ahiromu
ahiromu
  • Threads: 109
March 30th, 2016 at 3:55:04 PM permalink
What's even the purpose? Do they think they will get less flack for misleading advertising than increasing prices a little bit? It just seems absurd to have this practice instead of increasing all your prices by 5%.

Maybe 4.7% is the tax they pay the hotels? Even then... It's Vegas... Just charge more.
Its - Possessive; It's - "It is" / "It has"; There - Location; Their - Possessive; They're - "They are"
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 959
March 30th, 2016 at 6:28:42 PM permalink
Speaking as Las Vegan, I'm embarrassed that the city and state allow this. Goes to show how spineless the judges and regulators are. I'd like to hope that customers would just take their business elsewhere, but as we've seen with 6-5 blackjack, I am not counting on it.

P.S. I have half a mind to eat there and then sue to get my 4.7% back, hoping to win and set a precedent.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 75
March 30th, 2016 at 6:36:33 PM permalink
Quote: ahiromu

What's even the purpose? Do they think they will get less flack for misleading advertising than increasing prices a little bit? It just seems absurd to have this practice instead of increasing all your prices by 5%.

Maybe 4.7% is the tax they pay the hotels? Even then... It's Vegas... Just charge more.

I saw this on the tab the last (and I mean the last) time we ate there (was still Sugar Shack) and they claimed it's a pass-thru concession fee from Paris for them to occupy the space.

Me, I call that rent, and figure it into the overhead of my business, wherever it's located. Given their pricing (semi-expensive), I thought then and still do that it's pure crap.
"If the house lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game."
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
March 30th, 2016 at 6:42:39 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

I saw this on the tab the last (and I mean the last) time we ate there (was still Sugar Shack) and they claimed it's a pass-thru concession fee from Paris for them to occupy the space.

Are you referring to the WoV spring fling we had there? I would have raised a stink if I noticed it.

You're absolutely right. Rent is a cost of doing business. Just pass it on in your prices, like everybody else.

p.s. Already wrote to my attorney to see if he is interested in going down in flames with me again in a principle-based lawsuit.
ahiromu
ahiromu
  • Threads: 109
March 30th, 2016 at 7:20:49 PM permalink
I'm afraid that it might be here to stay, as with resort fees, most people don't experience them often enough to get really ticked off. It's just yet another cost to an overpriced vacation.

I love the legal challenge, but it just seems to be so futile. I would compare it to forced tips on large groups, which is fine as long as it's disclosed (from my little bit of googling). Please keep us apprised.
Its - Possessive; It's - "It is" / "It has"; There - Location; Their - Possessive; They're - "They are"
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 75
March 30th, 2016 at 7:24:35 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Are you referring to the WoV spring fling we had there? I would have raised a stink if I noticed it.

You're absolutely right. Rent is a cost of doing business. Just pass it on in your prices, like everybody else.

p.s. Already wrote to my attorney to see if he is interested in going down in flames with me again in a principle-based lawsuit.

Dinner that night was me, SOOPOO, Ahigh, and Brad from that VegasCard thing. It was awful; the place was under construction, changing to Hexx, the food was just B-A-D after it had been so good, and then there was this.....charge. That I had not seen on previous visits there, FWIW, and I'm a bill-checker, though it's possible I missed it before.
"If the house lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game."
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
March 30th, 2016 at 7:45:08 PM permalink
Quote: ahiromu

I love the legal challenge, but it just seems to be so futile. I would compare it to forced tips on large groups, which is fine as long as it's disclosed (from my little bit of googling). Please keep us apprised.

My lawyer has shown interest already and is looking for a hook to hang our hat on. Surely if there is a "disclose" law there should be something stating the disclosure must be reasonable. If there were no standards, the restaurant could use a font so small you would need a microscope to read it, like the micro-printing on US currency.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 62
March 30th, 2016 at 8:06:02 PM permalink

I really respect what the two of you did in the last lawsuit. If you are going to fight another battle please make it against resort fees. Once the government cleaned up the airlines and required the coupling of fees, I was sure someone would follow that up and do the same with the hotels.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
March 30th, 2016 at 9:33:01 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

I really respect what the two of you did in the last lawsuit. If you are going to fight another battle please make it against resort fees. Once the government cleaned up the airlines and required the coupling of fees, I was sure someone would follow that up and do the same with the hotels.

Thank you. I hate resort fees too, passionately. My lawyer and I had many Emails and conversations about a strategy but couldn't find any good legal argument to frame our case on. In every case I looked at, I thought the resort fee was disclosed fairly early in the booking process. I'm still open to any situation where a hotel will let you book a room at one price, but surprises you with the resort fee when you check in.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 205
March 30th, 2016 at 10:18:48 PM permalink

Thank you. I hate resort fees too, passionately. My lawyer and I had many Emails and conversations about a strategy but couldn't find any good legal argument to frame our case on. In every case I looked at, I thought the resort fee was disclosed fairly early in the booking process. I'm still open to any situation where a hotel will let you book a room at one price, but surprises you with the resort fee when you check in.

How did the airline fees case get off the ground? Maybe a similar strategy can be used against resort and concessionaire fees. I think of it as racketeering. What option do consumer's have to opt out? If you want to stay or eat, the operators have conspired together to gouge your wallet.
America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, bad-ass speed. - Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936

• Jump to: