Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1491
October 1st, 2012 at 6:21:38 AM permalink
I just posted a review of Dancing Queen, which plays at the NYNY. Was I being too harsh? I've been in a salty mood lately, and when I am the poison pen has a tendency to come out.

As always, I welcome all comments and corrections.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
tsmith
tsmith
  • Threads: 19
October 1st, 2012 at 6:57:33 AM permalink
Why in the world would they include Motown songs from the 60s in a show about ABBA? Right there the whole thing loses credibility.

I'm not a big fan of ABBA or disco music in general, but with a name like "Dancing Queen" I would've expected there to be dance routines done to the songs, but it sounds like there was none of that.

Wiz, I don't think you were too harsh with your review. If someone wants to do a tribute show to a certain group, whether it be ABBA or The Beatles or whoever, they should remain true to the music and not insult that group's fans.

(edited) BTW, I too don't like it when lyrics are changed to make them politically correct. I never heard anything about "Bridge Over Troubled Water" supposedly being about drugs -- I personally think it is one of the most beautiful songs Paul Simon ever wrote -- but if Ms. Rimes didn't like what she thought the lyrics were about, why did she record the song at all? Why not just leave it alone and sing something else?

I have the same quibble with the Kentucky Derby, when they sing "My Old Kentucky Home" and change the lyrics to " 'tis summer, the children are gay." If they find the original lyrics so offensive why not just use some other song? How easy would that be?

Songs reflect the times in which they were written. In a way they are a musical reflection of our history. If part of "Old Man River" bothers you, leave it out of your repertoire. If you can't sing a song the way it was written and accept that it was written that way because it made sense at the time, then just don't sing it.
teddys
teddys
  • Threads: 150
October 1st, 2012 at 7:25:17 AM permalink
Header says "Absinthe." I assume that's just a placeholder.
---------------------------
Nice review. Negative reviews are often more entertaining than positive ones. Roger Ebert sells his negative reviews packaged together in books.
--------------------------
I saw Jubilee! this weekend. I thought it was really excellent.
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
WongBo
WongBo
  • Threads: 62
October 1st, 2012 at 7:31:36 AM permalink
(The link goes to a page called Absinthe.)

I like an honest review, and would have been irritated by Motown hits.
The Abba catalog can support a 65 minute show you would think!
In a bet, there is a fool and a thief. - Proverb.
Headlock
Headlock
  • Threads: 22
October 1st, 2012 at 7:32:27 AM permalink
Mike, I agree with your review. My wife and I wasted our time and money on this show early in September. I was very disappointed.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
October 1st, 2012 at 7:46:49 AM permalink
Normally I would have complained more about the non-ABBA songs, especially those outside of the 70's, but by the time they played the first non-ABBA set I felt the show already couldn't get any worse. The arrangement of every song was the same, so what difference did it make? If anything, maybe I was a little glad they were perverting the music of somebody besides ABBA for a change.

Regarding the interpretation of "silver girl" being a heroin needle, in any forum about music lyrics there will always be somebody claiming that to be the case, as well as lots of other drug references in the song. I used to know a guy who found a Satanic plot in just about everything outside of the most conservative churches, which is where I first hear the theory.

Thanks for the correction on the header.
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
October 1st, 2012 at 8:04:10 AM permalink
So, exactly how bad/different were these covers? Are we talking Marilyn Manson performing Sweet Dreams, or more like Nicki French's Total Eclipse of the Heart?
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
tsmith
tsmith
October 1st, 2012 at 8:12:50 AM permalink
Wow, I never realized there were that many cover versions of "Bridge ..." And Lee Ann Rimes was the only one who felt compelled to change the words?

It's one of what I call my "rainy day" songs, along with Barber's "Adagio for Strings". I once heard the "Adagio" on the radio on a beautiful, sunshiney day and it immediately put me into a sad mood for the rest of the day. "Bridge" does that to me too. I can't listen to it if I'm feeling happy and energetic.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
October 1st, 2012 at 8:16:26 AM permalink
Quote: rdw4potus

So, exactly how bad/different were these covers? Are we talking Marilyn Manson performing Sweet Dreams, or more like Nicki French's Total Eclipse of the Heart?

I'm not familiar with those covers you refer to. I could compare it to karaoke (I can never remember how to spell that word) music. The arrangements were too electronic, bland, and fast. The singing was also the same in every number. Certainly better than I could do by an order of magnitude, but lacking in feeling, if you know what I mean. By the way, I suspect the vocals were at least partially lip synched.
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
  • Threads: 51
October 1st, 2012 at 8:23:01 AM permalink
I generally despise juke-box musicals. Xanadu was the only exception.
Someday, joor goin' to see the name of Googie Gomez in lights and joor goin' to say to joorself, "Was that her?" and then joor goin' to answer to joorself, "That was her!" But you know somethin' mister? I was always her yuss nobody knows it! - Googie Gomez
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
October 1st, 2012 at 8:30:30 AM permalink
Quote: tsmith

And Lee Ann Rimes was the only one who felt compelled to change the words?

Maybe others did too. The only reason I know that Rimes changed the lyrics was that I used to like her, and bought the CD with that cover on it. However, after hearing the change in lyrics I lost all respect for her.
WongBo
WongBo
  • Threads: 62
October 1st, 2012 at 8:50:09 AM permalink
Covering a song is fine and usually requires permission from the artist.
I am surprised Paul Simon approved her changing the lyric.
I can't imagine the ego required to change a song that was so hugely popular,
arguably the defining song of S+G.
In a bet, there is a fool and a thief. - Proverb.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
October 1st, 2012 at 9:36:59 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Was I being too harsh? I've been in a salty mood lately, and when I am the poison pen has a tendency to come out.

There is enough public relations crap out there, so its really good to have an honest opinion even if you later feel your barbs were a bit too sharp. Why write pablum, that is what publicity hacks have to write. You are free to be more honest even if at times you later think it was too honest.

I'm not the type for shows or rock 'n roll songs. I would have expected the performers to be costumed in a style reminiscent of actual ABBA appearances in concerts or videos and I would expect it to be ABBA music, not ABBA via dubstep or something.

As to peripheral decorations in a multi-use venue, heck, can't they just buy these presentation boards used at trade shows wherein you set one side to a theme for one show and then flip it over to show a theme for the next show. Its like a quick set change... takes two minutes. Nothing fancy, just simple and suggestive of the era.

As to lyrics changes, I too am opposed to them. I'd actually favor something like Steven Foster's works in the original vernacular rather than the "sanitized" racially neutral versions we hear today. At a memorial performance for a young Freshman girl one of my favorite nightclub acts sang Dirty Old Town and I felt it was almost an insult to her memory that they sang the politically correct "chamber of commerce" version rather than the original lyrics. An insult to her memory and an insult to the audience. Perhaps others are less sensitive to such things.

I know there are zillions of rumors about double meanings in song lyrics and also some people still think its "There's a bathroom on the right". I guess whatever they enjoy hearing is best.

So, keep the review unedited. If you were a bit too harsh on them, leave it. That is better than pablum.
FarFromVegas
FarFromVegas
  • Threads: 7
October 1st, 2012 at 10:19:26 AM permalink
The 'I've Got Sunshine' song is called My Girl.

I actually don't mind when songs are updated or changed, but only if they are better or substantially different after the change. I quite enjoy Marilyn Manson's version of Sweet Dreams because it becomes ironic. However, the audience reaction seems to mirror yours, in that the changes pretty much sucked the life out of the music.

I share your appreciation for 70's music since we're contemporaries (okay, I'm a year older) but I understand it isn't considered cool. When my sister (who is your age) and I go on a road trip she breaks out her iPod full of stuff she can't listen to without her husband rolling his eyes because I'll sing along with her.
Each of us is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts. Preparing for a fight about your bad decision is not as smart as making a good decision.
Tiltpoul
Tiltpoul
  • Threads: 32
October 1st, 2012 at 10:44:58 AM permalink
Quote: WongBo

The Abba catalog can support a 65 minute show you would think!

I'm pretty sure the quintessential ABBA Gold album is at least 60 minutes long, though that album does include a couple slow numbers that obviously wouldn't fit into the high-paced, high-speed show.

I don't think the review is too harsh either. I'm not sure why Vegas feels like they need to reinvent Mamma Mia! Yes, it had a nice run, but if MGM wanted it back, it wouldn't be hard to find the right venue for it. They got rid of it for a reason.

I also don't understand the inclusion of songs that aren't ABBA, especially when the poster said it was a tribute to ABBA. You could ALMOST claim false advertising and ask for your money back, though I'm pretty sure that would get you nowhere very quickly. Tribute shows tend to be really bad... in fact, tribute bands tend to be bad, unless they cover a certain era, and aren't specific to one group. There's an 80s band based out of Chicago called Sixteen Candles that was amazing.

I'm not much into drag performing, but this might work better as a drag dance revue... at least it would give the audience a guessing game while sitting through an otherwise horrendous performance.
"One out of every four people are [morons]"- Kyle, South Park
tsmith
tsmith
October 1st, 2012 at 10:55:32 AM permalink
There's a group out of Australia, called Human Nature, that does a Motown tribute. For a bunch of white guys not only do they sound just like the original groups -- even the girl groups! -- but also use all the same tight back-up dance steps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evskwHR12UU
bigfoot66
bigfoot66
  • Threads: 54
October 1st, 2012 at 11:10:02 AM permalink
Quote: tsmith

I have the same quibble with the Kentucky Derby, when they sing "My Old Kentucky Home" and change the lyrics to " 'tis summer, the children are gay." If they find the original lyrics so offensive why not just use some other song? How easy would that be?

I understand your point here but singing 'the darkies are gay' is a pretty direct reference to the racist system of several years ago. Although I admit when I hear the song I still snicker at that part, so maybe it would be best not to sing it at all.
Vote for Nobody 2020!
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
October 1st, 2012 at 11:30:19 AM permalink
Quote: bigfoot66

I understand your point here but singing 'the darkies are gay' is a pretty direct reference to the racist system of several years ago. Although I admit when I hear the song I still snicker at that part, so maybe it would be best not to sing it at all.

This is an interesting example of PC-gone-bad. So, "darkies" is a problem here, but not "gay?" Then why does Maria suddenly have to feel "bright" in West Side Story? These children can be gay, but Maria can't? Really?

It's like how the TV edit of Die Hard with a Vengeance replaces "you racist MFer" with "you racist melon farmer." Because replacing cursing with actual racism in a sentence about racism makes sense...
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
October 1st, 2012 at 11:41:49 AM permalink
I found it absurd when in the video for The Homecoming Queen's Got a Gun that they changed the lyric from the album version "Are you having a really bad period?" to "You'll get suspended if you don't quit it!" in the video. I'm not big on censorship of anything, but it is strange what we find offensive sometimes.
bigfoot66
bigfoot66
  • Threads: 54
October 1st, 2012 at 12:08:25 PM permalink
Like when Warner Brothers released a classic Bugs Bunny DVD collection that included the WWII era cartoon "Bugs Bunny Nips the Nips". That caused a big stir too.
Vote for Nobody 2020!
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
  • Threads: 262
October 1st, 2012 at 3:24:45 PM permalink

I just posted a review of Dancing Queen, which plays at the NYNY. Was I being too harsh? I've been in a salty mood lately, and when I am the poison pen has a tendency to come out.

Well I'm guessing that this line taken from your review
won't end up on any of their promotional literature !

"At least I feel a little better after writing this, like I do
after puking following a night of too much drinking".
There's emptiness behind their eyes There's dust in all their hearts They just want to steal us all and take us all apart
teddys
teddys
  • Threads: 150
October 1st, 2012 at 3:51:02 PM permalink
Quote: bigfoot66

Ooh. That's bad. I didn't know those were the lyrics.

What about the sequence that ends, "The little faggot's a millionaire," in Dire Straits' Money For Nothing that is usually edited out?
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
Boz
Boz
  • Threads: 155
October 1st, 2012 at 4:02:31 PM permalink
Not sure if it is the same group or not, but Bally's AC had a show with the same name a couple of years back and it also was bad. Many of the same complaints you had. I wonder sometimes if anyone is concerned about the quality of these shows or is just looking to make a buck?

Nevermind I think I know the answer because I paid to see "Viva Elvis".
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
October 1st, 2012 at 5:13:06 PM permalink

Maybe others did too. The only reason I know that Rimes changed the lyrics was that I used to like her, and bought the CD with that cover on it. However, after hearing the change in lyrics I lost all respect for her.

ps:

Leann Rimes at LVH Dec 13 - 15.
There's emptiness behind their eyes There's dust in all their hearts They just want to steal us all and take us all apart
1BB
1BB
  • Threads: 18
October 2nd, 2012 at 2:41:36 AM permalink
Quote: teddys

Ooh. That's bad. I didn't know those were the lyrics.

What about the sequence that ends, "The little faggot's a millionaire," in Dire Straits' Money For Nothing that is usually edited out?

Does anyone who grew up in the '50s or '60s remember using Eeny, meeny, miny, moe to choose teams on the playground?
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
October 2nd, 2012 at 3:16:55 AM permalink
Quote: 1BB

Does anyone who grew up in the '50s or '60s remember using Eeny, meeny, miny, moe to choose teams on the playground?

In our little suburb, the second and third
lines were:

- "Catch a tiger by the toe,
- If he hollers, let him go"

So, good for us ? Even way back in the
1960's.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
October 2nd, 2012 at 3:39:38 AM permalink
Quote: JohnnyQ

In our little suburb, the second and third lines were: "Catch a tiger by the toe, If he hollers, let him go".

Now that would have been offensive to me though I'm sure some teachers would see an advantage in encouraging little brats to play with tigers. Then of course my favorite children's books are The Magic World Inside The Abandoned Refrigerator and How Mr. Fork Met Miss Electrical Outlet.
FarFromVegas
FarFromVegas
  • Threads: 7
October 2nd, 2012 at 3:45:21 AM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

In our little suburb, the second and third lines were: "Catch a tiger by the toe, If he hollers, let him go".

Now that would have been offensive to me though I'm sure some teachers would see an advantage in encouraging little brats to play with tigers. Then of course my favorite children's books are The Magic World Inside The Abandoned Refrigerator and How Mr. Fork Met Miss Electrical Outlet.

I got that email, too! My kids still go around saying Mommy Drinks Because You Cry
Each of us is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts. Preparing for a fight about your bad decision is not as smart as making a good decision.
Boz
Boz
  • Threads: 155
October 2nd, 2012 at 6:04:50 AM permalink

In our little suburb, the second and third
lines were:

- "Catch a tiger by the toe,
- If he hollers, let him go"

So, good for us ? Even way back in the
1960's.

How times has changes, and for the better, but back East where I grew up we didnt say "Tiger", but an offense word to most everyone anymore for African Americans. It was even said on the schoolyard and nobody thought much of it. Would have never even remembered it until the above posts.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
October 2nd, 2012 at 7:32:53 AM permalink
Quote: 1BB

Hundreds of times! At some point I counted the words to calculate where I should start to control the outcome. If somebody else started, and I knew it wouldn't go my way, I would always protest when it came to "catch a." Some people would combine them into one word and some wouldn't. I would just take the opposite position to whatever the "randomizer" said.

I think I also figured out "ink a dink" too, which we did once in a while.
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
October 2nd, 2012 at 8:14:58 AM permalink
We said "tiger", but we knew what it really was. '60s for me, too.
A falling knife has no handle.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
October 2nd, 2012 at 9:54:10 AM permalink
Talk about a review losing credibility, how can you not like hypnotist shows?
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
October 2nd, 2012 at 10:27:40 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

Talk about a review losing credibility, how can you not like hypnotist shows?

"These are not the droids you're looking for...and you will like hypnotist shows"
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
  • Jump to: