MrEng
MrEng
  • Threads: 1
December 13th, 2014 at 9:24:05 AM permalink
I really want to do this, but I don't have the time to drive out from the East Coast in my own vehicle, so a rental is more realistic.

I've done a little research on this and done some driving in the Mojave Preserve and this is what a found

1) Nothing's illegal about taking a rental out there, but you have to be ready to pony up for any damage or loss since you are breaking the contract by taking it on an unmaintained road.
2) Most of the road can be done in a vehicle with tires air'd down--the toughest sections are in washes or trails going off the Mojave road.
3) The rental 4wd's can come with crappy street tires, sometimes pretty worn, so when given the choice, you have to pick one with the best tires.
4) Farrabees offers jeeps but there is significant daily mileage limit on them that makes it impractical to get to the Mojave road.
5) Never reserve a 4wd. Start with a small car, and haggle the price down on a 4wd at the desk--works every time, as long as a 4wd is available. And make sure you are not getting a 2wd "SUV".
6) Its pretty stupid to do this with by yourself with one vehicle because of all the things that can go wrong
7) Nu-finish scratch remover is pretty helpful.

Any comments from people who have done the road--tourists or locals?
  • Jump to: