1 vote (9.09%)
No votes (0%)

11 members have voted

Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
April 8th, 2016 at 5:27:01 PM permalink
I'd like to put in a very good word for the show Million Dollar Quartet. The story behind the show is that Elvis, Johnny Cash, Carl Perkins, and Jerry Lee Lewis were all at the same studio at the same time and I think informally played a little. I don't know how much of it is true, but the show makes a whole story out of it between songs.

The musicians seem outstanding in my non-expert opinion. Better than the real ones, to be honest with you. The one who really shines is Martin Kaye as Jerry Lee Lewis. I found this You Tube video of him (he's the one in the hat) at another show.

I'd suggest getting a seat in the front section and left side so you can have a clear view of him playing the piano.

If you see a lot of grey hair in the audience, don't let it think you're in for the Lawrence Welk show. The entertainers are all young and full of enthusiasm. This is a show anyone should be able to enjoy, even if the characters are "before your time." I think everyone will at least learn some Rock and Roll history through the story of the show.

The show is playing at Harrah's. Don't forget that Diamond members are entitled to two free show tickets a month, which is how I saw it.

The question for the poll is what do you give Million Dollar Quartet on a 0 to 4 scale?

Picture from the actual jam session.

"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
  • Threads: 262
April 9th, 2016 at 5:41:14 AM permalink
I saw this show last year and also thought it was very, very good. It exceeded my expectations and I would see it again if I have time on a future trip.

I don't think the show is advertised / publicized very well. I do recall seeing a poster in one of the elevators at Harrah's at one time, but that's about it. Maybe it is in some of the little freebie tourist monthly publications, but I don't look through those very often.
There's emptiness behind their eyes There's dust in all their hearts They just want to steal us all and take us all apart
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 46
April 9th, 2016 at 6:37:38 AM permalink
Quote: JohnnyQ

I don't think the show is advertised / publicized very well.

Just in case anyone is interested in attending this show while in town for the upcoming WoV 2016 Spring Fling, or at any other time for that matter, and doesn't encounter suitable ads, the official show ad and tickets are currently available at this site.

(I hope that commercial link doesn't violate any rules here.)
rsactuary
rsactuary
  • Threads: 29
April 9th, 2016 at 7:01:06 AM permalink
The story is in fact true, the meeting took place at Sun Records in Memphis. I have seen the show and it is indeed spectacular.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
April 9th, 2016 at 7:11:39 AM permalink
This show is available for free to Diamond and Seven Star card holders.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
April 9th, 2016 at 8:38:37 AM permalink
I agree 100% the show is not promoted well at all. However, the upside for us is that it is easier and cheaper to buy tickets. I'd call the show a hidden gem on the Strip.

I would not be surprised if somebody else on the Strip snatches them up once their contract with Harrah's expires and does a proper job of giving them the publicity they deserve. Ironically, this is similar to some of the plot-lines in the show itself.

Another idea is I think they should sell soundtracks to the show. I would have bought one.

Finally, my uncle has seen just about every family friendly show on Vegas, and is notoriously hard to please, spoke highly of this show too.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
Asswhoopermcdaddy
Asswhoopermcdaddy
  • Threads: 87
April 10th, 2016 at 4:52:46 PM permalink
Saw the show on Broadway in NY and thought it was very well done. Not sure if Vegas is better. I'd assume the venue is larger, but it's all about the singers.
BobDancer
BobDancer
  • Threads: 21
June 11th, 2016 at 10:42:15 PM permalink
I'll be seeing the show next week aboard the NCL Escape. Looking forward to it.

I took the tour of Sun Studios in Memphis a year or so ago --- and they made a big deal of all four singers and the fact that they did indeed get together.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
June 11th, 2016 at 11:51:18 PM permalink
Saw it on Broadway and was very impressed.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
  • Jump to: