Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 964
Thanks for this post from:
JohnnyQ
February 23rd, 2017 at 5:18:06 PM permalink
I got an Email through Caesars that they are giving away free tickets to a taping of Penn & Teller's Fool Us show. The premise is aspiring magicians perform before them, and a studio audience, in an effort to fool Penn & Teller. Whether or not they do, P&T give them suggestions and their overall impression of the act. Unfortunately, if P&T where not fooled, they don't explain the secret to the audience.

I'm planning to go but haven't picked a day yet.

Here is a link: PENN & TELLER: FOOL US.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 65
February 23rd, 2017 at 5:44:42 PM permalink
I watch that show on youtube
Especially the ones where they are fooled
Its a real good show with some impressive talent trying to fool P & T
"Everybody's bragging and drinking that wine, I can tell the Queen of Diamonds by the way she shines, Come to Daddy on an inside straight, I got no chance of losing this time" -Grateful Dead- "Loser"
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 206
February 23rd, 2017 at 6:17:00 PM permalink
I enjoy "Fool Us". It is really interesting when Penn and Teller attempt to communicate to the performer that they know how the illusion was done without giving it away to the audience. A couple of times, the "judge" (apparently, a producer who knows how the illusion works, has had to chime in that P&T were fooled or not. If you fool them, a trophy topped by a big red, "FU" drops from the ceiling.

The tricks range from close-up to big mechanical props. Penn and Teller also perform once per show. I don't know if they tape their one trick each segment, or if they do a bunch then cut them together later.

I always wonder if the illusionist who choose random audience members as part of their performance are actually using plants, despite the affirmation from Penn that performers have to sign off agreeing not to do so.

If you have a choice, try to sit in the lower left section as you face the stage. That is where a lot of the "random" folks are chosen from to assist on stage, probably because it is close to the stairs.

Have fun! Take the kids if it is allowed. They might get picked to help on stage.
America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, bad-ass speed. - Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 66
February 23rd, 2017 at 7:11:37 PM permalink
That makes me sad. I reserved a seat to see how it works. It gave me a ticket right away. It says expect to be there for 4 hours. I would like to see how the show is actuslly put together. I have never been to a tv show.

Now I gotta see if I could fly out for 1 day.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 51
February 23rd, 2017 at 10:36:36 PM permalink
Thanks for the link . I got two tickets for one night, and a friend I forwarded it to got two tix on his Anniversary. I can just see him telling his wife he got her tickets for Penn and Teller for it.
It's what you do and not what you say If you're not part of the future then get out of the way
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
  • Threads: 185
February 24th, 2017 at 3:18:49 AM permalink
Thanks for the link. Unfortunately for us, the last show on the schedule is a couple of days before our next trip.
I remember the thirty-five sweet goodbyes; When you put me on the Wolverine up to Annandale; It was still September When your daddy was quite surprised; To find you with the working girls in the county jail; I was smoking with the boys upstairs when I Heard about the whole affair;I said oh no William and Mary won't do
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 964
February 24th, 2017 at 6:33:43 AM permalink
Quote: Ayecarumba

I always wonder if the illusionist who choose random audience members as part of their performance are actually using plants, despite the affirmation from Penn that performers have to sign off agreeing not to do so.

Good for P&T for prohibiting audience plants. I think all magicians should abide by a code to not use them.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
ams288
ams288
  • Threads: 11
February 24th, 2017 at 6:40:26 AM permalink
Looks like the last show is on March 22. I'll be in town March 25-29. Shame. I would have gone.
The geniuses who thought HRC was running a child sex ring out of the basement of a pizza shop just can't connect the dots on all this trump-Russia stuff....
DJTeddyBear
DJTeddyBear
  • Threads: 161
February 24th, 2017 at 7:57:20 AM permalink
If I was in town then I'd be all over it.

Quote: Wizard

Good for P&T for prohibiting audience plants. I think all magicians should abide by a code to not use them.

On his podcast, Penn mentioned that non-plants work better and provide more natural reactions and better results than plants.
Superstitions are silly, childish, irrational rituals, born out of fear of the unknown. But how much does it cost to knock on wood? Note that the same could be said for Religion. I.E. Religion is nothing more than organized superstition.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 206
February 24th, 2017 at 11:16:07 AM permalink
Quote: DJTeddyBear

If I was in town then I'd be all over it.

On his podcast, Penn mentioned that non-plants work better and provide more natural reactions and better results than plants.

That being said, coming from a magician, I put it in the same category of truthfulness as "Nothing up my sleeve..."
America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, bad-ass speed. - Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936

• Jump to: