LostWages
LostWages
  • Threads: 38
July 23rd, 2016 at 5:50:25 PM permalink
I've memorized the WOO's Basic Strategy card (21 cells), and I've been playing a couple of hundred hands every day or so on the WOO's Blackjack Game & Trainer.

I've read through several forums and other non-WOO websites. I think I know most of the basics and etiquette and do's and don't see from reading only.

My questions today is what should I do if I encounter some "mean" players at the table who might make snide comments about my play or that of fellow players.

I don't know the ropes yet, so I don't think I can hold my own. Plus, I'm somewhat of an introvert, not a talker. I read that I might want to avoid taking 3rd base as my seat choice.

Just tell the dealer to close me out and find another table?

Just ignore these people and suck it up in silence?

Maybe let my (hopefully better) play do the talking for me?

Thanks for the advice of the weathered players!
Eat real food . . . and you won't need medicine (or a lot less!)
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
July 23rd, 2016 at 5:54:38 PM permalink
Ignore them. Once you get more playing experience, then you laugh at them.
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
July 23rd, 2016 at 6:01:47 PM permalink
That's a tough one. Sometimes you encounter a jerk who will rag you. I've seen a jerk turn a whole table against a player, sometimes against myself. If someone is really harassing you, complain to the dealer and or the pit. People can criticize you but if it gets to the point of harassment speak up.
Luckily, in my experience those type are few and far between.
I find a good way to respond is ask them if they want to buy your hand and play it themselves. If they do, you just broke even on what was more than likely a bad hand, and if they don't say very loudly, "That's what I thought, money talks, BS walks or words to that effect. . Sit where you are comfortable. I like either first or third because you can stretch out a bit.

If you can, try not to play at prime hours when you start.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
LostWages
LostWages
July 23rd, 2016 at 6:20:19 PM permalink
While I can't prepare for ALL situations, I believe I CAN dictate when I play the first time - I didn't think of avoiding prime hours when there's lots of people. Thanks for all your tips, I feel a bit more comfortable already. I'm likely to post my newbie experiences on 2 occasions: first time playing on land (at the Cal, maybe elsewhere too), and first time playing at sea (taking a cruise to Mexico). :-)
LostWages
LostWages
July 23rd, 2016 at 6:21:12 PM permalink
I'm a patient one, so I will enjoy my laugh moment once I do have more playing experience! Thanks for the advice!
TwoFeathersATL
TwoFeathersATL
  • Threads: 37
July 23rd, 2016 at 7:06:17 PM permalink
You shouldn't run into too many serious jerks in a few hours at the tables, they are actually fairly rare.
You can just pretend you don't hear any snide comments.
As long as there are seats at other tables you can always move, and I suggest you do if the vibe isn't good at the table where you are playing.
If there aren't other seats at other tables, you are definitely within your right to ask for intervention from the dealer/Pit. I don't think I've actually seen that happen but assume it isn't that rare.

Don't talk loud back at them if you are one of those people that tend to spit when you talk loud!
Don't spill your drink on their chips, it can take forever to get that drink replaced sometimes ;-)
Youuuuuu MIGHT be a 'rascal' if.......(nevermind ;-)...2F
LostWages
LostWages
July 23rd, 2016 at 9:10:05 PM permalink
I hope to be as helpful as you have been, once I have some experience under my belt. Appreciate the different views and situations you've offered!
  • Jump to: