sodawater
sodawater
  • Threads: 64
March 10th, 2016 at 7:36:51 PM permalink
Anyone ever take a helicopter / chopper ride from the Las Vegas Strip to the Grand Canyon and back?

How was it? Do they have options to land at the canyon or just fly over it? Which is better? I do NOT want to be doing any hiking. Just want to see it.

Which companies did you use? Was transportation to and from the airport / Strip provided?

Any info on prices or discounts available? How many friends can go in a group? Group size might be anywhere from 2-4.

Thinking about late march / early april.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1491
March 10th, 2016 at 7:53:03 PM permalink
I have!

I did a package with a company with red helicopters that lands by the river, you do about a half hour boat ride, then get back in the helicopter and fly back. So, hardly any time in the canyon. The boat ride didn't do much for me.

I know the Grand Canyon quite well and was disappointed with the landing spot, which is in the west Grand Canyon, which is only about half as deep as the National Park at the north or south rim. However, if you aren't familiar with the better spots, you would probably be impressed.

Discounts are probably going to be hard to come by. As I recall, the helicopters fit four guests.

If you've never been in a helicopter and/or have never been to the Grand Canyon -- go ahead. It is expensive but a trip you'll never forget.

Still, I think if you want to do the Grand Canyon properly, then pay a visit to the National Park on either the north or south rim.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
sodawater
sodawater
  • Threads: 64
March 10th, 2016 at 8:51:26 PM permalink
Thanks, Wizard. A tour that lands for a 30-min boat ride sounds just about perfect for my purposes. Do you remember the company?
Aussie
Aussie
  • Threads: 12
March 10th, 2016 at 10:59:11 PM permalink
I did one in 2010 with Maverick. Can't remember what it cost but was reasonable. They picked us up from our Stip hotel and took us to their airfield. Tour consisted of flight to and from the Grand Canyon as well as landing inside for about 45min with a lunch pack and glass of sparkling wine. It was good fun and would recommend.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
March 12th, 2016 at 11:42:51 PM permalink
I suggest you try Papillon Helicopter Tours.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
BlueEagle
BlueEagle
  • Threads: 5
March 13th, 2016 at 6:41:12 PM permalink
If you play myVEGAS, they have Rewards for Maverick helicopter rides to the Grand Canyon.

Groupon has discounts for helicopter tours of the Strip and Red Rock Mtn, but not Grand Canyon. However, there are discounts for bus tours to Grand Canyon.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
March 13th, 2016 at 7:48:42 PM permalink
Quote: sodawater

Thanks, Wizard. A tour that lands for a 30-min boat ride sounds just about perfect for my purposes. Do you remember the company?

I just looked for the DVD from the trip, but couldn't find it. However, I'm about 90% sure it was Papillon, which I think means butterfly in French.

BTW, one of my favorite trivia questions is the greatest cause of death in the Grand Canyon. The answer is aviation disasters.
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
March 14th, 2016 at 4:55:59 AM permalink
I have never been there. If you are going to go 1 time only, is it more impressive to see it from the top looking in or landing on the bottom looking up?
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
March 14th, 2016 at 10:05:41 AM permalink
Quote: GWAE

I have never been there. If you are going to go 1 time only, is it more impressive to see it from the top looking in or landing on the bottom looking up?

I prefer at the bottom looking up.
Asswhoopermcdaddy
Asswhoopermcdaddy
  • Threads: 87
March 15th, 2016 at 8:52:45 AM permalink
I was thinking about the helicopter, but it was pretty expensive. I'm doing the Hot Air Balloon Ride instead.
TwoFeathersATL
TwoFeathersATL
  • Threads: 37
March 15th, 2016 at 12:39:07 PM permalink
Quote: Asswhoopermcdaddy

I was thinking about the helicopter, but it was pretty expensive. I'm doing the Hot Air Balloon Ride instead.

I am afraid of heights, think it's called 'up in the air aphobia'. I'm going to wait for the release of the video, then watch it from my couch, with my seatbelt securely fastened ;-)
Youuuuuu MIGHT be a 'rascal' if.......(nevermind ;-)...2F
coilman
coilman
  • Threads: 139
March 15th, 2016 at 2:15:33 PM permalink
Quote: TwoFeathersATL

I am afraid of heights, think it's called 'up in the air aphobia'. I'm going to wait for the release of the video, then watch it from my couch, with my seatbelt securely fastened ;-)

Yeah me too....never flew till I was 44 years old.... had to for work ,flying us to job in Northern British Columbia (Fort Nelson)from Calgary few hours flying compared to 16 hrs driving time ..... small small plane big big mountains

http://www.flynca.com/fleet/king-air-200

They didn't tell me in advance we needed to copter in the last 20 minutes to camp.... 20 in the copter or three hours in the pickup on some pretty bad roads.... the red retired med evac copter that comes up

http://www.qwesthelicopters.com/aircraft.html

Trip back was a piece of cake, been in copters about a dozen times up there pretty smooth sailing except when the pilot puts it on its side so we could see his moose he was going to get the next week when hunting season opened LOL....

YOU get a chance to take a helicopter flight jump in its a blast....only part where it feels odd is at liftoff rest of time its
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
March 15th, 2016 at 3:52:32 PM permalink
Flew with qwest in Juneau to the top of several mountains on a wind mitigation project. They were terrific. They were also charging 1000 per hour, but it was very hazardous, so they probably earned it.

The best part was landing on the Mendenhall glacier. Blue and beautiful.

I've also gotten to fly in the ESPN helicopter over the Daytona 500. The Juneau flight was the only one to top it, helicopter wise.

Haven't done the gc via copter, but got to fly 200 miles of it at 2000 ft in the jump seat of a 757. So I kinda checked that off the bucket list. However, I do need to see it from below, as Mike recommended.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
March 15th, 2016 at 4:16:44 PM permalink
Quote: coilman

Yeah me too....never flew till I was 44 years old.... had to for work ,flying us to job in Northern British Columbia (Fort Nelson)from Calgary few hours flying compared to 16 hrs driving time ..... small small plane big big mountains

http://www.flynca.com/fleet/king-air-200

They didn't tell me in advance we needed to copter in the last 20 minutes to camp.... 20 in the copter or three hours in the pickup on some pretty bad roads.... the red retired med evac copter that comes up

http://www.qwesthelicopters.com/aircraft.html

Trip back was a piece of cake, been in copters about a dozen times up there pretty smooth sailing except when the pilot puts it on its side so we could see his moose he was going to get the next week when hunting season opened LOL....

YOU get a chance to take a helicopter flight jump in its a blast....only part where it feels odd is at liftoff rest of time its

When the copter is moving, it is great. However, when the thing "hovers" it is like being trapped in a bouncing elevator. I don't know why the hovering part is so upsetting, and the moving part not a problem. Nevertheless, I do recommend the experience, with air-sickness bag caveat, to everyone who asks.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
coilman
coilman
  • Threads: 139
March 15th, 2016 at 5:53:02 PM permalink
Quote: Ayecarumba

When the copter is moving, it is great. However, when the thing "hovers" it is like being trapped in a bouncing elevator. I don't know why the hovering part is so upsetting, and the moving part not a problem. Nevertheless, I do recommend the experience, with air-sickness bag caveat, to everyone who asks.

The only time we felt like anything was hovering was this blue helicopter we passed heading to the same camp... as we passed him he looked like he was sitting still .....other photo the pilot seems pretty relaxed with his cruise control on for the long 20 minute flight

Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
March 15th, 2016 at 6:08:38 PM permalink
Cool pix. Seeing the Huey with the greenery below makes me think there's Napalm fireballs, or a chain gun out of an open side door in the near future.

The pilot on my ride had a sponge taped to the stick. I suppose that was to provide some cushion against the nerve killing vibration. Flying a helicopter appears to be a really hard thing to do. It's like playing a huge organ because both hands and both feet are involved in different tasks.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
  • Jump to: