sodawater
sodawater
  • Threads: 60
March 10th, 2016 at 7:36:51 PM permalink
Anyone ever take a helicopter / chopper ride from the Las Vegas Strip to the Grand Canyon and back?

How was it? Do they have options to land at the canyon or just fly over it? Which is better? I do NOT want to be doing any hiking. Just want to see it.

Which companies did you use? Was transportation to and from the airport / Strip provided?

Any info on prices or discounts available? How many friends can go in a group? Group size might be anywhere from 2-4.

Thinking about late march / early april.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 972
March 10th, 2016 at 7:53:03 PM permalink
I have!

I did a package with a company with red helicopters that lands by the river, you do about a half hour boat ride, then get back in the helicopter and fly back. So, hardly any time in the canyon. The boat ride didn't do much for me.

I know the Grand Canyon quite well and was disappointed with the landing spot, which is in the west Grand Canyon, which is only about half as deep as the National Park at the north or south rim. However, if you aren't familiar with the better spots, you would probably be impressed.

Discounts are probably going to be hard to come by. As I recall, the helicopters fit four guests.

If you've never been in a helicopter and/or have never been to the Grand Canyon -- go ahead. It is expensive but a trip you'll never forget.

Still, I think if you want to do the Grand Canyon properly, then pay a visit to the National Park on either the north or south rim.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
sodawater
sodawater
  • Threads: 60
March 10th, 2016 at 8:51:26 PM permalink
Thanks, Wizard. A tour that lands for a 30-min boat ride sounds just about perfect for my purposes. Do you remember the company?
Aussie
Aussie
  • Threads: 12
March 10th, 2016 at 10:59:11 PM permalink
I did one in 2010 with Maverick. Can't remember what it cost but was reasonable. They picked us up from our Stip hotel and took us to their airfield. Tour consisted of flight to and from the Grand Canyon as well as landing inside for about 45min with a lunch pack and glass of sparkling wine. It was good fun and would recommend.
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 76
March 12th, 2016 at 11:42:51 PM permalink
I suggest you try Papillon Helicopter Tours.
"If the house lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game."
BlueEagle
BlueEagle
  • Threads: 5
March 13th, 2016 at 6:41:12 PM permalink
If you play myVEGAS, they have Rewards for Maverick helicopter rides to the Grand Canyon.

Groupon has discounts for helicopter tours of the Strip and Red Rock Mtn, but not Grand Canyon. However, there are discounts for bus tours to Grand Canyon.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
March 13th, 2016 at 7:48:42 PM permalink
Quote: sodawater

Thanks, Wizard. A tour that lands for a 30-min boat ride sounds just about perfect for my purposes. Do you remember the company?

I just looked for the DVD from the trip, but couldn't find it. However, I'm about 90% sure it was Papillon, which I think means butterfly in French.

BTW, one of my favorite trivia questions is the greatest cause of death in the Grand Canyon. The answer is aviation disasters.
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 68
March 14th, 2016 at 4:55:59 AM permalink
I have never been there. If you are going to go 1 time only, is it more impressive to see it from the top looking in or landing on the bottom looking up?
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
March 14th, 2016 at 10:05:41 AM permalink
Quote: GWAE

I have never been there. If you are going to go 1 time only, is it more impressive to see it from the top looking in or landing on the bottom looking up?

I prefer at the bottom looking up.
Asswhoopermcdaddy
Asswhoopermcdaddy
  • Threads: 81
March 15th, 2016 at 8:52:45 AM permalink
I was thinking about the helicopter, but it was pretty expensive. I'm doing the Hot Air Balloon Ride instead.

• Jump to: