beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
February 9th, 2015 at 8:55:29 AM permalink
Hi, all. Need your help on something.

We had a guy sign up this morning, did not post or blog, but was spamming members via PM. I was alerted to it by (likely) one of the first people he spammed, but he didn't tell me it was via PM so I thought it was a thread somewhere, searched but couldn't find it.

Exchanged PM's with that member asking for the link to the thread, who said it was a PM but didn't name the member. Asked for the name. While waiting, heard from another member that he'd received a PM (same type of language characterized as the first), but he named the spammer, though said he was not sure about sharing the PM.

So I was able to nuke the spammer (who had not PM'd me) at that point; however, that means he had about an hour to spam a bunch of you. Sorry about that. If you got the PM, please do not respond to this person; there is no indication he is legit.

So I'm going on the record here, as I think this illustrates a pendulum swing and overcorrection erring on the side of caution. If you receive unwanted PM's from spammers/system sellers specifically, especially new members, and it's the type of thing that, if posted in a thread, would cause a nuke, you are absolutely able by the rules to give me/another mod the name, quote the text, forward the spam, say whatever you want to indicate that it needs to be taken care of, and we'll take care of it. You will not be in violation if you are trying to help us police the board.

Thanks.

EDIT: AoS created a public thread with a screen shot of the PM. I include what he did in publishing the PM as not breaking the rules in this instance, but would strongly discourage it in the future, because it gets the clown's message out there better than the clown did. Please handle it as requested above. Thanks!
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
  • Jump to: