Brad90956
Joined: Apr 8, 2010
  • Threads: 4
  • Posts: 9
April 8th, 2010 at 3:42:25 PM permalink
I am going to Las Vegas in late April. I plan on betting the Kentucky Derby at a Sportsbook. If my horse cashes, how do I go about redeeming my winning ticket when I will not physically be in Las Vegas?
nyuhoosier
Joined: Feb 16, 2010
  • Threads: 31
  • Posts: 248
April 8th, 2010 at 4:02:18 PM permalink
On the back of the betting slip will be an address with instructions on how to mail in the slip. The casino will promptly cut you a check, and from what I hear, the sports books are even better about paying mailed-in slips than those cashed in person. For example, if you exceed the posted "expiration date," you're much more likely to succeed in getting it cashed if you drop it in the mail.
Brad90956
Joined: Apr 8, 2010
  • Threads: 4
  • Posts: 9
April 8th, 2010 at 6:11:48 PM permalink
OK...Thanks
RPToro
Joined: Apr 10, 2010
  • Threads: 7
  • Posts: 68
May 19th, 2010 at 9:22:09 AM permalink
Quote: nyuhoosier

On the back of the betting slip will be an address with instructions on how to mail in the slip. The casino will promptly cut you a check, and from what I hear, the sports books are even better about paying mailed-in slips than those cashed in person. For example, if you exceed the posted "expiration date," you're much more likely to succeed in getting it cashed if you drop it in the mail.

Anyone have any experience trying to cash in a winning ticket a couple weeks after the expiration date? Headed to Vegas this weekend, and realized the NFL ticket I have expired 120 DAYS after the end of the reg season (1/3)..! I thought it was A YEAR!

BTW, the ticket is from Bellagio
Wizard
Joined: Oct 14, 2009
  • Threads: 735
  • Posts: 12821
May 19th, 2010 at 9:53:38 AM permalink
Expired tickets are honored almost all the time, like 99%. Sometimes they can't do it at the window, and request that you mail it in. The Bellagio is an honorable place, so I'm quite sure they'll accept it.

For more on this topic, see my page on lost and expired tickets.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
likeplayingcrapsandbj
Joined: May 17, 2010
  • Threads: 17
  • Posts: 135
May 19th, 2010 at 10:54:09 AM permalink
Last week I saw a woman trying to cash 2 expired tickets at MB and they refused her. I just happen to be standing there and overheard. She went through several levels of people and they refused. That has been my only experience.
Last Man at the Table
Wizard
Joined: Oct 14, 2009
  • Threads: 735
  • Posts: 12821
May 19th, 2010 at 12:27:40 PM permalink
Quote: likeplayingcrapsandbj

Last week I saw a woman trying to cash 2 expired tickets at MB and they refused her. I just happen to be standing there and overheard. She went through several levels of people and they refused. That has been my only experience.



Wow. That surprises me. Based on this, and other anecdotal stories, I think the frequency of expired tickets being denied is going up. I think you can tell a lot about the honor of a casino by their policy on expired tickets.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
RPToro
Joined: Apr 10, 2010
  • Threads: 7
  • Posts: 68
May 19th, 2010 at 2:26:11 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Expired tickets are honored almost all the time, like 99%. Sometimes they can't do it at the window, and request that you mail it in. The Bellagio is an honorable place, so I'm quite sure they'll accept it.

For more on this topic, see my page on lost and expired tickets.



Thanks for the feedback! I went ahead and called Bellagio to see what their take was, and they were very helpful. Here's what happened.

They connected me to someone in the office at the Sportsbook. She told me that sometimes you can redeem them at the casino after the expired date, it just depends on how "current" the employees have been with purging the system. So if they haven't purged it yet, it may still be there. (In my case, the event date was like 135 days ago, so I may have luck) So she said it definitely won't hurt to try. If it's no longer in their system, she said that they typically have no problem honoring a mailed-in ticket for 6 months after the event.
nyuhoosier
Joined: Feb 16, 2010
  • Threads: 31
  • Posts: 248
May 19th, 2010 at 2:55:19 PM permalink
Quote: likeplayingcrapsandbj

Last week I saw a woman trying to cash 2 expired tickets at MB and they refused her. I just happen to be standing there and overheard. She went through several levels of people and they refused. That has been my only experience.



Does MB mean Mandalay Bay? I had to go to Cheapo Vegas to figure out what that might mean.
Wizard
Joined: Oct 14, 2009
  • Threads: 735
  • Posts: 12821
May 19th, 2010 at 3:41:56 PM permalink
I assume that is what the writer meant. No other casino in Vegas goes by those initials. You could have also gone to my hotels list.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.

  • Jump to: