cclub79
cclub79
  • Threads: 35
April 2nd, 2010 at 5:54:59 AM permalink
I thought this article would be of interest to our community...I see this type of story every once and a while, but that fact that it was published on April 1 makes it a bit ironic...

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/89689007.html
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
April 2nd, 2010 at 6:01:52 AM permalink
I think a bit of history in appropriate right here after reading about the great loss to the Pennsylvania Lottery fund.

When Casanova escaped from the Italian City States and made his way to Paris he was well-received at court and became a financial advisor to the King. In order to support the King's military academy Casanova recommended a lottery and the King was a bit wary of committing himself to paying out a stupendous prize even though only one ticket might be sold for a measley sou. Casanova replied that there was very little chance of that happening but that absolutely nothing would be better for the Royal Treasury than for the King to have to pay out millions in return for one sou.

The publicity that the Pennsylvania lottery will receive over this "loss" will boost sales for months! I expect the lottery fund will recover the loss in less than three weeks.
cclub79
cclub79
April 2nd, 2010 at 6:09:41 AM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

I think a bit of history in appropriate right here after reading about the great loss to the Pennsylvania Lottery fund.

When Casanova escaped from the Italian City States and made his way to Paris he was well-received at court and became a financial advisor to the King. In order to support the King's military academy Casanova recommended a lottery and the King was a bit wary of committing himself to paying out a stupendous prize even though only one ticket might be sold for a measley sou. Casanova replied that there was very little chance of that happening but that absolutely nothing would be better for the Royal Treasury than for the King to have to pay out millions in return for one sou.

The publicity that the Pennsylvania lottery will receive over this "loss" will boost sales for months! I expect the lottery fund will recover the loss in less than three weeks.

Exactly...even with the $7 million loss, they said that they still made money for March, which was entirely BEFORE the publicity.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
April 2nd, 2010 at 6:10:04 AM permalink
Ofcourse when Arthur Flegenheimer, otherwise known as Dutch Schultz, had a popular Triple show up as the numbers winner, he was shot to death with garlic coated bullets that make a gut shot even more painful.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
April 2nd, 2010 at 8:27:07 AM permalink
Quote: cclub79

I thought this article would be of interest to our community...I see this type of story every once and a while, but that fact that it was published on April 1 makes it a bit ironic...

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/89689007.html

RATS--someone beat me to this. Well, I can still make the comments I was going to. Note that the article states "quads" come up about once every three years and 7777 has hit 3 times in 30 years. 30 x 365 = 10950 possible days. I will adjust this to 10,500 since for many years they didn't draw on Sundays.

10500/3 = 3,500. So 7777 is hiting once every 3500 days when it should hit once every 10,000 days, or once every 27 years.

But now that it hits me, for years they only drew "Big4" on Saturdays then only Wednsdays and Saturdays!

How long until some tout states 7777 is "good" to bet?

Or did I totally mess up the math?
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
cclub79
cclub79
April 2nd, 2010 at 8:40:04 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

RATS--someone beat me to this. Well, I can still make the comments I was going to. Note that the article states "quads" come up about once every three years and 7777 has hit 3 times in 30 years. 30 x 365 = 10950 possible days. I will adjust this to 10,500 since for many years they didn't draw on Sundays.

10500/3 = 3,500. So 7777 is hiting once every 3500 days when it should hit once every 10,000 days, or once every 27 years.

But now that it hits me, for years they only drew "Big4" on Saturdays then only Wednsdays and Saturdays!

How long until some tout states 7777 is "good" to bet?

Or did I totally mess up the math?

I believe they do a midday drawing now as well, but I don't know for how many years that has happened. In NJ they've had midday drawings of Pick3 & Pick4 at least since the 90s.
Even with 10500 drawings and 10000 combinations, there's nowhere near enough statistically significant evidence.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
April 2nd, 2010 at 8:45:59 AM permalink
Quote: cclub79

I believe they do a midday drawing now as well, but I don't know for how many years that has happened. In NJ they've had midday drawings of Pick3 & Pick4 at least since the 90s.
Even with 10500 drawings and 10000 combinations, there's nowhere near enough statistically significant evidence.

That is my point, it isn't enough but someone will tout that it is.

I don't follow the PA Lottery at all as it is a suckers game. The only guy to beat the system was Nick Perry. They made a movie slightly based on it.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
  • Jump to: