JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
  • Threads: 262
April 3rd, 2015 at 7:56:45 PM permalink
Review of JUBILEE at BALLY's, April 2015
========================

It would be nice to see a classic Vegas show like Jubilee continue to succeed (it opened in 1981). It's an over the top, topless (the 9:30 show), big stage production with lots of singing and dancing and a ton of gorgeous showgirls. So what's not to love ? Unfortunately, the answer to that is quite a few things.

The singing is good. The dancing is good. The showgirl costumes are good and certainly elaborate.

But each big dance number sounds and feels interchangeable with the one before and the one after it. The song selections are also not well-known to the average ticket holder, so that opportunity to connect and engage with the audience is lost. Irving Berlin's "Puttin' on the Ritz" is the lone exception, made famous and part of our culture thanks to the hilarious Mel Brooks send-up in the 1974 Young Frankenstein movie and slightly more recently, Taco's one hit wonder back in 1983 during MTV's hey-day.

Serving that song straight-up didn't quite connect. Close (at least closer than the other numbers), but no cigar.

In fact, the only rousing and sustained applause during the entire show was generated by the lone variety act about 1/2 hour in. The Scott brothers, semi-finalists in NBC's 2012 season of America's Got Talent, delivered a very cool synchronized-robotic dance sequence that the audience loved. And then their ~10 minute segment was done and they were gone, so any momentum they generated was quickly lost with the very next song and dance number.

The official Caesar's website for Jubilee HERE has this to say:

"Nearly 100 showgirls and showboys kick, dance, sing and shimmy their way through 95 minutes of continuous over-the-top numbers like the sinking of the Titanic, and Samson and Delilah."

But judging from the comments I overheard when the show finally wrapped up after a duration of 80 tedious minutes, I was not the only one who was more than ready to leave. On the way out, it occurred to me that it was a good thing that they didn't have an intermission, because I think a significant portion of the audience would not have returned for the 2nd half. And this is even with a dozen or more beautiful topless showgirls parading around for a good portion of the show.

I hope someone takes some steps to save the show before the writing on the wall is in permanent ink. Afterall, the performers do a good job doing what they have been told to do. I think adding a couple of additional variety acts would go a long way to holding the audience's attention and interest. And there have to be a ton of those available in Vegas.

Another approach would be to play up the history and longevity of the show itself. Perhaps add an Emcee or Narrator to provide some historical background on the show or interesting in-side stories, and include some photos through the years projected onto a large screen.

Other show opinions (although the reference to Miss Jubilee in the first review below was NOT in the show I just saw):

http://www.reviewjournal.com/columns-blogs/entertainment/jubilee-reboot-strange-generic

https://wizardofvegas.com/shows/jubilee/
There's emptiness behind their eyes There's dust in all their hearts They just want to steal us all and take us all apart
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
April 3rd, 2015 at 8:14:36 PM permalink
We saw it in 2010. Wife wanted to see it and I didn't but the top less tilted the vote to go. at first it was like wow look at all the boobs. Then about 90 Seconds later we were both ready for it to end.

They do a behind the scenes tour that we wanted to do but didn't have time. I would still be interested in doing that.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
Greasyjohn
Greasyjohn
  • Threads: 135
April 3rd, 2015 at 11:04:20 PM permalink
I saw this show in 1980 or '81 and it was the best show in Vegas in my opinion. And I saw just about all of them back then. I love dancing, and Jubille was an extravaganza, the quintessential Vegas show. Maybe it has lost its edge over the years, or maybe styles change.

I don't think I'd be much interested in any of the Cirque shows. Gymnastic moves, contortionists and special effects just don't impress me much. And I don't want to look at characters with other-wordly looks on their faces trying to look like they walk on all fours.

I have only been to one Vegas show in 25 years. It was Scintas at the Rio in '02. Great Show!

Just give me a good lounge act and I'm happy. The Elvis impersonator at the El Cortez wasn't that good. Last year I listened to him while I was playing blackjack. If he was better I would have stood outside the bar to catch a look. I like good singing too.
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
April 4th, 2015 at 5:00:52 AM permalink
Quote: Greasyjohn

I don't think I'd be much interested in any of the Cirque shows. Gymnastic moves, contortionists and special effects just don't impress me much. And I don't want to look at characters with other-wordly looks on their faces trying to look like they walk on all fours.

I agree that some of the Cirque shows are "out there" a bit and things like the made-up languages that the characters occasionally speak are, well, just bizarre. And not everyone's cup of tea.

However, I can and do definitely recommend the Cirque BEATLES LOVE show at the MIRAGE. They make the most of a multi-media format, and there is always so much going on on-stage that if you don't care for a particular segment, something completely different is coming up in a few minutes. Several segments are very artistic and beautiful, combining ballet with aerial shows.

By having the stage in the center of the theatre, with seating all around, all of the seats are pretty good for this show. I don't care much for sitting way in the back of a standard theatre for other shows.
There's emptiness behind their eyes There's dust in all their hearts They just want to steal us all and take us all apart
Wanderer
Wanderer
  • Threads: 19
April 4th, 2015 at 11:54:16 AM permalink
I saw Jubilee a couple of years ago and liked it fine.

For those of you who are fans of the Rocky movies, Jubilee Theater was where Apollo Creed got his ass kicked by Ivan Drago in Rocky IV. The show's influence on the scene is very recognizable.
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
April 4th, 2015 at 11:59:09 AM permalink
Quote: Wanderer

I saw Jubilee a couple of years ago and liked it fine.

At that time, did they have more than 1 variety act to break-up the song and dance routines ?

The Caesar's website has an (outdated) excerpt from a Frommer's review:

"A classic Vegas spectacular, crammed with singing, dancing, magic, acrobats, elaborate costumes and sets, and, of course, bare breasts".

As of last week, you can cross out the magic and acrobats.
Wanderer
Wanderer
  • Threads: 19
April 4th, 2015 at 12:31:40 PM permalink
I will be honest. Except for all the tits bouncing around and the Rocky IV stuff, I don't remember much about it. But I like tits and visiting filming locations is a hobby of mine, so I was happy with the show.
bw
bw
  • Threads: 7
April 4th, 2015 at 2:00:50 PM permalink
Quote: Wanderer

But I like tits

Who doesn't?
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
April 4th, 2015 at 2:31:35 PM permalink
We could make that a poll question but I think I know what the results would be.
tringlomane
tringlomane
  • Threads: 8
April 5th, 2015 at 12:02:13 AM permalink
I saw the "old" version of "Jubilee" in 2012, and by the reviews I read of the "revamped" version, I'm glad I saw the "old" version.

The "old" version was a bit dated, but fine. I would even go as far as saying I'd enjoy it without the boobs.

I have no plans seeing the updated version though.

And if "Jubilee" doesn't watch their step, it could turn into this...

JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
April 5th, 2015 at 6:08:45 AM permalink
Quote: tringlomane

I saw the "old" version of "Jubilee" in 2012, and by the reviews I read of the "revamped" version, I'm glad I saw the "old" version.

I reread the Las Vegas Review-Journal review. That was definitely NOT the show I saw last week. So maybe the "revamped" version has already been scrapped and they are back to the original ?

A few years I saw a concert by Taylor Hicks, the American Idol winner from 2006, at the bar/showroom in the corner of Bally's. He did a FANTASTIC job. We didn't know what to expect going in, but it was a high energy performance and he put his heart and soul into it. I don't think he is currently performing in Vegas.

Forbes Article from 2014 on Taylor Hicks
GWAE
GWAE
April 5th, 2015 at 7:22:53 AM permalink
I never knew the idol winners has to give idol people half of their earnings. I wonder how long they have to do that for.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
Greasyjohn
Greasyjohn
  • Threads: 135
April 5th, 2015 at 7:51:45 AM permalink
If Jubille has lost some of its edge and relevance, I like to think that it happened because Fluff Lecoque rertired.
Venthus
Venthus
  • Threads: 24
April 5th, 2015 at 10:21:20 AM permalink
I agree with the assessment that the duo doing the synchronized robot was the highlight of the show. Which was kind of sad, considering it was supposed to be the showgirls.

Quote: JohnnyQ

We could make that a poll question but I think I know what the results would be.

The bigots, I'm guessing.
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
March 24th, 2016 at 12:01:20 PM permalink
And it's gone. RIP.

LAS VEGAS SUNARTICLE

I'm not sure if it has been replaced by anything. I didn't get over to Bally's earlier this week.
TwoFeathersATL
TwoFeathersATL
  • Threads: 37
March 24th, 2016 at 12:40:51 PM permalink

And it's gone. RIP.

LAS VEGAS SUNARTICLE

I'm not sure if it has been replaced by anything. I didn't get over to Bally's earlier this week.

I never got to see this show, hate to see it gone, eagerly await it's replacement. Read the Thread from OP to current. 'Rascal Ratings' have been adjusted, based on the posts above ;-)
Youuuuuu MIGHT be a 'rascal' if.......(nevermind ;-)...2F
GWAE
GWAE
March 24th, 2016 at 12:45:28 PM permalink

And it's gone. RIP.

LAS VEGAS SUNARTICLE

My wife wanted to see it on our honeymoon. I wasn't all that interested but if she wants to take me somewhere to see boobs, who am I to argue. About 9 minutes into the show I was bored beyond belief and couldn't wait to leave.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 209
March 24th, 2016 at 12:47:56 PM permalink
Quote: GWAE

We saw it in 2010. Wife wanted to see it and I didn't but the top less tilted the vote to go. at first it was like wow look at all the boobs. Then about 90 Seconds later we were both ready for it to end..

Should of reduced the show to 89 seconds. Always leave the crowd wanting more.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
PokerGrinder
PokerGrinder
  • Threads: 26
March 24th, 2016 at 12:56:44 PM permalink
Quote: GWAE

We saw it in 2010. Wife wanted to see it and I didn't but the top less tilted the vote to go. at first it was like wow look at all the boobs. Then about 90 Seconds later we were both ready for it to end.

They do a behind the scenes tour that we wanted to do but didn't have time. I would still be interested in doing that.

This was exactly what me and my ex thought when we saw it three years ago. I got free tickets because of my diamond card and my gf at the time convinced me to go. The boobs definitely were the biggest selling point other than making her happy. We were both bored out of our minds about 30 minutes in. It's a smaller venue so neither one of us wanted to be rude and leave. I liked the boobs for about 90 seconds like GWAE and then boredom took over. The joke I kept making afterwards was I have never been so bored looking at 40 boobs in my life. :)
You can shear a sheep a hundred times, but you can skin it only once. — Amarillo Slim Preston
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
March 24th, 2016 at 1:21:10 PM permalink
I liked the trained dogs. I am not sure how you teach a dog to walk on a slack line, but I was impressed. The girls with Big feathery headgear, not so much, but it was a nice throwback to classic mid-century Vegas.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
March 24th, 2016 at 7:16:09 PM permalink
Quote: Ayecarumba

I liked the trained dogs.

No trained dogs when I was there last. Maybe they were too expensive for CET to keep in the show ? The version I saw had the 2 bald brothers with the cool robotic dancing routing. It was the crowd favorite. 2nd place was the 40 boobs on stage.
SanchoPanza
SanchoPanza
  • Threads: 34
March 24th, 2016 at 8:33:20 PM permalink

The version I saw had the 2 bald brothers with the cool robotic dancing routing. It was the crowd favorite. 2nd place was the 40 boobs on stage.

You mean that the audience could tell the difference?
  • Jump to: