Thread Rating:

Boz
Boz
  • Threads: 134
May 12th, 2013 at 10:02:58 AM permalink
Finaly hit with True Religion for a nice gain on buyout info. Still not as good as if I would have sold it last year, but still a good profit. Coach is coming back and I just need to pick a sell number and I am done with Luxury Retailers for a while.
Beardgoat
Beardgoat
  • Threads: 27
May 12th, 2013 at 6:24:41 PM permalink
Thanks for the info s2dbaker
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
  • Threads: 51
May 12th, 2013 at 8:11:46 PM permalink
Quote: Boz

Finaly hit with True Religion for a nice gain on buyout info. Still not as good as if I would have sold it last year, but still a good profit. Coach is coming back and I just need to pick a sell number and I am done with Luxury Retailers for a while.

My portfolio is a confused jumble at the moment. I currently have cash in my account so I'm off margin. I think I'm going to stay off margin until something negative happens. I'm still looking for that 1000 to 2000 point correction in the Dow. The trick is catching the falling knife but first the knife must fall. I keep seeing the market rise and it scares me. It's like 1987 all over again. All we need is a run on the Yen and a poor M1 money supply report and BOOM 508.12 point loss!
Quote: Beardgoat

Thanks for the info s2dbaker

You're welcome :)
Someday, joor goin' to see the name of Googie Gomez in lights and joor goin' to say to joorself, "Was that her?" and then joor goin' to answer to joorself, "That was her!" But you know somethin' mister? I was always her yuss nobody knows it! - Googie Gomez
Beardgoat
Beardgoat
  • Threads: 27
May 12th, 2013 at 9:08:15 PM permalink
Sounds like you think it's a good idea to sit out a while then?
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
May 13th, 2013 at 3:13:52 AM permalink
Quote: Beardgoat

Sounds like you think it's a good idea to sit out a while then?

Yes but I also use myself as a contra-indicator because I am notoriously and consistently wrong when it comes to timing to market.
Someday, joor goin' to see the name of Googie Gomez in lights and joor goin' to say to joorself, "Was that her?" and then joor goin' to answer to joorself, "That was her!" But you know somethin' mister? I was always her yuss nobody knows it! - Googie Gomez
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
May 15th, 2013 at 5:00:09 PM permalink
Quote: Me

... GME is at $38.38 ...

1 Wide) The Long Strangle
Buy GME May 18 $39.50 Call @ $0.31
Buy GME May 18 $37.00 Put @ $0.27
Total cost (sans commission and fees ) $0.58 and I make money when it moves beyond the range $36.42 to $40.08
Risk of ruin $0.58 * 1800 = $1044
I could buy 18 with $1044

I didn't pull the trigger on this trade. GameStop closed at $38.99 but still has tomorrow and Friday to shuffle about. I'll post a Profit or Loss report after Friday's close. I'm doing this mainly for myself as a learning tool. If I don't write things down, I forget about them.
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
May 16th, 2013 at 4:35:41 AM permalink
I bought 4 put options on WMT ($80 strike price, Friday expiration) for $1.15 each at the close yesterday. Walmart just reported some ugly numbers. I just knew I should have gone with the much cheaper $77.50 options. Now I'm kicking myself.
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
May 17th, 2013 at 5:30:15 PM permalink
GME Closed at $39.76 (very close to its high mark of the day) which means that my strangle would have lost money. Value at Close: Puts, $0.00 + Calls, $0.26 - Cost $0.58 = Loss of $0.32 or $576.00 on the 18 Contracts.

On a lighter note, I sold everything at the close today, locking in the largest profit that I've ever made on a stock in one week. Thank you SolarCity!! I'm a little bit depressed in that I will never see that happen again in my portfolio in my lifetime but it sure was a fun ride! I shall cry all the way to the bank.

Next week is a new week. I have no intuition, no inkling, no feeling about the direction next week and that spooked me so I liquidated. I can always buy back.
steeldco
steeldco
  • Threads: 52
May 17th, 2013 at 5:34:36 PM permalink
s2dbaker, it is interesting that you say that you've liquidated. I have lately been talking myself into, for the first time in my investing experience, possibly liquidating everything also. Even though I'm a long term investor, I feel that there is much better value in the near future. My belief is that the market will soon start anticipating rising interest rates and it ain't gonna be good. I haven't done that yet but.....
DO NOT blindly accept what has been spoken. DO NOT blindly accept what has been written. Think. Assess. Lead. DO NOT blindly follow.
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
May 17th, 2013 at 5:43:15 PM permalink
Quote: steeldco

s2dbaker, it is interesting that you say that you've liquidated. I have lately been talking myself into, for the first time in my investing experience, possibly liquidating everything also. Even though I'm a long term investor, I feel that there is much better value in the near future. My belief is that the market will soon start anticipating rising interest rates and it ain't gonna be good. I haven't done that yet but.....

When I liquidate, it usually lasts about a weekend. I'm pure speculation and in this very bullish market, I've done well. I'm timing the top and I know my timing stinks but like I say and do, I can always buy back on Monday. Who knows, one of these days, I may time it perfectly and be sitting on a wheelbarrow of cash when the market turns nasty, just waiting to jump back in when it gets oversold.

• Jump to: