Thread Rating:

socks
socks
Joined: Jul 13, 2011
  • Threads: 15
  • Posts: 363
May 18th, 2014 at 12:24:42 AM permalink
Lol, yeah, the kids and their movable phones... when we went "lol", 20 years ago, it was over dial-up.
djatc
djatc
Joined: Jan 15, 2013
  • Threads: 80
  • Posts: 3617
May 18th, 2014 at 1:35:42 AM permalink
I don't know how anyone can type a paragraph on a smartphone and not misspell a word.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I said I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
GWAE
GWAE
Joined: Sep 20, 2013
  • Threads: 68
  • Posts: 6206
May 18th, 2014 at 6:55:31 AM permalink
Quote: bw

Moms shouldn't text, some of these are pretty funny:
http://shi77yadvice.com/25-absurd-texts-mom/



the first 4 or 5 were too funny.
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
Joined: Oct 10, 2012
  • Threads: 115
  • Posts: 12603
May 18th, 2014 at 8:17:52 AM permalink
Quote: djatc

I don't know how anyone can type a paragraph on a smartphone and not misspell a word.

I'll show you next time.

NVM, I thought you said, and misspell a word.
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
BleedingChipsSlowly
BleedingChipsSlowly
Joined: Jul 9, 2010
  • Threads: 11
  • Posts: 641
May 18th, 2014 at 9:26:36 AM permalink
Quote: djatc

I don't know how anyone can type a paragraph on a smartphone and not misspell a word.

You can't if you use automatic spelling correction. However, the "smart" phone may guess at correctly spelled words with hilarious results. One time my wife texted me to say our host had picked up our room as a comp, but the corrected text implied the host was in the room. I asked whether or not pistols at dawn would be required.
socks
socks
Joined: Jul 13, 2011
  • Threads: 15
  • Posts: 363
May 18th, 2014 at 1:01:25 PM permalink
Quote: BleedingChipsSlowly

You can't if you use automatic spelling correction. However, the "smart" phone may guess at correctly spelled words with hilarious results. One time my wife texted me to say our host had picked up our room as a comp, but the corrected text implied the host was in the room. I asked whether or not pistols at dawn would be required.


This could be great leverage for google backed phones. Apple's spellcheck is so bad that (more than once) my ipad has "corrected" the spelling I wanted, then Google has RE-corrected it before performing a search.
rudeboyoi
rudeboyoi
Joined: Mar 28, 2010
  • Threads: 25
  • Posts: 1988
May 18th, 2014 at 2:09:44 PM permalink
I got 2nd place in the 5th grade spelling bee spelling "separate" wrong. I wonder if I would've gotten it right if they pronounced it as an adjective instead.
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
Joined: Oct 10, 2012
  • Threads: 115
  • Posts: 12603
May 18th, 2014 at 2:51:20 PM permalink
I have something that pops up when a word is misspelled and asked if I want the spellchecker to add and remember it, occasionally I accidentally hit yes, then it will suggest that or auto correct it to that misspelled word. I have yet to fig out how to delete the misspelled words.
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
Mission146
Administrator
Mission146
Joined: May 15, 2012
  • Threads: 101
  • Posts: 9136
May 18th, 2014 at 6:39:01 PM permalink
Quote: rudeboyoi

I got 2nd place in the 5th grade spelling bee spelling "separate" wrong. I wonder if I would've gotten it right if they pronounced it as an adjective instead.



I got first in fifth grade and fourth in District (which does not advance to Regionals), I missed 'Hoedown,' never even so much as heard the word before, so I spelled it without the 'e.'
Vultures can't be choosers.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
Joined: Oct 14, 2009
  • Threads: 972
  • Posts: 16345
May 18th, 2014 at 6:44:32 PM permalink
Quote: rudeboyoi

I got 2nd place in the 5th grade spelling bee spelling "separate" wrong. I wonder if I would've gotten it right if they pronounced it as an adjective instead.



I've noticed that on televised spelling bees they always ask for the definition and etymology of a word, even if it seems obvious. Is this buying time or in the hopes that maybe something said in the answer will help?
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.

  • Jump to: