permalink
Quote: kewlj

Mickey, you just laid out my worst nightmare. You folks spend half your day getting dressed and undressed to go outside. WTF???

But I won't feel bad for any of you folks that have chosen or continue to chose to live in such an ungodly place. What is wrong with you people?? Some sort of mascochistic issues? Lol

As a real professional, I can tell you that nothing stops my ass up.
"Quit trying your luck and start trying your skill." Mickey Crimm
EvenBob
EvenBob
December 7th, 2013 at 4:45:28 PM permalink
Quote: kewlj

I lived in SoCalif for 7 years. You get acclimated
and 55 feels cold. And you're just as restricted
as to what you can do as you are back east, it
gets dark at 4:30 in Dec and Jan. I was always
cold in Santa Barbara in the winter, and it rained
a lot. Might as well be in W MI where real humans
live.
KeyserSoze
KeyserSoze
  • Threads: 13
December 7th, 2013 at 5:07:02 PM permalink
I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm a real pussy when it comes to cold weather.
Talent hits a target no one else can hit; genius hits a target no one else can see.
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
December 7th, 2013 at 5:08:37 PM permalink
deleted
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
kewlj
kewlj
  • Threads: 216
December 7th, 2013 at 5:09:23 PM permalink

I lived in SoCalif for 7 years. You get acclimated
and 55 feels cold.

I hear that EB. When I bought my current vehicle, I had an option for heated seats. I remember thinking, "what the hell do I need that for? I am not paying for that". Now, I make my partner and driver, go out and warm up the car before I get in. I kind of wish I had those heated seats. Lol
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
December 7th, 2013 at 5:15:32 PM permalink
deleted
coilman
coilman
  • Threads: 139
December 7th, 2013 at 5:29:50 PM permalink
Quote: Ibeatyouraces

Remote starters were a great invention for us where it gets cold.

It doesnt get COLD in Metro Detroit

RED DEER was minus 38*C this morning before windchill

glad I am still in driving mode from Southern Ontario to the land of frozen tundra but even in Thunder Bay On tonight its around minus 30*C with the windchill

A few hours ago i was laying on the frozen parking lot do a bit of maintenance on the truck to ready it up for the 1000 km tomorrow into the colder weather

only a short week there I keep telling myself before I fly out to Vegas and back to COLD DETROIT LOL
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
December 7th, 2013 at 5:40:18 PM permalink
deleted
wroberson
wroberson
December 7th, 2013 at 5:59:19 PM permalink
Quote: steeldco

I never really much cared for Gallagher, but that is funny!

Thanks. Ive had this cats through out history thing going on with Morgan Freeman as Narrator for a day and a half. When the MIT researchers deny any research on butt flavored cat food, the interviews says, Morgan Freeman says you are. The researchers the change that story and suggest talking to the home economics department.

We didn't make it out of the teens in Chicago.
Buffering...
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
December 7th, 2013 at 8:29:54 PM permalink
Quote: coilman

glad I am still in driving mode from Southern Ontario to the land of frozen tundra but even in Thunder Bay On tonight its around minus 30*C with the windchill

I would assume that at such temperatures all commerce ceases, all travel ceases and people just hunker down for various bouts of booze and sex depending upon their circumstances.
EvenBob
EvenBob
December 7th, 2013 at 9:09:27 PM permalink
It's 10 above right now. I took the dog out and
he pushed out a steamer that would have put
the Wiz's dog to shame. I'm so proud..
coilman
coilman
  • Threads: 139
December 9th, 2013 at 7:56:45 PM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

I would assume that at such temperatures all commerce ceases, all travel ceases and people just hunker down for various bouts of booze and sex depending upon their circumstances.

No life goes on ...not many walk anywhere in it

Last night we made in about 10 miles inside the Saskatchwan side of the boarder with Manitoba.... 30 *C below zero with 40*C below zero(( which is equal to 40*F below zero)) windchill.. that kind of weather we leave the big rigs running all night... doors unlocked and all. all the trucks were there still running in the morning...even thiefs don't make it out in that cold
wroberson
wroberson
December 10th, 2013 at 7:32:41 AM permalink
This is how cold it is in Chicago.

Yesterday someone saw a deer that had fallen through some ice on a pond. WGN had the story on for 45 minute as we watched 2 teams of rescuers try to save the deer. It was a buck with a nice 5-6 points. The deer was pronounced dead from hypothermia. I found out after the Bears-Cowboys game. The entire thing may be on youtube. There are conspiracy theories. At least it's out of the water.

It's simple story that should have been about a deer in a pond, until the rescuers arrived on the scene,

The whole thing was wrong.

The pathway through the ice.
The other person on the other side of the pond.
The line of cars parked atop the embankment.
The helicopter. And the group of men at high ground.
The two men in the water.
The unseen gunman and a tranquilizer dart.
The person who may have stumbled upon it a week later, frozen. Solid in ice.

Someone had posed a theory the the buck would viciously attack the men trying to help it.
That it was stupid from the cold and would jump back into the pond.

A deer in a pond.
A deer in a pond...
A deer in a pond.

I put up plastic on the windows.
Buffering...
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
December 13th, 2013 at 10:37:28 AM permalink
It hasn't been unseasonably cold here in the Buffalo area, but we're getting pounded with snow unlike any I've seen before. It started Tuesday afternoon and came heavy, and it hasn't let up yet (it's Friday afternoon now). It's not "blizzard snow" as there isn't any wind, it just keeps falling, and falling fast.

I haven't measured yet, but I heard reports that we passed 40" of accumulation, just from the last two days. And as I look out my window, it's still falling fast as ever.

If this is "global warming", I'm gonna build me a truck that runs by burning coal and styrofoam. I love it. And now, I'm going for a drive.
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
EvenBob
EvenBob
December 13th, 2013 at 12:05:22 PM permalink
It snowed in Cairo today for the first time in
100 years. A sure sign of Global Warming,
according to Algore.
treetopbuddy
treetopbuddy
  • Threads: 34
December 13th, 2013 at 12:09:28 PM permalink

according to Algore.

Lots of steamy dog poop in Cairo......
Each day is better than the next
KeyserSoze
KeyserSoze
  • Threads: 13
December 13th, 2013 at 3:26:06 PM permalink

according to Algore.

Perhaps the liberals should start touting another ice age. Then things will probably warm up. I'm freezing my ass of right now.
Talent hits a target no one else can hit; genius hits a target no one else can see.
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
December 13th, 2013 at 4:34:07 PM permalink
Quote: KeyserSoze

Perhaps the liberals should start touting another ice age. Then things will probably warm up. I'm freezing my ass of right now.

Did all the liberals on this board give up? I'm neither but I feel like I've lost my "fair and balanced" WoV coverage.

I.e. IT'S CALLED GLOBAL CLIMATE CHANGE NOW NOT GLOBAL WARMING GEEZ
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
EvenBob
EvenBob
December 17th, 2013 at 10:32:39 PM permalink
Is this Face giving a driving lesson with a front wheel
drive car? He loves those in the front drive cars in winter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=YeqG0CqzHq4#t=0
Face
Administrator
Face
December 18th, 2013 at 6:06:49 AM permalink

Is this Face giving a driving lesson with a front wheel
drive car? He loves those in the front drive cars in winter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=YeqG0CqzHq4#t=0

Deathtrap! Won't ever catch me in a FWD in the winter. Thanks for supplying the video to support my winter driving advice =)

I'll be heading to da U.P. come February. And it'll be in a 440ci, rear wheel drive MOPAR ;)

Edit: Oh, and I noticed I mentioned the snow earlier in this thread. It started Tuesday and never let up until Monday. We had a day repreive, and now it's right back at it, hard as ever.

65" by last count. Bring it on!!
Keyser
Keyser
  • Threads: 35
December 30th, 2013 at 11:47:25 AM permalink
'Stuck in our own experiment': Leader of trapped team insists polar ice is melting

The leader of a scientific expedition whose ship remains stranded in Antarctic ice says the team, which set out to prove climate change, is "stuck in our own experiment."

But Chris Turney, a professor of climate change at Australia’s University of New South Wales, said it was “silly” to suggest he and 73 others aboard the MV Akademic Shokalskiy were trapped in ice they’d sought to prove had melted. He remained adamant that sea ice is melting, even as the boat remained trapped in frozen seas.

“We were just in the wrong place at the wrong time.”

- Professor Chris Turney, leader of trapped expedition

"We're stuck in our own experiment," the Australasian Antarctic Expedition said in a statement. We came to Antarctica to study how one of the biggest icebergs in the world has altered the system by trapping ice. We ... are now ourselves trapped by ice surrounding our ship.

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2013/12/30/stuck-in-our-own-experiment-leader-trapped-team-insists-polar-ice-is-melting/

Now this is funny on so many levels. For starters, the phrase, "climate change". Why aren't they still calling it "global warming"? I guess it's so that in the end, they can say that they've proved that "climate change" is happening.

-Keyser
Sabretom2
Sabretom2
  • Threads: 11
December 30th, 2013 at 12:17:33 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Here in Vegas, after my dog takes a s**t, I can see the steam rising off of it.

That's cold enough.
Sabretom2
Sabretom2
  • Threads: 11
December 30th, 2013 at 12:23:31 PM permalink
"But Chris Turney, a professor of climate change at Australia’s University of New South Wales, said it was “silly” to suggest he and 73 others aboard the MV Akademic Shokalskiy were trapped in ice they’d sought to prove had melted. He remained adamant that sea ice is melting, even as the boat remained trapped in frozen seas."

A line from Blazing Saddles comes to mind; "gentlemen, gentlemen, we must protect our phoney bologna jobs "
EvenBob
EvenBob
December 30th, 2013 at 12:33:40 PM permalink
Quote: Sabretom2

A line from Blazing Saddles comes to mind; "gentlemen, gentlemen, we must protect our phoney bologna jobs "

Just like all the Dems saying Obamacare is wonderful,
just give it a chance. When they have no idea what's
coming.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 212
December 30th, 2013 at 1:05:14 PM permalink
It's so cold out there, I actually saw a lawyer with his hand in his own pocket.

Thanks david letterman for the only joke I never forget.

22°F
I am a robot.
treetopbuddy
treetopbuddy
  • Threads: 34
January 4th, 2014 at 6:20:11 AM permalink
More record lows. We need global cooling so things will warm up.
Each day is better than the next
Face
Administrator
Face
January 4th, 2014 at 6:25:31 AM permalink
It's cold enough that I cannot get my house over 60*F. Pretty irritating
terapined
terapined
January 4th, 2014 at 7:18:49 AM permalink
What's your weekend weather forecast?
My weekend forecast
Warm Saturday, even warmer Sunday

Love living in Tampa , shorts weather today. woohoo
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
January 4th, 2014 at 7:21:30 AM permalink
deleted
teliot
teliot
  • Threads: 43
January 4th, 2014 at 7:47:09 AM permalink
Quote: treetopbuddy

More record lows. We need global cooling so things will warm up.

There has been record warmth here since November. Incredible. Every day is 15 to 20 degrees above normal, and that is continuing, according to the weather, for at least the next 10 days. Highs in the 70's, lows in the 40's. Only 20% of normal rainfall over the last 12 months, worst year on record.
Climate Casino: https://climatecasino.net/climate-casino/
terapined
terapined
January 4th, 2014 at 8:07:50 AM permalink
Quote: Ibeatyouraces

Now we'll laugh at you when you're rebuilding after the next hurricane ;-), j/k of course!

You are right, we love our warm weather but we are in hurricane country.
It would be scary if we got hit. Pinellas county next door is known as "gods waiting room." Whole county will be under water if a hurricane strikes.
On the flip side, Tampa has never ever gotten a direct hit. knock on wood. I live in a level D evacuation zone. I am good as long as storm surge under 22 feet.
Plus I have an RV camper. I could live literally anywhere if it came to that
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
January 4th, 2014 at 8:13:01 AM permalink
deleted
kenarman
kenarman
  • Threads: 28
January 4th, 2014 at 8:33:31 AM permalink
Quote: Face

It's cold enough that I cannot get my house over 60*F. Pretty irritating

Face if you have a forced air furnace try taking the filter out. Even when the filters are clean they restrict the flow somewhat.

An old Canadian trick.
Be careful when you follow the masses, the M is sometimes silent.
Face
Administrator
Face
January 4th, 2014 at 8:53:51 AM permalink
Quote: kenarman

Face if you have a forced air furnace try taking the filter out. Even when the filters are clean they restrict the flow somewhat.

An old Canadian trick.

Base board. Just a bunch of insulation leaks I'm too lazy to address, cuz I only notice when it's too cold to fix lol. Supposed to be up to 20*F today, so no worries.

And thanks, terapined, but I'd rather live in Thunder Bay than Tampa Bay. Dunno the weather as I can't care enough to check, but when in town at 1p yesterday, it was 6*F.
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
January 4th, 2014 at 11:02:48 AM permalink
It was -8 last night.
A falling knife has no handle.
Face
Administrator
Face
January 4th, 2014 at 11:15:19 AM permalink
Quote: Mosca

It was -8 last night.

That which whacked me must have made it to you. Stay warm, my friend. Relief is but a day away.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
January 4th, 2014 at 12:31:07 PM permalink
Monday they're predicting HIGHS of -10 to -15 in Minneapolis, Chicago, Detroit. Relief will likely be short-lived...
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
EvenBob
EvenBob
January 4th, 2014 at 12:40:03 PM permalink
Quote: terapined

What's your weekend weather forecast?
My weekend forecast
Warm Saturday, even warmer Sunday

Love living in Tampa , shorts weather today. woohoo

I lived in Hawaii for a year and SoCalif for
7 years. God forgive me if I was ever rude
enough to brag about living in a warm
climate in the winter. Like it takes any brains
to do that, like half the people who live in
those places aren't drooling halfwits. That's
why I moved, too many drooling halfwits.
Face
Administrator
Face
January 4th, 2014 at 12:46:50 PM permalink

God forgive me if I was ever rude
enough to brag about living in a warm
climate in the winter.

I didn't find it rude, but I did have to chuckle. In three short months I'll be enjoying 60s and sunshine, while everyone in his parts will be squishing around with swamp ass for 9 months of the year XD
EvenBob
EvenBob
January 4th, 2014 at 1:06:32 PM permalink
Quote: Face

I didn't find it rude, but I did have to chuckle. In three short months I'll be enjoying 60s and sunshine, while everyone in his parts will be squishing around with swamp ass for 9 months of the year XD

Not only that, you're just as limited in the winter
in warm climates as everybody else is if you have
a day job. It's getting dark in FL at 5pm in Dec
and Jan and in SoCalif, it's fully dark at 5. So
it's warmer, big deal. And it rains a lot, so making
plans on weekends sucks. To play golf I had to
wait for a nice day and miss work, no thanks.
  • Jump to: