2 votes (40%)
No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)

5 members have voted

imperialpalace
imperialpalace
  • Threads: 1
September 6th, 2011 at 3:07:17 PM permalink
This occurred on Sunday when 8th ranked Texas A&M took the field against the Southern Methodist University at home in College Station. SMU threw for two interceptions on their first two possessions, leading to 14 A&M points. On their third possession, SMU methodically moves down the field and scores a touchdown. On the ensuing kickoff, the SMU kicker (whose body type tends to lend more towards NHL enforcer than collegiate kicker) proceeds to kick the ball at a total distance of three yards. Three. This is after the kicker appeared to actually kick the ball backwards a second time. For those unfamiliar with Fútbol Americano, a kicker is supposed to kick the football at least 10 yards before the kicking team can recover. Kickers know this rule, so this is why I have never seen a football travel that short a distance on an onside kick.

For us gambling junkies, the spread was 15 1/2. A&M scored a touchdown after the failed onside kick and never looked back. Texas A&M won the game 46-14.

Here is a link to the momentum killer: SMU kicker

For reference's sake, here are other options to choose from:
Last year's game between Texas Tech and Baylor: Texas Tech Fail
Jacksonville Jaguars v. Indianapolis Colts: Professional Fail
Hate to pick on Texas Tech again, but....this time against Iowa State: Texas Tech Fail #2
No word on whether the Texas Tech's kicker had his scholarship revoked....
7outlineaway
7outlineaway
  • Threads: 9
September 6th, 2011 at 3:22:25 PM permalink
It looks like the SMU kicker simply whiffed. The "second kick" seems to have been just his back foot striking the ball, not an intentional kick. As I understand the rules, that would have counted as "illegal touching" because a member of the kicking team touched the ball before it want 10 yards.

While it was an error in execution, it doesn't strike me as an error in judgement. OTOH, Garo Ypremian's famous pass attempt in the Super Bowl was a clear error in judgement and deserves to be ridiculed. Something similar occurred in last year's Steelers/Ravens playoff game, when a Raven ran a ball into the enzone while the Steelers stood around thinking the play was dead. None of the other links seem like errors in judgement to me.

Also, am I the only one who is getting sick of the phrase, "epic fail"? Like no one ever makes mistakes?
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
September 6th, 2011 at 3:29:57 PM permalink
The last one seems a bit harsh and probably counts as "epic win" for the hands guy rather than onside kick fail.

The worst one is the failed kick left alone on the ground. That's a dozy. But I also voted for the Jags/Colts as I don't expect such things to happen in the big boys league.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
imperialpalace
imperialpalace
  • Threads: 1
September 6th, 2011 at 11:55:33 PM permalink
Quote: 7outlineaway

It looks like the SMU kicker simply whiffed. The "second kick" seems to have been just his back foot striking the ball, not an intentional kick. As I understand the rules, that would have counted as "illegal touching" because a member of the kicking team touched the ball before it want 10 yards.

While it was an error in execution, it doesn't strike me as an error in judgement. OTOH, Garo Ypremian's famous pass attempt in the Super Bowl was a clear error in judgement and deserves to be ridiculed. Something similar occurred in last year's Steelers/Ravens playoff game, when a Raven ran a ball into the enzone while the Steelers stood around thinking the play was dead. None of the other links seem like errors in judgement to me.

Also, am I the only one who is getting sick of the phrase, "epic fail"? Like no one ever makes mistakes?

With regards to SMU, the failed onside kicked deflated the entire team. The look of riverboat gambler and SMU head coach June Jones' face was priceless. Pick your poison: if SMU was not penalized for illegal touching, then they would been penalized for not kicking the ball 10 yards.

Although not an onside kick, Garo Yepremian's "pass" (extremely charitable just to call it a pass) was downright hilarious. I suppose that even Dolphin fans could laugh about it, considering that the "pass" did not ruin their perfect season. Here's a link, starts at 2:22. NFL Films

I remember watching the Ravens-Steelers game, but the Steelers won the game so no harm, no foul. Not a Steelers fan, but it seems that the Steelers own the Ravens in the playoffs.

I am fond of the word fail, as I am a fan of one particular website:Fail Blog. I tend to agree that the term "epic fail" should be used more sparingly. Not every event should be in league with the works of Homer and Milton.
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
September 7th, 2011 at 9:14:59 AM permalink
Quote: imperialpalace

Although not an onside kick, Garo Yepremian's "pass" (extremely charitable just to call it a pass) was downright hilarious. I suppose that even Dolphin fans could laugh about it, considering that the "pass" did not ruin their perfect season. Here's a link, starts at 2:22. NFL Films

Two things about that incident:

1) Mr. Yepremian explained what happened in that play once. Part of the explanation was that his hands were too small to properly handle the ball, which I find hard to belive. He says in effect the ball slipped out his hand when he tried his "pass."

2) He must have been a very good kicker if Shula didn't fire him. He not only risked the perfect season, he risked the Super Bowl.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
thecesspit
thecesspit
September 7th, 2011 at 10:19:01 AM permalink
I've played with a full sized american football. I can completely understand that his hands might be too small to grip the ball properly and make a pass, under pressure, when you never make such a move even not under pressure. A lot of those folly plays are from people not falling on the ball when necessary but trying to be the hero. I can see why in some cases (depends on the score and time left) but in some cases... just fall down, dammit.

You don't fire kickers for making a poor judgement when playing QB in a scramble play. Unless they keep doing it. You fire kickers for not kicking the ball between the posts on a regular basis.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
September 7th, 2011 at 10:44:41 AM permalink
Quote: thecesspit

I've played with a full sized american football. I can completely understand that his hands might be too small to grip the ball properly and make a pass, under pressure, when you never make such a move even not under pressure.

He might have been trying to grab it in the middle, where it's thickest, rather than in an end, where it should be held for a pass.

Quote:

A lot of those folly plays are from people not falling on the ball when necessary but trying to be the hero. I can see why in some cases (depends on the score and time left) but in some cases... just fall down, dammit.

I'd say that should be so of kickers and punters, who are not as experienced carryign the ball, even if they practice doing so. The rest of the team is a tougher call. Besides, sometimes they score or get a first down. QBs are taught never to run too far back of the line when scrambling. Just the same some of them have made amazing plays doing just that, inclusing Tony Romo not too long ago.

Quote:

You don't fire kickers for making a poor judgement when playing QB in a scramble play. Unless they keep doing it. You fire kickers for not kicking the ball between the posts on a regular basis.

During Shulla's reign, one of his punters had a standing green light to run the ball hismelf if he thought he could get away with it. This was a judgment call amde at or close to the snap, without even informing the rest of the team. The punter knew, though, he had the green light once. if he muffed it, the coach would rescind it. if he made a good call, he would still ahve the green light once more, but the same conditions would apply. i think he only ran the ball one time on his own responsibility.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
thecesspit
thecesspit
September 7th, 2011 at 11:39:30 AM permalink
Quote: Nareed

He might have been trying to grab it in the middle, where it's thickest, rather than in an end, where it should be held for a pass.

Erm... yes I know where to hold a ball to pass it, and I also know that with smaller than normal hands getting a good grip to throw it can be hard. How do I know? I have small hands than normal and have thrown a football. More than once. I'm not very good at it. My hands are to small to get a good grip on the ball. I've tried throwing on a muffed snap, with a 200lb lineman coming at me. It's even harder. I went back to playing centre after that in scrimmage, where I seemed to do perfectly fine in a snapping the ball despite of my hands. Go figure. (*)

You should also mock the kicker for his piss poor attempt at a tackle in that play.

(*) My playing was pretty amateur scrimmaging in the park type play, and not even comparable to high school football in the US. I just had the necessary knack to play centre somehow.
  • Jump to: