3 votes (30%)
3 votes (30%)

10 members have voted

Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
November 18th, 2016 at 6:34:51 PM permalink
Some of you thought I cheated in my first video solving the Rubik's Cube on a unicycle. This video is in response. Hopefully my skeptics will see my back was never to the camera and I didn't have anywhere to hide solved cube.

The question for the poll is which statements do you agree with? Multiple votes allowed.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
November 18th, 2016 at 7:23:02 PM permalink
But can you do it blindfolded?

Out of curiosity, how quickly can you solve a Rubin's cube without the unicycle and all that other stuff?

I think JoeShlabotnik got himself suspended on purpose so he wouldn't have to face the aftermath on WoV, because he knew Trump was most likely going to win. He took the easy way out.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
November 18th, 2016 at 7:30:12 PM permalink
Quote: RS

But can you do it blindfolded?

No way. It has been done before though. I saw a video of a guy who spent about a minute studying a cube without turning it, then put on a blindfold and solved it. That is amazing.

Quote:

Out of curiosity, how quickly can you solve a Rubin's cube without the unicycle and all that other stuff?

Around two minutes. In high school my average time was around 70 seconds, and that is back when not much was known about it.
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
November 18th, 2016 at 7:42:11 PM permalink
New world record from a couple of weeks ago.

https://youtu.be/tLksISrKtO8
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
November 19th, 2016 at 9:08:45 AM permalink
Quote: Ibeatyouraces

New world record from a couple of weeks ago.

https://youtu.be/tLksISrKtO8

Why do they let them study the cube before starting the timer? That never made sense to me.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
November 19th, 2016 at 10:20:17 AM permalink
Is Ringling Bros. hiring?
"What, me worry?"
EdCollins
EdCollins
  • Threads: 20
November 19th, 2016 at 11:15:35 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

No way. It has been done before though. I saw a video of a guy who spent about a minute studying a cube without turning it, then put on a blindfold and solved it. That is amazing.

Studying a cube? That's it? Ha!

Do a search on on Marcin Maskow Kowalczyk. This guy can solve multiple cubes blindfolded. I believe his current record is 41 cubes.

He looks at each cube, one a time, and then puts it aside. After looking at all 41 cubes, only then does he put on his blindfold. After putting on the blindfold he never takes it off again. He then proceeds to solve all of the cubes he previously looked at.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oU2tKYvDH2g

I don't believe it's a trick. He really is memorizing the steps needed to solve each one. There are also other videos of him doing this.

He's also not the only one who can do this, either. For example, here's a link to a guy who solved 17 while blindfolded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-y5xKA2zSQk

Congrats on an average solving time of about two minutes. That's about a minute faster than me. With the solving method I use, it usually takes me closer to three minutes to solve it.

Earlier this summer I got back into it again. For about a month, I was solving a cube four or five times each night, just to stay in practice. (Often I would do this while watching TV.) I currently own 13 different 3x3 cubes, but not all of them are Rubik's Cubes. Some of them are "speed cubes" made by a different manufacturer. (I like these better because these cubes turn much easier and faster than the Rubik's cube.)

What's funny is that I also own a 2x2 cube... that I DON'T yet know how to solve! I have to memorize an algorithm to solve it!
CrystalMath
CrystalMath
  • Threads: 8
November 19th, 2016 at 12:59:55 PM permalink
Quote: EdCollins

What's funny is that I also own a 2x2 cube... that I DON'T yet know how to solve! I have to memorize an algorithm to solve it!

I also have a 2x2 which I can't solve as fast as I solve a 3x3. I assumed it would use the same moves as the 3x3 just without having to solve the middle pieces. The issue is that once you solve the top cross on a 3x3, it limits the number of configurations of the top edge pieces to one that is solveable with known 3x3 algorithms. So, you must recognize when you need to use the algorithms that you would normally use to solve the cross. Of course, you could just learn 2x2 algorithms and solve it quickly.
I heart Crystal Math.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
November 19th, 2016 at 4:29:37 PM permalink
I'll have to get a 2x2x2. In high school I could solve the 4x4x4 in about 7 minutes. I've forgotten the routines a long time ago.

Here is a link (mostly for my own benefit) on fast cubes: Buying a Rubik's Cube – The Best Speed Cubes out There. Personally, I use the standard kind they carry in stores.
Pappa
Pappa
  • Threads: 0
November 20th, 2016 at 3:06:32 AM permalink
It seems that I am the Cube champion of WoO, my official single solve record time in competition is 22,65 seconds.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
November 21st, 2016 at 6:16:31 PM permalink
Is a non-food challenge brewing? Seems like we have a number of contenders...
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
  • Jump to: